ADVERTISEMENT

Will RU fans storm the field if we defeat Washington ?

Will rutgers fans storm the field if we defeat Washington ?

• Total voters
2014 win against Mich…Are you really sure it was only students…hmmm
Just watched the video and it looks like my memory of it being just the student section emptying out wasn't totally correct. At first it was just the corners adjacent to the student section that people were coming from, but a couple minutes later you see some people coming over from the other end too. Nothing like 06/07 though, but I still don't see this as something worth arguing over.

Reactions: SpankySuxNUTS
Overwhelming landslide that we won’t storm if we win

Well most responders actually did what you hoped to avoid (which was probably inevitable). Consensus is mostly we shouldn’t do it, it’s not worth it, would be embarrassing if we did, etc.

There is one indirect thing you may have accomplished though with this thread Plum. Had you not started this discussion - if the student section didn’t go certifiably ape sh-t - there’s no doubt in my mind there would have been boat loads of posts expressing disappointment with the atmosphere (storm aside - that’s just what our fans do - complain). Perhaps now that won’t happen if we win - to prove a point of sorts or whatever. I’d be quite happy for the usual crowd disappointment strings to be substituted with a bump of this thread “see - told you guys this one was just a business as usual game” shout out. I just want to win.

10 signature wins in no order

1. 2006 against UL
  2. 2006 KSU first ever bowl win
  3. 2005 getting bowl eligible for the first time in decades
  4. 2005 against USF
  5. 1992 VT Halloween game
  6. 1979 UT what's a Rutgers
  7. 2004 against MSU
  8. 2014 first B1G win against Mich
  9. 2008 routed ranked Pitt on the road after a 2-5 start
  10. 1988 beat a ranked PSU on the road
  11. Bonus 2012 against Arkansas
  12. Bonus #2 2009 Tim Brown shocks UConn
1992 Homecoming game. And they did storm the field.

By the way, since the start of college football in 1869, that is still the only "walk-off" touchdown for Rutgers in its history.

Reactions: robcac26
Well most responders actually did what you hoped to avoid (which was probably inevitable). Consensus is mostly we shouldn’t do it, it’s not worth it, would be embarrassing if we did, etc.

There is one indirect thing you may have accomplished though with this thread Plum. Had you not started this discussion - if the student section didn’t go certifiably ape sh-t - there’s no doubt in my mind there would have been boat loads of posts expressing disappointment with the atmosphere (storm aside - that’s just what our fans do - complain). Perhaps now that won’t happen if we win - to prove a point of sorts or whatever. I’d be quite happy for the usual crowd disappointment strings to be substituted with a bump of this thread “see - told you guys this one was just a business as usual game” shout out. I just want to win.
Once again, it’s not if we win it’s how we win

Reactions: yesrutgers01
1992 Homecoming game. And they did storm the field.

The lists of our biggest wins kind of explain the failure of the Star Ledger guys to identify them (well Brian and Pat at least) - Steve is an old timer. Games played in the 90s were before my time of following RU football as well. Regardless - it’s clearly been a long time since we’ve recorded a big, meaningful win in football.

I understand the sentiment of others - I’m obviously in the minority in that the only thing that could “embarrass” me would be if the team fails to show up tonight. For this reason - I wouldn’t find anything pathetic, embarrassing or the like about any fan reaction to any outcome that results in us having a 4-0 record going into the weekend.

The team and the band gather near the stands after the game and sing the alma mater. Instead of worrying whether to run onto the field or not, how about joining them en masse and raise your voices. Much better visual for the program.

The lists of our biggest wins kind of explain the failure of the Star Ledger guys to identify them (well Brian and Pat at least) - Steve is an old timer. Games played in the 90s were before my time of following RU football as well. Regardless - it’s clearly been a long time since we’ve recorded a big, meaningful win in football.

I understand the sentiment of others - I’m obviously in the minority in that the only thing that could “embarrass” me would be if the team fails to show up tonight. For this reason - I wouldn’t find anything pathetic, embarrassing or the like about any fan reaction to any outcome that results in us having a 4-0 record going into the weekend.
There is a big..... actually gigantic difference between liking the win a lot and storming the field. You still don't understand the difference.

Anyway, I was at that game. Back then a simple 6-5 wasn't getting the Big East into an at large bid. We had 5 wins with that victory, 3 games remaining. It was huge! Rutgers lost a 26-24 heartbreaker to Cincinnati the next week. Won the last two but no bowl at 7-4

A win of any type tonight wouldn't come close to that game but Rutgers fans will love the win.

Last edited:
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
The team and the band gather near the stands after the game and sing the alma mater. Instead of worrying whether to run onto the field or not, how about joining them en masse and raise your voices. Much better visual for the program.
we win the game on a last possession game- dosn't matter what we think.

regardless- lets get the win!!!!!!!!

There is a big..... actually gigantic difference between liking the win a lot and storming the field. You still don't understand the difference.

Anyway, I was at that game. Back then a simple 6-5 wasn't getting the Big East into an at large bid. We had 5 wins with that victory, 3 games remaining. It was huge! Rutgers lost a 26-24 heartbreaker to Cincinnati the next week. Won the last two but no bowl at 7-4

A win of any type tonight wouldn't come close to that game but Rutgers fans will love the win.

I’d personally much rather have to deal with fans complain about a storm being embarrassing than see complaints that our crowd wasn’t enthused enough. As I said - perhaps Plum succeeded in setting the bar for some balance in this regard should we win. Nobody should be unhappy about anything at 4-0 in my book. Just do it!

I’d have said the same thing about the storm after the 2014 victory over 2-3 Michigan. In reflection - in that case, it actually is pretty sad for that win to have been such a big deal for us. Michigan wasn’t even medicrocre that year. And they only went 7-6 the prior season. At least Washington is 3-1 and the defending national runners up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT