• # 7

Votes: 5 10.2%

Votes: 7 14.3%

Votes: 5 10.2%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Bottom Four

Votes: 19 38.8%

• Total voters
Monster weight cut but he has made it this year. I'm thinking during the 5 week layoff, Sammy packed it on pretty good and obviously couldn't get it back off.

I mean he has 2+ weeks until the national tournament, how much weight could he have put on that he can't get it off? Couldn't RU just not send someone at 133 to the B1Gs like we did at 157 and he would be a lock for an at large bid. I get that it's brutal but it seems odd to just give up on the post season. I might be missing something, but it seems weird.

I mean he has 2+ weeks until the national tournament, how much weight could he have put on that he can't get it off? Couldn't RU just not send someone at 133 to the B1Gs like we did at 157 and he would be a lock for an at large bid. I get that it's brutal but it seems odd to just give up on the post season. I might be missing something, but it seems weird.
He only had 3 matches so not eligible for at-large

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Different issues, 157 is Covid protocol and they wrote the rules for this season. Sammy is just like Lewis from Va Tech, Lewis is injured, but weighed in at the ACC's and stepped on the mat and lost by inj default. Sammy would have had to weigh in and step on the mat to wrestle at the NCAA's

Reactions: DUForever and MS-RU
As I said a few weeks ago, something is wrong with the program. It falls on the head coach. Tell me where I am wrong.

Reactions: njsportsphan
As I said a few weeks ago, something is wrong with the program. It falls on the head coach. Tell me where I am wrong.
🛑
He didn't wrestle early on in the season because he was struggling to make weight then too, so this isn't surprising, but it is very disappointing. He's huge and looked sluggish when he was out there which was obviously due to cutting too much weight.

Not only did he only have 3 matches which others have stated.

The ONLY reason you can skip conference tourney and still be eligible for at large is if it's COVID related. Weight cut, injuries, etc..you still have to take the mat

Reactions: MS-RU
It's worse than I thought. Just another kick to the balls courtesy of Rutgers Wrestling. No matter how we try to rationalize it, it's a really bad look for the program and Goodale. I'm starting to wish President Holloway got his way and we had no wrestling this year. What a sh*t show.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Not only did he only have 3 matches which others have stated.

The ONLY reason you can skip conference tourney and still be eligible for at large is if it's COVID related. Weight cut, injuries, etc..you still have to take the mat
I know. I had a serious brainfart with the whole COVID protocols\situation being stuck in my head.

Reactions: pish69
Well this really blows... is it possible Sammy just pack it on huge and try to wrestle 157?? Or maybe we don’t send anyone 133, Sammy gets a at large bid and can make 133 weight by the time ncaa starts ??

Well this really blows... is it possible Sammy just pack it on huge and try to wrestle 157?? Or maybe we don’t send anyone 133, Sammy gets a at large bid and can make 133 weight by the time ncaa starts ??
He's done for the year.

In order to wrestle at Nationals you must weigh in and step on the mat at your conference tournament(unless you are in Covid protocol). Not to mention Sammy only has 3 matches so he is not eligible for an at large anyway. He could have moved up to 157, but RU is hoping for a miracle and Kannaird gets an at large.

In order to wrestle at Nationals you must weigh in and step on the mat at your conference tournament(unless you are in Covid protocol). Not to mention Sammy only has 3 matches so he is not eligible for an at large anyway. He could have moved up to 157, but RU is hoping for a miracle and Kannaird gets an at large.
Isnt there a better chance for Sammy to wrestle at 157(he’s prolly around this weight anyway if he can’t make 133). And make nationals then a miracle kanniard at large?? Jeez, what a mess of a season

Isnt there a better chance for Sammy to wrestle at 157(he’s prolly around this weight anyway if he can’t make 133). And make nationals then a miracle kanniard at large?? Jeez, what a mess of a season
You can’t reward Alvarez and eliminate Kanniards chance to qualify for the tournament because Alvarez missed weight

For someone who has been so close to Program you really seem down on Goodale...What about rest of staff? What do you think will get things better?

Reactions: Leonard23

You aren't the only one. Am I wrong that we've had five weeks to manage weight? Is it a surprise the day before that Sammy can't make weight?

One thing after another. But don't you know, it's the kids' fault; we can't get the blue-chips; not enough money; the kid didn't pan out; the kid regresses; coach can't sit in the sauna with the kid (sorry, Bill, but that ignores the obvious things the coach can do); kids will be kids; can't expect the kids to not smoke doobies; the ones that went to the party didn't spread Covid; and on and on.

Now, contrast that to what we heard in pre-season while some here were posting that this was the best line up ever: Aguilar, Grello, Janzer were stronger, better wrestlers; and did Goodale say something about winning the B1G (with Covid help)? And who knows anything about Aragona?

So, what about next year? Will we start at #10 and work toward #20? Will the kids that are ranked lose ground? Will there be year-over-year improvement in any of the wrestlers? Will there be the usual hype, then disappointment after the first match? Will Aragona be there? I hope not to lose talented wrestlers and hope Soldano isn't watching too closely.

For your information Donny worked with Sammy to make weight for the Bigs so let’s all pile on him. Yes this year has been a disaster so let’s make sweeping changes and go hire Terry Brands. I know I am a shill for this coaching staff

For your information Donny worked with Sammy to make weight for the Bigs so let’s all pile on him. Yes this year has been a disaster so let’s make sweeping changes and go hire Terry Brands. I know I am a shill for this coaching staff
Bill
People will always complain and point fingers when things aren't going right. You and I know how hard the coaches prepare these young men. I'm proud of this team and I can't wait to watch them this weekend.
Let's Go Boys wrestles hard.

Mike
I know my friend. It just ticks me off knowing how hard they all work to make it a top program. Is it perfect? No. Can it get better? Of course and the SKWC board is working hard to make the coaches job easier.

Alvarez at 149 is not a bad option.
It did look like the cut to 133 was hurting him in his 3 matches this year.
A big if, but we could still see an Suriano/SeaBass/Alvarez lineup starting at 133 next season.

Poz has been a good surprise this year and it looks like Turley has some positive upside. This year has stunk and I am glad that wrestlers like Turley get to make up for not redshirting his 1st season.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Alvarez at 149 is not a bad option.
It did look like the cut to 133 was hurting him in his 3 matches this year.
A big if, but we could still see an Suriano/SeaBass/Alvarez lineup starting at 133 next season.

Poz has been a good surprise this year and it looks like Turley has some positive upside. This year has stunk and I am glad that wrestlers like Turley get to make up for not redshirting his 1st season.
Except what happens with Aragona? That's a lot of precious scholarship money without a home.

He has to earn a spot. Nothing is given on how much $ you get on scholarship. If he can beat Rivera or Alvarez great. More power to him. If not redshirt him since this year is a free one.

Remember this is a free. Aragona and Sammy still have their redshirt. Maybe Sammy/Aragona go 149/157. Kanniard moves up to 165. This past year the kids didn't have an off season with the coaches because the APC was closed. Hopefully they will be able to lift and wrestle after the season with the staff.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
He has to earn a spot. Nothing is given on how much $ you get on scholarship. If he can beat Rivera or Alvarez great. More power to him. If not redshirt him since this year is a free one.
Did you really think I was implying if you get a lot of scholarship money you have earned the right to start? And not that we have a lot tied up in a log jam in the middle?

Right now I'm down on this program for the 1st time in 10 yrs. of owning season tickets. Maybe it was getting used to the systematic rise and suddenly that has come to a full stop. Sorry but taking 12th two years in a row sucks balls. I'll be in my seats next year with the 8 other guys and gals I recruited to join in the fun. But at some point winning has to start happening again or the fun will be gone and a reason to show up will become flickering.

Last edited:
  • Sad
I don’t doubt that everyone isn’t trying and working hard but bottom line is you are paid to win. Not saying we need to be Iowa or Penn St but asking to be 5-7 is not a crazy ask. We need to get there next year. Or personally I think you will see a lot of additional piling on and negative momentum. We have great facilities, a hotbed for recruiting, and one of the best atmospheres in wrestling. Landing Griffith would be huge.

From 133 to 157 lol...that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard and there are some real dummies here

WNG ..don’t waste your breath ..these guys obviously don’t have lives when they get this upset over a game ...coaches suck, kids stink ....you name it ...this ain’t Penn State guys ..get over it !

Rumors that tOSU's Decatur couldn't make weight. But tOSU is hoping for him to still get an at large? How? I thought only COVID gave you that option and if he tested positive then he'd miss NCAAs too unless he tested positive in Feb. Maybe a late contact trace?

Why do you constantly come in here with such hostility? It wasn’t even an aggressive question.

To be fair, the idea of bumping a kid who wrestled 126 2 years ago and has been a career 133 lber to 157 to wrestle guys like Deacon cutting from 170 was kind of silly.

Reactions: brentx35
To be fair, the idea of bumping a kid who wrestled 126 2 years ago and has been a career 133 lber to 157 to wrestle guys like Deacon cutting from 170 was kind of silly.
I don’t disagree that it’s not a realistic proposition but there’s like 3 people on this board who come here and insult others as if they’re wrestling gurus. There’s no need for it.

Of course Sammy would have been small, but not as small as you are suggesting(RU would have had to make the decision right when they heard the Kannaird news). Go watch the Alvarez vs. Bryce Andonian(ranked 10th at 149) from November(the weight class was 147.7). Sammy was bigger than Andonian. Sammy will be at 149 next year and would not shock me if in the next few years wrestles 157.

And I would have put a wrestler in at 157, if Angelo/Santos were healthy they would have been my choice.

That's what happens when you hide behind a screen name. Everyone thinks they can coach and wrestle. When we get past this pandemic stop by the APC let's see how you really stand up to the coaches and wrestlers.
I haven't been in the room since last March. I can't wait to train with the kids and watch practice.
Go RU!!!! Future looks great

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT