ADVERTISEMENT

We still have a good chance to avoid being #14 in the BIG.

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
We have a very good chance still to avoid the basement in the BIG. The Northwestern and Illinois games are both home and are very important. Wisconsin is 4-10, Minnersota is 3-11, Iowa is 3-11 and Illinois is 2-11. Two wins would get us to four. That would be progress considering the 2 major injuries that we had.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
In theory, we could still avoid playing on the first day of the B1G as crazy as that sounds. If we beat Northwestern and Illinois, then we would just need Wisconsin to lose their 4 (#3 Purdue, #4 MSU, NW, Minnesota) and Minnesota to lose their 3 besides Wisconsin (#3 Purdue, #4 MSU, Iowa). If this happens, then RU, Wisconsin, Minn and Iowa would be tied with 4 wins, and the tie breaker goes to a random draw between RU and Iowa (assuming the top of the conference doesn't have any major shake-up). Of course, us beating UMD or OSU on the road solves everything in this scenario ;) .. also us losing to NW, or Wisconsin/Minn/Iowa upsetting anyone, kills it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Illinois plays Indiana, Nebraska, Michigan State, Purdue, and Rutgers.

They should lose their next 4.

Then the last game of the year will determine who avoids the basement.

Iowa plays Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern.
They could lose all 4 (Minn game is a toss up).

We HAVE to beat Illinois, then we finish ahead of them.
If we beat Northwestern, we could finish 12th.

Not impossible by any stretch.

Would be awesome to even finish 13th to get that monkey off of our back.

We have a very good chance still to avoid the basement in the BIG. The Northwestern and Illinois games are both home and are very important. Wisconsin is 4-10, Minnersota is 3-11, Iowa is 3-11 and Illinois is 2-11. Two wins would get us to four. That would be progress considering the 2 major injuries that we had.
If "very good chance" is contingent on winning two more games, than I would say it's not a very good chance at all. More like a theoretical chance.

Reactions: Local Shill
If "very good chance" is contingent on winning two more games, than I would say it's not a very good chance at all. More like a theoretical chance.

It only means beating Illinois.

2 wins is not required to finish out of basement.

(Assuming favorites win all other games vs Illinois)

I like the spirit, but who the hell knows how we finish up? Don't you think every one of these teams is counting us as win? If we could somehow play the way we have against some of the top teams when we play the other bottom feeders, I would feel a lot better. Amazing how we just seem to go through the motions with teams we should be really playing hard against.

Illinois plays Indiana, Nebraska, Michigan State, Purdue, and Rutgers.

They should lose their next 4.

Then the last game of the year will determine who avoids the basement.

Iowa plays Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern.
They could lose all 4 (Minn game is a toss up).

We HAVE to beat Illinois, then we finish ahead of them.
If we beat Northwestern, we could finish 12th.

Not impossible by any stretch.

Would be awesome to even finish 13th to get that monkey off of our back.

Plus the 12/13 game is the first game of the night at MSG. I want to take my 9 year old but a 8:30pm start on a school night is a bit tougher (will probably still do it anyway haha).

Reactions: RUonBrain
Well the win over Northwestern gives us a big chance to avoid the cellar. I think if we can beat Illinois we will definitely be out of last. That would be some progress.

Reactions: RUonBrain
That really is insane.
Actually, now that I look back, we play the top 4 teams twice, considering Nebraska is the 4th best team in the Big Ten this year. We also played those teams pretty close at least one of the times we played them except for Ohio State, who we are yet to play the second time. It's a really rough draw for us this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT