ADVERTISEMENT

Will we go after kicks?

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
I loved that our special teams led the nation in blocks. Hope this becomes a point of importance again.

Reactions: scripts
I think that some of the blocking schemes for punt teams have changed over the years making punts harder to block. However Greg always made a commitment to putting speed out on punt block even if guys were starters. Lots of DBs, RBs, WRs typically out there. I say we reestablish our identity as a punt block football team.

I think that some of the blocking schemes for punt teams have changed over the years making punts harder to block. However Greg always made a commitment to putting speed out on punt block even if guys were starters. Lots of DBs, RBs, WRs typically out there. I say we reestablish our identity as a punt block football team.

Each set has weaknesses and has ways to exploit them. Takes a lot of specific coaching for that unit though. Some teams are not willing to spend the time to prepare for that. When I was a STC luckily I was granted a lot of time to focus on those. We had a lot of success blocking field goals and punts.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Special teams closes the gap in talent. If I remember correctly, Schiano had no problem using starters on specials,in fact many of them asked to be on them.

Like all things football, it will be situational. Does the Wisconsin transfer return punts? If so, I’d think you’d want the ball in his hands from time to time.

It isn’t the scheme’s that changed much, it’s the rules in what the blocking team can/can’t do. Everything now is about straight verticality and not being allowed to jump over anyone. The number of blocks went way down when they took away the defenders right to go up and over the blockers right in front of the kicker. You can land on them if you jump, you have to go straight up and you lose all you momentum doing that. Plus(as you said with scheme) now teams have 3 blockers back instead of one protector so coming around the edge is that much harder as well. Just isn’t as easy as it used to be.

Rutgers has the best special teams maybe in the country under GS. Many games were won based on ST’s play. IMO it’s part of the game that’s over looked in today’s game with the wide open offenses. Several years ago LSU had a punter that literally was the MVP of that team.

If opponents know we are now trying to block kicks, they might employ trick strategies like below. We need to be very careful.
sport-kicker-kicking-national_football_league-american_football_league-field_goals-smb090925_low.jpg

Some good points in this thread already about rule changes and scheme issues. One thing in the favor of going for more blocks that I didn't see mentioned is the risk adverse way that Ash coached. He coached like he had the athletes and overwhelming talent advantage that a school like OSU enjoys that we don't. When you have those advantages you can be a bit more conservative and just let the players out athlete the other guy. However we needed then and will need for the foreseeable future to take more risks to even out games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT