ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw Robinson destroy Angelo of Bergen Catholic 5-1 to win Beast of East. Kid is real deal. We got a good one!
Just watched that match on flo. Really dominant performance for Robinson despite only ending 5-1. He was in complete control from start to finish. Impressive movement on his feet.

I just saw Robinson destroy Angelo of Bergen Catholic 5-1 to win Beast of East. Kid is real deal. We got a good one!
The Blair fax machine doesn't have us on speed dial. Hope we can start a new tradition here. Thanks for update. $$$$

Robinson is going to be a highly ranked national wrestler once he becomes a senior. Read in a interview that he's trying to help recruit other elite wrestlers to join Rutgers including his blair teammate, Julian Ramirez, who just knocked off the #2(Carr) and #3(Griffith) ranked wrestler in his weight class to win his own Beast of the East title.

at what weight is he projected to wrestle when he gets to RU?
When he was a 126 pounder last year he was projected to be 133 or 141 once he reached college depending on his growth.. he's wrestling 138 now in his junior year so I think he can be anywhere from 41-57 once he gets to RU.

If I had to guess based on the eye test I'd say he'll be at 141 or 149. He's only a junior, but he looked like a slightly undersized 138. At least compared to Angelo he looked a little smaller.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
The Blair fax machine doesn't have us on speed dial. Hope we can start a new tradition here. Thanks for update. $$$$
It seems like the biggest obstacle when it comes to recruiting Blair is that a lot of those kids tend to lean toward elite academics. Rutgers is a fine school, but you can't blame a kid for wanting to go to Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, etc.

Robinson is going to be a highly ranked national wrestler once he becomes a senior. Read in a interview that he's trying to help recruit other elite wrestlers to join Rutgers including his blair teammate, Julian Ramirez, who just knocked off the #2(Carr) and #3(Griffith) ranked wrestler in his weight class to win his own Beast of the East title.

In the same interview he talked about another buddy, Theorius Robison, a sophomore from Colorado. Theorius is currently ranked 7th at 120 pounds by FLO but just won the Reno Tournament this past weekend at 132 pounds. I am still unsure whether Julian and Theorius are possibilities since they are both from outside NJ and there have been numerous posts in the past regarding just how difficult it is to acquire out of state talent with the way RU's 9.9 scholarships are based solely on in-state tuition (although Malcolm Robinson verbally committed and he is considered to be out-of-state). Maybe by the time these two sophomores finish high school, the RU policy will change in the favor of kids coming from other states.

In the same interview he talked about another buddy, Theorius Robison, a sophomore from Colorado. Theorius is currently ranked 7th at 120 pounds by FLO but just won the Reno Tournament this past weekend at 132 pounds. I am still unsure whether Julian and Theorius are possibilities since they are both from outside NJ and there have been numerous posts in the past regarding just how difficult it is to acquire out of state talent with the way RU's 9.9 scholarships are based solely on in-state tuition (although Malcolm Robinson verbally committed and he is considered to be out-of-state). Maybe by the time these two sophomores finish high school, the RU policy will change in the favor of kids coming from other states.

Maybe Malcolm Robinson will have established NJ residency by the time he finishes Blair.
EDIT- just found out Robinson IS a NJ resident. His family lives in NJ and his dad attended RU.

Last edited:
Until he is signed I will have my fingers crossed. Makes me nervous when these kids have a few years left and will only climb the rankings even higher then they are now. Witch will get the attention of all the. If time schools.

Until he is signed I will have my fingers crossed. Makes me nervous when these kids have a few years left and will only climb the rankings even higher then they are now. Witch will get the attention of all the. If time schools.
This reminds me of Iowa's Josh Dzeiwa.. He originally committed to Rutgers. Then jumped ships to Iowa after he won a major tourney, which our staff helped prepare him to win. So much for loyalty.. glad he never beat a Rutgers wrestler or became a All American.

This reminds me of Iowa's Josh Dzeiwa.. He originally committed to Rutgers. Then jumped ships to Iowa after he won a major tourney, which our staff helped prepare him to win. So much for loyalty.. glad he never beat a Rutgers wrestler or became a All American.

Things are different for Rutgers Wrestling recruiting now. Rutgers has much better facilities on the way, great coaching and they should have a very good wrestling team next year.

Last edited:
Things are different now. Rutgers has much better facilities, great coaching and they should have a very good wrestling team next year.

RU wrestlers still practice in the old Barn on College Ave, probably the worst Wrestlng room in D1. Not sure when the new facility will be built and ready. Ashnault and others may be gone by then. It is still a challenge for the staff to overcome in recruiting I would think. Great staff though.

RU wrestlers still practice in the old Barn on College Ave, probably the worst Wrestlng room in D1. Not sure when the new facility will be built and ready. Ashnault and others may be gone by then. It is still a challenge for the staff to overcome in recruiting I would think. Great staff though.
When during the week do they normally practice? Is it open to the public? Thanks. $$$$

I think Robinson's dad went to Rutgers so I'm optimistic that he'll sign once the time comes. If we can get two more kids at his caliber for his class, we'd be in real good shape.

Did you see the video of the speech Goodale gave at the holiday basketball tournament that was posted here? He told this story and it was pretty funny how he described it going down. Its in the "Rutgers is fortunate to have Goodale" thread. His speech is a bit on the long side, but I really enjoyed listening to it.

Except we are sure when the practice facility is going to be completed. It is scheduled to be completed July 2019. So for an '18 commit, the new facility will be used for all but his freshman year (at worst).

Edited my post to try and make what I was trying to say more clear.

Why on earth does it take 31+ months for it to be ready? I was expecting July 2018, at the latest.

I agree. I think it is baked in for this to be done ahead of schedule, but what the hell do I know.

EDIT: In looking at some more articles, it seems they have said it will be done "During the 19-19 season" so that would make July the absolute end date, but the actual completion date may be significantly sooner.

I have said all along I expect it to be done Fall 2018, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Did you see the video of the speech Goodale gave at the holiday basketball tournament that was posted here? He told this story and it was pretty funny how he described it going down. Its in the "Rutgers is fortunate to have Goodale" thread. His speech is a bit on the long side, but I really enjoyed listening to it.

Yea, I saw that video, great speech, and it was great to finally hear it from the coach's perspective. I vividly remember when Dziewa first committed because I was so hyped "yes finally a elite prospect out of state!" I was even more happy after he won the junior nationals. I thought "he's going to be a good one!" Then when I read intermat's headline that he decommited to Rutgers and is now going to Iowa I was so piiiiiisssssseeeedd!! Thankfully, I have a good feeling on Malcolm Robinson. Strong family ties and buying into the program; he's going to make a impact.

For what it's worth, Flo did a post BOE interview with Robinson and Zach Sherman of Blair. Both guys mentioned their college commitments toward the end, Sherman to UNC and Robinson to Rutgers.

Its not even close to the worst room in D1, how many D1 rooms have you seen?

RU commit Stephan Glasgow at the prestigious Powerade Tourny in Penn tomorrow. :

152lbs

"Get ready wrestling fans, this weight class is going to be wild! The top seed is two-time PIAA state champion Cameron Coy (Penn Trafford). Coy was victorious last year in winning the 152-pound weight class over Mekhi Lewis (Bound Brook, N.J.), one of the favorites at 160lbs, 7-1. This week, he could win his second title by once again defeating a New Jersey wrestler in the finals.

An all New Jersey matchup could occur in the semifinals between the two and three seeds in state champions Stephan Glasgow (Bound Brook) and Shane Griffith (Bergen Catholic). Glasgow has yet to compete this season, while Griffith was the Beast of the East runner-up earlier this month.

Keep an eye on Bailey Thomas (Good Counsel, MD) who is having a great year so far, by placing at the tough Walsh Jesuit Ironman and the Beast of the East tournament."

PS- not sure what this writer is saying, as Glasgow HAS wrestled, twice earlier this week at the Southern (NJ) duals.

http://news.theopenmat.com/high-school-wrestling/60827/60827

Last edited:
Can we pull a 285 pounder out of the bunch? I'm getting concerned. Was just watching a video of Intermat #7 Levi Seabolt from Georgia pinning Nick Rivera. Hopefully, we are looking everywhere. $$$$

RU commit Stephen Glasgow had a great Powerade Tourny, barely missing being champion by 1 point in a tie breaker vs the top seed and #2 national Cameron Coy. Glasgow is #5 Nationally.

PS- here is the wrestling schedule for free BTN TV .

Dec. 4 Lehigh at Penn State 12 p.m.
Dec. 8 Missouri at Ohio State 7 p.m.
Dec. 11 Rutgers at Maryland 12 p.m.
Dec. 30 Midlands 8 p.m.
Jan. 6 Iowa at Michigan 7 p.m.
Jan. 8 Rutgers at Ohio State 12 p.m.

Jan. 13 Rutgers at Penn State 7 p.m.
Jan. 15 Michigan at Nebraska 2:15 p.m.
Jan. 20 Penn State at Iowa 9 p.m.
Jan. 22 Michigan at Northwestern 3 p.m.
Jan. 27 Ohio State at Iowa 8 p.m.
Jan. 29 Rutgers at Michigan State 2 p.m.
Feb. 3 Penn State at Ohio State 6 p.m
Feb. 5 Iowa at Minnesota 12 p.m.
Feb. 10 Wisconsin at Purdue 6 p.m.
Feb. 12 Indiana at Illinois 4 p.m.

Last edited:
No love from BTN for matches at the RAC? Very surprising considering it has become one of the most intimidating venues in all of college wrestling.

Reactions: ruready07
Is it legal? Is it not legal? That's all that it comes down to. I've watched enough Iowa matches to know that there's a lot of dirty-ish legal stuff that goes on.

Ash gotta chill wit the head club when the period is over. terao did a hard cross face on gilman and didn't get penalized. Ash's club on Meredith looked identical to jacks but one he got penalized and other he didn't. So I guess the ref just calls it when they want to

Ash gotta chill wit the head club when the period is over. terao did a hard cross face on gilman and didn't get penalized. Ash's club on Meredith looked identical to jacks but one he got penalized and other he didn't. So I guess the ref just calls it when they want to

Neither ref called it. The NC St coach demanded /challenged for replay review for the officials to take another look. After the review they called the 1 point penalty which ended th match.

Neither ref called it. The NC St coach demanded /challenged for replay review for the officials to take another look. After the review they called the 1 point penalty which ended th match.
Right, pretty b.s.; I get Ash trying get in their head psychologically but not worth putting yourself in a spot to get penalized; there are other ways to win the psych edge.

Right, pretty b.s.; I get Ash trying get in their head psychologically but not worth putting yourself in a spot to get penalized; there are other ways to win the psych edge.
I agree with your post but in my opinion refs should only be allowed to review points not penalties. Kinda like the NFL!! Keep the reviews and coaches out of it as much as possible.

Reactions: Leonard23
I agree with your post but in my opinion refs should only be allowed to review points not penalties. Kinda like the NFL!! Keep the reviews and coaches out of it as much as possible.

College wrestling refs review penalties all the time. Penalties usually result in points. Mostly inappropriate use of clasped hands, as well as riding the legs too long.

Not sure what the answer is , but you see more and more of this, especially in big duals and tournys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT