ADVERTISEMENT

Which one of these programs will have the better ten year stretch ?

Alaska_Dawg

Senior
Jul 6, 2016
IMG_20160719_101955.0.0.jpg

These three claimed national championships in the 1990s, then faced frustrating 2000s. Good coaching hires could mean all three deliver on 2016 hype.

Can Michigan, Tennessee and Washington bring the '90s back to college football all at once?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-tennessee-washington-harbaugh-jones-petersen

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to the title question is: Depends on how long Harbaugh sticks around. It's my opinion that Harbaugh is, by far, the best actual football coach of the group. If he sticks around: Michigan will have the best decade. If he bails, I'd probably go with Washington.

I hate to be the bad guy but is there no Washington rivals forum?
At least Alaska Dawg is posting football content. But it is all so pro-Washingon. I would not dream of going on another team's board and posting a bunch of pro-RU stuff. But have to admire his fandom and wanting to stir it up with our fans. It would be fabulous if RU fans get the last laugh and put the Huskies in the dawg pound on September 3.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
Both Harbaugh and Peterson are great coaches. Michigan recruiting classes will be better but have a tougher route to the playoffs and NC game. Still give Michigan the nod. Both teams will be legit as long as the head coaches remain

The answer to the title question is: Depends on how long Harbaugh sticks around. It's my opinion that Harbaugh is, by far, the best actual football coach of the group. If he sticks around: Michigan will have the best decade. If he bails, I'd probably go with Washington.
H arbaugh may have the biggest reputation but IMO Chris Petersen is as good or even better as a Coach.I wonder if JH would even be known if he had started off at Boise.

H arbaugh may have the biggest reputation but IMO Chris Petersen is as good or even better as a Coach.I wonder if JH would even be known if he had started off at Boise.
Michigan and Tennessee have a recruiting advantage over Washington so they have that going for them. Stability wise I'd have to say Petersen sticks around the longest. Harbaugh started coaching at San Diego St. and went to Stanford soon afterwards. He's never won a college football conference title but he did win the NFC West while coaching the Niners.

And
Michigan and Tennessee have a recruiting advantage over Washington so they have that going for them. Stability wise I'd have to say Petersen sticks around the longest. Harbaugh started coaching at San Diego St. and went to Stanford soon afterwards. He's never won a college football conference title but he did win the NFC West while coaching the Niners:smiley:

Last edited:
Is San Diego (NOT San Diego State) a better program than Boise State?

Peterson is a very good coach. He's not Harbaugh, for better or worse [winking]

Michigan and Tennessee have a recruiting advantage over Washington so they have that going for them. Stability wise I'd have to say Petersen sticks around the longest. Harbaugh started coaching at San Diego St. and went to Stanford soon afterwards. He's never won a college football conference title but he did win the NFC West while coaching the Niners.

He's never stuck around anywhere very long: 3 seasons at the University of San Diego (note: not San Diego St), 4 seasons each at Stanford and with the 49ers, and now 2 at Michigan. If he makes it to 2018, it'll be his longest stint as a head coach.

He's never stuck around anywhere very long: 3 seasons at the University of San Diego (note: not San Diego St), 4 seasons each at Stanford and with the 49ers, and now 2 at Michigan. If he makes it to 2018, it'll be his longest stint as a head coach.
He's making mega bucks at Michigan so I don't see him leaving there anytime soon ... unless he has another one of his meltdowns.

In all fairness, a lot of people said the same thing about Urban. This will be his 5th year at Ohio State, which almost matches his tenure at Florida. I do think it's different when it's your home team.
He's making mega bucks at Michigan so I don't see him leaving there anytime soon ... unless he has another one of his meltdowns.
If he gets Michigan legitimately into the national title picture, someone in the league will come in and offer super mega bucks. He may or may not take it, but the money will be there if he wants it.

He was making the same salary with the 49ers, but that didn't hold him.

It may be different with his alma mater - but enough stories have come out about his personality souring relationships in administrative offices that I still think 10 years is a pipe dream.

He was making the same salary with the 49ers, but that didn't hold him.

It may be different with his alma mater - but enough stories have come out about his personality souring relationships in administrative offices that I still think 10 years is a pipe dream.
Harbaugh is a hot headed wingnut who rubs people the wrong way, but the circumstances at San Francisco were all but impossible with the current owner and GM calling the shots.

Last edited:
Washington depends too much on California recruits and the best will still go to USC and UCLA. Peterson is a great coach though.

Washington depends too much on California recruits and the best will still go to USC and UCLA. Peterson is a great coach though.
Agreed although Washington has the better recruiting class for '17 atm. Petersen is grabbing California kids that USC and UCLA were recruiting heavy.

Michigan is in the B1G East, Washington is next on Rutgers schedule, and Tennessee was just part of the article.
Makes total sense. Southern Gentleman became a real asset to the board for the Arkansas game/series. Alaska_Dawg is more than welcome by me and I'm sure Rutgers will become his B1G team as well. Plus this is an awesome board.

of the 3 _ichigan will have the best record, but they will still be the just a 2nd team behind tOSU.
Washington and Michigan had some pretty good Rose Bowl games vs each other when Don James and Bo Schembechler were coaching. Those two teams met up in the Rose Bowl in the late 70's, twice in 80's and twice in the early 90's during their coaching careers.

Harbaugh has never had even a 5 year stretch, so projecting him to still be at Michigan in 10 years is crazy talk.

He's also never left a coaching job early. You're talking about a guy who grew up not only in Ann Arbor, but with a dad coaching for UM and around the program and on the field for most games as a kid. That sticks with you. So much so that he was instantly committed to play there as well.

He was not going to get offered the Michigan job in 2007 over Rich Rod considering all he had was 3 years at a FCS school. Stanford was willing to take him and he did great. When his contract with Stanford was up and Michigan fired Rodriguez that was the first stirrings of "WE SHOULD GET HARBAUGH". He ended up choosing to coach in the NFL and did that well, too. Then after being forced out by awful management it happened to align with Michigan firing Hoke. All we heard was how Harbaugh isn't leaving the NFL, how he's determined to win a Super Bowl, how his family loves California and will not move to Michigan etc. only to have him in Michigan seemingly enjoying coaching more than ever. Don't forget he actually took LESS money than what Michigan offered to come here so they could pay for good assistant coaches as well. He also could have had any open head coaching job in the country that he wanted college or pro. He's completely revitalized the program and quite frankly the school and has done more in 1 season than Hoke and Rodriguez did in their 7 seasons combined.

"There are no turnarounds at Michigan. This is greatness. Long tradition of it."
"Throughout my life I have dreamed of coaching at the University of Michigan".

His previous stops were opportunities he took. He has not had any sort of connection to any of his previous coaching stops as he does to Michigan. Bo Schembechler meant so much to Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh leaving a legacy at Michigan that can be put up there with the likes of Fielding Yost and Bo is truly something he wants to do. Could he outwear his welcome? Only time will tell. But as long as he's winning people won't care and I think it's "crazy talk" to imply Harbaugh will leave prior to his contract (7 years) or that if he does leave it will be on his own accord. If anything he just can't get it done and leaves/gets fired which I don't see happening.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
He's also never left a coaching job early. You're talking about a guy who grew up not only in Ann Arbor, but with a dad coaching for UM and around the program and on the field for most games as a kid. That sticks with you. So much so that he was instantly committed to play there as well.

He was not going to get offered the Michigan job in 2007 over Rich Rod considering all he had was 3 years at a FCS school. Stanford was willing to take him and he did great. When his contract with Stanford was up and Michigan fired Rodriguez that was the first stirrings of "WE SHOULD GET HARBAUGH". He ended up choosing to coach in the NFL and did that well, too. Then after being forced out by awful management it happened to align with Michigan firing Hoke. All we heard was how Harbaugh isn't leaving the NFL, how he's determined to win a Super Bowl, how his family loves California and will not move to Michigan etc. only to have him in Michigan seemingly enjoying coaching more than ever. Don't forget he actually took LESS money than what Michigan offered to come here so they could pay for good assistant coaches as well. He also could have had any open head coaching job in the country that he wanted college or pro. He's completely revitalized the program and quite frankly the school and has done more in 1 season than Hoke and Rodriguez did in their 7 seasons combined.

"There are no turnarounds at Michigan. This is greatness. Long tradition of it."

His previous stops were opportunities he took. He has not had any sort of connection to any of his previous coaching stops as he does to Michigan. Bo Schembechler meant so much to Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh leaving a legacy at Michigan that can be put up there with the likes of Fielding Yost and Bo is truly something he wants to do. Could he outwear his welcome? Only time will tell. But as long as he's winning people won't care and I think it's "crazy talk" to imply Harbaugh will leave prior to his contract (7 years) or that if he does leave it will be on his own accord. If anything he just can't get it done and leaves/gets fired which I don't see happening.

hqdefault.jpg
Hopefully he doesn't lose his cool when Washington crushes Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

hqdefault.jpg
6KZiaoG.gif

Harbaugh is a talented huckster. His M.O. is to excel ,then either get bored and suffer from wanderlust or he picks a fight with the administration or the media and moves on
.But while he is in Ann Arbor he will get them back near the top
I lived in San Diego when he turned USD into an overnight wonder .
He was a prick but it was a joy to watch what he was able to do.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't get why people think Harbaugh will leave Michigan for the NFL. Does he honestly look or act like a man who belongs in the NFL to you?

It's funny, when you hear NFL coaches talk they typically say how they hated recruiting and kissing up to 17 year olds when they were coaching in college. By all accounts Harbaugh seems to absolutely love it. He absolutely loves running around like a jackass, setting up sleepovers, and bending the rules in every way imaginable to impress high school students who don't know the difference between a showman and an actual adult. He seems much better suited to lead children than full-grown men, and I think he likes it that way. Michigan is as good a college program as it gets, Harbaugh has nowhere left to climb. He, just like Nick Saban, gets to be a man child for the rest of his career, win his trophies, and lead kids who will do whatever he says. He's not built for the NFL, he's built for this.

Unfortunately for us, I don't think he's going anywhere. I think the best we can hope for is he becomes more tolerable over the years, which I wouldn't hold my breath for. He's an egomaniac and that alone has driven him to be a very good coach, but he also acts like a child and comes off as fake. If Ash can become a winner the right way, kids in NJ will eventually see the difference.

Reactions: RUTGERZ_R00LZ
I don't get why people think Harbaugh will leave Michigan for the NFL. Does he honestly look or act like a man who belongs in the NFL to you?

It's funny, when you hear NFL coaches talk they typically say how they hated recruiting and kissing up to 17 year olds when they were coaching in college. By all accounts Harbaugh seems to absolutely love it. He absolutely loves running around like a jackass, setting up sleepovers, and bending the rules in every way imaginable to impress high school students who don't know the difference between a showman and an actual adult. He seems much better suited to lead children than full-grown men, and I think he likes it that way. Michigan is as good a college program as it gets, Harbaugh has nowhere left to climb. He, just like Nick Saban, gets to be a man child for the rest of his career, win his trophies, and lead kids who will do whatever he says. He's not built for the NFL, he's built for this.

Unfortunately for us, I don't think he's going anywhere. I think the best we can hope for is he becomes more tolerable over the years, which I wouldn't hold my breath for. He's an egomaniac and that alone has driven him to be a very good coach, but he also acts like a child and comes off as fake. If Ash can become a winner the right way, kids in NJ will eventually see the difference.
There's a reason Harbaugh has been pulling all those stunts ...it gets him and Michigan in the press which helps in recruiting. Harbaugh wanted to fill up the recruiting pipeline in no time flat so he could start competing with the likes of Ohio St. and Michigan St. as soon as possible and he's done that.

Harbaugh is doing whatever it takes to get those kids to play for UM and he's being paid well for it.

I don't get why people think Harbaugh will leave Michigan for the NFL.

Wishful thinking. I wish I had a dollar for every MSU and OSU fan I've heard say something like "yeah, well just wait till he leaves in 3 years!". Not, "He could coach as long as he wants, we'll kick his ass" etc. It's almost as if they know what is to come and just want to preface it with "enjoy it while it lasts" in hopes that it won't last.

I think if any program has to worry it's the one with a coach that faked heart issues to get out of a job.

Wishful thinking. I wish I had a dollar for every MSU and OSU fan I've heard say something like "yeah, well just wait till he leaves in 3 years!". Not, "He could coach as long as he wants, we'll kick his ass" etc. It's almost as if they know what is to come and just want to preface it with "enjoy it while it lasts" in hopes that it won't last.

I think if any program has to worry it's the one with a coach that faked heart issues to get out of a job.
CU7OOlHUYAAK5Qm.jpg

Reactions: Knight Shift

I don't think Harbaugh's going to jump for more money, or whatever, just that he's going to wear out his welcome. If he can consistently beat OSU and make the CFP, and win a NC or two, he'd be canonized and anything he says or does will be downplayed. If he can't, and turns in a string of 9 and 10 win seasons, with frequent losses to OSU, his act is going to get really tiresome for the administration and fanbase, really quick.

It's going to come down to results... and I'm not talking about W/L ratio, but wins over OSU and appearances in the CFP. If he's not delivering on those two things consistently, he's not making 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT