ADVERTISEMENT

What is Chris Ash's Vision??

Did Schiano win any championships?

That's not the point. The point is he had strategic vision and that helped him recruit and sell tickets. Where does Ash see the program in 3-5 years ? I haven't heard him say anything other than we're gonna get better each day. That doesn't cut it. getting better each day is assumed in any program.

Y’all are acting f******* stupid. There ain’t no other way to put it, and I’m not even a huge fan of Ash. Guy has seriously upgraded a lot of our groundwork and also wants to ‘win championships’. What f******* coach at this level isn’t trying to “win championships”? I guess saying things at a podium are more important than the actual work.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Maybe he needs a shelf like Pike with places for 3 future basketballs.

What are they for?

NCAA appearance
Final Four
NCAA championship
?

How about a shelf with a place for 3 balls
Bowl game
B1G championship
NCAA playoff appearance / championship

The 1st we will get
The other 2 - probably never.
Just too much competition, and need too many great players.

Can basketball realistically ever get to the Final 4?

I think so.
Sure wouldn’t be easy, but only need 7 or so really good players, and anything is possible.

Last edited:
That's not the point. The point is he had strategic vision and that helped him recruit and sell tickets. Where does Ash see the program in 3-5 years ? I haven't heard him say anything other than we're gonna get better each day. That doesn't cut it. getting better each day is assumed in any program.

See:
Al, didn't watch his press conference when he got hired? Watch it again.

You know @RUaMoose, you are being purposely obtuse because your necktie guy did not get the job. The last two RU head coaches talked about winning championships. The first of those guys had a chance, and may have succeeded if he did not leave RU in a lurch. The second of those guys, who I actually think was a better game day coach than the first guy, almost got us there with the first guy's players, but he eroded away the pillars of the program that got us to the point where we could have and should have won a BIG EAST championship. Ash has been fixing that structural damage to the program. Hell, he had to shore up the floors for the weight room--symbolic?

Here is what Ash said. If you guys (@rutgersal too) have a problem with what he said, you guys have the problem, not Coach Ash. His vision is refreshing. Standing up at the podium and talking about championships with what Flood and Julie and Barchi left behind would be the equivalent of a 450 pound guy bragging about how he has plans to bang the entire squad of Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders--it's laughable. You want to do great things? Put in the work to be the best that you can be. That's his message.

Give it a rest, gentlemen. You whining is growing old. It's year 2. Mistakes were made by a new coach. Mistakes have been corrected. Onward, upward. Don't look back.

I WANT TO BUILD A FIRST CLASS PROGRAM.

A PROGRAM THAT THE UNIVERSITY, THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, HIGH SCHOOL COACHES AND HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS CAN BE PROUD TO SAY ITS THEIRS AND THEY WANT TO COME HERE AND BE A PART OF IT.

WE DON'T NEED NEW JERSEY KIDS AND PLAYERS GOING TO OTHER PROGRAMS. WE NEED TO KEEP THEM HERE AT HOME AT RUTGERS AND BE THE BEST THAT WE CAN BE HERE.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN THIS FOOTBALL TEAM- I WANT TO BUILD A FAST, PHYSICAL TEAM THAT PLAYS WITH RELENTLESS EFFORT, TREMENDOUS ENTHUSIASM, AND PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER.

I WANT OUR OPPONENTS TO TURN ON THE FILM AND SAY, "YOU KNOW WHAT, THIS IS A REAL ONE. WE BETTER STRAP IT ON BECAUSE THESE GUYS ARE GOING TO COME AND PLAY HARD.THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY TOGETHER AND PLAY FOR FOUR QUARTERS."

AND THAT'S THE TYPE OF PROGRAM I WANT TO BUILD HERE AT RUTGERS.

OUR MISSION STATEMENT--IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT WINS, IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS. IT'S GOING TO INCLUDE AND TALK ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT WE ARE GOING TO CREATE TO DEVELOP THESE PLAYERS, MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY TO REACH THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. AND TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL.

AND IF WE CAN GET THAT DONE, THE WINS WILL COME

And, Oh:
pbox.php

I do think Hatinthering made one good point- Ash needs to sell vision better. Needing to ‘sell it better’ though does NOT equate to ‘not having it’.

Joe P.

See:

You know @RUaMoose, you are being purposely obtuse because your necktie guy did not get the job. The last two RU head coaches talked about winning championships. The first of those guys had a chance, and may have succeeded if he did not leave RU in a lurch. The second of those guys, who I actually think was a better game day coach than the first guy, almost got us there with the first guy's players, but he eroded away the pillars of the program that got us to the point where we could have and should have won a BIG EAST championship. Ash has been fixing that structural damage to the program. Hell, he had to shore up the floors for the weight room--symbolic?

Here is what Ash said. If you guys (@rutgersal too) have a problem with what he said, you guys have the problem, not Coach Ash. His vision is refreshing. Standing up at the podium and talking about championships with what Flood and Julie and Barchi left behind would be the equivalent of a 450 pound guy bragging about how he has plans to bang the entire squad of Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders--it's laughable. You want to do great things? Put in the work to be the best that you can be. That's his message.

Give it a rest, gentlemen. You whining is growing old. It's year 2. Mistakes were made by a new coach. Mistakes have been corrected. Onward, upward. Don't look back.

A PROGRAM THAT THE UNIVERSITY, THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, HIGH SCHOOL COACHES AND HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS CAN BE PROUD TO SAY ITS THEIRS AND THEY WANT TO COME HERE AND BE A PART OF IT.

WE DON'T NEED NEW JERSEY KIDS AND PLAYERS GOING TO OTHER PROGRAMS. WE NEED TO KEEP THEM HERE AT HOME AT RUTGERS AND BE THE BEST THAT WE CAN BE HERE.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN THIS FOOTBALL TEAM- I WANT TO BUILD A FAST, PHYSICAL TEAM THAT PLAYS WITH RELENTLESS EFFORT, TREMENDOUS ENTHUSIASM, AND PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER.

I WANT OUR OPPONENTS TO TURN ON THE FILM AND SAY, "YOU KNOW WHAT, THIS IS A REAL ONE. WE BETTER STRAP IT ON BECAUSE THESE GUYS ARE GOING TO COME AND PLAY HARD.THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY TOGETHER AND PLAY FOR FOUR QUARTERS."

OUR MISSION STATEMENT--IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT WINS, IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS. IT'S GOING TO INCLUDE AND TALK ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT WE ARE GOING TO CREATE TO DEVELOP THESE PLAYERS, MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY TO REACH THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. AND TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL.

And, Oh:
pbox.php

Now, that my friends, is a vision. Well said.

Reactions: RUonBrain
See:

That mission statement is NOT good enough
You need to have a ultimate goal of championships to sell to the recruits. Who cares that your going to be the best that you can be. For Rutgers a 5-7 record is A-ok and we are singing kumbaya that it is a clean program. RECRUITS NEED TO HEAR ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS AS WELL MR ASH!!!

You know @RUaMoose, you are being purposely obtuse because your necktie guy did not get the job. The last two RU head coaches talked about winning championships. The first of those guys had a chance, and mmay have succeeded if he did not leave RU in a lurch. The second of those guys, who I actually think was a better game day coach than the first guy, almost got us there with the first guy's players, but he eroded away the pillars of the program that got us to the point where we could have and should have won a BIG EAST championship. Ash has been fixing that structural damage to the program. Hell, he had to shore up the floors for the weight room--symbolic?

And, Oh:
pbox.php

Y’all are acting f******* stupid. There ain’t no other way to put it, and I’m not even a huge fan of Ash. Guy has seriously upgraded a lot of our groundwork and also wants to ‘win championships’. What f******* coach at this level isn’t trying to “win championships”? I guess saying things at a podium are more important than the actual work.

Joe P.

Shouldn't surprise you Joe. Posters who don't like Ash or in this case, wanted someone else, will dig deep to find a reason to knock him. It doesn't even need to make sense in the grand scheme.

Words are just words. Promises mean little. Ash will eventually be judged by results on the field and adherence to a set of values off, not snappy banter at a presser or interview.

Did you change your meds or something Al? I liked when you were insane much better than this new mopey pile of crap you've transformed into.

Reactions: RUonBrain and RU62
I don't I don't think it's people that don't like ash. If you have to ask what his vision is or go back to when he was hired then he's not selling his vision. Some of you people don't realize that you live on this board and a bubble and the rest of the state knows Diddley about the guy or what he's trying to do. All the state knows is that he makes bonehead move games he seemingly can't win games and the program is at the bottom of the Big Ten. This board is not representative of the state or the high school coaching Community where the reviews are more than mixed and mostly turning negative

Greg was a terrific salesman and Ash needs to stop looking constipated and lost on the sidelines get out get in front of the media talk to people visit every single high school in the state and sell the program

Consider his comment about hiring Nunzio, particularly the recruiting part:

“I didn’t want to hire a guy because he will help us in recruiting,” said Ash. “I wanted a guy who could help us coach and connect with guys on our roster. This was about hiring a guy who is a great person, connects well with people, is very confident in coaching football, a guy who has had success."

Ash truly believes in what he's doing, which means, he thinks he's going to be successful with or without the four star recruits that this thread and all the other threads questioning Ash, are truly about.

Winning championships? We can't even pony up $275K to keep Wr coaches. Championships aren't in our future no matter who the coach is. A lot has changed sine Schiano was here. The money now is crazy and other programs not only have the tens of millions from TV revenue but that alumni base willing to support $1.5 million coordinators. We don't. Asking Rutgers to win championships is the equivalent of expecting the Pittsburgh Pirates or Miami Marlins to win championships. That's who we are for the near term, the low revenue Baseball team....without the benefit of getting top draft picks given to us..so it's actually even worse.

Ash's vision is to develop the kids he gets and mold a well trained, tough group of football players who play smart football. If he does that, then he will open eyes and start knocking off some four stars. Saw a lot of improvement from year one to year two, on the field. Keep improving, that's what his job is. So far, so good.

I don't I don't think it's people that don't like ash. If you have to ask what his vision is or go back to when he was hired then he's not selling his vision. Some of you people don't realize that you live on this board and a bubble and the rest of the state knows Diddley about the guy or what he's trying to do. All the state knows is that he makes bonehead move games he seemingly can't win games and the program is at the bottom of the Big Ten. This board is not representative of the state or the high school coaching Community where the reviews are more than mixed and mostly turning negative

Greg was a terrific salesman and Ash needs to stop looking constipated and lost on the sidelines get out get in front of the media talk to people visit every single high school in the state and sell the program
We don't have to ask. The vision is winning football games. This thread was started by a psychotic who once became a national joke singing to a 17 year old young man on YouTube.

Basically sounds like he is selling a try hard hard blue collar program that may or may not get to bowl games, but will give good effort. Sounds very mid- westish. I could see him achieving it though. It actually sounds about right as to the ceiling right now.

vision is winning football games? lol....is that what Ash has been doing, how he's been coaching? No one, NO ONE watching will say he's coached to win.

guy is gone in a few years so start thinking about who is next

Reactions: RUaMoose
He has no vision or rather, doesn't sell his vision. if you have to go back to when he was hired to tell what his vision is, ...
That's the point right there. Even if Schiano never brought home a championship, everybody knew that was his vision. And by everybody, I don't mean just the people on this board. That's what was printed in the rags, that's what was told to coaches, that's what he sold to recruits, etc. People who were not connected to the program and who did not follow Rutgers football closely knew this.

I can't think of many other tasks that will be as pointless as "starting to think who is next".
vision is winning football games? lol....is that what Ash has been doing, how he's been coaching? No one, NO ONE watching will say he's coached to win.

guy is gone in a few years so start thinking about who is next

Reactions: TODDB33
I honestly don't know. Greg Schiano was very clear about his vision, he said "We're going to win Champonships". With Ash, what's the end goal?
To put himself in a position where he has had enough success at Rutgers that when a big job opens up he is a prime candidate. Right now he would have trouble getting a HCing job in the MAC, well maybe Buffalo.

That's the point right there. Even if Schiano never brought home a championship, everybody knew that was his vision. And by everybody, I don't mean just the people on this board. That's what was printed in the rags, that's what was told to coaches, that's what he sold to recruits, etc. People who were not connected to the program and who did not follow Rutgers football closely knew this.

I actually agree strongly with this, though it’s a different point than what many here are trying to say.

Joe P.

It’s so much more convoluted when you hear Ash’s vision. I like USC’s. “We play to win championships”. It’s a all over the place there. In every sport they field. So much better.

exactly
the problem here is people need to defend an bad purchase. Purchasing behavior is a fascinating field to study.

It’s so much more convoluted when you hear Ash’s vision. I like USC’s. “We play to win championships”. It’s a all over the place there. In every sport they field. So much better.
It's "The Hunt" , so quiet down cause your stirring up all the rabbits. It would be a better modo for Fudd.

exactly
the problem here is people need to defend an bad purchase. Purchasing behavior is a fascinating field to study.

...but you guys haven’t been arguing this point at all. You’ve been saying he has *no vision*, not *he’s not stating/ selling his vision clearly/ effectively*. Flood had no vision IMO and it showed in the way everything went to s***. Ash may not be selling his vision well on the road but we’ve moved forward from the sh**show that was the previous regime, and whomever takes the reins next will be in a much better position. That’s what many of you absolutely fail to see, whether it’s accidental or intentional.

Joe P.

I honestly don't know. Greg Schiano was very clear about his vision, he said "We're going to win Champonships". With Ash, what's the end goal?

His goal is to make enough noise at Rutgers that a bigger school takes notice and hires him as HC. Ash has never seemed to be a guy who planned to stick around for 10 years or more. Just the truth

He has no vision or rather, doesn't sell his vision. if you have to go back to when he was hired to tell what his vision is, he has no vision

This is exactly what I'm getting at. his message/vision isn't resonating with the best New Jersey recruits. I'm looking at a top 10 class of 2019, and I have doubts as to whether we can land any of them.

A vision should be easy to remember, simple, clear, and aspirational, imo. His stated vision, which knightshft provided, doesn't aspire to excellence.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I get it that he isn't a Rah Rah type but what exactly can his vision be that would sell you guys? wining championships? don't make me laugh...Wouldn't that be similar to walking into the Honda Dealer and asking the salesman why you should get the Accord and his tells you that you are going to get all the hot girls and you will have the fastest car on the road..
Guys, while our facilities were pretty damn nice 10 years ago in the old BE, they are about the worst in the B1G. Flood and Julie drove this program and it's rep out the door and we have no funding....His ONLY vision is exactly what every recruit talks about after a visit. The vision is bring Rutgers to respectability again and improving every aspect of the program.
Recruits are talking about the new facilities that are in the plans, they are talking about what Ash is doing to improve everything. They talk about being a part of making this program very good.
If they were walking out saying they were promised to play in Championships, it would be a joke.
On the other hand...this is the year that maybe there should be a little more talk about bowl games...Because it is a year that we have a shot at it.

His goal is to make enough noise at Rutgers that a bigger school takes notice and hires him as HC. Ash has never seemed to be a guy who planned to stick around for 10 years or more. Just the truth
We have no way of knowing whether this is true or not but I will say this: if we limited our pool of HC candidates to those that planned to stick around for 10 years or more, we would have ended up with another Flood. Just the truth.

Agree. This is just one example of the speculation that the anti Ash crowd use as a base for their weak argument that he is a bad coach.

We have no way of knowing whether this is true or not but I will say this: if we limited our pool of HC candidates to those that planned to stick around for 10 years or more, we would have ended up with another Flood. Just the truth.

I had the opportunity to hear Hobbs speak this past week and HIS vision is quite clear. Improve the infrastructure substantially, improve the overall donation base, try and get the potential big donors on board and don't embarrass the program during that process. Hobbs made the comment with a smile "We cannot afford to embarrass ourselves anymore" multiple times. Yes, we can point to the lack of wins and short sighted coaching budget, but Hobbs is more concerned in building the infrastructure to a B1G level. What good is throwing an extra $100K to a WR coach when your practice facilities were a joke and your wrestling team is practicing in a facility that resembles my high school and you still have the media stain of a department that resemble the keystone cops.

There was major damage done to both our BB and football programs over the past several years and if Hobbs is going to get the athletic department anywhere near first class he CANNOT afford another public embarrassment. One thing Ash, Pike, Stringer and Goodale have in common is that they can be trusted to run their programs in a way that will not derail his goal of building a first class Athletic Department for the chance at maybe a few extra wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT