ADVERTISEMENT

We deserve this bowl

Very entertaining.

Bowl games should be limited to teams with at least 7 wins. Not 6. Definitely not 5. The rules have it wrong. This just proves how the "bowl" system has devolved to include teams with losing records. Most of these games are exhibition games, nothing more. That will be the Gator Bowl this year. How it has fallen.

So realistically, how many points will WF lay on you? And what will be the point differential? I say WF lays at least 63 on Rutgers and the differential will be 56. If you get closer than 40, I'll be surprised.

Reactions: Danprusa_4
Yeah, but I'm weird. 🤪

I have an unusually high bar for accepting the whole "deserve it" thing. I think, these days in particular, too many people believe they deserve far too much stuff without really having done enough (or even anything) to earn it. way too much self-proclaimed entitlement going on these days.

We got lucky here. Otherwise, it would've been us, and not Texas A&M, who'd been given the initial invite. They deserved it.

I'm not unmindful of the fact that enough of our players and staff did enough of what it takes to have the highest APR of a 5-7 team, meaning we earned our position which good luck hit. But that's not quite the same as saying "we deserve it".

If we win, or even make it a competitive close game, then it will mean, IMO, that we belonged in the game. But that too is different from "we deserve to be there". Again, if we deserved to be there, we would've been there without the good luck of TA&M bowing out.
Okay I can agree with this the teams W-L obviously says they don’t deserve this bowl. But with the many years of losing and Ash Era disappointment, what us fans and the senior athletes on this team endured, we do deserve this in that aspect. In which I was trying to get at with the “deserving” part.

Very entertaining.

Bowl games should be limited to teams with at least 7 wins. Not 6. Definitely not 5. The rules have it wrong. This just proves how the "bowl" system has devolved to include teams with losing records. Most of these games are exhibition games, nothing more. That will be the Gator Bowl this year. How it has fallen.

So realistically, how many points will WF lay on you? And what will be the point differential? I say WF lays at least 63 on Rutgers and the differential will be 56. If you get closer than 40, I'll be surprised.
We will see. Haha which makes this even more surprising for us as fans an the team. Bet me a million dollars we wouldn’t of made it to a bowl last week and I would’ve accepted. Us fans are just as stunned only having 5 wins. But Gl with ur Pitt team you will need it in the future buddy.

Very entertaining.

please crawl back in your hole and let us enjoy the moment. We deserve it!

please crawl back in your hole and let us enjoy the moment. We deserve it!
Don’t worry he won’t ever be on here again considering we’ll probably be in a bowl game for as long as schiano stays at the healm.

Very entertaining.

You offering RU +56? Where, and can I see proof you could pay off?

Reactions: redking and Kbee3
Hate to be the Debbie Downer but has our team been COVID tested? Omicron is demolishing NJ right now.
How long has it been since the team has been together?.... is it possible that if one player tests positive and he has not been with the others and can be eliminated from coming and the game, and the rest of the team goes on.... it actually might be a better situation than if 85 players have been together and one or two test positive, the chances of many infected

Maybe I’m “old school” but I don’t think RU deserves or should be in this caliber of bowl. The Gator Bowl has been traditionally an upper tier type bowl game. i understand there are unusual circumstances here but don’t agree with a 5-7 team playing in this. Wake won 10 games this year and lost in the ACC title game and fully deserves to be in this game. If RU was say replacing a 6-6 team in a lower tier bowl, I could support that. As far as player development goes, they are going to get 1 week of additional practice not several weeks. Additionally, if this game gets lopsided which I think is a very real possibility, I don’t think it helps with recruiting, perception, etc. I anticipate more articles in the press of RU not belonging if the game goes sideways for RU.
Ok, so who goes instead of us?

Very entertaining.

Go fk yourself and go back to your miserable Pitt life

Reactions: shields
Very entertaining.

You act like we play in the ACC. We went back to back to back with Mich/OSU/MSU and while we lost, the average in those games was 34-13
I dont expect to win or for it to be a nail biter but do you think WF is that much better then those teams? If you do, you are stupid.

Reactions: shields
Wake has 10 wins, but none of them signature.. The 2 losses are blowouts to top 20 (not top 10) teams. They do have a win over #18 NC State, but also had to go to OT to beat Syracuse, and only outscored Army 70-56...SO in a normal game, I would give us a good chance of win straight -up...under these circumstances, it will be tough, but Coach will have them motivated. The catch up in conditioning and dusting off playbook rust will be the big test.
If Army can score 56 against them, don't expect the usual 3 & out to eventually wear out an overachieving RU Defense. Vedral/Wimsett may very well combine for over 100 yards rushing themselves..Biggest problem will be our DBs giving up big plays, but also expect a lot of sacks.

Last edited:
Nobody (including OSU, Michigan, etc.) scored over 60 against us. The only team to legitimately score 50 on us was OSU (we turned the ball over to hand Wisconsin many of the points that got them to 50). I don’t think anyone else scored 40 on us? So an automatic 63 for WF seems over the top unless none of our starters decide to play.

Agree with 5&6.
1. Doesn't all teams works their asses off??
2. Only if it a close game. People will tune it out if it's a repeat of the Maryland game.
3. Tons of experience?
4. The circumstances of getting in and only a few days of practice isn't ideal. 15 days of practice is a ton of experience.
1. Yes on the field but not always in school. Which is what I meant by working their asses off

The nuanced but clear truth is that we do not deserve this level of bowl. Absolutely not. Can’t be argued.

At 5-7 with a high APR we deserve a pre-Christmas bowl for which no 6-6 teams were left. But we do deserve to be in the field of 84 slots (or whatever the # is).

We got the ‘perfect storm’ scenario. An undeserved XMas gift.

Reactions: mikebal9
Ok Colbert…how about undeserved New Year’s Eve gift ? That work ?

Was there a Peanuts New Years Eve tv show ?

At 5-7 with a high APR we deserve a pre-Christmas bowl for which no 6-6 teams were left. But we do deserve to be in the field of 84 slots (or whatever the # is).

Not our fault that the timing was as it is. If Hawaii had dropped out two weeks ago would you have been alright with us filling their slot? Or if Toledo dropped out would the Bahamas have been OK? Or the Famous Idaho Potato?
The fact that it's the Gator Bowl magnifies the situation.
So what bothers you? The fact that we're in a bowl or the level of the bowl? Or both?
All we did is follow the rules.

Reactions: redking
Ok Colbert…how about undeserved New Year’s Eve gift ? That work ?

Was there a Peanuts New Years Eve tv show ?
No but there should have been!

If your main point is that there are too many bowls, I agree. But aslong as there are 2,874,000 ways to watch games that's not changing.

Last edited:
Colbert....no, it doesnt actually bother me at all. i was just pointing out that we didnt deserve this particular bowl but got very lucky. life isnt fair. no issues here.

Colbert....no, it doesnt actually bother me at all. i was just pointing out that we didnt deserve this particular bowl but got very lucky. life isnt fair. no issues here.
I guess I'm missing something here. Obviously we didn't earn this bowl or any bowl in the traditional sense. On the field we didn't even come close to matching the level of play usually associated with this bowl. But then your issue should be with the NCAA, not the football program, RU or Schiano. After being offered this opportunity do you think we should have turned it down?
You say that you have no issues here but at every chance you continously belittle and mock the fact that we're in.
So after all the things that this group of kids have gone through: the Ash years, Covid protocols and everything else for the past few years the coaches should have stood in front of the kids and said. "You know guys we've been through a lot together. We've just been offered a bid to play in the Gator Bowl, against a nationally ranked opponent, in Florida, on NYE, on what's going to be the most watched day of college football this year but you know we only won five games so we turned it down."
Is that what you're saying? I might be thick but I'm just trying to understand all the negativity.

Last edited:
The negative posters who think we don’t deserve this bowl are stubborn.
1. The athletes obviously work their asses off in school which is many things most coaches stress to players but our APR says otherwise
2. It’s the gator bowl so this will give us great tv cred
3. Even if we lose we get our young players ton of experience for future bowls
4. GET EXCITED! Us fans wanted a bowl game so here it is! Accept and move on and support the team
5. A great family vacation during Christmas holidays
6. Gets our fans used to bowl games because now with schiano at the Healm I see tons of bowl games in the future
Your opinions are necessary
I am an alum and like Eddie Jordan once said 'I love my school', but we did not
earn this bid. It's ok to admit that

Michigan would beat Wake by 3 touchdowns. I wish we had more time to prepare. Score 63?

Colbert…you’re misinterpreting. Yes I disparage several aspects of the team (philosophy, QB and other skill position talent, coaching ability) but in terms of accepting and playing in a bowl we didn’t merit by any stretch of the imagination, I have no problem with it. We didn’t invite ourselves. Anything unfair about it is Not our fault or problem.

If it were up to me, I’d have accepted the late invite too assuming it is logistics/practice/Covid feasible which it seems to be.

I don’t see this as a contradiction. The team is a P5 bottom dweller but an impossibly unlikely opportunity presented itself and we should definitely play the gift game.

And I’ll enjoy watching another game, or at least the beginning while the score will be close 😀

The nuanced but clear truth is that we do not deserve this level of bowl. Absolutely not. Can’t be argued.

We got the ‘perfect storm’ scenario. An undeserved XMas gift.

Couldn't you just left it as a "Xmas gift"?
There's no such thing as an "undeserved Xmas gift". Everyone deserves a Xmas gift. That's what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown.
My take- once A&M pulled out, a 5-7 team was getting this bowl. So, we did, in fact, deserve it over every other 5-7 team in the equation…

Reactions: Danprusa_4
Regardless of whether you think Rutgers deserves this Bowl Game or not, think of it as making up for the NCAA hoops bid that was taken away in 2020..

Karma! We went 10-2 in 2006 and ended the year ranked 12th. We got stuck in the Texas Bowl and beat the crap out of K-State when we should have got better.

Reactions: fg7321 and Kbee3
Yes, we should have been playing Wake Forest, in the Orange Bowl that year.
(Got some bad breaks in that WVU game)
So now 15 years later we get to face Wake Forest in another major Florida Bowl

Reactions: Virginiarufan
For folks saying we don't deserve The Gator Bowl, let's remember that in 2006 the very same Gator Bowl declined to offer Rutgers a bowl bid. They gave it to Notre Dame.

Funny how things work out.

For folks saying we don't deserve The Gator Bowl, let's remember that in 2006 the very same Gator Bowl declined to offer Rutgers a bowl bid. They gave it to Notre Dame.

Funny how things work out.
Now they’re desperate for us. It’s so easy for us to screw them out of a game and blame Coronavirus. Then nobody will play Wake Forest and the Gator Bowl will lose out on the revenue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT