ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's never enough. First it is we are not fully funded for out of state scholarships then it is we lack facilities. Now it is the RTC. When the facilities are complete we will be in the best conference playing one of the best schedules in the country with one of the best home atmospheres in the country with some of the best facilities in the country. I'm sorry I love the wrestling program but that should be enough to be a top 10 program. Sell your advantages. There are plenty.

Having said all that I am not saying I think we shouldn't try and match the RTC programs of other schools.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Don't stress the how when it comes to NS. He is not giving up a year so it must be possible or he wouldn't have been on campus. I am going to guess hardship waiver and they need Cael to agree and sign off on it.

What would a release from PSU accomplish? Maybe I misunderstand the rules, but I think Nick needs a waiver from the Big Ten to get around the rule that will cause him to lose a competition year. Otherwise if he came to RU he would only have 3 years to wrestle 2.

I just don't understand why the B1G has transfer restrictions in place that could force a student athlete to have to transfer Out Of Conference to retain eligibility.

Such restrictions are only hurting the B1G and their student athletes.

It's never enough. First it is we are not fully funded for out of state scholarships then it is we lack facilities. Now it is the RTC. When the facilities are complete we will be in the best conference playing one of the best schedules in the country with one of the best home atmospheres in the country with some of the best facilities in the country.

I'm sorry I love the wrestling program but that should be enough to be a top 10 program. Sell your advantages. There are plenty.

Having said all that I am not saying I think we shouldn't try and match the RTC programs of other schools.

Rick, this is college sports, you are right it is never enough and that is kinda of the point. People need to invest in the program and their alma mater.

If not financially, then do it with time and help get the people in a position to help financially on board. Our peers also have "the best schedule in the country" so a good wrestler can go to Michigan or Minnesota and day the same thing.

Top Wrestlers want national championships and have Olympic aspirations. Currently we cannot provide the same advantages other top programs can mostly due to monitary constraints, amd it can hurt us. They will go to places that provide that quailty compitition and training year round

NCAA Wrestling season is October thru March technically ,but Out of season they seek Practice partners at local wrestling clubs like SKWC and RTC'S in the off season and personal drive is what makes these guys champions and Olympic hopefuls, and yes this can make a major difference in recruiting long term if we don't keep pace. We saw this this week.

Year round training with top notch club coaches and club resident athletes to wrestle in the off season matters more than you realize. And having 10 world class athletes at Iowa's RTC would certainly weigh heavily in my decision if I was a Top 10 athlete.

I have been able to figure out thru some reading of message boards in various places that The cost of resident Athletes have increased dramatically in the past couple years and the people on this board can help make the difference.

Get in the pin pool, make a donation, join the SKWC as a paid member, go to or sponsor something at the golf outing. Not a golfer, come to the lunch.

Don't have any extra money to provide, then reach out and offer to invest your personal time to help the SKWC get where it needs to be. Maybe help the SKWC get out there on social media to gain interest.
There are plenty of ways to get us to the promise land.

Reactions: plcoolg
It's never enough. First it is we are not fully funded for out of state scholarships then it is we lack facilities. Now it is the RTC. When the facilities are complete we will be in the best conference playing one of the best schedules in the country with one of the best home atmospheres in the country with some of the best facilities in the country. I'm sorry I love the wrestling program but that should be enough to be a top 10 program. Sell your advantages. There are plenty.

yes that is what you have to do. you spend to match the competition and then keep spending to keep up and fend off other programs that also want to get in the top ten.

it never ends until people stop caring about the sport.

how else did you think it worked?

Reactions: DUForever
I just don't understand why the B1G has transfer restrictions in place that could force a student athlete to have to transfer Out Of Conference to retain eligibility.

agreed. I don't like the rule. all it does is set the coaches up to look like jerks if they have a kid that wants to transfer and they try to enforce the rule.

coaches and admins can change jobs whenever they want. why are we punishing student athletes that want the same options? if its about scholarship money then let the schools figure out the finances out, but leave the kids out of it.

Well said Demauroj. We have raised a lot of money for this program and my post was just to let you all know our needs and where we stand. If you can't contribute see if your friends can. That was my message.

This program has done a great job in a short period of time against huge odds by overcoming the things that you point out. The reality of college athletics is that investment ($$$$) equals success. Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant because it is a fact of life.

Rick, this is college sports, you are right it is never enough and that is kinda of the point. People need to invest in the program and their alma mater.

If not financially, then do it with time and help get the people in a position to help financially on board. Our peers also have "the best schedule in the country" so a good wrestler can go to Michigan or Minnesota and day the same thing.

Top Wrestlers want national championships and have Olympic aspirations. Currently we cannot provide the same advantages other top programs can mostly due to monitary constraints, amd it can hurt us. They will go to places that provide that quailty compitition and training year round

NCAA Wrestling season is October thru March technically ,but Out of season they seek Practice partners at local wrestling clubs like SKWC and RTC'S in the off season and personal drive is what makes these guys champions and Olympic hopefuls, and yes this can make a major difference in recruiting long term if we don't keep pace. We saw this this week.

Year round training with top notch club coaches and club resident athletes to wrestle in the off season matters more than you realize. And having 10 world class athletes at Iowa's RTC would certainly weigh heavily in my decision if I was a Top 10 athlete.

I have been able to figure out thru some reading of message boards in various places that The cost of resident Athletes have increased dramatically in the past couple years and the people on this board can help make the difference.

Get in the pin pool, make a donation, join the SKWC as a paid member, go to or sponsor something at the golf outing. Not a golfer, come to the lunch.

Don't have any extra money to provide, then reach out and offer to invest your personal time to help the SKWC get where it needs to be. Maybe help the SKWC get out there on social media to gain interest.
There are plenty of ways to get us to the promise land.
If anyone wants to support the SKWC either financially or as a volunteer please contact us at skwcmembership@gmail.com.. Don't think that a $25 tax deductible donation does not make a difference. With the size of our fan base those contributions add up to a serious amount of funds. Wrestling is unique among college sports with the role that clubs play. Don't underestimate the importance of the SKWC to Rutgers wrestling. If you have questions use the above email address to ask them. Rumor has it that the Lehigh club has over 1,000 dues paying members @$25 a pop. It adds up.

Well said Demauroj. We have raised a lot of money for this program and my post was just to let you all know our needs and where we stand. If you can't contribute see if your friends can. That was my message.
Penn State fan but appreciate your efforts just as I do with what Iowa fans are doing on their board. I love this sport. The stronger your team is the better for all fans of this sport.

I believe the intent of the rule is to prevent more successful programs from raiding less successful programs within the conference. Let's say Cael Sanderson sees Ashnault doing well at Rutgers and decides he wants him at PSU because he can make the Penn State program better. So he tries to turn Ashnault's head and succeeds. The B1G wants to discourage that possibility.

Cortez at Penn State transferred from Illinois and forfeited a year so it's not preventing intraB1G transfers. You know when you enter a B1G program that if things change and you want to transfer to another B1G program that you will lose a year of eligibility. It just becomes part of the decision making process. I think the B1G rule makes sense and as long as you know the rule coming in there is no harm to the student athlete.

I believe the intent of the rule is to prevent more successful programs from raiding less successful programs within the conference. Let's say Cael Sanderson sees Ashnault doing well at Rutgers and decides he wants him at PSU because he can make the Penn State program better. So he tries to turn Ashnault's head and succeeds. The B1G wants to discourage that possibility.

Cortez at Penn State transferred from Illinois and forfeited a year so it's not preventing intraB1G transfers. You know when you enter a B1G program that if things change and you want to transfer to another B1G program that you will lose a year of eligibility. It just becomes part of the decision making process. I think the B1G rule makes sense and as long as you know the rule coming in there is no harm to the student athlete.

I believe that if a student athlete wants to get out of his or her current situation, they deserve all of the options available to them throughout the country.

What difference does it make if Tom Ryan at Ohio State accepts a Penn State wrestler in a transfer or Rob Koll at Cornell offering an Ivy League education accepts a Penn State wrestler in a transfer ?

All the internal B1G transfer restrictions accomplish is to place B1G athletics at a disadvantage once a student athlete decides to transfer and limit the options that a B1G student athlete has when doing so.

Recruiting student athletes from other schools is prohibited everywhere until initial contact is established by a representative of a student athlete or the student athlete themselves.

Reactions: demauroj
All the internal B1G transfer restrictions accomplish is to place B1G athletics at a disadvantage once a student athlete decides to transfer and limit the options that a B1G student athlete has when doing so.

And, to me, that's ok as long as the student athlete knows the rule coming in. I don't think it *really* is having a serious impact on the B1G or its student athletes, btw.

And, to me, that's ok as long as the student athlete knows the rule coming in. I don't think it *really* is having a serious impact on the B1G or its student athletes, btw.

Student athletes aren't thinking about their potential of transferring when they initially decide to sign a letter of intent to their school of choice. But, many things can change after that initial signature and D1 transfers seem to be occurring more frequently than ever before.

Whether the impact of these additional B1G transfer restrictions for transfers within conference have been serious or slight to date isn't the issue. The issue is that the restrictions aren't good for B1G schools and athletes and they are becoming more and more of a problem each year as the number of D1 transfers keeps increasing.

Last edited:
Student athletes aren't thinking about their potential of transferring when they initially decide to sign a letter of intent to their school of choice. But, many things can change after that initial signature and D1 transfers seem to be occurring more frequently than ever before.

Whether the impact of these additional B1G transfer restrictions for transfers within conference have been serious or slight to date isn't the issue. The issue is that the restrictions aren't good for B1G schools and athletes and they are becoming more and more of a problem each year as the number of D1 transfers keeps increasing.

If they aren't thinking, they should be. These are serious $$ being tossed around. It's not playtime, it's for real.

The release may come but the NCAA would have to waive the mandatory sit year which can't be used with a RS. There are certain scenarios in which the NCAA has done this but with very good cause such as coach terminated or admin problem. I can't see that happening in this case considering CS still wants him.

The release may come but the NCAA would have to waive the mandatory sit year which can't be used with a RS. There are certain scenarios in which the NCAA has done this but with very good cause such as coach terminated or admin problem. I can't see that happening in this case considering CS still wants him.
That's not accurate. The 1 year sit rule is a B1G penalty, not NCAA. The NCAA allows a 1 time transfer exception to be immediately eligible. Also, we have no idea of the circumstances or what the B1G would do. Just let it play out.

That's not accurate. The 1 year sit rule is a B1G penalty, not NCAA. The NCAA allows a 1 time transfer exception to be immediately eligible. Also, we have no idea of the circumstances or what the B1G would do. Just let it play out.

This!!!!!.

At this point it is no secret that there is interest on his side to transfer, and both fan bases realize that at this point. There is however several hoops that apparently need to be jumped thru to make it possible.

None of us really know the circumstances or what their stance is on why the year should be waived. Be patient and let it play out. We should hopefully know something in the next 4-6 weeks is my thinking. Of course I am also Speculating and know just as much as most people on here.

Reactions: Leonard23

Leonard, the NCAA allows a 1 time transfer exception to be immediately eligible ONLY if Penn State grants him his release.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
Leonard, the NCAA allows a 1 time transfer exception to be immediately eligible ONLY if Penn State grants him his release.

No the 2 are mutually exclusive.

The NCAA Rule is a one time Transfer. If NS was released and transferred to Stanford he would be eligible immediately and have 4 to Wrestle 3.

Since he is transferring within the Conference the Big Ten has a separate limitation which calls for the Loss of a year of Eligibility.

Here is my take on this ( my opinion only):

Penn State Granting his Release would be in Penn State's Best Interest to allow a, what appears to be, disgruntled Student Athlete to move on. Most schools have this take as the Cons of Blocking a kid certainly outweigh the Pros.

Blocking him could have a negative impact on recruiting for them, as well as the room as he is a high profile athlete.

The NCAA Rule is a one time Transfer. If NS was released and transferred to Stanford he would be eligible immediately and have 4 to Wrestle 3.

Since he is transferring within the Conference the Big Ten has a separate limitation which calls for the Loss of a year of Eligibility.

Penn State Granting his Release would be in Penn State's Best Interest to allow a, what appears to be, disgruntled Student Athlete to move on. Most schools have this take as the Cons of Blocking a kid certainly outweigh the Pros.

Blocking him could have a negative impact on recruiting for them, as well as the room as he is a high profile athlete.

I agree and I think PSU would grant a release, however, sometimes coaches get pissed and stubborn and do not. The word is Edinboro is not releasing Lugo. Lugo has a redshirt to use, but he cannot accept any scholly money next season at Iowa.

That being said, how would Scott react if Ash wanted to transfer to Penn State and wrestle right away? How would he react if Richie wanted to transfer to Iowa this year and wrestle right away? How would Scott react if Gravina wanted to be immediately eligible to wrestle right away at Ohio State?

I am assuming we released Paetzal which is similar to Suriano. I know Suriano is better but Partzal was a big recruit for us. I would hope if he wanted to go to a Big Ten school we still would have granted he release.

Reactions: PSUPOWER

demauroj and Leonard are correct. There are multiple hoops that need to be jumped through for Suriano to transfer to transfer and not lose a year. One involves the NCAA which requires a PSU release. This usually is not an issue, but there have been many cases where releases were coaches dictated what teams they wouldn't release to (usually to someone on their upcoming schedule). There is also the B1G hoop which has been jumped through on rare occasions for undergrads but it is very unclear what criteria the B1G would consider and if PSU has any role in this at all.

That being said, how would Scott react if Ash wanted to transfer to Penn State and wrestle right away? How would he react if Richie wanted to transfer to Iowa this year and wrestle right away? How would Scott react if Gravina wanted to be immediately eligible to wrestle right away at Ohio State?

Similar to how Scott would react if Ash wanted to transfer to Lehigh, Princeton or Rider, which are not B1G schools.

Last edited:
Slightly different. We held a scholarship for the kid for a year while he trained somewhere else if I remember correctly. So wasted a ship year and got nothing. Suriano wrestled there for a year and they got that. There is nothing owed or lost in this situation.

Hall lost a year of eligibility because Goody didn't grant him a release is my point.
I'm not so sure that is accurate.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...receives-fourth-year-of-eligibility/84670780/

Hall initially signed with Rutgers as a high school senior but never enrolled in school. The four-time Florida state high school champion opted instead to move to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

During his two-year stint there, Hall competed in events that, at the time, were outside the World and Olympic Team qualifying structure, according to Jackson. As a result, he was initially stripped of his first year of collegiate eligibility.

“USA Wrestling kind of tightening up their structure and their flow chart for how guys qualify for the Olympic Trials helped Earl’s case and Earl’s case probably helped them structure their system a little better so no other kids are caught in the same situation Earl was caught in,” Jackson said.

Slightly different. We held a scholarship for the kid for a year while he trained somewhere else if I remember correctly. So wasted a ship year and got nothing. Suriano wrestled there for a year and they got that. There is nothing owed or lost in this situation.

While I agree it is different, RU did not "hold" scholarship money for Hall. Once he said he was not coming and did not enroll, RU is free to divide that scholly money up to whoever they want to.

Reactions: dicemen99
BIG just does not want coaches trying to poach other BIG players. Been a rule for many years. Make your decision carefully.

I think this rule made more sense a long time ago. The premise for the rule seems to be that big coaches would come into "regular" contact with athletes, and you did not want coaches getting in a kid's ear while they were on campus. The thought process is archaic in today's world of social media recruiting.

As the PSU guy said, all it does now is put the B1G at a disadvantage. If Suriano wants out, why force him to Lehigh? Let him go where he pleases. In the age of social media, every coaching staff in the country can put feelers out to kids, and the kids can do the same. Transfers have been picking up for the same reasons.

Saying kids should be careful is just silly. Unless the parents are very involved, or the kid is getting good advice form a handler, the process is the wild west, and kids make terrible decisions all the time. Asking a 17 year old to make a sound decision based on his future prospects is a bridge too far. It is impossible to get a teenager to think like that. They choose schools based on their naive impressions over any kind of quantifiable benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT