ADVERTISEMENT

Whitehead Named in FBI docs

Also on ESPN.com. Supposedly got 37K before starting his freshman year. The Hall has plenty of company as the list appears long and includes most of the blue bloods. I would like to be optimistic that this will lead to the clean up that has been long overdue but I would imagine it will also lead to a discussion about the need to share more revenue with the student athletes which I do not support.

This is not good news for SHU at all. It was surprising how Morton arrived so quickly and only stayed one year. It also was shocking how SHU got an outstanding recruiting class of Whitehead, Rodriguez, Delgado & Carrington from out of nowhere. Maybe Antigua's name will come up as well.

Tip of the iceberg in this investigation across college basketball. I'd love to see serious repercussions for many schools to clean up, at least to some extent, the dirty world of college basketball.

There is so much more to come, it seems.

Hall fans seem to be hoping there is a distinction made between payments from a potential agent versus directly from the school. However evidently Tiny's name is noted in the ledger as well. Because so many others involved the focus on SHU won't extend beyond local outlets and the bigger picture will be the need for clean-up because everyone was doing it.

Reactions: RickB113
Ask Kevin Willard if it was worth hiring Morton. Willard would be on the streets or making fraction of what he is now as an assistant if not for this package deal.
He made the deal to benefit his career in the short-term, but now the long-term consequences are kicking in.

Also on ESPN.com. Supposedly got 37K before starting his freshman year. The Hall has plenty of company as the list appears long and includes most of the blue bloods. I would like to be optimistic that this will lead to the clean up that has been long overdue but I would imagine it will also lead to a discussion about the need to share more revenue with the student athletes which I do not support.

This is exactly how I feel and see this playing out as well.

Because its so vast and so many blue blood programs , they will not propose extensive punishment. Instead they'll suggest to pay players (more than the current stipends) because its only fair, and they've been doing the only fair thing all along.

ITS BS! But that's exactly how its going to play out and the ESPN mouths will support it (because they're blue blood alumn)

But if this was just Rutgers, Seton Hall, Oregon State, Arizona St (aka the non-blue bloods) we'd get absolutely hammered by the NCAA !

Do you guys think that anything of significance will become of this? UNC had their athletes going to fake classes and wasn't punished. State Penn harbored a child rapist for 20 + years and got a slap on the wrist. Louisville gets wins removed from 5 years ago (BFD like anyone cares) . Nothing is going to happen. I know some of you will say this is different but I doubt it.

Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton must be very proud. I guess you all missed the 11th commandment, thou are allowed to cheat to win basketball games.

Reactions: SJScarlet
Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
He made the deal to benefit his career in the short-term, but now the long-term consequences are kicking in.
What long-term consequences? I don't think his job is in jeopardy for this. Could some wins be vacated? I suppose but Seton Hall administration allowed this charade of a package deal to go down so they knew exactly what they were getting into when they hired a guy like Morton in the first place. And Morton's not there so "I'm not here to talk about things in the past" kicks in for Willard & Co.

What long-term consequences? I don't think his job is in jeopardy for this. Could some wins be vacated? I suppose but Seton Hall administration allowed this charade of a package deal to go down so they knew exactly what they were getting into when they hired a guy like Morton in the first place. And Morton's not there so "I'm not here to talk about things in the past" kicks in for Willard & Co.
He is a coach running a crooked program and will be on a very short leash (for performance and recruiting).

Exactly my thoughts-----will be basically nothing.

Seton Hall didn't pay the kid------a slimy agent did-----like he probably paid about 50 other guys

He loaned money to a guy who was an Assistant at Seton Hall more than likely to influence the kid to sign with him.

Where's the culpability in that in regards to Seton Hall ?

Beyond Tiny Morton never working in college again not much IMO.

If you think 50-60 programs are going down for this you're dreaming.

If this was such a big package deal where are the payment records to the other guys ?

Reactions: bac2therac
The Willard and Pitino families are tight. Did Minnesota's name come up? If this is basketball only, you can only imagine what goes on with football recruits.

The only difference here is that it is the FBI rather than the NCAA doing the investigation. It really depends how far they want to take it. All I am hearing from the talking heads this morning is that no one is surprised about this and that it has been going on for years. Also hearing that if you think ASM is the only agent making these arrangements you are naive. So what does the FBI want to do here with regard to the scope of the investigation. They already seem to be well beyond the original scope and I think anyone put under oath will think harder about lying to the FBI than the NCAA. This could result in real reform if NCAA and FBI collaborate to some degree. In reality it would require the college presidents to say enough.

if evidence Tiny Morton received cash as an assistant coach or was directly involved in cash flowing to Whitehead, the program gets spanked and Willard is out.

Book Richardson paid cash to recruits and got fired.

Sean Miller is still HC at Arizona.

Hall fans seem to be hoping there is a distinction made between payments from a potential agent versus directly from the school. However evidently Tiny's name is noted in the ledger as well. Because so many others involved the focus on SHU won't extend beyond local outlets and the bigger picture will be the need for clean-up because everyone was doing it.
USC was HAMMERED by the NCAA for Bush accepting things from an agent. They are DONE

Reactions: AD888 and T2Kplus10
Was surprised to see Whitehead and others who took that kind of money from that agent and yet did not sign with his agency. Does that mean another agent paid more?

How do you accept that kind of money and still not sign?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
NCAA will figure out, after considerable conversation with their legal teams, how to make this go away with as little damage as possible. They have options, the biggest is the PSU defense. Remember they backed off the sanctions claiming the Sandusky stuff wasn't really an NCAA violation but a legal/criminal issue. The FBI is conducting this investigation and not the NCAA. They may wash their hands of this and simply claim it is a legal issue and will accept the ruling of the FBI, claiming it is not an NCAA issue. It makes little to no sense to make this claim but I, for one, would not be surprised to see them take this path. They will not do anything that will damage the NCAA tourney because that is a huge cash cow. One or two schools is one thing but a widespread group of blue bloods might be seen as too costly. You can bet your bottom dollar they are already trying to figure out if there is a way they can do nothing, or issue some slap on the wrist penalties ie the vacate wins ruling, and get away with it.

Reactions: bac2therac
Gotta admit I laughed at this one. Gotta love those Seton Hall fans that think NJ.com is in the tank for Rutgers!

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT