ADVERTISEMENT

We deserve this bowl

Danprusa_4

Senior
Aug 29, 2018
The negative posters who think we don’t deserve this bowl are stubborn.
1. The athletes obviously work their asses off in school which is many things most coaches stress to players but our APR says otherwise
2. It’s the gator bowl so this will give us great tv cred
3. Even if we lose we get our young players ton of experience for future bowls
4. GET EXCITED! Us fans wanted a bowl game so here it is! Accept and move on and support the team
5. A great family vacation during Christmas holidays
6. Gets our fans used to bowl games because now with schiano at the Healm I see tons of bowl games in the future
Your opinions are necessary

I'd be pleased to see RU get into this bowl, for the players and fans (not to mention GSII will get a nice bonus, win or lose). I think the players probably worked their butts off, as did the coaching staff. So it would be nice to see them get this unexpected reward.

But I do not agree we deserve it. It's be all that much sweeter when we get to a point, in a few seasons, when we DO deserve such a bowl.

1. The athletes obviously work their asses off in school which is many things most coaches stress to players but our APR says otherwise
4. GET EXCITED! Us fans wanted a bowl game so here it is! Accept and move on and support the team
6. Gets our fans used to bowl games because now with schiano at the Healm I see tons of bowl games in the future

Who is saying they don't "deserve" it? They're a better team than at least 50% of the bowl invitees. The concern is 3 weeks of no practice and a week to game plan going against a team that has practiced that whole time.

I am curious about the criticism based on whether or not we “deserve” a bowl bid. According to the rules for eligibility a team must have at least six wins. In the event there are not enough 6 win teams 5/7 teams will be invited starting with the team with the best APR rating. Thus, we qualify. What exactly does deserve mean. On what are you basing your judgement. The NCAA b-ball tourney has 68 teams. Not the best 68 based on on court performances but based on the rules for eligibility established by the NCAA. On a pure ability level the NEC, MAAC, AMERICA EAST, ETC don’t deserve a spot but the rules allow it, so those champions are in. No one is saying RU deserves a shot at the NC playoffs. This is a bowl game. Think of it as the first round of the b-ball tourney. We qualify based on 5/7 record and APR. thus, we deserve it.

Lots of people didn't even believe RU "deserved" to be in B1G
But it had things going for it besides Ls and Ws
If people got everything they deserved we would all be in trouble lol

Reactions: shields
Who is saying they don't "deserve" it? They're a better team than at least 50% of the bowl invitees. The concern is 3 weeks of no practice and a week to game plan going against a team that has practiced that whole time.
Thus times a million. I’m going to trust in Greg that he knows what he’s doing and has appropriately weighed the benefits and risks.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I think all the we don't deserve crybabies should give it up and enjoy the Christmas present

cute-baby-in-father-christmas-outfit-X2XMFN.jpg

agreed... if we can make it happen, then let's do it... Schiano Man would not entertain it unless he had a good idea if they could pull it together with the alumni help and other resources at University. Plus the extra few $million to the B1G Bowl money pool for all the schools, helps. And the exposure. I think players want to give it a go. Already know the potential bad.... but ... just what if... we win? Not ventured nothing gained.

Maybe I’m “old school” but I don’t think RU deserves or should be in this caliber of bowl. The Gator Bowl has been traditionally an upper tier type bowl game. i understand there are unusual circumstances here but don’t agree with a 5-7 team playing in this. Wake won 10 games this year and lost in the ACC title game and fully deserves to be in this game. If RU was say replacing a 6-6 team in a lower tier bowl, I could support that. As far as player development goes, they are going to get 1 week of additional practice not several weeks. Additionally, if this game gets lopsided which I think is a very real possibility, I don’t think it helps with recruiting, perception, etc. I anticipate more articles in the press of RU not belonging if the game goes sideways for RU.

Maybe I’m “old school” but I don’t think RU deserves or should be in this caliber of bowl. The Gator Bowl has been traditionally an upper tier type bowl game. i understand there are unusual circumstances here but don’t agree with a 5-7 team playing in this. Wake won 10 games this year and lost in the ACC title game and fully deserves to be in this game. If RU was say replacing a 6-6 team in a lower tier bowl, I could support that. As far as player development goes, they are going to get 1 week of additional practice not several weeks. Additionally, if this game gets lopsided which I think is a very real possibility, I don’t think it helps with recruiting, perception, etc. I anticipate more articles in the press of RU not belonging if the game goes sideways for RU.
Us old-school guys have trouble with the new meaning of "playing in a bowl."

Like somebody else said, lets see how some of those 6-7 win teams from other leagues would have fared in B1G East. You belong as much as they do.

Good luck Rutgers...

Greg's got the built in 'late replacement' excuse for the blowout, a nice bowl game bonus which by itself is more than most here make in a year, and he will say 'this gift is for the seniors who've never been to a bowl'.

From his side it's an easy PR sell. Nothing to lose. And it will be more competitive than the usual ND BCS/Playoff humiliation assuming we have a decent roster of available players.

Agree with 5&6.
1. Doesn't all teams works their asses off??
2. Only if it a close game. People will tune it out if it's a repeat of the Maryland game.
3. Tons of experience?
4. The circumstances of getting in and only a few days of practice isn't ideal. 15 days of practice is a ton of experience.

Reactions: Danprusa_4
It would make up for the bunch of shitty bowls we went to when we deserved much better.

I'm the first guy to say that the nonsense Bowls (pretty much every bowl that didn't exist before the year 2000) are a waste and not worth playing in. But this is a different, very unique set of circumstances. First, it's a effectively a New Years Day Bowl. And second, we were invited as an emergency fill-in because one of the teams that earned it chose to drop out at the last minute. And third, the selection criteria was our academic record (so at least the NCAA is pretending grades still matter).

We'd be dumb not to participate. This is the type of game where we pull off a win because the other team has a let down and is not well prepared.

Read the post directly before yours.

I'd be pleased to see RU get into this bowl, for the players and fans (not to mention GSII will get a nice bonus, win or lose). I think the players probably worked their butts off, as did the coaching staff. So it would be nice to see them get this unexpected reward.

But I do not agree we deserve it. It's be all that much sweeter when we get to a point, in a few seasons, when we DO deserve such a bowl.

Read the post directly before yours.
Yeah, but I'm weird. 🤪

I have an unusually high bar for accepting the whole "deserve it" thing. I think, these days in particular, too many people believe they deserve far too much stuff without really having done enough (or even anything) to earn it. way too much self-proclaimed entitlement going on these days.

We got lucky here. Otherwise, it would've been us, and not Texas A&M, who'd been given the initial invite. They deserved it.

I'm not unmindful of the fact that enough of our players and staff did enough of what it takes to have the highest APR of a 5-7 team, meaning we earned our position which good luck hit. But that's not quite the same as saying "we deserve it".

If we win, or even make it a competitive close game, then it will mean, IMO, that we belonged in the game. But that too is different from "we deserve to be there". Again, if we deserved to be there, we would've been there without the good luck of TA&M bowing out.

I definitely agree with many of your arguments here but still think in the end it’s deserved for our student athletes and fans after years of losing and waiting for a bowl.

This is basically the opposite of the RU screw. Makes up for basketball being screwed out of the NCAA in 2020 when it was cancelled.
Exactly. People aren’t understanding in the meaning of “deserving” which means us as fans of years of misery and our senior student athletes that deserve this bowl after freshman years of misery with Ash era and so forth

Agree with 5&6.
1. Doesn't all teams works their asses off??
2. Only if it a close game. People will tune it out if it's a repeat of the Maryland game.
3. Tons of experience?
4. The circumstances of getting in and only a few days of practice isn't ideal. 15 days of practice is a ton of experience.
Can’t disagree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT