Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
If we can beat the Gophers it will:
- get us to 15 wins with 6 games remaining
-get us to .500 in the conference
-get a needed quad 2 win
- put us squarely on the bubble for the first time this year
-avenge the lead blowing loss of 2023 ( when James Battle hit the three at the buzzer). That loss likely kept us out of the tournament last year

A loss would realistically end any hope of a run to get us into the tournament.

-get a needed quad 2 win
-avenge the lead blowing loss of 2023 ( when James Battle hit the three at the buzzer). That loss likely kept us out of the tournament last year

It would almost require a win at purdue

Reactions: gregkoko and RAC93
GIF by Bounce

-get a needed quad 2 win

A loss to Minnesota makes it a lot harder, means they would then have to beat Nebraska and Wisconsin (not likely to beat Purdue) on the road to make up for losing to Minnesota. A loss hurts and makes it harder, but with the way they are playing defense and with how JWill looks I wouldn’t count them out, even with a Minnesota loss, but for sure the math becomes a lot tougher with a loss on Sunday.

Every game is the biggest game when we have very little margin for error. It is what it is

^ this ^

Other than Purdue on the road, I think every game is just as important . Some even more so - like homes games and those against the basement dwellers

Reactions: rutgers1998
Or lose to Purdue and then have to beat Wisconsin and Nebraska on the road. A Purdue win goes a long way though, almost like getting two road wins with one win, it has huge value.
Not sure if we lose at minny and at purdue where we would be if we ran the table

^ this ^

Other than Purdue on the road, I think every game is just as important . Some even more so - like homes games and those against the basement dwellers
Well, you would need to get to 19 wins before the BiG tournament. Losing on Sunday would leave you with 14 wins with 6 to go. Doubtful that we’d go 5-1 with round games at Purdue, Wisky and Nebraska.

Reactions: RAC93
6-1 we're in. 5-2 we need help unless one of the five is at Purdue... but maybe even then.

Reactions: gregkoko
Not sure if we lose at minny and at purdue where we would be if we ran the table
In the tourney, we would be 19-12, with wins over Wisconsin twice, Northwestern, Seton Hall, Nebraska twice (all possible at large teams, these wins matter against at large tourney teams), possible 8-11 record in Q1/Q2, plus RU looks like a real team with a new addition to the roster whereas last year they looked terrible with a lost player from the roster (this would work in their favor this year). I think they get in if they get to 19-12, however they get there to 19 wins does not matter, just if they hit that number I think they’re in. Obviously a Purdue win helps a lot more than other wins, but get to 19 wins and they should feel good about their chances.

It’s crazy how little margin is left. We basically entered do or die basketball a month early due to a horrible start
Really wish we had Williams back for that Penn State game. We were playing poorly but didn't have any Q3 losses until then.

We're 3-8 Q1, 3-1 Q2, 2-1 Q3.

Flip that Penn State loss to a win and our profile nearly matches Butler who is on the 11 line with this resume:

4-8 Q1, 3-1 Q2, 2-0 Q3.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Every game from here on out is the biggest game of the year until we punch a ticket.

A win vs. Minnesota doesn’t put us squarely on the bubble but it gets us closer.
Yup. Nobody's going to put us in brackets until:

1. We win at Minnesota and Purdue OR

2. We win at Minnesota, get the home wins against Maryland/Michigan, then win at Nebraska. Then we'd have to evaluate the bubble picture and see if we can survive a loss at Wisconsin.

It’s crazy how little margin is left. We basically entered do or die basketball a month early due to a horrible start
I don’t disagree with you about the do or die aspect, but Pike’s teams and this team thus far seem to thrive on do or die. The reality is they sat at 10-10 and the season was dead. They needed to go 9-2 at that point, which seemed crazy and not worth talking about. They get brought back to life with JWill joining the squad, and that 9-2 needed record has been knocked down to needing a 5-2 record with 4 straight wins, two of them against tourney teams. They can pull off 5-2 based upon the defense they’re playing and JWill providing his leadership on the floor. Not saying they will do it, but it is doable based upon what we’ve seen in the past 4 games.

its a big game yet not a must win...it would still only be a Q2 loss

RU needs to go 5-2...they can still do that by beating Nebby and Wisc and Mich and Mary

the thing is though its the far easiest of the other 3 so it RU would do themselves well to win that one

Every game from here on out is the biggest game of the year until we punch a ticket.

A win vs. Minnesota doesn’t put us squarely on the bubble but it gets us closer.
well it depends what your bubble consists of. Rutgers isnt in the last 4 in first four out or even first 6 out but the7 definitely have moved into the first 10 out list so IMO we are a bubble team now

well it depends what your bubble consists of. Rutgers isnt in the last 4 in first four out or even first 6 out but the7 definitely have moved into the first 10 out list so IMO we are a bubble team now

I would have thought we would be closer to 15-20 out right now but if we’re within about 10 we’re closer than I thought at this point.

My definition of a bubble team would within at least 7-8 spots.

we arent in the first 8 out but in the next grouping of 4-5 teams....and no one would or should put us in the field so we are not close in that way

however now up to 6-9 in Q1/2 with 4 wins vs teams projected in field if you include SHU. I would take wins over Wisky/Nebby over Minny in some ways

the issue is we have only 3 more games left vs tourney teams and all on road.

And two of those 3 wins would become less “signature” for resume purposes just by virtue of them losing to us at home.

I’m now thinking the magic number for us may be 20 on selection day though regardless. We didn’t just add a “piece”. Our new addition leads the team in both points and assists. He’s second in rebounds and blocks. Even 10-4 would be tough to ignore - that path would likely include a recent neutral win over one of the top teams on national TV in round 3 of the BIg tourney. Yeah - I know the committee hasn’t valued tourney wins that much but we’re in a unique situation with Jeremiah. At least I think? How could it not after what they said last year?

We just need to keep winning. Find a way for none of this to matter.

Reactions: Scangg
I see this as one of the bigger games remaining. Clearly all games matter now as there is no margin for error but here is a team that we are similar to in terms of B1G record and we currently have momentum. It would create some real excitement for the Purdue game and give us a boost in the NET. Allows for a loss elsewhere in the schedule(ie Nebraska or Whisky on the road).

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
its a big game yet not a must win...it would still only be a Q2 loss

RU needs to go 5-2...they can still do that by beating Nebby and Wisc and Mich and Mary

the thing is though its the far easiest of the other 3 so it RU would do themselves well to win that one
If they can’t beat Minnesota then how would you expect them to beat Wisconsin on the road? It’s flawed thinking.

Throwing out Quad 4 games...

Minnesota from November 6 through January 15th: 27.7% from three (eight games)

Minnesota from January 16 through yesterday: 39.4% from three (seven games)

• Sad
Reactions: Scangg
Just the fact that we’re talking about a possible path to the big dance is incredible to me.

We were left for dead after the loss to PSU.

Now, we’re one of the hottest teams around and capable of beating anyone.

Getting to 11-9 would be a dream. Let’s do it.

Reactions: RUDave_01
Just the fact that we’re talking about a possible path to the big dance is incredible to me.

We were left for dead after the loss to PSU.

Now, we’re one of the hottest teams around and capable of beating anyone.

Getting to 11-9 would be a dream. Let’s do it.
There was a thread very early in the season, possibly after Stonehill, when people asked if we'd get any B1G wins this year.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
1. if we cant beat an average Minnesota team on the road especially after what they did to us last year then we don't deserve to be in the tournament.

2. if we lose it takes the wind out of our sails and most likely lose to Purdue, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

3. Rutgers being rutgers, we are going to trip up once against Maryland, Michigan or ohio state.

This is a must win.

Reactions: RUMAGA

Well said. As I thought it was tye Wisconsin game...hen the Northwestrn game!

If they can’t beat Minnesota then how would you expect them to beat Wisconsin on the road? It’s flawed thinking.
I agree with him. If we can't beat the Gophers then the NCAA dream is over for all intents and purposes. We're not a team that would be clutch enough to get to the tournament by going 5-1 against the rest of the schedule- if we can't beat Minny.

so yeah, biggest game- if we win there is a realistic path. If we lose, get ready for the NIT.

If we win, I expect Lunardi's Bracketology (updated every Tues and Friday) would have us as the Last 4 In or the First 4 out next Tuesday.

A win @Minnesota would take some pressure off this team and give them a half second to breathe. It makes the Purdue game less stressful bc they know there is a realistic path without it. That would hopefully have the team feeling loose and confident with a nothing to lose everything to gain mentality

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT