ADVERTISEMENT

Why we don't play any exhibtion games anymore prior to beginning of season?

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
I recall us back 10-20 years ago playing exhibition games vs teams like Athletes in Action etc?

Why did we stop playing exhibition games? We can always play a Div 2 or Div 3 school as well -prior to the season - rather than on 12/30 vs Caldwell.

Can't recall but were the recent CCNY and Baruch games actual meaningful games for standings?

Seton Hall is playing 1-2 exhibition games this year and I just saw Kentucky on tv draw 20,000 fans for an exhibition game.

Besides the risk of injury, why have we stopped the exhibition games?

P.S I get "games" were played in Spain but that was several months ago.

Thanks.

Phil, let’s hope our early OOC games are like exhibitions.

I remember an exhibition game in the late 70s (1978?) against a Soviet National team, where Jammin James dunked over their giant center (he was well over 7 ft tall) and brought the house down, at the RAC if I’m not mistaken.

A team can play exhibition games now or closed scrimmages. We played 2 closed scrimmages against Towson and Yale. I don't think teams are allower to play any national teams or teams like Athletes In Action any more. I remember when we played the Greek National team the Soviet tean and had a tie game with China when China did not want to play overtime.

I recall us back 10-20 years ago playing exhibition games vs teams like Athletes in Action etc?

Why did we stop playing exhibition games? We can always play a Div 2 or Div 3 school as well -prior to the season - rather than on 12/30 vs Caldwell.

Can't recall but were the recent CCNY and Baruch games actual meaningful games for standings?

Seton Hall is playing 1-2 exhibition games this year and I just saw Kentucky on tv draw 20,000 fans for an exhibition game.

Besides the risk of injury, why have we stopped the exhibition games?

P.S I get "games" were played in Spain but that was several months ago.

Thanks.
I remember somebody named Curt Smith from Marathon Oil charbroiling multiple RU defenders to the tune of 44 points.

Reactions: bowlgoal
A team can play exhibition games now or closed scrimmages. We played 2 closed scrimmages against Towson and Yale. I don't think teams are allower to play any national teams or teams like Athletes In Action any more. I remember when we played the Greek National team the Soviet tean and had a tie game with China when China did not want to play overtime.

NU played Wichita St in a closed scrimmage as well as another team and also played an exhibition last Wednesday.

NU played Wichita St in a closed scrimmage as well as another team and also played an exhibition last Wednesday.
Nope. Just WSU and Doane. Teams can only play two exhibitions and a closed scrimmage counts as one of the two. If Nebraska has played two closed scrimmages they could not have played the Doane game.

The only exception is if there is a charity game approved by the NCAA that is open to the public. Nebraska did not play one of those.

As I remember, there was an issue with some compensation uconn and calhoun gave a visiting team, who had a connection to a recruit, so the old way was banned.

Too bad. The d2/3 games can be awful and we cant watch the others.

I remember an exhibition game in the late 70s (1978?) against a Soviet National team, where Jammin James dunked over their giant center (he was well over 7 ft tall) and brought the house down, at the RAC if I’m not mistaken.

Correct ...this was the very first game at the RAC....Rutgers v The USSR. The Soviet national team. I have a game program. Place was almost sold out.

The next year ...we played the People’s Republic of Chinese National team at Madison Square Garden...and the game ended in a tie!

Reactions: BillyC80
I know the politically correct will have a fit, but I remember when we played Greece, there were quite a few fans of theirs. After one particular basket, they got pretty loud. A guy not far from me yells out , “ I guess every diner in New Jersey is closed tonight. “ People cracked up, including the folks rooting for Greece.

That dunk ...the photo turned into a hand drawn picture that was the cover of eastern basketball later that year

That dunk ...the photo turned into a hand drawn picture that was the cover of eastern basketball later that year
Would love to see that. Glad to know there’s a photo of it. We jumped out of our seats with high fives all around.

As I remember, there was an issue with some compensation uconn and calhoun gave a visiting team, who had a connection to a recruit, so the old way was banned.

Too bad. The d2/3 games can be awful and we cant watch the others.
The travel team Rudy Gay played on was paid $25k to play an exhibition game against Connecticut.

Correct ...this was the very first game at the RAC....Rutgers v The USSR. The Soviet national team. I have a game program. Place was almost sold out.

The next year ...we played the People’s Republic of Chinese National team at Madison Square Garden...and the game ended in a tie!

74834761_10218336368293654_803187510309027840_o.jpg

We always thought we would beat all of those teams and many times we did. I do recall a few where we got killed against a few foreign teams.

Also remember out last NCAA team in 1990-91 played some Russian team in preseason and we got our doors blown off. The Russians had like 5 guys named Sergei on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT