ADVERTISEMENT

We will be BETTER for yesterday

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Disappointing, VERY disappointing. Last week, I liked the effort, didn't like the result. This week, I had to question both. Didn't like the intensity we showed in this game from the get go. Our heads were in the clouds and we got smacked, not unlike the Kent State game in 2012. Our opponent was one we should have run off the field, as we showed in the 3rd quarter, that we had the capacity to do. Instead, Eastern Michigan out-executed and out coached us, and earned a well deserved victory. We let them hang around, committed mistakes and mental errors, and ultimately ran out of time.

Our quarterback was outplayed, which was the biggest difference. His accuracy was off today and he had two interceptions, the second of which was especially terrible because the corner jumped the route. That said, he did do some good things. He had roughly a 30 yard completion to Damon Mitchell and a forty yard completion to Janarion Grant which I thought were beautiful throws.
He showed poise, in leading our offense from the 12 yard line to the Eastern Michigan 25 yard line in the last few minutes of the game, before a penalty set us back to the Eastern Michigan 40.
To me, he's Gary Nova with a worse arm. Capable of making plays but also capable of driving you crazy with his decision making and his sometimes erratic play. That said, I believe he gives us the best chance of winning.

Offensive line did not perform as well as last week, where I felt we did a good job of dominating the LOS at times. The last play of the game was poorly blocked, where we let a three man rush sack the quarterback. We did a great job blocking on Gus Edwards 23 yard run.

WR's really killed Bolins completion %, with their drops on catchable balls. Grant had at least a few and Jawuan Harris had one. Grant did end up as our #1 receiver with 91 receiving yards. Our best receiving option is #88 Jerome Washington, who has demonstrated great hands, and was open a lot, and missed too many times. I think he needs to be the #1 receiving option. They also need to find a way to get #14 Everett Wormley and #25 Raheem BlackShear in the game, as we need their speed and playmaking ability in the game.

Thought the RB's were solid, as both ran hard, and averaged close to 5 yards/carry. I feel like we're running the ball much better this year, thx to fullback Max Anthony. Gus Edwards had the carry of the game:

Thought the defense was solid, though I wish our pass rush was more effective. #96 Willington Previlon stepped in and did a great job, with 2 tackles, a tackle for loss, and a sack. #50 Julius Turner shared a surprising number of repititions with #51 Sebastian Joseph, who also played terrific and forced a fumble. LBers did a much better job of tackling this week and secondary was decent. They clearly picked on #11 Isiah Wharton and #22 Damon Hayes. Our corners gave up a lot of receiving yards, but they also had a number of pass breakups. Hayes is credited with 3 officially, which were terrific plays.

We held a MAC opponent to 16 points, but did not execute well enough offensively, to win. In 2013, they scored 10 points, but we had 192 rushing yards behind Paul James and scored 28 points. 13 points against a MAC opponent is unacceptable. We've got a gimme against Morgan State, but should use this opportunity to determine the optimal personnel mix to jumpstart this offense, which seems stuck in neutral. I'd like to see our freshman WRs and Blackshear get more of a shot. Lets just get this 'W', which we need in the worst way.

unusually balanced opinion for you Al, not sure what to make of it? However, your effort (details in your post) as always, is there.

Reactions: rutgersal
Good analysis but my problem is stated clearly in your second line. "Didn't like the intensity we showed in this game from the get go. Our heads were in the clouds...". This is a recurrent theme. And it is not talent related. Until it changes we are in trouble.

Reactions: rutgersal
Disappointing, VERY disappointing. Last week, I liked the effort, didn't like the result. This week, I had to question both. Didn't like the intensity we showed in this game from the get go. Our heads were in the clouds and we got smacked, not unlike the Kent State game in 2012. Our opponent was one we should have run off the field, as we showed in the 3rd quarter, that we had the capacity to do. Instead, Eastern Michigan out-executed and out coached us, and earned a well deserved victory. We let them hang around, committed mistakes and mental errors, and ultimately ran out of time.

Our quarterback was outplayed, which was the biggest difference. His accuracy was off today and he had two interceptions, the second of which was especially terrible because the corner jumped the route. That said, he did do some good things. He had roughly a 30 yard completion to Damon Mitchell and a forty yard completion to Janarion Grant which I thought were beautiful throws.
He showed poise, in leading our offense from the 12 yard line to the Eastern Michigan 25 yard line in the last few minutes of the game, before a penalty set us back to the Eastern Michigan 40.
To me, he's Gary Nova with a worse arm. Capable of making plays but also capable of driving you crazy with his decision making and his sometimes erratic play. That said, I believe he gives us the best chance of winning.

Offensive line did not perform as well as last week, where I felt we did a good job of dominating the LOS at times. The last play of the game was poorly blocked, where we let a three man rush sack the quarterback. We did a great job blocking on Gus Edwards 23 yard run.

WR's really killed Bolins completion %, with their drops on catchable balls. Grant had at least a few and Jawuan Harris had one. Grant did end up as our #1 receiver with 91 receiving yards. Our best receiving option is #88 Jerome Washington, who has demonstrated great hands, and was open a lot, and missed too many times. I think he needs to be the #1 receiving option. They also need to find a way to get #14 Everett Wormley and #25 Raheem BlackShear in the game, as we need their speed and playmaking ability in the game.

Thought the RB's were solid, as both ran hard, and averaged close to 5 yards/carry. I feel like we're running the ball much better this year, thx to fullback Max Anthony. Gus Edwards had the carry of the game:

Thought the defense was solid, though I wish our pass rush was more effective. #96 Willington Previlon stepped in and did a great job, with 2 tackles, a tackle for loss, and a sack. #50 Julius Turner shared a surprising number of repititions with #51 Sebastian Joseph, who also played terrific and forced a fumble. LBers did a much better job of tackling this week and secondary was decent. They clearly picked on #11 Isiah Wharton and #22 Damon Hayes. Our corners gave up a lot of receiving yards, but they also had a number of pass breakups. Hayes is credited with 3 officially, which were terrific plays.

We held a MAC opponent to 16 points, but did not execute well enough offensively, to win. In 2013, they scored 10 points, but we had 192 rushing yards behind Paul James and scored 28 points. 13 points against a MAC opponent is unacceptable. We've got a gimme against Morgan State, but should use this opportunity to determine the optimal personnel mix to jumpstart this offense, which seems stuck in neutral. I'd like to see our freshman WRs and Blackshear get more of a shot. Lets just get this 'W', which we need in the worst way.
That's BS. If we got better due to embarrassing loses, we would be the greatest college football program in the nation right now.

That's BS. If we got better due to embarrassing loses, we would be the greatest college football program in the nation right now.

In 2008, we had a lot of losses early, then rebounded to go bowling. I see. The same potential here.

lol, we let them hang in there! are you nuts! They would have kicked our asses if not for their own mistakes. We could not rush the QB or protect. Our QB was not accurate and has a very weak arm, shown by the number of throws floating in the air. Our defense got run over on multiple occasions and if it was not for their mistakes we would have been exposed as the weak team we came out playing. We were in the game due to their mistakes not due to our play.

Reactions: winRU
In 2008, we had a lot of losses early, then rebounded to go bowling. I see. The same potential here.
You initial post was somewhat intelligent and balanced, but you just couldn't stay the line, you had to go off the deep end. Ugh, oh well, maybe next time.

Reactions: goru1869
If we were playing anyone other than Eastern Michigan (or Morgan State), that analysis would be solid and make me think a little bit here or there would get us over the top.

But Eastern Michigan? Which had never beaten a Big Ten team? Ever? I can't even think about analyzing it. Losing to them is the kind of thing that makes you want to have every player, coach, administrator, trainer, academic adviser, etc. wear a huge scarlet "L" on their chests for the week. Nothing about this loss will make us better. We're not good enough for a wake-up call to do any good, and a team this bad should not need one in the first place.

That does not mean we won't play better here and there and be in position to win a game or two, but it has zero to do with any "lessons" from this debacle.

lol, we let them hang in there! are you nuts! They would have kicked our asses if not for their own mistakes. We could not rush the QB or protect. Our QB was not accurate and has a very weak arm, shown by the number of throws floating in the air. Our defense got run over on multiple occasions and if it was not for their mistakes we would have been exposed as the weak team we came out playing. We were in the game due to their mistakes not due to our play.

We had mistakes of our own, which allowed them to stay in the game. We were not the team that came out playing Washington close for 3 quarters. That team would have smoked eastern Michigan, which is why I chalk this loss up to being a hangover loss.

Two mistakes in particular, the near pick 6 at the end of the game, and an illegal hands to the face penalty, cost us any shot of winning the game. But it never should have come down to that, as we should have been able to put them away before that, but we didn't. Additionally, we had two turnovers, and they had zero. We did a reasonable job of protection, that they started blitzing, which I thought Bolin handled reasonably well. Our QBs arm is good enough, as his accuracy and decision making was more of an issue than his arm. he drove Rutgers from our own 12 yard line to the Eastern Michigan 25, with 1 mi ute and 34 seconds left, giving us a shot of at least tying the game. This is a good team that played bad Saturday.

If we were playing anyone other than Eastern Michigan (or Morgan State), that analysis would be solid and make me think a little bit here or there would get us over the top.

But Eastern Michigan? Which had never beaten a Big Ten team? Ever? I can't even think about analyzing it. Losing to them is the kind of thing that makes you want to have every player, coach, administrator, trainer, academic adviser, etc. wear a huge scarlet "L" on their chests for the week. Nothing about this loss will make us better. We're not good enough for a wake-up call to do any good, and a team this bad should not need one in the first place.

That does not mean we won't play better here and there and be in position to win a game or two, but it has zero to do with any "lessons" from this debacle.

Eastern Michigan isn't Eastern Michigan of old. Their quarterback, who could be drafted. Is the biggest difference. Hats off to them.

Reactions: RUfubar
I'm still not buying it. We played Washington well early because they had no idea what was in store for them. We had a new OC, a transfer at QB, a transfer at RB...they had absolutely no tape to study. Once they saw what we were doing for a half, we stopped scoring and looked stuck in mud. EMU saw what we did against Washington, and had us looking silly. I'm sure we'll do better against Morgan State, which will bring about some false dawn, but Nebraska followed by OSU will bring it all back into focus.

The best case scenario: Eastern might make a bowl, going 8-4 in the MAC. The game was basically a toss up. So Rutgers is about as good as one of the better MAC teams.

I know many expect the Knights to crush better MAC teams, but that isn't going to happen this year. And certainly not with so many self inflicted wounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT