ADVERTISEMENT

What will Rutgers wrestling’s 2021 lineup look like?

Ah, now Seabass in the line-up. Has he determined that he'll move up to 141? If Jojo is moving to wrestle 149, he has to come in much stronger than last year. Maybe he gets that redshirt year after all.

The Wrestling season NEEDS to happen!!!!
Imagine those training sessions between SeaBass, Suriano, Ashnault and Alvarez....
How do you not get better?

If Suriano comes back it will be amazing.

Given Goodale's comments today regarding Glasgow, I'm not too optimistic. He said his health is good but some overriding questions about grades and motivation (my inference). I wonder why he would choose California over training at home.
I agree. I think the psychological damage done his true freshman year has burned him out. He got hammered that year. The lagging school work is just another sign of his lack of commitment.

I agree. I think the psychological damage done his true freshman year has burned him out. He got hammered that year. The lagging school work is just another sign of his lack of commitment.
Dylan Cedeno is in Portal. I can confirm 100% he wants to come to RU. Question is if we have room and and $ for him. Would provide a very solid 125/133 backup and potential starter down line.

Reactions: brentx35
Dylan Cedeno is in Portal. I can confirm 100% he wants to come to RU. Question is if we have room and and $ for him. Would provide a very solid 125/133 backup and potential starter down line.
Why is he transferring? Money? I'd guess very little money for him, especially since we have Joey Olivieri coming.

If Suriano does not return, think Alvarez will wrestle(if his weight is not a problem, if he outgrew 133 then redshirt).
If both do not wrestle, 133 will be a problem for us. Would think Robinson and Metzler winner would have the spot to start.
Unless Alvarez is able to add significant strength I think 141 will be a struggle...

Just not happy with decision. Wants to be closer to home
I'd guess we don't have much, if any money for him, and he's more of a depth addition. Does he want to come and pay his own way or can he get academic money?

Agreed the kid is pretty much done. He is far removed from the wrestling skills he once had in high school.Either way, we have a strong team moving forward for this season. I just pray we do have a wrestling season with NCAA championships.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not a lot of spots left. Aguilar is the starter at 125 and I’m assuming either Messina or Shawver will be the backup if either one can stay at 125.

At 133 you have Alvarez, possibly Rivera but he’s probably a 141, the eventual possibility of Suriano, plus Eckloff, Metzler, Robinson, Britton, and again either Messina or Shawver.

We need a transfer at 184 and/or 197. We have zero depth at those weights.
Poz and Janzer likely starters, Lightner the backup at 197 and a couple fringe freshmen at each weight class. Turley could also probably get to 184 though not sure if that’s in his best interest. Could definitely use a guy with more experience/ability there but Poz and Janzer aren’t guys who have been banged up a lot despite their physical nature. I think we’ll be ok.

Firestone is still around? He participated in senior night activities last year despite being a redshirt junior. Other redshirt juniors like Donner did not. I assumed that meant he was graduating and moving on.

Firestone is still around? He participated in senior night activities last year despite being a redshirt junior. Other redshirt juniors like Donner did not. I assumed that meant he was graduating and moving on.

He probably wanted to participate just in case he decided not to return. Harley would know if Firestone is still around.

Would be nice to see Alvarez at 133 one more season.
Use his redshirt year to jump up to 141 (similar to when Ashnault did it his senior year)

Of course, i do not have to maintain that 133 weight!

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Would be nice to see Alvarez at 133 one more season.
Use his redshirt year to jump up to 141 (similar to when Ashnault did it his senior year)

Of course, i do not have to maintain that 133 weight!
He’s a tall guy for 133. I hope he can make the cut, but have my doubts. I think he’s better off hitting the Weightroom and redshirting this year.

6 guys ranked on the open mat

Rivera at 4 and Alvarez at 7 were the highest. Aguilar, Grello, Janzer, and MVB also ranked

Thought it was interesting they had Fix, Micic, and a ton of other potential Olympic redshirts ranked but did not list Suriano.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Boone/Collucci get ranked at some point this season, and we all think highly of Vulakh, Kanniard, and Poz. Should be a pretty solid team.

Rivera at 4 and Alvarez at 7 were the highest. Aguilar, Grello, Janzer, and MVB also ranked

Thought it was interesting they had Fix, Micic, and a ton of other potential Olympic redshirts ranked but did not list Suriano.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Boone/Collucci get ranked at some point this season, and we all think highly of Vulakh, Kanniard, and Poz. Should be a pretty solid team.
Pretty solid might be an understatement. We’ll have at least 8 ranked at some point in the season. The first 6 + Boone is almost a given, and I’m very confident at least one of the other three will get there. Decent chance at all 3. Top 15 should be very attainable, top 10 the high-end goal.

This should be our best team from a dual standpoint since 2015 at a minimum.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Injuries aside, I’d set the over under for NQ’s at 8 and AA’s at 2. 141 is automatic, very optimistic at 133, and I think we’d have a really good shot at getting at least one from 125, 174, or HWT.

I also think Poz has elite potential. We should be able to find out where he stands pretty quickly. 184 is probably the weakest class of the big 10 in terms of high end talent. Brooks is probably the best but everyone else is very beatable.

Hope SCNJ is right. I think 184 is a pretty good weight class. Might no be the BIG's best. But, nationwide it is pretty good. Consider these guys and their ranking. As a true frosh, where does Poz fit?

1.Max Dean Cornell,
2 JR Hunter Bolen Virginia Tech
3 SO Trent Hidlay NC State
4 JR Lou Deprez Binghamton
5 SO Aaron Brooks Penn State
6 JR Nino Bonaccorsi Pittsburgh
7 JR Cameron Caffey Michigan State
8 SR Taylor Venz Nebraska
9 SO Abe Assad Iowa
10 SO Rocky Jordan Ohio State
11 SO Anthony Montalvo OK State
12 SO Zach Braunagel Illinois
13 JR Matthew Waddell Chattanooga
14 SR Chris Weiler Wisconsin

Hope SCNJ is right. I think 184 is a pretty good weight class. Might no be the BIG's best. But, nationwide it is pretty good. Consider these guys and their ranking. As a true frosh, where does Poz fit?

1.Max Dean Cornell,
9 SO Abe Assad Iowa
And Gerret Nijenhuis is coming into Purdue at that weight. I would think he gets a chance to start. He is ranked above Poz but they are close.

Injuries aside, I’d set the over under for NQ’s at 8 and AA’s at 2. 141 is automatic, very optimistic at 133, and I think we’d have a really good shot at getting at least one from 125, 174, or HWT.
Grello? No way, we've seen him for three years and he's the exact same wrestler since year one. He's an above .500 wrestler and that's about it. However, I agree it's a solid dual group that will only continue to get better as it's still a young group. NCAA's maybe top 15 but not much higher.

1.Max Dean Cornell,
9 SO Abe Assad Iowa

I believe Caffey is going 197 this year. The big 10 is good at every weight class and I don’t mean to downplay the talent but when you look at 125 and see Spencer Lee, Foley and Schroeder, then look at 133 and see DeSanto, Micic, and RBY... then you get to 184 and see Taylor Venz and Rocky Jordan towards the top, it’s just not very top heavy. Both guys are good but are they someone you go into wondering how the hell your going to compete? No way

I believe Caffey is going 197 this year. The big 10 is good at every weight class and I don’t mean to downplay the talent but when you look at 125 and see Spencer Lee, Foley and Schroeder, then look at 133 and see DeSanto, Micic, and RBY... then you get to 184 and see Taylor Venz and Rocky Jordan towards the top, it’s just not very top heavy. Both guys are good but are they someone you go into wondering how the hell your going to compete? No way
Agreed, a freshman is going to have a easier time breaking through at 184 next year then the top heavy 133...

Loving Poz’s work ethic and everyone has good words about him but hard to predict how he will do against the top tier 184 pounders rn.. most of them were blue chipper recruits..

Grello? No way, we've seen him for three years and he's the exact same wrestler since year one. He's an above .500 wrestler and that's about it. However, I agree it's a solid dual group that will only continue to get better as it's still a young group. NCAA's maybe top 15 but not much higher.
Rutgers usually has a surprise senior get hot heading into the postseason lately. Delvecchio and Theobold come to mind and Pagano was really going towards the end of this past season. I think Grello can be that guy this year.

Rutgers usually has a surprise senior get hot heading into the postseason lately. Delvecchio and Theobold come to mind and Pagano was really going towards the end of this past season. I think Grello can be that guy this year.
I'd rather put my money on Van Brill than Joe. Van Brill seemed for some unbeknownst reason to flip a switch at the end of the year. Joe maybe the best conditioned wrestler we have, but he sure as sh*t doesn't push the action once on the mat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT