ADVERTISEMENT

What will Rutgers wrestling’s 2021 lineup look like?

I think we’re going to have a ton of kids take a year off. I think we have 38 kids rostered currently with 7 kids in their 5th year and 3 kids in the RS junior season. Plus the Suriano situation. In other words, there’s going to be some decent roster turnover after this upcoming year just with kids graduating.

I don’t want to speculate about cuts, but we have 11 incoming freshmen and a handful of them weren’t high state placers last year if at all. I would imagine a lot of them aren’t going to make the team this year. With no disrespect intended, it’s just hard to picture an 8th place high school wrestler for example cracking a big 10 lineup. It’s just a whole different beast.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think we’re going to have a ton of kids take a year off. I think we have 38 kids rostered currently with 7 kids in their 5th year and 3 kids in the RS junior season. Plus the Suriano situation. In other words, there’s going to be some decent roster turnover after this upcoming year just with kids graduating.

I don’t want to speculate about cuts, but we have 11 incoming freshmen and a handful of them weren’t high state placers last year if at all. I would imagine a lot of them aren’t going to make the team this year. With no disrespect intended, it’s just hard to picture an 8th place high school wrestler for example cracking a big 10 lineup. It’s just a whole different beast.
I wouldn't be surprised to see all of our current top wrestlers RS and top incoming freshman take a gap year. Rumors abound that other programs will do the same with the uncertainty of this coming season finishing, if it starts at all. Biggest issue with this is $.

I wouldn't be surprised to see all of our current top wrestlers RS and top incoming freshman take a gap year. Rumors abound that other programs will do the same with the uncertainty of this coming season finishing, if it starts at all. Biggest issue with this is $.
Not against that but it would be a shame to RS so much talent with Rivera here for a year.

I would imagine that a gap year is only a financial issue for the kids having to support themselves. I suppose only the redshirting keeps them on the roster.

I've already speculated about cuts, just not identified any in my posts. I've wondered if incoming freshmen would be given more or less consideration than more senior wrestlers who are at 2nd or third backup positions. Potential is important and evidence of that is high school performance.

If all the other big programs star wrestlers take red shirt years, then this could be Rutgers year to sneak into the top 4 and come home with a trophy :WideSmile:

Reactions: c_husk and koleszar
Does Seabass still have that option (i.e.not enroll this year/withdraw) to preserve his last year?

Not against that but it would be a shame to RS so much talent with Rivera here for a year.
Are they giving another Olympic RS as he could take that again?

If all the other big programs star wrestlers take red shirt years, then this could be Rutgers year to sneak into the top 4 and come home with a trophy :WideSmile:
And that's the flip side of why you wouldn't, but then you're risking the loss of 1 yr of eligibility, if NCAAs are canceled again.

Reactions: SCNJ
Does Seabass still have that option (i.e.not enroll this year/withdraw) to preserve his last year?
Nah. His clock started but he can take another Olympic RS, if it's available.

I would imagine that a gap year is only a financial issue for the kids having to support themselves. I suppose only the redshirting keeps them on the roster.

I've already speculated about cuts, just not identified any in my posts. I've wondered if incoming freshmen would be given more or less consideration than more senior wrestlers who are at 2nd or third backup positions. Potential is important and evidence of that is high school performance.

Yeah it’s probably in bad taste to speculate on specific cuts but there are certainly a few incoming freshmen that weren’t highly recruited and a handful of guys on the roster that aren’t ever going to be starters even with injuries. I think everything will end up working out and we won’t have any true cuts but who knows.

Hoepfully, RU will have that decision to make. I am not sure any sports will open until a vaccine is created. All it will take is one wrestler to test positive and expose many people and the season may be shut down.

Of course, i am a pessimist

Reactions: dollarbill
Found it interesting that on FLO Alvarez stated his dream lineup would be 125- Alvarez 133- Suriano 141- Seabass....

He felt pretty confident he could make 125 if he wanted to, that a RS is possible, and that this 1-2-3 combo was better then Iowa’s.

That’s a stacked 1-2-3 but probably unfair to Aguilar who is really the only bonafide 125 on the roster. Unless they think Shawver can make 125 for four years, I’m not a huge fan of burning a year of Aguilars eligibility riding the bench. He wrestled pretty well for a freshman last year.

That’s a stacked 1-2-3 but probably unfair to Aguilar who is really the only bonafide 125 on the roster. Unless they think Shawver can make 125 for four years, I’m not a huge fan of burning a year of Aguilars eligibility riding the bench. He wrestled pretty well for a freshman last year.

It is all hypothetical, but nobody is promised to be a 4 year starter. If Suriano comes back and Alvarez wants to go 125 and beats Aguilar, then too bad for Aguilar. It is no different than if a stud 125 wants to come to Rutgers, redshirts than it is best man wins. If you want to be an elite program that is what happens at certain weights.

It is all hypothetical, but nobody is promised to be a 4 year starter. If Suriano comes back and Alvarez wants to go 125 and beats Aguilar, then too bad for Aguilar. It is no different than if a stud 125 wants to come to Rutgers, redshirts than it is best man wins. If you want to be an elite program that is what happens at certain weights.
This. If Sammy wants to kill himself to make 125, he should every right to do so. Nic can be the backup if Sammy can’t consistently do it.

Being very realistic let’s say 1 champ (Nick), 1 finalist (Seabass), 1 All-American (Alvarez), 2 blood rounds (Boone, Grello/Poz), 3 guys that win matches at nationals (Grello/Poz, Janzer, MVB/Glasgow), and 2 guys that just make nationals (Vulakh, Kanniard). That’s easily a top 10 team right?

Agree entirely

There is thinking and there is feeling. Since we're not making the decisions, both are okay to express. I too would like to see Aguilar at 125 but realize that the competition will determine.

A few words about "fair"... That and "unfair" are two words that I try to avoid because they are extremely subjective and used too frequently as a substitute for "I don't like it" or "it's not good for me". Then there is "fair share" which has never been defined. You see?

I still can't stop thinking that all this speculation is in vain. I do hope to see a season because I fear that a lost year could result in changes that aren't currently forseen. And when talking about Seabass taking a redshirt, consider that he might not even be there after another year. Who knows? I'd like to see him wrestle when we know we have him. Same for the other guys. And Suriano? I wish he were a little more considerate to the program about his intentions, but that's just me. I have my doubts that he'll make the Olympic team but have more confidence in him repeating as NC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT