ADVERTISEMENT

Watching last year's Indiana game

FELONIOUSMONK

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2012
2nd quarter. Laviano looked like a warrior. Can he do that all year ? I know he looked altogether different at times over the course of the year but he did show flashes. Can he or anybody else do it without Mr Go-to "Caroo?This is a team we are expecting to act as a bridge to better days but I think with a tweak/break here and a tweak/break there we may be better than we think . Your thoughts?

He definitely showed some flashes there in the 2nd half, especially since he lost Carroo as a target. Martin was a beast, and nice to see PJ notch a TD.

Reactions: mikefla
That had to go down as one of the worst games of football every played. Love the resilience of the team, but both sides looked incompetent at times.

Agreed but as part of a body of work can he get over the consistency hump? I know he needs help from his line his wide outs and backs but for that day he looked like a qb.

That third quarter was brutal to watch. Our D looked like they were running in quicksand and the offense was offensive. I found myself forgetting this was actually a win at times.
But, Indiana is hardly a typical BIG program and they showed it by letting RU simply steal the game away from them, when by all accounts, they should have been dead in the water.
As for Laviano, he never showed the level of consistency to be a solid QB as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
That's the type of game your going to get when you match up the 112th and 121st ranked defenses. Same with the Maryland game, who had the 84th ranked defense. I still don't understand why people think these two teams are going to be better. They both lose a lot from what were already crappy defenses.

2nd quarter. Laviano looked like a warrior. Can he do that all year ? I know he looked altogether different at times over the course of the year but he did show flashes. Can he or anybody else do it without Mr Go-to "Caroo?This is a team we are expecting to act as a bridge to better days but I think with a tweak/break here and a tweak/break there we may be better than we think . Your thoughts?

He cant play Indiana all year, so the answer is probably no. If he did that versus a top team, then we could consider....can he do that all year.

I couldn't get over how inconsistent our OL was: at times they protected well and opened big holes for the RB's; other times Laviano was running for his life at the snap and the RB's had nowhere to go.

He cant play Indiana all year, so the answer is probably no. If he did that versus a top team, then we could consider....can he do that all year.
Like Michigan St? He could not have played any better that game. They made the playoffs.

Also MD but someone pointed out their Defense was not great either. My point has always been it is not just the QB. Sometimes they look bad on their own but most of the time it is because the whole Offense is getting beat by a better team. I feel like a broken record but it's only because we have so many fans that don't see it.

So the answer is yes. If we continue to run the ball well, give him time and get WR's open I think he can be a pretty good QB as do the people who ranked our QB's in the top half of the BIG. Having said that, I see him likely splitting time with someone else this season. Just a hunch.

Like Michigan St? He could not have played any better that game. They made the playoffs.

Also MD but someone pointed out their Defense was not great either. My point has always been it is not just the QB. Sometimes they look bad on their own but most of the time it is because the whole Offense is getting beat by a better team. I feel like a broken record but it's only because we have so many fans that don't see it.

So the answer is yes. If we continue to run the ball well, give him time and get WR's open I think he can be a pretty good QB as do the people who ranked our QB's in the top half of the BIG. Having said that, I see him likely splitting time with someone else this season. Just a hunch.
This game more than any other in Flood's tenure showed to me how incompetent the coaching staff was. They did all they could to put the team in a position to fail.

Indiana had a very nice offense. Their defense not so much.
returning players: 6 off. and 7 def.
Indiana's scheme is very good, but the ability to execute is another. When QB Sudfeld played IU average 45.1 pts per game. In the 2 games he was out IU average 12 pts per game. Sudfeld is gone and they have the same QBs on the roster from last year. Zander Diamont who was expected to be the next QB missed all of spring with surgery and may not be ready at the start of the season. This is the same guy Rutgers faced in 2014. The other QB to play last year was Danny Cameron and the HC said he's not ready. Cameron will likely redshirt. IU will now rely on JUCO transfer Richard Lagow to keep the engine running smoothly. Remember last year's offense was a B1G best at 35 pts per game. Do I expect them to average something similar...NO. I do expect to see a drop in production (maybe 28 pts per game) and that puts a lot of pressure on a bad defense. A defense that was 120th (total) in the nation and one that is switch from a 4/3 to 4/2/5. I'm not sure what you wanted to get smaller when teams pushed IU around by running the ball down their throats to the tune of 200 yds a game. Btw, did I mention their best defensive player (DT Darius Lathan) declared early for the draft and is no longer a member of the team.

(** Not to take anything away from Nova or the team, however, sometimes a little "perspective" is needed)

Indiana Team Defensive Statistics 2015 (out of 127 teams):

Passing Yards Allowed - 126th (that's right....next-to-last)
Total D - 120th
Scoring D - 116th
Pass Efficiency D - 80th

...let's stop the nonsense please.

Last edited:
Indiana Team Defensive Statistics 2015 (out of 127 teams):

Passing Yards Allowed - 126th (that's right....next-to-last)
Total D - 120th
Scoring D - 116th
Pass Efficiency D - 80th

...let's stop the nonsense please.

And it took an epic comeback to beat them....

And it took an epic comeback to beat them....
That was due to schematic error, gross mismanagement of team and general lack of preparation. There were and are athletes on this team. Kyle and staff wanted to make friends with the kids rather than coach them.

Last edited:
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
That was due to schematic error, gross mismanagement of team and general lack of preparation. There were and are athletes on this team. Kyle and staff wanted to make friends with the kids rather than coach them.
Kupuna
That's the point some posters miss. Rutgers beat Indiana mostly with talent and desire. It seemed coaching did everything possible to prevent a win. I think with Ash and the returning talent this game isn't as close.

Reactions: kupuna133
Kupuna
That's the point some posters miss. Rutgers beat Indiana mostly with talent and desire. It seemed coaching did everything possible to prevent a win. I think with Ash and the returning talent this game isn't as close.
Agreed. This was not a well coached team on and off the field. They won games in spite of poor preparation and schemes. I am not saying that this will be a quick fix and RU is immediately in the hunt but close games and some not so close can turn to wins with proper preparation. It's less to do with in game adjustments but what happens Sunday-Friday. The last couple of years I cannot recall stopping the opposing team on the first drive with any consistency or scoring on the first drive with any consistency.

A team cannot succeed when they are spotting the other team a 7 point lead. That falls directly on preparation and improper schematics.

Nice spike on 4th down.
You do realize that it was the coaching staff who signaled that play in, don't you?
Seen enough of the arm waver. Better options in Rettig and Allen.
You mean the transfer who couldn't beat him out under Flood and so far under Ash, and the other transfer who was such a great QB he was playing WR at the school he transferred from?

And I think that we beat Maryland.

Kupuna

The only problem I see is any O-minded coach taking full advantage of our beyond inexperienced LB situation (as any HC worth his salt will do this season) and them still being able to score on us but, as they say, "that's why you play the game."

That being said this SHOULD be 1 of our 3-4 wins in 2016.

Last edited:
On Paper the current coaching staff is a MASSIVE upgrade in every possible way. So we should get better results just on that alone.

Back to this game... at least it was a high scoring game and exciting.

DJ, just my opinion but I think Wilson fell on his sword there on that one to protect his player.

Joe P.
Even if the coaching staff signed in the spike the leader of the team and offense needs to be more situationally aware that it is 4th down and wave it off. Again this comes down to preparation.

You do realize that it was the coaching staff who signaled that play in, don't you?

You mean the transfer who couldn't beat him out under Flood and so far under Ash, and the other transfer who was such a great QB he was playing WR at the school he transferred from?
Well to be fair to our transfer it's been reported he was hurt all last year and never took any snaps at Wr. Plus being behind Boykin one of the best QB's in all of college football last year isn't exactly a knock on him. Hell 95% of the starting QB's in FBS last year would have been sitting the bench at TCU.

Reactions: RU205

It's sad when the coaching staff makes a huge mistake like the one against Michigan State. Just image the ones we don't see as clearly as the MSU one. I watched the Nebraska game and twice I saw NU receivers get 15 to 20 yards behind our secondary on scramble plays. As soon as Armstrong broke contain the secondary and LB units went to sh*t. They lost view of all downfield receivers because they kept peaking in the backfield. That is pure lack of coaching and coaches to don't hold players accountable. Both plays led to points. Instead of a 31-14 loss, maybe it's 21-14. That would change the complexion of the game and maybe the final outcome. Football is a game of inches.

When it comes to Rettig there is more to it than just his inability to beat out Laviano. 1) Flood never made it a fair competition. Laviano is Flood's boy (recruit). 2) Laviano was placed in situation that gave him the best chance to succeed. Rettig opportunities were limited and reduced. Rettig attempted 11 passes in his only real game action against Norfolk State and most of it was on 2 drives. Meanwhile, Laviano averaged 30 attempt per game. 3) Laviano is what you call a stud practice player because it's a controlled environment. Notice how most reports talked about Laviano looking good, looking in command of the offense at practice. What happened at game time? 4) Rettig (& even Laviano) really don't fit Ash needs, wants and desires for his version of the spread. In Rettig's case it's called being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In Zack Allen situation he ended up playing behind a stud QB (Trevone Boykin) who was only a year ahead of him. The other QB who was battling Allen for the backup position transferred out. Allen did what any smart player would do switch to another position in order to get on the field before you playing career is over. Allen did get hurt which limited playing time as receiver. Allen attempted to play through it, but without success. The best he could do was continue his other duties as the holder for P.A.T./FG. Even after this, TCU still listed Allen as QB. The move was more his decision with the HC blessing. Now, I trust Ash on Allen because he is the type of guy who going to do all of his homework before making a decision.

The only problem I see is any O-minded coach taking full advantage of our beyond inexperienced LB situation (as any HC worth his salt will do this season) and them still being able to score on us but, as they say, "that's why you play the game."

That being said this SHOULD be 1 of our 3-4 wins in 2016.

More than that. Trust me:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey Nuts. Haven't seen you posting recently.

Agreed. This was not a well coached team on and off the field. They won games in spite of poor preparation and schemes. I am not saying that this will be a quick fix and RU is immediately in the hunt but close games and some not so close can turn to wins with proper preparation. It's less to do with in game adjustments but what happens Sunday-Friday. The last couple of years I cannot recall stopping the opposing team on the first drive with any consistency or scoring on the first drive with any consistency.

A team cannot succeed when they are spotting the other team a 7 point lead. That falls directly on preparation and improper schematics.
Agree and disagree. At times our schemes looked great (Michiagan, NC and others games) and at times we looked clueless. I think with Carroo our Offense was pretty good to very good at times. Losing 6 Defensive players to stupidity and forcing us to play 3 True Freshman as our Top 3 Corners did not allow us to run as much on D as we would have liked. Hamilton out, Turay hurt, JPO out of position and Joseph also playing hurt took away from our schemes as well.

Forget last year however because that was worse off the field than on the field. In 2014 we showed we could play some very good Football when our talent level was better than or equal to our opponents. 8-5 with a tough loss to PSU means we were well coached in a lot of our games. On the flip side we looked absolutely lost against teams with more talent and I am stumped by that.

My opinion of the former staff was we did almost everything conservatively and by the book and then mixed in some risks with fake FG's and Punts, etc. I think that works when talent is equal or better. When we play teams that are more talented and deeper we need better schemes. I believe the new staff will bring that to the table.

Reactions: BornAHawk12
Losing 6 Defensive players to stupidity and forcing us to play 3 True Freshman as our Top 3 Corners did not allow us to run as much on D as we would have liked. Hamilton out, Turay hurt, JPO out of position and Joseph also playing hurt took away from our schemes as well.
Damn, I'd completely forgotten about that. We really were snakebit last year, weren't we?

Reactions: BornAHawk12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT