ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling-Rutgers vs North Carolina / Match Thread

I hate to say it, but our younger guys need to figured it out. That’s the clean version of what I want to say

Was disappointing. I expected a win. A close win, but a win. Really thought Gravina would win his match.

Disappointing win I guess. LOL. Some guys need to know where they are in the dual. JVB is losing, but can't let himself get majored at the end. Grello winning but has to close out the major in that situation. I just want to see more urgency from some guys. Match should have been locked up before Gross took the mat.

Disappointing win I guess. LOL. Some guys need to know where they are in the dual. JVB is losing, but can't let himself get majored at the end. Grello winning but has to close out the major in that situation. I just want to see more urgency from some guys. Match should have been locked up before Gross took the mat.
Team was out of sync mentally it seemed at times tonight. Not sure why as its not like they have PSU on Sunday. Just some uncharacteristic mental mistakes at times, especially by JVB and Gravina.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearscreen25
Agree. Last couple recruiting classes haven't given us nearly enough. Does not bode well for the future. Grello eh, Mulligan disappointing, Van Brills are average. Besides Suriano our best guys are all upper classmen. We may be in big trouble in a few years. Goodale has alot of questions that need to be answered
I disagree, Grello and Mulligan still have potential.. heck Grello beat out a top 15 guy for starting spot as a fresh...the VAnbrills were not nationally ranked coming out of hs.. the fact that they are knocking off ranked guys in college is a huge credit to our staff imo... and yeah Suriano will be a contender for us for 3 years.. yippeee!

I am not sure gravina is 100% with all the shoulder injuries.
Van Brills are Good wrestlers....Top 12 type of wrestlers that could AA if everything goes right (IMO)
Suriano and Lewis are are Bulls right now (Should both be AA's)
I am hoping for good things from Correnti @ 285
Glasgow if huge if he academically qualifies.

Next year is a big year for recruiting.

A win is a win but I agree that the team didn’t look great. Can’t be too hard on JVB. The kid he wrestled is going to be a stud and put a beating on Tyler Berger this year. My only issue with JVB tonight was that he held poor position. A college wrestler should not get snapped back on a sit out. That’s HS stuff. He also put himself in way too much danger on his scrambles. Gravina was off for sure and Scott D, in particular, but really the whole team needed to be more aggressive in the first period. The team definitely wrestled better against Ohio State. Have to keep improving for March.

BOOM! Behind six victories, including major decisions from No. 2 Nick Suriano & No. 12 Richie Lewis, No. 17 Rutgers defeats No. 24 North Carolina by criteria, 18-17!
Just got home from the match. That didn't feel much like a BOOM! to me. More like Pheww! we got lucky they didn't have their full lineup. Our upper weights leave a lot to be desired. Who coach's them? Because they don't seem to be progressing very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
Can we go the transfer route? Watching these other matches and it seems like the top teams are scooping up all American transfers from schools like Pitt, old dominion etc?

A win is a win but I agree that the team didn’t look great. Can’t be too hard on JVB. The kid he wrestled is going to be a stud and put a beating on Tyler Berger this year. My only issue with JVB tonight was that he held poor position. A college wrestler should not get snapped back on a sit out. That’s HS stuff. He also put himself in way too much danger on his scrambles. Gravina was off for sure and Scott D, in particular, but really the whole team needed to be more aggressive in the first period. The team definitely wrestled better against Ohio State. Have to keep improving for March.

Nick's shoulder has to be an issue. I separated the AC in my shoulder Frosh season and it has never been right. I get cortisone shots from time to time and when it's bothering me it really effects my workouts etc. I just feel weak in my entire upper body. The only other think I would point out is they were ready for him to ride legs at the end and they countered him well.

As for JVB, and I said this to Josh during the match, after the 1st period it was obvious his funky style was going nowhere. He needed to adjust. I know it's tough to completely change your approach mid match, but he just kept doing the same stuff and all he did was constantly expose himself. He got frustrated and sloppy and he's lucky he didn't get himself pinned. With that said, he wrestled a future AA IMOP and JVB will rebound. Let's not kill the kid as he was not a blue chipper and developed quicker than expected last season and the expectations have been raised. I'm still very bullish on his career. That was just a flat out bad matchup for him. Still, he can't regress and needs to learn how to adjust mid match.

Scott D needed to be more aggressive on his feet and dictate the tempo. However, that 3rd period was a thing of beauty and is what B1G wrestling is about. Turn a guy and ride his ass out. That is Ashnault type stuff.

As for DeLuca, he is wrestling really well right now and met another stud and was toe to toe with him. He was pushing Heilmann at the end but the kid was smart enough not to get caught. He's your AA dark horse. That's back to back matches where Lazer ended the aggressor against top 5 competition.

And Richie Lewis and Eleazar DeLuca

Wanted to mention them as well.

Really? Gross won 120 matches and was a 2 time HS state champion who was a borderline national qualifier last year. We had 8 years of Russo and Billy Smith before him with Correnti about to step up next season.

Seriously. I get that people are frustrated, but some of the posts last night are over the top. You would think Grello had lost. People should also consider that Mulligan and Gravina are likely far from 100% at this point. If you saw the way Mulligan's arm was hanging at the end of the match, its obvious he is not at full strength right now. At the end of the match, he could not hold his arm up.

In the long run, I am bullish on Grello, Mulligan and Correnti at this point.

Seriously. I get that people are frustrated, but some of the posts last night are over the top. People should consider that Mulligan and Gravina are likely far from 100% at this point.

In the long run, I am bullish on Grello, Mulligan and Correnti at this point.

Said this about a month ago about Mulligan......he is a redshirt frosh wrestling "men" at 197, give him another year of strength training and he will be fine. I also think Grello and Correnti will be solid.

Was reading the match recaps. UNC really has a kid named Troy McClure??? That's pretty fantastic.

22b63f0fc615a1989ecb93a385bbe742--public-speaking-tips-troy.jpg

Really? Gross won 120 matches and was a 2 time HS state champion who was a borderline national qualifier last year. We had 8 years of Russo and Billy Smith before him with Correnti about to step up next season.
Staff failed to recruit the weight for a couple years and so that’s all it’s had for 2 seasons.

High school stats are from 5 years ago, no? 14-12 last year and 8-8 as a senior is a fair reflection of what Gross brings to the program. I presume that RU aspires to produce wrestlers who are better than .500.

Not Gross’ fault after a few years of football. It’s on the staff for having a hole at 285 after Smith.

I have not read all the post but want to give my 2 cents on JVB.

He is a guy that for better or for worse is not going to stop fighting until the whistle blows. Could he have kept the match to a regular decision yes (and probably should have), but that is not the way he is going to wrestle.

Lets go back a year ago when Rutgers beat Illinois 19-17. JVB went down 7-0 to Langenderfer, I don't remember anyone saying after the match I wish JVB would have lost by regular decision instead of going for the throw and getting the pin.

Staff failed to recruit the weight for a couple years and so that’s all it’s had for 2 seasons.

High school stats are from 5 years ago, no? 14-12 last year and 8-8 as a senior is a fair reflection of what Gross brings to the program. I presume that RU aspires to produce wrestlers who are better than .500.

Not Gross’ fault after a few years of football. It’s on the staff for having a hole at 285 after Smith.

They recruited Correnti and Mulligan who both had potential frames for heavy.

Sorry but your post made it sound like we pulled a kid off college ave. We were strong at HWT for nearly a decade and will be strong again next year. Gross won some key matches last year and was inches from being a qualifier. HS stats are relevant because it shows that the kid is a quality wrestler who was a bigger wrestling recruit than FB out of HS. Is he a bit of a tweaner for the college game? Yes, but he's a .500 wrestler who keeps matches close. HWT is not our problem and is going to be in great hands the next 3 years. No disrespect but it was a silly post.

Also had a guy named Wesley Bernard who was a 2x Indiana State Champ at 285 that didn't work out (I can't fault the staff for him not working out). Think he would be a Senior this year if still with the team.

Reactions: Jersey Boys

He is a guy that for better or for worse is not going to stop fighting until the whistle blows. Could he have kept the match to a regular decision yes (and probably should have), but that is not the way he is going to wrestle.

Lets go back a year ago when Rutgers beat Illinois 19-17. JVB went down 7-0 to Langenderfer, I don't remember anyone saying after the match I wish JVB would have lost by regular decision instead of going for the throw and getting the pin.

Agree with this for the most part. The only thing I would nit pick on is that Kennedy was not the kind of wrestler that was going go work on at that point. He tried tossing him a few times with poor results and he also had the leverage factor.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Also had a guy named Wesley Bernard who was a 2x Indiana State Champ at 285 that didn't work out (I can't fault the staff for him not working out). Think he would be a Senior this year if still with the team.
Knew that there had been an out of state kid in there some time but couldn’t remember the name. I didn’t mean to knock Gross, who has been a stand up kid after making a bad choice to hang around with some questionable football teammates.

Would like to see them go back to 3 three minute periods.

Somebody even older than me? :) Near as I can tell, the length of matches was changed to 9 minutes in 1938. When I wrestled in college in the 1970s, the matches were 2-3-3, although my coach used to have us wrestle 3-3-3 in practice - 3 times in a row. :eek:

3-2-2 matches began in 1982. So I'm not sure when 2-3-3 began. It wasn't horrible.

I didn't go last night because I figured it wouldn't be a competitive match (home match against a lower-ranked opponent) and Penn State-Michigan started at 9pm on BTN. I was a little shocked to hear it was a tie with NC.

Big difference between setting up a flying cement job in 2nd period and a desperation throw with 10 sec left in match...But that's JVB...

I would find it hard to believe that you ever wrestled a 9 minute match and would still feel the same way.
No I never did, but that was the format when I was in college. All matches were 3 threes.Those last minutes in the second & third were oftentimes deciding & oftentimes separated the men from the boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT