ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Recruits

Gonna bump this. Our recruiting needs to improve a lot. We have 1 semi contributor from the 2015 class and 2016 has 2. Can't miss on entire classes and be successful.

182 Jackson Turley, St Christopher, Va, is in the Escape the Rock Tourney in Pa this weekend. He has advanced to the Semi finals. Intermat has Turley ranked 6th in country at this weight, in the other side of the bracket, is #4
Gerrit Nijenhuis Canon-McMillan, Pa. Semi finals are 10 am tomorrow on Flowrestling.

Turley will be enrolling for this fall semester. I'm guessing he will be 184 in College.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
182 Jackson Turley, St Christopher, Va, is in the Escape the Rock Tourney in Pa this weekend. He has advanced to the Semi finals. Intermat has Turley ranked 6th in country at this weight, in the other side of the bracket, is #4
Gerrit Nijenhuis Canon-McMillan, Pa. Semi finals are 10 am tomorrow on Flowrestling.

Turley will be enrolling for this fall semester. I'm guessing he will be 184 in College.
Isn’t Janzer projected as the future 184 pounder?

Yes. But a team needs depth at all weight classes. Just look at 165 here this year. I'm sure Turley will Red Shirt, and Janzer starts at 184. Unless one of them grows into a 197 or Hurley cuts to 174 (doubtful), but the team needs depth at all weights. The only incoming freshman I see with a chance of starting could be JoJo Aragona , if he can beat out the others at 141.

Another big need for this 2019 class is 285. Colucci has 1 more year of eligibility, and the jury is still out on Lightner, if he can be a quality 285. 285 is a tough weight to recruit as there are so few quality seniors in HS out there. The highest ranked uncommitted senior is Kawaun DeBoe ranked 11, from Erie Prep. I have no idea if he's good enough to wrestle 285 in the Big 10. Or if RU is looking for at a transfer, but that weight needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

Yes. But a team needs depth at all weight classes. Just look at 165 here this year. I'm sure Turley will Red Shirt, and Janzer starts at 184. Unless one of them grows into a 197 or Hurley cuts to 174 (doubtful), but the team needs depth at all weights. The only incoming freshman I see with a chance of starting could be JoJo Aragona , if he can beat out the others at 141.

Another big need for this 2019 class is 285. Colucci has 1 more year of eligibility, and the jury is still out on Lightner, if he can be a quality 285. 285 is a tough weight to recruit as there are so few quality seniors in HS out there. The highest ranked uncommitted senior is Kawaun DeBoe ranked 11, from Erie Prep. I have no idea if he's good enough to wrestle 285 in the Big 10. Or if RU is looking for at a transfer, but that weight needs to be addressed.

I watched one of Turley's matches the other night and the announcer said that Turley said he would wrestle at 174 when he got to Rutgers

Btw for anyone who doesn't know, he beat the #1 ranked kid in the nation in his weight class this year...kid is definitely legit

We are courting have Nicholas Villarreal no12 who was here for a visit recently.He is Aguilar's high school teammate.

Gonna bump this up to discuss recruiting...
I think the recruiting strategy needs to change. Need to start bundling money into maybe 3 top kids a year. Depth is always a concern for anyone outside the top 5 so not a huge concern there. That's how the sport works with a 9.9 scholarship equivalency restriction and NCAA/tournament scoring. You don't need a complete team. Just get those multiple AA's, bundle the money into those few kids.

Reactions: ANewRU and RU23
We are courting have Nicholas Villarreal no12 who was here for a visit recently.He is Aguilar's high school teammate.

Villareal is only a junior now. RU should be looking at a senior like DeBoe or a transfer.

Villareal is only a junior now. RU should be looking at a senior like DeBoe or a transfer.

A transfer would be better- a wrestler with one or two years of college wrestling under that their belt for next season.

I think DeBoe will be playing football in college.

I think the recruiting strategy needs to change. Need to start bundling money into maybe 3 top kids a year. Depth is always a concern for anyone outside the top 5 so not a huge concern there. That's how the sport works with a 9.9 scholarship equivalency restriction and NCAA/tournament scoring. You don't need a complete team. Just get those multiple AA's, bundle the money into those few kids.
Totally agree.

Are you familiar with current policy? I would guess we might be doing something like that right now. $$$$

We have to be careful not to transition to that strategy too soon. You first need to build a strong enough developmental foundation that allows you to still be able to pull solid guys without a lot of scholly money. Once you have that (we’re probably two more seasons away from that) , then you can unload on some blue chip guys every once in a while and threaten for national relevance.

A guy like Joseph Hatcher in Piscataway, QB of the football team, ranked 4th in the state. Region champ....

Is he a kid you’d say “hey, come see what you can do when you wrestle year round” and invite as a walk on?

What are the typical acollades of depth guys?

A guy like Joseph Hatcher in Piscataway, QB of the football team, ranked 4th in the state. Region champ....

Is he a kid you’d say “hey, come see what you can do when you wrestle year round” and invite as a walk on?

What are the typical acollades of depth guys?

Yes, there is limited risk is bringing in a competitor like Joe Hatcher in as a walk on. Joe has somewhat underperformed in AC his first three years, but will hit the podium this year and is a tough kid.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
We have to be careful not to transition to that strategy too soon. You first need to build a strong enough developmental foundation that allows you to still be able to pull solid guys without a lot of scholly money. Once you have that (we’re probably two more seasons away from that) , then you can unload on some blue chip guys every once in a while and threaten for national relevance.
Definitely see your point.

Are you familiar with current policy? I would guess we might be doing something like that right now. $$$$
We've taken some large classes in the past and that's what's on the mat now.. But you're right, they could be now implementing this policy currently, as we seem to be taking smaller classes.

Reactions: Leonard23
RU also has Robert Kanniard, Wall HS coming in this fall. He is currently ranked 6th in the country at 160 by Intermat, 11 by Flo. Intermat projects him as a 174, but I'm not sure how they came up with that projection.

A recruiting strategy that I’d like to see us undertake is to shrink down our team size and not take too many Heavys and 197s. Condense the team size and develop intensely from 125-184. You can still bring in guys for 197-hvwt but not spend nearly as much on scholly money.

RU also has Robert Kanniard, Wall HS coming in this fall. He is currently ranked 6th in the country at 160 by Intermat, 11 by Flo. Intermat projects him as a 174, but I'm not sure how they came up with that projection.

I can see Kanniard at 165 for one or two seasons then moving up to 174.He might be bigger than we think, as he started the season at 170 before descending down to 160.

He could be wrestling right away next season if Glasgow presumably moves down to 157.

A recruiting strategy that I’d like to see us undertake is to shrink down our team size and not take too many Heavys and 197s. Condense the team size and develop intensely from 125-184. You can still bring in guys for 197-hvwt but not spend nearly as much on scholly money.

How much money are we really spending on our current 197-HWT? I don't think we are spending a whole lot now.

Gonna bump this. Our recruiting needs to improve a lot. We have 1 semi contributor from the 2015 class and 2016 has 2. Can't miss on entire classes and be successful.
Add the 2017 class as a complete miss too:

125 - Shane Metzler (3x NJ placer) - contributes but not much
125 - Nick Denora (8th at NJ States) - nonfactor
125 - Luke Ecklof - nonfactor
133 - Robert Cleary (3rd at NJ States) - transferred to Rider
149 - Nick Santos (2x NJ placer) - may be a contributor
HWT - Alex Esposito (7th at NJ States) - nonfactor

That's 3 in a row: 2017, 2016, and 2015. We need a lot better recruiting. 3 missed years is killing us.

That's 3 in a row: 2017, 2016, and 2015. We need a lot better recruiting. 3 missed years is killing us.

True this is a bad class, but no scholly money tied up with these guys. Agree, that we cannot go good class, bad class, etc. But hopefully 2018-gets a good contribution from Aguliar and Janzer, 2019-with JoJo and Kannaird and Turley.

Santos is going to be tough next season in the mix to compete for the starting spot.

True this is a bad class, but no scholly money tied up with these guys. Agree, that we cannot go good class, bad class, etc. But hopefully 2018-gets a good contribution from Aguliar and Janzer, 2019-with JoJo and Kannaird and Turley.
We need all of those guys to be more than good contributors (need 4 to be multi year AAs), because we have almost nothing from the 3 prior classes, except for Suriano, who was a transfer, but a 2016 class recruit and a guaranteed high AA or finalist.
Santos is going to be tough next season in the mix to compete for the starting spot.
I think he may be a contributor, which is why I mentioned that, but I'm not sure he beats MVB and we need more than contributors; we need multi year AAs.

Reactions: zazoo2002
We need all of those guys to be more than good contributors (need 4 to be multi year AAs), because we have almost nothing from the 3 prior classes, except for Suriano, who was a transfer, but a 2016 class recruit and a guaranteed high AA or finalist.
I think he may be a contributor, which is why I mentioned that, but I'm not sure he beats MVB and we need more than contributors; we need multi year AAs.

Agree Leonard, 2018 and 2019 need to produce AA's or we will be a middle of the road team. It is very hard to break thru to a consistent top 10-15 team if we do not keep up with the other top 10-15 teams in recruiting and developing. Cannot have misses on your top recruits. I do think 2019 class is very good(2018-I like it but too me still TBD, we will see a lot next year with Aguilar at 125 and Janzer at 184 right out of the gate). I think if Glasgow goes 157 next year, Kannaird will start at 165(I have been high on him for a few years). I also think Aragona will be in the mix at 141-if he is close with Lipari, redshirt him, but if he is better....put him on the mat. True freshman who are ready have shown they can scrape with top kids.

I think him leaving shows he most likely was not in the mix. He is a solid back up, but if RU wants to be a top program....need better than that as starters.

Cleary had some good wins at the Princeton open so he was more than capable.Once a couple of the wrestlers realized they can't start they will move on which will happen every year.

Santos is better than you think.Next season we will be able to sought this out at 149.If we can get the following guys to AA next year: Suriano for sure,Glasgow,Grello & Correnti that's a successful year with maybe a couple of others qualifying. Aragona might be NO 1 in the land but it was not too long ago Benner beat him(College is a different animal).I am high on JOJO but let's see how he does his first year. Kannaird can compete right away at 165 or we can redshirt him.There are definitely options available for the coaching staff to tinker around with.

We need another high level transfer in. That would sort a lot of these issues. This year feels a little stagnant, but the state of the team is not as bad as some are making it out to be. If Glasgow comes on strong as he recovers, and Aguilar is the real deal, the last couple years won't seem as bad. Also, the future looks pretty good. Aragona is a big time recruit, and with the new practice facility coming online and being reality, not an architect rendering, it should be easier to sell recruits.

For fans of the program, you really need to hope and pray we get an NC this year, because we need desperately to tick that box, and if we don't do it this year, we most likely don't have anyone on roster who can.

That said, the staff definitely needs to recruit better, and also needs to find a way to keep non-starters on roster. The best programs hold kids. We need to do a better job of that. It seems like we are always one deep and everyone good enough to wrestle elsewhere leaves.

Last edited:
Santos is better than you think.Next season we will be able to sought this out at 149.If we can get the following guys to AA next year: Suriano for sure,Glasgow,Grello & Correnti that's a successful year with maybe a couple of others qualifying. Aragona might be NO 1 in the land but it was not too long ago Benner beat him(College is a different animal).I am high on JOJO but let's see how he does his first year. Kannaird can compete right away at 165 or we can redshirt him.There are definitely options available for the coaching staff to tinker around with.

Grello and Correnti to reach AA would take marked improvement. Both would need to develop vastly better offense, rather than just counter wrestling to hit that level.

This is my greatest frustration....the coaching staff clearly preaches offense. They talk about it all the time. But the kids dont DO it. So its obviously not working. That is on the staff. They MUST get these guys to execute that mentality when its on the line. I am not sure what the problem is, but it is obviously not translating.

I thought it was telling in the Ok State match. John Smith was positively furious at a couple of his guys who were not attacking, despite being in tight matches (and even winning). That is killer instinct. No recognition that "hey this guy is good so be careful" or of protecting a lead. Just let it fly. I would like to see Goodale do more than talk about offense. Maybe chew a guy out at the right time for not getting on it. So often, we seem to tolerate guys not taking a shot in the 3rd period when they are down 1 or 2, and time just runs out on them... and Goodale and Pritz pat the kid on the ass and off he goes. I am at the point where I am sick of watching that scene played out 5 times or more every match.

Last edited:
Cleary had some good wins at the Princeton open so he was more than capable.Once a couple of the wrestlers realized they can't start they will move on which will happen every year.

Getting majored by a D-3 guy and losing to a Lehigh 3rd stringer is not really a good showing(yes did beat D'Arcy, who is not having a good gap year). Anyway good luck to him at Rider, he will get a chance to be a starter.

Grello and Correnti to reach AA would take marked improvement. Both would need to develop vastly better offense, rather than just counter wrestling to hit that level.

This is my greatest frustration....the coaching staff clearly preaches offense. They talk about it all the time. But the kids dont DO it. So its obviously not working. That is on the staff. They MUST get these guys to execute that mentality when its on the line. I am not sure what the problem is, but it is obviously not translating.

I thought it was telling in the Ok State match. John Smith was positively furious at a couple of his guys who were not attacking, despite being in tight matches (and even winning). That is killer instinct. No recognition that "hey this guy is good so be careful" or of protecting a lead. Just let it fly. I would like to see Goodale do more than talk about offense. Maybe chew a guy out at the right time for not getting on it. So often, we seem to tolerate guys not taking a shot in the 3rd period when they are down 1 or 2, and time just runs out on them... and Goodale and Pritz pat the kid on the ass and off he goes. I am at the point where I am sicking of watching that scene played out 5 times or more every match.

Agree on Grello and Correnti. It remains to be seen if they turn that competitive corner. Hanging tough with good kids and losing is not going to get you to the podium. Biggest issue I see are the guys they are working with in the room. Getting better guys in the room from the club would move this needle the most. Ex: Desanto is wrestling Lee, Clark, Gilman (J Rent?) and already had a motor so now he is developing.

Also can't take up to January for you to get back to "form". I don't know what the kids are doing in the offseason outside of our two top guys.

No idea what to expect from Santos, but I'm not sure he beats MVB. Anyone know how they do against each other in the room? Expecting Grello and Correnti to AA next year is unrealistic based on their body of work. On their feet, they don't seem to have the offense, aggressiveness or scrambling ability. Maybe, huge maybe, 1 could breakthrough senior year, but I just don't see either happening. Hope I'm wrong. We'll know more after this season.

We need another high level transfer in. That would sort a lot of these issues. This year feels a little stagnant, but the state of the team is not as bad as some are making it out to be. If Glasgow comes on strong as he recovers, and Aguilar is the real deal, the last couple years won't seem as bad. Also, the future looks pretty good. Aragona is a big time recruit, and with the new practice facility coming online and being reality, not an architect rendering, it should be easier to sell recruits.

For fans of the program, you really need to hope and pray we get an NC this year, because we need desperately to tick that box, and if we don't do it this year, we most likely don't have anyone on roster who can.

That said, the staff definitely needs to recruit better, and also needs to find a way to keep non-starters on roster. The best programs hold kids. We need to do a better job of that. It seems like we are always one deep and everyone good enough to wrestle elsewhere leaves.
Everyone loses kids, so I'm not that worried about that. The main goal is to land better kids and not miss on so many, especially not in consecutive classes. Recruiting should get better with the new facility and a national champ, so fingers crossed for 1 or 2 of the latter this year.

I thought it was telling in the Ok State match. John Smith was positively furious at a couple of his guys who were not attacking, despite being in tight matches (and even winning). That is killer instinct. No recognition that "hey this guy is good so be careful" or of protecting a lead. Just let it fly. I would like to see Goodale do more than talk about offense. Maybe chew a guy out at the right time for not getting on it. So often, we seem to tolerate guys not taking a shot in the 3rd period when they are down 1 or 2, and time just runs out on them... and Goodale and Pritz pat the kid on the ass and off he goes. I am at the point where I am sicking of watching that scene played out 5 times or more every match.
The issue isn't our coaches not yelling at kids mat side. It's nearly impossible to make someone be aggressive when they haven't wrestled that way for much of their life and don't have that mindset. Have you coached wrestling? I preach offense, scoring and aggression every day, but it doesn't really matter. Only the elite have that mindset and execute that way, and even then they have lapses and setbacks.

2019 recruits:

JoJo Arragona, Pope John XXII, NJ (from Matamoras, PA) 141/149 lbs
- #1 @ 138 by Intermat & Flo, #6-#9 P4P overall by Flo (depending on timing)
- NJ states: 3rd @ 138 in 2018, 2nd @ 120 in 2017, 3rd @ 106 in 2016
- 1st @ 138 @ WNO 2018
- 1st @ 138 @ Beast of the East 2018
- Super 32: 6th @ 138 in 2017, 2nd @ 106 in 2015

Rob Kanniard, Wall, NJ
165/174 lbs
- #6 @ 160 by Intermat, #10 @ 160 by Flo (#66 overall by Flo)
- NJ states: 2nd @ 160 in 2018, 4th @ 152 in 2017
- 1st @ 160 @ Fargo Cadet Freestyle Nationals in 2018,

Jackson Turley, St. Christopher, VA
174/184 lbs
- #5 @ 182 by Intermat & Flo (#39 overall by Flo)
- VA states: 3x champ
- 2x national prep runner up
- 6th @ Fargo Junior National Freestyle in 2018

Devon Britton, Northampton, PA
141/149 lbs
- #14 @ 138 by Flo
- 3rd @ 138 in PA AAA states in 2018
- HS record 64-21 (low # of matches is concerning if he's been injured frequently)

Cody Harrison, Phillipsburg, NJ
157 lbs
- NJ states: 4th @ 138 in 2018 (2 losses to Aragona), 8th @ 126 in 2017 (lost to Metzler)

2020 recruits so far:

Dylan Shawver, Elyria, OH
125/133 lbs
- #8 @ 126 by intermat, #12 @ 126 by Flo, #61 on Flo's top 100 for 2020
- 2nd @ 113 in Ohio D1 states in 2018
- beat Howard

John Poznanski, Colonia, NJ
184 lbs
- #13 @ 160 by Flo, and in Flo's top 100 for 2020
- NJ states: 3rd @ 160 in 2018

Connor O'Neil, DePaul
165/174 lbs
- #17 @ 160 by Intermat, #15 @ 160 by Flo and in Flo's top 100 for 2020
- 2nd @ Fargo Cadet Freestyle Nationals in 2018

A.J. Ferrari is a must get and we need another 1 or 2 elite 2020's. Also need to get Anthony Ferrari, Shayne Van Ness and Nic Bouzakis. Anyone have info on possibilities?

Feel free to add to or correct anything I may have missed or messed up.

2019 recruits:

JoJo Arragona, Pope John XXII, NJ (from Matamoras, PA) 141/149 lbs
- #1 @ 138 by Intermat & Flo, #6-#9 P4P overall by Flo (depending on timing)
- NJ states: 3rd @ 138 in 2018, 2nd @ 120 in 2017, 3rd @ 106 in 2016
- 1st @ 138 @ WNO 2018
- 1st @ 138 @ Beast of the East 2018
- Super 32: 6th @ 138 in 2017, 2nd @ 106 in 2015

Rob Kanniard, Wall, NJ
165/174 lbs
- #6 @ 160 by Intermat, #10 @ 160 by Flo (#66 overall by Flo)
- NJ states: 2nd @ 160 in 2018, 4th @ 152 in 2017
- 1st @ 160 @ Fargo Cadet Freestyle Nationals in 2018,

Jackson Turley, St. Christopher, VA
174/184 lbs
- #5 @ 182 by Intermat & Flo (#39 overall by Flo)
- VA states: 3x champ
- 2x national prep runner up
- 6th @ Fargo Junior National Freestyle in 2018

Devon Britton, Northampton, PA
141/149 lbs
- #14 @ 138 by Flo
- 3rd @ 138 in PA AAA states in 2018
- HS record 64-21 (low # of matches is concerning if he's been injured frequently)

Cody Harrison, Phillipsburg, NJ
157 lbs
- NJ states: 4th @ 138 in 2018 (2 losses to Aragona), 8th @ 126 in 2017 (lost to Metzler)

2020 recruits so far:

Dylan Shawver, Elyria, OH
125/133 lbs
- #8 @ 126 by intermat, #12 @ 126 by Flo, #61 on Flo's top 100 for 2020
- 2nd @ 113 in Ohio D1 states in 2018
- beat Howard

John Poznanski, Colonia, NJ
184 lbs
- #13 @ 160 by Flo, and in Flo's top 100 for 2020
- NJ states: 3rd @ 160 in 2018

Connor O'Neil, DePaul
165/174 lbs
- #17 @ 160 by Intermat, #15 @ 160 by Flo and in Flo's top 100 for 2020
- 2nd @ Fargo Cadet Freestyle Nationals in 2018

A.J. Ferrari is a must get and we need another 1 or 2 elite 2020's. Also need to get Anthony Ferrari, Shayne Van Ness and Nic Bouzakis. Anyone have info on possibilities?

Feel free to add to or correct anything I may have missed or messed up.
We need to go all in on AJ Ferrari.. IDC w.e it takes!!!! He’s going to be #1 recruit p4p next year aka Gableson.. aka Snyder...One NCAA champion will score more points at nationals then 10 R12 guys.... IDC if AJ is the only recruit we get.. we need him!! With him coming obv Anthony Ferrari comes and will attract others like SVN ... kinda like how Scott Winston attracted others to come once he committed!

I would Love Ferrari, but how do we compete with Oklahoma State?
The family connection is probably the only way we have a shot at him.

OK State is Blue Blood Wrestling (as well as PSU now).
OK State is having problems fitting everyone in their lineup, so that is another plus for us.

RU needs a National Champ this year (2 would be awesome) and another solid NJRTC/SKWC heavyweight training partner. How is Pat Downey in the training room? He seems like he is trying to turn his life around.

Another Plus, Flo seems to LOVE Ru with their features.

I would Love Ferrari, but how do we compete with Oklahoma State?
The family connection is probably the only way we have a shot at him.

OK State is Blue Blood Wrestling (as well as PSU now).
OK State is having problems fitting everyone in their lineup, so that is another plus for us.

RU needs a National Champ this year (2 would be awesome) and another solid NJRTC/SKWC heavyweight training partner. How is Pat Downey in the training room? He seems like he is trying to turn his life around.

Another Plus, Flo seems to LOVE Ru with their features.

We compete with Oklahoma State by being Rutgers. No matter how impressive their histories are, PSU, Ok St. and Iowa aren't for everyone. Same goes for other sports. As for Ok St., the two cultures probably couldn't be further apart. Its not all about past accolades. Sure, John Smith has amazing credentials, but what that means for any young wrestler is up for debate, and his instruction may or may not be worth sitting in Oklahoma for 4 years. Then you add on scholarship availability and a path to cracking the starting lineup, etc. and you get separation. What PSU has done has been incredible... but it won't last forever. All Rutgers has to do is keep pushing forward, keep improving in all facets and we will have plenty of time to shine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT