ADVERTISEMENT

What a choke by Michigan State

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
That was one of the worst games I have ever seen in the NCAA by a team that was supposed to be so outstanding. Michigan State won the rebounding in like a 2 to 1 margin. They shot almost all threes and hit under 25 %. Why didn't they drive the ball. They looked horrible all game long. They missed their last 14 field goal attempts. Jackson did nothing all game. Bridges who some thought would be one of the top draft picks did very little. They could have built a house with all the bricks they shot. Izzo is supposed to be such a great coach and that is all they could do was take threes. That was one complete embarrassment.

That was one of the worst games I have ever seen in the NCAA by a team that was supposed to be so outstanding. Michigan State won the rebounding in like a 2 to 1 margin. They shot almost all threes and hit under 25 %. Why didn't they drive the ball. They looked horrible all game long. They missed their last 14 field goal attempts. Jackson did nothing all game. Bridges who some thought would be one of the top draft picks did very little. They could have built a house with all the bricks they shot. Izzo is supposed to be such a great coach and that is all they could do was take threes. That was one complete embarrassment.

Boeheim > Izzo...as much as I hate to admit.

It's not like there's much open going to the basket against the Syracuse zone. You kinda have to make some outside shots to beat them.

Reactions: shields and RUJMM78
Centers were in foul trouble all game. Take in to the middle. Had them winning it all. Fraud.

Syracuse does not have many good players this year, probably not much different than Rutgers, but give Boeheim credit. He does the best he can with the players he has. This year’s team is offensively challenged so he slowed it way down, and makes the other win by shooting 3’s

When you are out rebounding your opponent by 40-22 with a few minutes to go and you have about 20 offensive rebounds and your team is loaded with talent and you can't make follow ups or threes I will call it a choke. Their team is loaded with star players at every position on the floor and you lose to guys with no where near the beef that Bridges and Ward etc have I think that is a major collapse.

Reactions: biazza38
I definitely give Boeheim credit today. He had way less talent and his team won. Michigan State's offense looked worse today than we did in many games.

Reactions: shields
Boeheim seems to do his best work with teams that have somewhat limited talent. It is all relative of course, but this is not a very talented team. They play excellent defense and Boeheim has them focused.

I also think the "having a chip on your shoulder" factor counts here because most people didn't even think they belonged in the tournament.

Who would think that Edison N.J. would have two kids that have played major roles in the tournament so far. Battle did well for Syracuse and Townes has been playing well for Loyola.

Reactions: bac2therac

“Drive the ball”??? I was half asleep watching that game but I’m pretty sure Syracuse set the zone the entire day, right? Probably had something to do with it but I’d imagine.

They had more than enough good looks to have won this game easily. Some days everybody is just cold.

Didn't see game but Michigan state was overrated the whole year. Chemistry on court never came together. Telling sign was us almost beating them twice as well as Wisconsin giving them everything they can handle in big 10 quarters. Could care less about what scouts say about Jackson but did he really overwhelm at all this year? No. Bridges at games where he was the difference. Another thing that hurt mich state was theirnoutside shooting was not good and mcquaid is mediocre at best and not a zone buster.

Reactions: DECKRU and BillyC80
My thoughts as well. Jackson did nothing but I thought Izzo should have given him more minutes. He can shoot , block shots and rebound. Totally didn't understand Izzo's coaching.

Boeheim seems to do his best work with teams that have somewhat limited talent. It is all relative of course, but this is not a very talented team. They play excellent defense and Boeheim has them focused.
agreed but Brissette is a player

Didn't see game but Michigan state was overrated the whole year. Chemistry on court never came together. Telling sign was us almost beating them twice as well as Wisconsin giving them everything they can handle in big 10 quarters. Could care less about what scouts say about Jackson but did he really overwhelm at all this year? No. Bridges at games where he was the difference. Another thing that hurt mich state was theirnoutside shooting was not good and mcquaid is mediocre at best and not a zone buster.
Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Jackson and Bridges. They will probably be much better players in the NBA when they play in a real offense. Draymond Green didn't overwhelm people at MSU, either.

Last edited:
Michigan State proved they were a fraud today. Boeheim owns Izzo. That was a garbage performance from a Big 10 regular season champ..and Cuse played pretty poor on the offense end themselves. Oh well I am now out of both of money brackets

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Michigan State proved they were a fraud today. Boeheim owns Izzo. That was a garbage performance from a Big 10 regular season champ..and Cuse played pretty poor on the offense end themselves. Oh well I am now out of both of money brackets

They have been a fraud the last 10 years.

Izzo had Syracuse in severe foul trouble and a late lead but couldn’t capitalize. Syracuse has no depth either. Izoo plays too many players and the studs rest too much. He even did that against us at he game in the RAC. I think he tried to go with “shooters” over talent and the shooters couldn’t shoot.

The chemistry on that team seemed off all year.

Bridges, Jackson, Ward, Langford, and Winston is probably the best starting 5 in the game... and one and done.

Number 13 for MSU stinks. Late in the second half, he was playing near the free throw line in the middle of SU zone. Several times the guards would get him the ball and he seemed confused as what to do with it. If you can get the ball to that position against the zone, you have the defense at your mercy. Just about every time #13 froze refusing to attack the basket, shoot the short jumper or set up the cutting player (along the baseline) to the basket. He would just kick the ball back out to the guards standing well behind the 3 pt line and with less than 7 or 8 seconds on the clock. WTF MSU.

Really tonight Michigan state chemistry was off all year

They needed to make the extra pass or two today and settled for decent shots that didn’t fall where more team ball could have led to better looks and the higher percentage for the Win

Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Jackson and Bridges. They will probably be much better players in the NBA when they play in a real offense. Draymond Green didn't overwhelm people at MSU, either.

Agree with you. I think Jackson and Bridges will be solid pros. I think they went to the wrong school unfortunately. From a basketball standpoint, Bridges made a mistake by returning.

Boeheim > Izzo...as much as I hate to admit.

Izzo wasn’t the one missing dozens of wide open 3-point shots against the Cuse zone. I can’t remember a worse shooting display been today. And, I’m a Rutgers fan!

Reactions: FastMJ
Agree bdoger. I saw last three minutes when they had such a big lead.

Number 13 for MSU stinks. Late in the second half, he was playing near the free throw line in the middle of SU zone. Several times the guards would get him the ball and he seemed confused as what to do with it. If you can get the ball to that position against the zone, you have the defense at your mercy. Just about every time #13 froze refusing to attack the basket, shoot the short jumper or set up the cutting player (along the baseline) to the basket. He would just kick the ball back out to the guards standing well behind the 3 pt line and with less than 7 or 8 seconds on the clock. WTF MSU.
I thought so as well. One time , rather than take an open shot near the foul line he passed it outside and then the clock ran out. I thought Izzo screamed at him after the play during a timeout.

Agree with you. I think Jackson and Bridges will be solid pros. I think they went to the wrong school unfortunately. From a basketball standpoint, Bridges made a mistake by returning.
He did. The problem with all this one and done superpower recruiting is that these players now have to develop in the NBA. That's just about the only place players actually get better other than in mid major programs.

MSU was even wore than that. I believe they were something like 8-40 which is 20%. They normally shoot like 39% from 3 pint range. If they did, they wouldn't have beaten Sadexcuse by 20 points. Bridges, their superstar was horrible. He shot a dismal 4-18 from the field. One can say that was because of Sadexcuse's defense, but many of his shots from outside just like his teammates were uncontested. They all just choked. Terrible game. Many including myself had picked them to be in the Final Four. What a poor showing against a team and school I despise.

Not talking about the NBA level......talking about College....Bridges was a damn good player in college and I think his game will equate to the NBA....Jackson not so sure....he's a projected lottery pick so he has to go but he needs more seasoning.....

It's not like either team made a field goal for the last 7 minutes for so. Horrible game, and horrible loss for Izzo. Funny how much love there is for JB among Rutgers fans.

They have been a fraud the last 10 years.

Izzo had Syracuse in severe foul trouble and a late lead but couldn’t capitalize. Syracuse has no depth either. Izoo plays too many players and the studs rest too much. He even did that against us at he game in the RAC. I think he tried to go with “shooters” over talent and the shooters couldn’t shoot.

The chemistry on that team seemed off all year.

Bridges, Jackson, Ward, Langford, and Winston is probably the best starting 5 in the game... and one and done.

2 out of 3 years they bailed early with national championship expectations..not a good look for Izzo...now some will say geez you are being hard on him but those are the expectations..minimum is reaching the sweet 16, last year give him a pass but not this year and the year before

Reactions: Mr Magoo
2 out of 3 years they bailed early with national championship expectations..not a good look for Izzo...now some will say geez you are being hard on him but those are the expectations..minimum is reaching the sweet 16, last year give him a pass but not this year and the year before
I agree. Izzo has sold his soul just like Coach K did (both chasing Calipari) to bring in the super studs. Only difference is Izzo hasn't been able to do anything notable with them. He'll get his high rankings and 25 win seasons but give me Beilein's approach any day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT