ADVERTISEMENT

Whose decision was it to enforce the ban on outside food and drink?

theres aguy 2 rows in front of me, he has 6 season tix for as long as i know, he brings his 4 kids, on the hot day day against howard he had to buy 3 rounds of water to keep them from passing out, 18 bottles of water, shop rite is selling 3 cases of 24 for 9.00. poor guy had to shell out $72.00 or the 18 bottles not to mention the $5.00 dogs , some of assholes here would say too bad but is this a fair way to treat your fans, by the way besides paying for his game tickets and the ouragous parking fees of $50.00 per game he has to pay the seat tax of $1500 if you can afford this then god has blessed you, not everyone can handle this
Actually the water ban went into effect after the Howard game so he could have brought in his own water. I walked in with two bottles n plain sight.

Reactions: ATIOH
these are things that are clearly worse than the game day experience. I still am puzzled over the whole pre game stuff which is a total disaster this year and it goes beyond the horse video. Just who is in charge and whats their reasoning. Overwhelming people are negative toward what they are doing yet no change or no communication as to why the video was axed

On a more serious note, on what do you base your assertion that an overwhelming number of people are negative towards the game day experience? I don't care about the horse video, I'm fine with the players entrance, and I like the new DJ - maybe they've surveyed people and there is no issue other than a few folks on this board who don't seem to like it. Or maybe most people do hate the new stuff. I don't know, but I don't think you know either.

Rutgers should be following Their professional counterparts here.

At Metlife Stadium they DO allow food and water into the stadium as long as it fits I. A gallon zip lock bag.

They people also D. Have to empty their pockets and go thru metal detectors.

Working Metlife Stadium has taught we many things.

One is not as many as you think really bring stiff in. We get a lot of water on hot days, but outside of that maybe 5% of people actually walk in with food.

It IS a customer service thing and Rutgers would he silly to continue to not allow peoplease to bring in food and Sealed water.

What's Sodexho?

Again, doubt it was the security firm Andy Frain, Inc. Remember with non armed security guards (SORA certificate-went for mine in may) one can't even put your hands on someone (perhaps if in self defense). The rule is to contact/defer to law enforcement. Upon entering the stadium it's the police (including chiefs) checking and throwing away water.

Omg this thread is ridiculous ! Just don't go people if it bothers you that much

People already paid for their tickets this year before the changes were announced. They have a right to be upset that they aren't getting what the they thought they were buying.

Reactions: motorb54
People already paid for their tickets this year before the changes were announced. They have a right to be upset that they aren't getting what the they thought they were buying.

Except you weren't paying for the privilege of bringing food and water into the stadium. I'll even bet there's something to that effect written in the small print no one reads.

you dont have to police this thread if it effects posters and they want to discuss, dont read it

You don't have to put your 5 cents into every single thread on the board, either. But you will. Maybe it'll even be in full, meaningful sentences next time.

Except you weren't paying for the privilege of bringing food and water into the stadium. I'll even bet there's something to that effect written in the small print no one reads.

Not true. There's a list of prohibited items in my ticket package. Food and water not on the list

On the back of the ticket: "regulations prohibit bottles, cans, umbrellas, strollers, alchoholic beverages, coolers, noise-making devices, balloons, laser pointers, balls, fireworks, weapons, sticks/poles, containers, pets, and any other items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate from being brought into the faculty." By "bottles" Rutgers has always meant glass bottles. RU is now consideing food and plastic bottles to be dangerous, but that was a mid-season change, and not what was "sold" to us when we paid for our tickets.

Last edited:
And here ya go, straight from RU ticket policy:

"All information subject to change."

That's the type of language I meant.

And here ya go, straight from RU ticket policy:

"All information subject to change."

That's the type of language I meant.

Standard language. But when a service or product provider uses that language to pull an unwarranted bait and switch they generate well-deserved costumer ire.

Standard language. But when a service or product provider uses that language to pull an unwarranted bait and switch they generate well-deserved costumer ire.

Yeah, no sh#t it's standard language and this illustrates why.

Bait and switch? Might want to google that term before throwing it around.

Now that I'm thinking abut it I'm even wondering if the Police/Middlesex County Sheriff's Office received some sort of threat they haven't told the fans about (threats happen all the time). This would give the cops the ability to check bags/check bags closer (BTW as I'm writing this Chicago PD is on and the plot is investigating a shooting originally though as terrorism now plot towards gangs).

Also DO REMEMBER on of the original World Trade center bombers was an ex Rutgers student...

Lots of water bottle/dehydration/lawsuit complaining here but the arguement could be made that there are water fountains around the stadium. Im pretty sure its agaisnt the law to charge for tap water if you really need water that bad and are too cheap to buy bottles. Can't you walk up to ANY consession and ask for a cup of water?,..... or did i just make that up?

Reactions: demauroj
Lots of water bottle/dehydration/lawsuit complaining here but the argument could be made that there are water fountains around the stadium. I'm pretty sure its against the law to charge for tap water if you really need water that bad and are too cheap to buy bottles. Can't you walk up to ANY concession and ask for a cup of water?,..... or did i just make that up?
Not upstairs.

Lots of water bottle/dehydration/lawsuit complaining here but the arguement could be made that there are water fountains around the stadium. Im pretty sure its agaisnt the law to charge for tap water if you really need water that bad and are too cheap to buy bottles. Can't you walk up to ANY consession and ask for a cup of water?,..... or did i just make that up?

1) Short of dehydration I'd NEVER pay $6 for a standard bottle of water. I was taught the value of money.
2) Right now I'm without permanent housing. I receive $6 a DAY for food. After I buy a CASE of water ($2.99-$3.49 per case OF 24), Soda (caffine), milk, juice and a few supplies that leaves me $4 PER DAY for food-and I don't have a freezer, burner or regular oven.

Re cups of water, why wait 15 minutes at a concession stand when there R water fountains in the stadium? Many stores such as Quick Chek charge .50 for a cup of water and ice. Why would Rutgers be willing (except in emergency) to do similar is they get $6 a bottle?

From what I heard Sodexo is hurting big time this year because of smaller crowds and we have to meet a minimal $ number. Put 2 and 2 together.

And guess what... By further Pissing fans off by not allowing sealed water or Twillzers into the HPSS will come to bite RU in the ass. Based on this I am not buying anything stadium ..I was before this new BS policy started.

Ok... they can extend water lines from bathrooms or concessions to an outside wall to make them. Sounds like a fan advisory board suggestion to me.
Which was my exact suggestion to that group and Rutgers over the years.

I'd be fine with just one.

1) Short of dehydration I'd NEVER pay $6 for a standard bottle of water. I was taught the value of money.
2) Right now I'm without permanent housing. I receive $6 a DAY for food. After I buy a CASE of water ($2.99-$3.49 per case OF 24), Soda (caffine), milk, juice and a few supplies that leaves me $4 PER DAY for food-and I don't have a freezer, burner or regular oven.

Re cups of water, why wait 15 minutes at a concession stand when there R water fountains in the stadium? Many stores such as Quick Chek charge .50 for a cup of water and ice. Why would Rutgers be willing (except in emergency) to do similar is they get $6 a bottle?

I think you can charge for ice. I dont think you can charge for tap water...

There is also a $4 bottle option, not just $6.

This is a stadium.... this is what stadiums do. They have crazy prices for food and drinks. All i was saying is there are free water options in the stadium if people want them.

This is a stadium.... this is what stadiums do. They have crazy prices for food and drinks.
I get that. Understand it. And accept it.

My complaint is that is seems (not just the water fountain issue) there is less of everything upstairs.

And by that I don't expect it to be a carbon copy of down below, it can't be. But I do think there could be a little more up top: few more selections in kiosks and the concession stands, one water fountain, fix the elevator on the East side and keep the extra porto-johns at the ends for "B1G" games.

Last edited:

This is a stadium.... this is what stadiums do. They have crazy prices for food and drinks. All i was saying is there are free water options in the stadium if people want them.

Total BS that Professional "for profit" NFL and MLB stadiums like Met Life and Yankee allow Water and Food into their stadiums but a college stadium like HPSS does not !

Reactions: motorb54
Holy crap im just talking about tap water. Im not defending not being able to bring in food or bottle water people...

Personaly, i hate the service at consessions. If i ever want anything ill get it before the game starts and that is it for me the whole game.

On a more serious note, on what do you base your assertion that an overwhelming number of people are negative towards the game day experience? I don't care about the horse video, I'm fine with the players entrance, and I like the new DJ - maybe they've surveyed people and there is no issue other than a few folks on this board who don't seem to like it. Or maybe most people do hate the new stuff. I don't know, but I don't think you know either.

do you hear the lack of excitement when the players come out, the whole pre production is pretty lame. Ive talked to people who go to games and Ive seen alot of post on this board. Its just not about the video but its part of it, its no alma mater too, its very little build up to the team coming out, even the silly fireworks on the field seem a misfire

its a message board, if you want a safe space, I am sure you can find one somewhere

Lol, do I strike you as someone who runs and hides to a safe space because people are talking?

And I agree, it is a message board. Just not bac's message board.

I had that idea in mind when I attempted to bring in an empty water bottle that I had planned to fill up with fountain tap water once inside the stadium. The security officer wouldn't let me bring it in even for that stated reason, yet I was easily able to sneak in a 'prohibited' large snack bar in my pockets.

I'm generally not interested in waiting in long lines to purchase overpriced (and at best mediocre) concession food, and so would normally bring whatever I want/need. Not being able to openly do so anymore detracts from my personal game experience. If these 'new' rules had been in place for the Howard scorcher, less fans may have bothered to show up, and even more of those in the stadium could have collapsed from heat exhaustion while waiting ridiculous amounts of time for sometimes-depleted water supply.

If this continues, I'll just load up more on tailgates and make sneaking things like snacks, flasks etc in an art form. But not everyone will bother to do so; some may just stop showing up or leave even earlier during games.

Don't forget about the sponsor stands in places around the stadium such as the Block R Party that give out freebies such as snacks and reusable water bottles.

At an earlier game this season, I won an entire box of RU-branded Dual Fuel nutrition bars by spinning a wheel and completing a fitness challenge that I brought into the stadium but didn't open until much later. I saw some people with those same boxes at the Michigan game.

Traditionally, at homecoming some alumni groups gave out free food, and I always remembered going into the stadium with candy.

Don't screw the sponsors.

Yes and I now take empty bottles in and fill them up with no wait to date at a fountain. Don't even need to pay $4-$8 for a smaller camping cup (I'm now on $98/month assistance per month excluding food-that now includes car insurance so I better work or hit the lottery soon).

The capacity of this fan base to be whiny bitches is incredible. Availability of water for people who need it is not a problem in any way. You can bring in a camping cup, there are water fountains throughout the stadium, and about 2 million sinks in each bathroom (as was bitched about ad nauseum when they expanded the stadium).

So what people are really upset about is that they cannot bring in their own food, and instead have to either not eat, or buy crappy fried concession food. Big friggin deal. Its a 4 hour game. Its the same story at many major events and entertainment venues. Have an early lunch in the parking lot at 11:30, and worst case scenario, you will need to get maybe a pretzel or a box of candy at the game.

I love some of this bitching.... kids could pass out, old people could die, guy we don't know had to buy 80 bottles of water so he and his kids could survive the howard game, bait and switch, wouldn't have bought tickets if I knew they were gonna ban my wawa subs. Its unreal..

I'd rather be safe. These days, the only thing that annoys me is standing in that giant mob of people at the gate 15 minutes before kickoff because I don't know what the hell is going to happen anymore.

Oh, and neither the school, nor anyone else owes anyone any explanation. They told you it was for your safety. The ticket license lets them change policies for safety reasons. There is substantial evidence supporting that was the real reason. You don't like it, tough.

do you hear the lack of excitement when the players come out, the whole pre production is pretty lame. Ive talked to people who go to games and Ive seen alot of post on this board. Its just not about the video but its part of it, its no alma mater too, its very little build up to the team coming out, even the silly fireworks on the field seem a misfire
Agree 100% about the when the players come out. Just seems boring or not planned. But it is probably the opposite, too planned.

I can gather that Ash wanted the players on the field for the SSB so that probably affected ( effected?, never get that right) the playing of the Alma Mater. But they cannot find a place for it. Should be interesting this week since the Glee Club always sings it on Homecoming.

The video before the players come out is ok. I like the part were they all turn at once, but that is about it. The song has no one excited and I agree the flames are little overboard.

I was hoping that with the new regime we would find an entrance that was really uplifting and stick with it. But , nope and as you know the horse video also has no umpf any more.

Reactions: Leonard23
The capacity of this fan base to be whiny bitches is incredible. Availability of water for people who need it is not a problem in any way. You can bring in a camping cup, there are water fountains throughout the stadium, and about 2 million sinks in each bathroom (as was bitched about ad nauseum when they expanded the stadium).

So what people are really upset about is that they cannot bring in their own food, and instead have to either not eat, or buy crappy fried concession food. Big friggin deal. Its a 4 hour game. Its the same story at many major events and entertainment venues. Have an early lunch in the parking lot at 11:30, and worst case scenario, you will need to get maybe a pretzel or a box of candy at the game.

I love some of this bitching.... kids could pass out, old people could die, guy we don't know had to buy 80 bottles of water so he and his kids could survive the howard game, bait and switch, wouldn't have bought tickets if I knew they were gonna ban my wawa subs. Its unreal..

I'd rather be safe. These days, the only thing that annoys me is standing in that giant mob of people at the gate 15 minutes before kickoff because I don't know what the hell is going to happen anymore.

Oh, and neither the school, nor anyone else owes anyone any explanation. They told you it was for your safety. The ticket license lets them change policies for safety reasons. There is substantial evidence supporting that was the real reason. You don't like it, tough.

Well written. However you are missing the point. Sports fans in this area ( and we have to build a fanbase real soon) have other options at other venues to this Food policy and Parking price gouging . See Met Life, Yankee Stadium, CitiField , etc.

Reactions: Leonard23
Well written. However you are missing the point. Sports fans in this area ( and we have to build a fanbase real soon) have other options at other venues to this Food policy and Parking price gouging . See Met Life, Yankee Stadium, CitiField , etc.

There are tradeoffs on all entertainment choices. You could also go to a park, or a movie. Rutgers and a pro baseball or football game are dissimilar in more ways than concession options. More or less travel, depending where you live. Parking, concessions and ticket prices, are more or less expensive depending on which event you are talking about. Pro sports draw from a different fan pool than college sports. So I would think that fans would weigh all of that and decide whether Rutgers football is right for them.

I suspect people already do this, whether they know it or not. Most people who post here have obviously chosen Rutgers. I also suspect that water bans and Sodexo food (as awful as it is) moves the needle very little on that decision-making process. At the end of the day, people are going to choose based on the event. Lose and be uncompetitive, people will not come. Be competitive and play exciting games, and most people won't care if the only concession option is a $20 soggy hot dog.

Not allowing fans to bring food & water is due to safety issues (sure if Sodexo is the terrorist)? What substantial evidence supports that? Many people are willing to overpay for quality food/drinks/concessions, as evidenced by the amount of people that frequent Starbucks & Shake Shack regularly, & concessions at places like Citi Field, so give us good, quality concessions. Rutgers has an attendance problem & shouldn't be doing more to make it worse. Since MetLife Stadium allows a small amount of food & drink so should HPSS.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Not allowing fans to bring food & water is due to safety issues (sure if Sodexo is the terrorist)? What substantial evidence supports that? Many people are willing to overpay for quality food/drinks/concessions, as evidenced by the amount of people that frequent Starbucks & Shake Shack regularly, & concessions at places like Citi Field, so give us good, quality concessions. Rutgers has an attendance problem & shouldn't be doing more to make it worse. Since MetLife Stadium allows a small amount of food & drink so should HPSS.

I am not going to type it, but it doesnt take a vivid imagination to understand where the safety issues are with bringing in packaged food.

Where is your substantial evidence that Rutgers approach is harming attendance?

Why are Rutgers safety decisions about what they think is appropriate invalid, but those at Metlife valid? What does one have to do with the other? MetLife won't let me in with a pocketknife, but Rutgers doesn't care. Who is right on that issue? Maybe its MetLife who has the problem, and not Rutgers?

Yes and I now take empty bottles in and fill them up with no wait to date at a fountain. Don't even need to pay $4-$8 for a smaller camping cup (I'm now on $98/month assistance per month excluding food-that now includes car insurance so I better work or hit the lottery soon).

See RUsKii's post three above yours
He was prevented from bringing in an empty bottle
Inconsistent application of silly rules pisses people off

Plus I was the OP. I wasn't even hiding my dangerous 1 ounce bag of Planter's peanuts.
It was in my clear R bag. I had received no notice of the change in policy.
The bus I took from College Ave had the old rules posted..."no umbrellas, strollers...etc..."
So when the Rutgers cop told me I couldn't bring it in I said "you're kidding, right?'
and she said "no, you have to throw it out" No garbage can nearby either.

Then a guy near me had at least three 12 ounce beers

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT