ADVERTISEMENT

Why we will win some games

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
After watching the EMU game again, I can see that we will beat some teams. The stretch plays were there, and we just barely missed them. If Rutgers can hit a couple of those we can win some games against good teams. Shake this loss off and see how the season unfolds.

After watching the EMU game again, I can see that we will beat some teams. The stretch plays were there, and we just barely missed them. If Rutgers can hit a couple of those we can win some games against good teams. Shake this loss off and see how the season unfolds.[/QUOTE

This year? Who in the B1G are we going to beat? Maybe we get lucky once but I think that may be a stretch.

Reactions: drewbagel423
After watching the EMU game again, I can see that we will beat some teams. The stretch plays were there, and we just barely missed them. If Rutgers can hit a couple of those we can win some games against good teams. Shake this loss off and see how the season unfolds.
Love the optimization but have you seen our schedule? We are a FCS team playing a B1G schedule.

Reactions: MV9000
I think we will be in position to win a couple of games. Whether we actually do or not is an entirely separate question.

But if Illinois is on the schedule, there is hope.

Kids didn't quit. Harris and Bolin didn't have to run that kid down. D had no reason to think they hold them. No reason to think we block the FG or drive down the field. Kids that don't quit on their team or coach will have a chance.

After Morgan St things look grim considering RU already lost its best OL and will soon be up against the big and violent B1G teams. Indiana looked good vs OSU. Illinois is 2-0. Purdue is decent. Might have trouble with two wins. Three would probably a miracle. I'm hoping to avoid the 70-3 games more than hoping for more wins. The wins aren't there

Reactions: noble106
Let's wait and see how things look after a few weeks.
Exactly. After playing decently against Washington, then playing horribly against EMU, I'm not sure where we're at.

I don't think it would hurt for our fan base to dial down it's bipolarity in response to single game results and gather a few more games data before rendering verdicts on the season.

I will say, though, that we know we're not very deep and losing Cole hurts a lot. Injuries were always going to be problematic for us this season.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
So we just missed on a couple of plays defended by EMU players that were cleary overlooked by every P5 school in the nation, but we will make these plays against the rest of our schedule (after Morgan St...i pray)?

After Morgan St things look grim considering RU already lost its best OL and will soon be up against the big and violent B1G teams. Indiana looked good vs OSU. Illinois is 2-0. Purdue is decent. Might have trouble with two wins. Three would probably a miracle. I'm hoping to avoid the 70-3 games more than hoping for more wins. The wins aren't there
Well the experts predicted 2 maybe 3 wins this season.

Purdue is more than decent. They look solid.
Let's not get overzealous on our opponents. Purdue hung with a Louisville team that did everything in their power to give the game away.
Ohio is not Ohio State.
That said, our biggest issue is lack of offense.
Still want to see how we do against Nebraska as a measuring stick for if we are really bad or we just had a bad game.

I'm not writing RU off yet, but it is absolutely critical that this team stays healthy, as there is very little depth at almost every position. The loss of Cole is a big blow. RU cannot afford any others if they hope to get a win against the second-tier teams of the Big 10.

Morgan State lost 10-0 and 26-0 so far. If we don't win this one big and get Lewis in the game for a bit I'll be VERY disappointed.....

if a starter on a thin line when it comes to depth is out with a broken foot,and you cant out physical a MAC team which lost 38 straight games to B10 teams prior.. several more wins?dont think so.

Let's not get overzealous on our opponents. Purdue hung with a Louisville team that did everything in their power to give the game away.
Ohio is not Ohio State.
That said, our biggest issue is lack of offense.
Still want to see how we do against Nebraska as a measuring stick for if we are really bad or we just had a bad game.
I watched both Purdue games. They have big run stoppers in the middle and the LBs are very active. They did exactly what every Purdue fan asked for. Hang with Louisville and beat a MAC team. We can't say the same thing. As of now Purdue is a tough game for RU.

Kids didn't quit. Harris and Bolin didn't have to run that kid down. D had no reason to think they hold them. No reason to think we block the FG or drive down the field. Kids that don't quit on their team or coach will have a chance.

i had the same thought. this team plays till the final gun.

I watched both Purdue games. They have big run stoppers in the middle and the LBs are very active. They did exactly what every Purdue fan asked for. Hang with Louisville and beat a MAC team. We can't say the same thing. As of now Purdue is a tough game for RU.
I don't think I disagree. IIRC, one of their LBs is a monster. And they have a solid QB in Blough. They are definitely showing better than many thought.

From the "talent" perspective, here are their Rivals recruiting rankings in the B1G with RU in parentheses
2017 - 14 (9)
2016 - 13 (14)
2015 - 14 (10)
2016 - 13 (10)

Not sure what to make of that, as once you are out of the elite tier (top 1/4 or 1/3), does not seem to be a lot of separation. Development and coaching is most important.

Morgan State has averaged 54 yds. rushing and 178 yds. passing in their first two games against Towson and U of Albany. They have failed to resgister a point in those two games. We shall see....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT