ADVERTISEMENT

Why Greg Schiano believes Rutgers QB Gavin Wimsatt is ‘on a good trajectory’

No interceptions (not 0 but way less this year) and no major injuries to the backfield and we may be alright. Somehow we led Big Ten champions Michigan at halftime. If stupid Gleeson ran Sam Brown against Nebraska instead of throwing the picks we win that game and probably go bowling at 5-7. We’re not ready to compete for the B1G but we’re not as far off a bowl as you might think, if we can limit the picks and stay healthy at RB.

I see a lot of 3 and outs and while the offense is sipping Pina Coladas on the sidelines all game long, the defense puts up a valiant, Custers last stand. But the onslaught proves to be too much to overcome as the offensive Cavalry led by General Wimsatt is nowhere to be found. But hey, I got the parking I wanted so it's not all doom and gloom.

Last edited:
I hope we remember that for a running QB to be a legit threat he has to keep the ball and make yards reasonably often. And that will check the pass rush a bit and maybe give him room to throw... as well as help our RBs make yards when he gives it to them.

I was critical of what I saw from Vedral in that regard. He was one tough QB, gutsy, but he seemed to predetermine give or keep on his QB runs and not make actual reads in the RPO . I say this because of how many times I thought he should have headed that off or kept it. There were times, of course, that he guessed right or where he was screwed either way.. blown-up OL for teh handoff with a DE/LB keying on him as well.. but too often, it seemed, he was just guessing.. not reading.

And, of course, being a legit passing threat is needed as well. Otherwise they just play man everywhere and have safeties largely in run support or covering the TE in man.

Execution. It all comes down to "repetition" as GS said. Reliable execution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
I see a lot of 3 and outs and while the offense is sipping Pina Coladas on the sidelines all game long, the defense puts up a valiant, Custers last stand. But the onslaught proves to be too much to overcome as the offensive Calvary led by General Wimsatt is nowhere to be found. But hey, I got the parking I wanted so it's not all doom and gloom.
it’s “cavalry”. your spelling trajectory isn’t promising.

I will change it for our professor of English. Thank you, for proofreading everyone's posts. Your tireless efforts will not go unnoticed by me.
You are welcome. After all, this is a university-centric forum. Intelligence matters here. Were this a wacko conspiracy site where Colbert, BAC and others opine, I'd let it go.

I expect better from this audience.

I'd also let it go if it were Al's usage: too much brain dysfunction to bother.

You are welcome. After all, this is a university-centric forum. Intelligence matters here. Were this a wacko conspiracy site where Colbert, BAC and others opine, I'd let it go.

Lame

Get a hobby aside from Sewercuse Football

I'm not 100% sure but I think someone just tried to insult me. :) :) :)

p.s. This is the one and only message board where I opine.

Reactions: Shelby65
Watch out B1G. Schiano will bring back his 1940’s offense. What did he call the double wing offense he got watching the video he paid $19.95 for?

It had basically 5 plays. But ran the same play 75 percent of the time. Sanu or the other guy was QB.

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
Watch out B1G. Schiano will bring back his 1940’s offense. What did he call the double wing offense he got watching the video he paid $19.95 for?

It had basically 5 plays. But ran the same play 75 percent of the time. Sanu or the other guy was QB.
The wild knight ????
I mean it was better than gleeson’s langan package

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Based on what we’ve seen, it’s unlikely
What we've seen is a kid APPEAR in 12 games in his entire career including his starts where his best running back was injured and did not play. I think we also sometimes forget that he isn't even 20 years old yet and is working with his third OC in three years. I think that he's going to have a good year if he can stay healthy with all of our OL question marks.

Reactions: Plum Street
What we've seen is a kid APPEAR in 12 games in his entire career including his starts where his best running back was injured and did not play. I think we also sometimes forget that he isn't even 20 years old yet and is working with his third OC in three years. I think that he's going to have a good year if he can stay healthy with all of our OL question marks.
If he stays healthy . The odds not in his favor .
Simon and Gavin will both be starting this season

To me, it's not about Wimsatt's talent or potential. It's the stubborn, 1950 punt on 4th and inches from plus territory philosophy that doomed the program on the day he was hired. Why would talented skill guys come here at all and die on the vine ? Word gets around. So instead we get DII transfers and Maine and Sacred Heart post-grad guys.

Very few defensive HCs populate the Top 30 at any given time, and those who do are imaginative and less controlling, or have 95th percentile talent (Saban).

Doesn't matter who the QB is, the philosophy is a cancer.

Last edited:
To me, it's not about Wimsatt's talent or potential. It's the stubborn, 1950 punt on 4th and inches from plus territory philosophy that doomed the program on the day he was hired. Why would talented skill guys come here at all and die on the vine ? Word gets around. So instead we get DII transfers and Maine and Sacred Heart post-grad guys.

Very few defensive HCs populate the Top 30 at any given time, and those who do are imaginative and less controlling, or have 95th percentile talent (Saban).

Doesn't matter who the QB is, the philosophy is a cancer.

You mean the Sacred Heart grad who will be in an NFL camp this summer?

You mean the Sacred Heart grad who will be in an NFL camp this summer?
Not a coincidence that I cited SH. A scant few make it, but this isn’t the transfer talent pool to draw from to compete in the Big10, especially at skill positions.

exactly. Look at Nova for example
That was all big Ralph. Only time we've ever had a real OC. Friedgen made that offense and was a steal for Flood. Too bad Ralph saw that his head coach was a loafer and going to Counting Crows concerts instead of working like everyone else. Best line I ever heard, "Flood liked the idea of being a head coach, just not the work required to be one".

I hope we remember that for a running QB to be a legit threat he has to keep the ball and make yards reasonably often. And that will check the pass rush a bit and maybe give him room to throw... as well as help our RBs make yards when he gives it to them.

I was critical of what I saw from Vedral in that regard. He was one tough QB, gutsy, but he seemed to predetermine give or keep on his QB runs and not make actual reads in the RPO . I say this because of how many times I thought he should have headed that off or kept it. There were times, of course, that he guessed right or where he was screwed either way.. blown-up OL for teh handoff with a DE/LB keying on him as well.. but too often, it seemed, he was just guessing.. not reading.

And, of course, being a legit passing threat is needed as well. Otherwise they just play man everywhere and have safeties largely in run support or covering the TE in man.

Execution. It all comes down to "repetition" as GS said. Reliable execution.
Pretty sure that's by design.

We don't use the O part of RPO. The decision is made in the huddle.
Or by staring at the sideline until the play clock ticks down to 3 seconds. Teams that run the RPO effectively actually teach their players to read what the defense is doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT