ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for MD @ RU - Very Likely Chilly (highs in the low 40s) and Dry

These weather threads started by Numbers are useless and a waste of time until Bac gives his forecast. Any experienced message boarder here knows not to get sucked into Numbers pretty graphs and colorful pictures that he posts to fool you into thinking he has weather credibility.

Moral of the story, wait for Bac.

lmfao....sorry but mid 40s at best and the game is at 330 pm not noon is cold for 99% of people.....wear your sleeveless and shorts...by end of the first quarter it will be 40 at best and 30s for most of the game...that is called cold

But we already knew you are that special 1%
fb9f7110-9f51-43e5-ab13-0715515246d8_text.gif

Man up already. Cripes.

lol...you do realize its November and its been fairly mild this fall and we are talking about people being outside for 7 hours....but you be your selfish self
Another logic fail for you. How is providing temperature forecast information "selfish?" Also, what difference does it make what one calls "cold" as long as one provides the expected temperature so people can make their own decisions on how to prepare? And for the record, the NWS generally considers "cold" to be any temperature below 32F.

https://themocracy.com/what-is-considered-cold-weather/

These weather threads started by Numbers are useless and a waste of time until Bac gives his forecast. Any experienced message boarder here knows not to get sucked into Numbers pretty graphs and colorful pictures that he posts to fool you into thinking he has weather credibility.

Moral of the story, wait for Bac.
Ummmmmm..........no

Reactions: Kbee3 and RC1978
All of today’s global models showed the potential storm staying to our south on Saturday. Not ready to declare victory for a cool/dry day, but it’s at least a good step. The NWS acknowledged this in their discussion, below, but given the model fluctuations they've seen so far, they're still hedging a bit and holding onto a slight (20%) chance of some showers on Saturday vs. the 40-50% chance they were carrying last night/this morning. I'd say if the next 2-3 model cycles maintain a dry forecast, then we can start having more confidence in a dry forecast (i.e., by tomorrow afternoon/evening).

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
345 PM EST Mon Nov 20 2023

For Friday and Saturday...Our sensible weather will depend on the
timing and strength of southern stream shortwave as it lifts
northeastward from the Lower Mississippi Valley to Tennessee Valley
during Friday. The model guidance has gone back and forth with this
and also the southern extent of the Canadian upper-level trough.
While some uncertainty still remains, the overall trend in the
guidance is for a much weaker system coming out of southern Texas.
This would result in just a cold front crossing our area mainly
Friday night. Given the trends but with still some uncertainty, did
lower the PoPs but kept a slight chance (20 percent) in the gridded
forecast database Friday night into Saturday. The main upper-level
trough may glance our area to start Saturday, however that should
push the cold front well east and south of our region. If this ends
up occurring, then a dry Saturday looks to occur. High temperatures
are trending cooler given the passage of the cold front, especially
for Saturday.
Back to the weather. All of tonight's 0Z global model runs showed a weak low well to our south with precip barely reaching southern DE, leaving us with cool (low 40s for highs), dry weather. A very good sign to have two model cycles in a row showing this.

Reactions: redlinehw
Another logic fail for you. How is providing temperature forecast information "selfish?" Also, what difference does it make what one calls "cold" as long as one provides the expected temperature so people can make their own decisions on how to prepare? And for the record, the NWS generally considers "cold" to be any temperature below 32F.

Selfish just because you dont think 30s and 40s are cold doesn't mean everyone else wont. The thread is supposed to guide all folks on the conditions

Its definitely a dress warmly game and bring blankets because i find in general people under prepare for the conditions

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
You're like a petulant 8-year old stamping your feet, i.e., trying to derail a thread, because people are laughing at your oversensitivity to "cold" temperatures. Just grow up.

Grow up???? Rather odd given you are a participant throwing insults about cold. This is your usually MO here. I made a comment saying saying it would be cold and you immediately attacked it....so who is the troll who derailed

Anyhoo i see the high temperature is forecasted at only 42 degrees in Saturday. Most of the game would be in the 30s

Yeah run with them. I bet when its 45 for a high in September its just cool not cold. Or a morning low of 36 in June thats just cool. Terms are relative to timr periods.

Saturday will be our coldest days since March
Is it South Florida game cold..no but cold in general to be outside 6-8 hours yes

Reactions: Sweet Peas Corner

So great..from your own article..lmfao

You may be surprised to learn that there is no set definition for what constitutes cold weather. The National Weather Service defines it as “temperatures of 40°F or below

My weather app for Piscataway shows 37 at the start and 33 around the end. Not horrible for me but know the wife will be cold into Sunday. Always best to bring a blanket to sit on and bundle up.

Worst game we ever attended was the 1993 Syracuse game the day after Thanksgiving at Giants Stadium. It was sunny but like 20 degrees. It snowed prior to Thanksgiving and the cement floor was icy in spots. Just sitting there was miserable and we left just prior to halftime. Only time I have ever done that.

Back to the weather. All of tonight's 0Z global model runs showed a weak low well to our south with precip barely reaching southern DE, leaving us with cool (low 40s for highs), dry weather. A very good sign to have two model cycles in a row showing this.
Good news. You can always layer up, but if the layers get wet, all bets are off.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wind is the wildcard for me. If it's dry and calm, high 30s is no problem. If it's blustery, high 30s is no fun.

As of now, the forecast is indicating wind of 5 MPH which is close to calm. I think we're in good shape.

Reactions: RU848789
Given multiple successive model runs showing the low on Saturday staying well to our south (the latest 6Z GFS even has precip not making it further north than NC), it's just about a lock for chilly and dry conditions with partly sunny skies and light winds. The NWS is now carrying <5% chance of any showers and has taken all mention of rain out of the forecast and discussion, so normally, 4 days out I'd say it's a lock for dry conditions, but I've seen too many setups like this where modeling overdoes the suppression of precip at this range, so I think it's worth waiting until tonight to be that confident. I did change the thread title though, as we now have some idea.

To be clear, by "chilly" I mean highs in the low 40s and temps dropping into the mid/upper 30s by the end of the game - with 5-10 mph winds that will have wind chills in the upper 30s during tailgating and down around 30F by the end of the game. Some might call that "cool" and others "cold," but the key thing is to provide the actual forecast temps and let the reader decide. The most important thing is a dry forecast, as it's easy to stay warm when it's chilly and dry, but way harder when it's wet.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Going to be quite a soaker starting late this afternoon, though, with widespread 1.5-2.5" rainfall amounts through sunrise tomorrow and gusty winds (up to 30-35 mph gusts), but probably not enough rain for more than localized urban flooding (especially due to clogged drains from leaves). Thanksgiving looks gorgeous with highs in the low 50s and breezy conditions.

Selfish just because you dont think 30s and 40s are cold doesn't mean everyone else wont. The thread is supposed to guide all folks on the conditions

Its definitely a dress warmly game and bring blankets because i find in general people under prepare for the conditions

Every post I've made provided the expected conditions/temps, so I have no idea why you get so wound up with whether I also call it cold or chilly or toasty or whatever. As you can see from the thread, many think you're way oversensitive to the cold, while you and some others think I'm undersensitive to it. Big deal - as long as people know the temps, winds, and precip likelihood, they have all the info they need to prepare.

Grow up???? Rather odd given you are a participant throwing insults about cold. This is your usually MO here. I made a comment saying saying it would be cold and you immediately attacked it....so who is the troll who derailed

Anyhoo i see the high temperature is forecasted at only 42 degrees in Saturday. Most of the game would be in the 30s
Also, you started the insults about the words I used (which is silly given I gave the forecast temps and wind chills), so I simply responded with a mild (and funny) insult and then you made a politically charged post aimed at derailing the thread completely and getting it locked or deleted, because you can't help but act like a child. Thankfully, people haven't taken the bait. Yet.

Every post I've made provided the expected conditions/temps, so I have no idea why you get so wound up with whether I also call it cold or chilly or toasty or whatever. As you can see from the thread, many think you're way oversensitive to the cold, while you and some others think I'm undersensitive to it. Big deal - as long as people know the temps, winds, and precip likelihood, they have all the info they need to prepare.

Also, you started the insults about the words I used (which is silly given I gave the forecast temps and wind chills), so I simply responded with a mild (and funny) insult and then you made a politically charged post aimed at derailing the thread completely and getting it locked or deleted, because you can't help but act like a child. Thankfully, people haven't taken the bait. Yet.

I posted it would be cold and you started calling people woman and girls

(...) I think this one is probably a decent assessment of what people think is "cold." I would also be in the under 20F camp, but can understand the 21-40F camp - but not the mid-40s.

WI-cold_0203

Wouldn’t “the temperature people think of when they hear cold” depend on the season, location, and recent weather?

If the NYC high was 60 degrees in July, I think more than a few would say it’s “freezing out” and have the opposite reaction for 55 degrees in late Jan.

I’m surprised that you consider the poll a decent assessment. Given your data rigor, someone might get the wrong impression of cherry-picking research to line up with your opinion.

Just for the record, that twitter poll was posted in mid-January by someone in Wisconsin and voted on by 58 of her followers.

If they still sell hot chocolate at the stadium, fans can stay warm if they are layered up (and liquored up)
Just layer-up and you'll be fine. My Lord this isn't even THAT cold. Pretty simple:

- thermal socks
- longjohns w/jeans
- undershirt, red UA longsleeve, RU Football T, pullover sweatshirt
- gloves
- scarf
- Block R ski cap

.....BOOM!

My weather app for Piscataway shows 37 at the start and 33 around the end. Not horrible for me but know the wife will be cold into Sunday. Always best to bring a blanket to sit on and bundle up.

Worst game we ever attended was the 1993 Syracuse game the day after Thanksgiving at Giants Stadium. It was sunny but like 20 degrees. It snowed prior to Thanksgiving and the cement floor was icy in spots. Just sitting there was miserable and we left just prior to halftime. Only time I have ever done that.

I'm remembering a Thanksgiving game in 2004, UConn @ Rutgers. It was dry, but effing COLD and windy.

We deep fried a turkey at our tailgate. It was delicious.

Just layer-up and you'll be fine. My Lord this isn't even THAT cold. Pretty simple:

- thermal socks
- longjohns w/jeans
- undershirt, red UA longsleeve, RU Football T, pullover sweatshirt
- gloves
- scarf
- Block R ski cap

.....BOOM!

Sounds like cold weather gear

You mean a t shirt and windbreaker isnt enough...🤔

Sounds like cold weather gear

You mean a t shirt and windbreaker isnt enough...🤔
YES...it's gonna be cold....nobody said otherwise lol (And I was 100% FINE wearing shorts, a t-shirt and my black Block R zip-up athletics jacket to the game that day. Not even an issue for a second)!! Some of us actually have "body fat" my friend lolol!

Wouldn’t “the temperature people think of when they hear cold” depend on the season, location, and recent weather?

If the NYC high was 60 degrees in July, I think more than a few would say it’s “freezing out” and have the opposite reaction for 55 degrees in late Jan.

I’m surprised that you consider the poll a decent assessment. Given your data rigor, someone might get the wrong impression of cherry-picking research to line up with your opinion.

Just for the record, that twitter poll was posted in mid-January by someone in Wisconsin and voted on by 58 of her followers.
I don't consider the poll to be a decent assessment. Was arguing for sport because bac was being childish about it. Cold is obviously in the "eye" of the beholder and can depend on a plethora of factors including humidity, wind, sunshine, recent weather, what one is used to, personal comfort, etc.

My dad lives in Florida and thinks it's cold when the temp falls below 80F and will be wearing a sweater and a windbreaker when it's 72F outside, while we're in shorts and t-shirts. My son is even more immune to the cold than I am and goes swimming in the ocean when it's 60F, while I won't go in below 65F and my sister, who also lives in FL won't go in below 75F.

My whole point is that I try to always provide the relevant conditions of temperature and wind/windchill and sometimes humidity, precip, and sunshine, so people can make their own decisions on how to prepare. Whether someone thinks "cold" is below 50F, 40F, 30F or 20F shouldn't matter too much if one knows the expected conditions.

Below is a link to a good thread on a weather forum on what people think "cold" is and, of course it's all over the place. However, my favorite answer is this guy from Minnesota, excerpted below...

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=12399.0

THE MINNESOTA TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART

>60 Above
>New Jerseyites try to turn on the heat
>People in Minn. plant gardens

>50 Above
>Californians shiver uncontrollably
>People in Minn. sunbathe

>40 Above
>Italian and English cars won't start
>People in Minn. drive with the windows down

>32 Above
>Distilled water freezes
>Lake Mille Lacs water gets thicker

>20 Above
>Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and woolly hats
>People in Minn. throw on a flannel shirt

>15 Above
>Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat
>People in Minn. have the last cookout before it gets too cold

>Zero
>People in Miami all die
>Minnesotans lick the flagpole

>20 Below
>Iowans fly away to Mexico
>People in MN get out their winter coats

>40 Below
>Hollywood disintegrates
>The Girl Scouts in MN are selling cookies door to door

>60 Below
>Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic
>MN Boy Scouts postpone "winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough

>80 Below
>Mt. St. Helen's freezes
>People in MN rent some videos

>100 Below
>Santa Claus abandons the North Pole
>Minnesotans get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg

>297 Below
>Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products
>Cows in MN complain about farmers with cold hands

>460 Below
>All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin Scale)
>People in MN start saying "cold nuff for ya?"

>500 Below
>Hell freezes over
>The Minnesota Vikings win the Super Bowl .

Given multiple successive model runs showing the low on Saturday staying well to our south (the latest 6Z GFS even has precip not making it further north than NC), it's just about a lock for chilly and dry conditions with partly sunny skies and light winds. The NWS is now carrying <5% chance of any showers and has taken all mention of rain out of the forecast and discussion, so normally, 4 days out I'd say it's a lock for dry conditions, but I've seen too many setups like this where modeling overdoes the suppression of precip at this range, so I think it's worth waiting until tonight to be that confident. I did change the thread title though, as we now have some idea.

To be clear, by "chilly" I mean highs in the low 40s and temps dropping into the mid/upper 30s by the end of the game - with 5-10 mph winds that will have wind chills in the upper 30s during tailgating and down around 30F by the end of the game. Some might call that "cool" and others "cold," but the key thing is to provide the actual forecast temps and let the reader decide. The most important thing is a dry forecast, as it's easy to stay warm when it's chilly and dry, but way harder when it's wet.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Going to be quite a soaker starting late this afternoon, though, with widespread 1.5-2.5" rainfall amounts through sunrise tomorrow and gusty winds (up to 30-35 mph gusts), but probably not enough rain for more than localized urban flooding (especially due to clogged drains from leaves). Thanksgiving looks gorgeous with highs in the low 50s and breezy conditions.
More good news, as the major 12Z global models (Euro, UK, GFS, CMC) that came out recently all have any precip on Saturday confined to NC and southward, which is 300+ miles from here. It would be a modeling failure of pretty epic proportions for the expected low pressure system to shift back north far enough to give us rain, so I'd say let's lock it up for chilly or cold, depending on one's perspective (highs in the low 40s dropping into the mid/upper 30s by 6-7 pm), and most importantly dry with plenty of sunshine for the tailgates and a fairly light breeze of 5-10 mph, which will make it feel a little cooler especially after sunset, with windchills dropping down to around freezing by the end of the game. Fantastic football weather for late November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT