ADVERTISEMENT

Why Greg Schiano believes Rutgers QB Gavin Wimsatt is ‘on a good trajectory’

What we've seen is a kid APPEAR in 12 games in his entire career including his starts where his best running back was injured and did not play. I think we also sometimes forget that he isn't even 20 years old yet and is working with his third OC in three years. I think that he's going to have a good year if he can stay healthy with all of our OL question marks.
He is a junior. The age excuse is lame. There are guys getting drafted into the NFL at 20. If he wasn’t physically ready ready to play then they should have never let him enroll much less play as a true freshmen.

They didn’t change systems mid season so the OC change no effect on his performance. The person calling the play only changed not the system. I don’t care how many OC you had 44% completion percentage is terrible as a sophomore and show a major accuracy issue. The person calling the play has zero impact on accuracy.

This is not 1993 where freshmen and sophomores barely play. These days you are true freshmen play and play at a high level even at QB.

Last edited:
He is a junior. The age excuse is lame. There are guys getting drafted into the NFL at 20. If he wasn’t physically ready ready to play then they should have never let him enroll much less play as a true freshmen.

They didn’t change systems mid season so the OC change no effect on his performance. The person calling the play only changed not the system. I don’t care how many OC you had 44% completion percentage is terrible as a sophomore and show a major accuracy issue. The person calling the play has zero impact on accuracy.

This is not 1993 where freshmen and sophomores barely play. These days you are true freshmen play and play at a high level even at QB.
So you think we've seen the best he has to offer??? If so I think you're wrong.
I think RU fans will see a much better QB this year. Just my opinion.

To me, it's not about Wimsatt's talent or potential. It's the stubborn, 1950 punt on 4th and inches from plus territory philosophy that doomed the program on the day he was hired. Why would talented skill guys come here at all and die on the vine ? Word gets around. So instead we get DII transfers and Maine and Sacred Heart post-grad guys.

Very few defensive HCs populate the Top 30 at any given time, and those who do are imaginative and less controlling, or have 95th percentile talent (Saban).

Doesn't matter who the QB is, the philosophy is a cancer.

If he hadn’t gone 4 / 12 and thrown a pick against WAGNER, this argument might have legs. Regardless of what folks think of Schiano, Wimsatt flat out sucked last year. You cannot blame coaching for his performance against a team that’s slightly better than high school level.

Pretty sure that's by design.
Then that is not RPO. What the hell was Gleeson doing? Install an RPO and then not run an RPO? What.. those late signals from the sidelines were guesses as to whether the DE would key on the QB or not? We could have run a regular old offense with bootleg keepers or QB draws and get the advantage of the regular dive handoff for bruisers like Brown.. or quick pitches like Rice used to get. That was nuts... if true.

If he hadn’t gone 4 / 12 and thrown a pick against WAGNER, this argument might have legs. Regardless of what folks think of Schiano, Wimsatt flat out sucked last year. You cannot blame coaching for his performance against a team that’s slightly better than high school level.
Just one game, and mostly because of the predictable philosophy and playcalling. The playbook only has 4 pass plays and only 2 of them had routes past 10 yards.

The philosophy was to punt if not able to move the chains in the ground game. Is why recruiting on that side of the ball is terrible.

Then that is not RPO. What the hell was Gleeson doing? Install an RPO and then not run an RPO? What.. those late signals from the sidelines were guesses as to whether the DE would key on the QB or not? We could have run a regular old offense with bootleg keepers or QB draws and get the advantage of the regular dive handoff for bruisers like Brown.. or quick pitches like Rice used to get. That was nuts... if true.
Shrug.

The P is for punt in Schiano’s system. That’s his goal, avoiding turnovers.

Most probably didn’t know that’s what the P stands for.

• Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
I mean he sort of has to come across positive to get butts in the seats, right? I’d love to see it for real on opening day.

With a healthy Sam Brown we can go to a bowl if Wimsatt can improve himself from bad to average but reliable.

I mean he sort of has to come across positive to get butts in the seats, right? I’d love to see it for real on opening day.

With a healthy Sam Brown we can go to a bowl if Wimsatt can improve himself from bad to average but reliable.
Only if they add 10 bowls between now and December and allow 4 win teams to go. Major talent and depth deficit.

You are out of your element here. First, RU's O-Line has been horrific, second the TE corps has been more horrific. Third, in year 1 Gavin played sparingly when he was 17 years old at the start of the season and recorded all of 21 pass attempts; in year 2, he was injured and limited and continued to play with a severely compromised OL and TE group.

Check your privilege at your keyboard. Our QBs have not had a roster of stud OL, TE and WRs like you get to watch every weekend. Sure, you can trot out "excuses," but these are facts. Your 20 year old narrative comes across as bullshit when you look at the entire history and circumstances for Gavin.

Reactions: colbert17
You are out of your element here. First, RU's O-Line has been horrific, second the TE corps has been more horrific. Third, in year 1 Gavin played sparingly when he was 17 years old at the start of the season and recorded all of 21 pass attempts; in year 2, he was injured and limited and continued to play with a severely compromised OL and TE group.

Check your privilege at your keyboard. Our QBs have not had a roster of stud OL, TE and WRs like you get to watch every weekend. Sure, you can trot out "excuses," but these are facts. Your 20 year old narrative comes across as bullshit when you look at the entire history and circumstances for Gavin.
Neither do many other QBs in the country. Like I said if he wasn’t ready at 17 why did they play him or let him enroll early.

I am not looking at it compared to Penn State. His completion percentage would have been last place in all of the ncaa. You can’t say that all those schools had stud ol, te and wr.

Ugh, any time Schiano says things like "He’s got to keep building it. There’s no magic pill that it happens. He’s just got to do it, day-in-and-day-out, and get better" it means "don't expect too much."

Nova was nothing to crow about.

His last year was pretty good and I’m sure most would love to have him now
I think Nova is a good example of a QB performing significantly better with a legit OC.

Daniel Jones is another.

Not sure if we actually have that at RU, but certainly Wimsatt would benefit from an upgrade at OC.

Conversely Nova had some great games early in his career. Haven't seen much from Wimsatt yet.

Reactions: rurichdog
I think Nova is a good example of a QB performing significantly better with a legit OC.

Daniel Jones is another.

Not sure if we actually have that at RU, but certainly Wimsatt would benefit from an upgrade at OC.

Conversely Nova had some great games early in his career. Haven't seen much from Wimsatt yet.
Nova took a beating too and kept getting back up

Reactions: RU-05
Neither Gavin nor Simon have proved themselves as of yet but IMHO I believe that Gavin has a greater upside.
Looking forward to what he can do over a full, healthy season.
That being said and the B1G 10 being what it is we will see Simon somewhere along the way

No interceptions (not 0 but way less this year) and no major injuries to the backfield and we may be alright. Somehow we led Big Ten champions Michigan at halftime. If stupid Gleeson ran Sam Brown against Nebraska instead of throwing the picks we win that game and probably go bowling at 5-7. We’re not ready to compete for the B1G but we’re not as far off a bowl as you might think, if we can limit the picks and stay healthy at RB.
Gleeson deserved to be fired for Nebraska . That playcalling was mind boggling

Gleeson deserved to be fired for Nebraska . That playcalling was mind boggling

100% this.

Yet the Anti-Schiano fan club (Shelby and company) keep focusing on the losing being about Schiano’s conservative style play. That game is not a loss if the ball is simply kept on the ground. The tone of the rest of the season would’ve been completely different with that win.

That’s not to say we’re where we need to be or even close to it. But we’re not that far off from being a fringe bowl team if we could find game manager level QB play from either Evan or Gavin. That’s where we are at IMO.

100% this.

Yet the Anti-Schiano fan club (Shelby and company) keep focusing on the losing being about Schiano’s conservative style play. That game is not a loss if the ball is simply kept on the ground. The tone of the rest of the season would’ve been completely different with that win.

That’s not to say we’re where we need to be or even close to it. But we’re not that far off from being a fringe bowl team if we could find game manager level QB play from either Evan or Gavin. That’s where we are at IMO.
We had seats behind the bench for that one . My group was screaming at gleeson to give the ball to 27. Obnoxiously loud.
I know he heard us ! I think he was trying to prove us wrong. So I take blame for that loss !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT