ADVERTISEMENT

WVU QB Will Grier will skip Bowl Game against Syracuse to prepare for NFL Draft.

Panthergrowl13

All Conference
Nov 11, 2002
I guess his decision will give Syracuse an edge.

Somewhat surprising that he decided to forgo his final game with the team.

Thoughts.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

If Ash was coaching he’d be there...ok got that one out of the way. It’s interesting that scholarships aren’t structured to set out when you can officially step away, or maybe they are. Can’t blame the players either.

Don't like this trend.
It's here to stay.
Once one star player sits out a bowl to make sure his draft status doesn't get hit by an injury playing
in a bowl game, you can be sure others will follow
and agents will recommend their clients sit it out.

Justt waiting for a playoff team have their star sit the playoffs out because of a minor injury or just doen't want to take a chance of being injured and have his draft stock drop.

No one is skipping the final four, they’re possibly throwing multiple millions away by playing.
Would OSU or Washington players skip the Rose Bowl?

What’s the determining reason to skip your game if money doesn’t factor into those bowl games

I get the trend and the reasons for it. I also think this is a real bad look for him. QB is supposed to be the leader and care about helping his team win. Bailing on the team for its bowl game that it is just about himself and he is getting out while he can

Good. Was hoping for this to happen.

Now even if Syracuse wins, the response can be "well you got lucky because Grier skipped the game".

And if WVU wins "wow, won woth their back up QB".

No one is skipping the final four, they’re possibly throwing multiple millions away by playing.
Would OSU or Washington players skip the Rose Bowl?

What’s the determining reason to skip your game if money doesn’t factor into those bowl games
Zap at one time I bet you felt no college player would miss his sxchool's bowl game if there was any possible way he could play in it.
Now minor bowls are irreverent and some players think about their NFL draft status over playing in it
Major bowls like the Rose , if not part of the playoffs, will see that happen sometime in the future and in time a player with a minor injury will duck their team's playoff game.

Times are changing from when the team comes first and now advisors are whispering in the players ear how much they'd lose if a major injury happened in post-season play.
It might be a long time coming, but it will happen and national championship contenders won't be immune down the road in my opinion.

Remember these kids are seeing assistant coaches and head coaches getting jobs at another program and leaving right away even though a bowl game is coming up.

Ash stayed for his Buckeye players and got roasted on this board for doing so.
Jeff Brohm left Western Kentucky before their bowl game and assumed his duties as the Purdue HC
Notre Dame’s Jaylon Smith was injured playing in the Fiesta and reportedly lost millions when he dropped down in the draft.
Those things will be brought up by advisers and some day will make the difference when a player decides about draft or playoff.

Zap at one time I bet you felt no college player would miss his sxchool's bowl game if there was any possible way he could play in it.
Now minor bowls are irreverent and some players think about their NFL draft status over playing in it
Major bowls like the Rose , if not part of the playoffs, will see that happen sometime in the future and in time a player with a minor injury will duck their team's playoff game.

Times are changing from when the team comes first and now advisors are whispering in the players ear how much they'd lose if a major injury happened in post-season play.
It might be a long time coming, but it will happen and national championship contenders won't be immune down the road in my opinion.

Remember these kids are seeing assistant coaches and head coaches getting jobs at another program and leaving right away even though a bowl game is coming up.

Ash stayed for his Buckeye players and got roasted on this board for doing so.
Jeff Brohm left Western Kentucky before their bowl game and assumed his duties as the Purdue HC
Notre Dame’s Jaylon Smith was injured playing in the Fiesta and reportedly lost millions when he dropped down in the draft.
Those things will be brought up by advisers and some day will make the difference when a player decides about draft or playoff.
I think you’re right.
The next development will be a great player opting out of the playoffs.
All of us and many of the talking heads want the tournament to expand to eight, but when this trend starts to trickle down to the playoffs the whole sport will start to stink.
Millions of dollars and security for life is going to trump the playoffs sooner than later.

Reactions: beaced
The Jaylon Smith syndrome. And now that it's established it's not going away.

How about the playoffs expand to 8 and a non P-5 giant killer gets the 8th seed, only to have their best player sit out

Yet another ugly trend. Only a matter of time before I just can't deal with watching any of this bullshit.
Just doing what the coaches have alway done, Temple coach is already at WF. He won’t be coaching them in the bowl. It all about money. These kids are finally getting good advise and looking out for number one like these coaches and schools. It sucks but they are just keeping it real. Liberty didn’t blink an eye when they hired their new coach because he can get them where they want to go and generate more money. That is a scandal waiting to happen

Yet another ugly trend. Only a matter of time before I just can't deal with watching any of this bullshit.
Kids and coaches ar3 doing it and ir srcrews the integrity of college football o4 at least what’s left of it.

I remember Kelly leaving Cincy high and dry after getting them to a BCS bowl (did not coach coach the game).

Edsall not taking the team plane back after bowl game to interview for the Maryland gig, yet he made his CB stand up in front of the team and say he was leaving school early.

Total sh*t bag business.

Good for the kids to get to transfer w/o sitting if they get their degree early. And good for them to sit out of the post season.

I hope a kid sits out of the payoffs one day. His coach ain't paying his mortgage if he blows out a knee. Nope. Next poor kid up.

I remember Kelly leaving Cincy high and dry after getting them to a BCS bowl (did not coach coach the game).

Edsall not taking the team plane back after bowl game to interview for the Maryland gig, yet he made his CB stand up in front of the team and say he was leaving school early.

Total sh*t bag business.

Good for the kids to get to transfer w/o sitting if they get their degree early. And good for them to sit out of the post season.

I hope a kid sits out of the payoffs one day. His coach ain't paying his mortgage if he blows out a knee. Nope. Next poor kid up.
Keep wishing.
You’ll wish away the people who sit in the stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rokodesh
The school uses the player. The player uses the school. $$$$
neither one will use anyone when no one shows up for games.
There’s no way boosters at major programs will continue to donate money for football at programs that exist to go to the playoffs

Last edited:
I remember watching when Willis McGahee tore up his knee in a bowl game. He still made it to the NFL but was drafted in a lower round which probably cost him a lot of $$. I understand why an NFL lock would skip the game but I'm curious how their team mates feel about it. The NCAA makes a ton of money on the backs of these players so maybe at a minimum they should be buying an insurance policy for every player in a bowl.

How about the commitment to the other kids on the team who have zero chance at the NFL and want to win a bowl game, no matter where it is?
I understand the trend and rationale but I think it sucks.
Agree 100%. The politics of greed really sucks.

Reactions: RuBird
I think you’re right.
The next development will be a great player opting out of the playoffs.
All of us and many of the talking heads want the tournament to expand to eight, but when this trend starts to trickle down to the playoffs the whole sport will start to stink.
Millions of dollars and security for life is going to trump the playoffs sooner than later.
No reason for it to be otherwise. Future Family's welfare comes before team.If a guy stays the course and plays,gets hurt ,drops in the draft or even can't
play anymore,what has he accomplished? Years down the line some Alum will say to another "what was that guys name who was getting drafted but played the Bowl game and got hurt instead?"

Reactions: newell138
No reason for it to be otherwise. Future Family's welfare comes before team.If a guy stays the course and plays,gets hurt ,drops in the draft or even can't
play anymore,what has he accomplished? Years down the line some Alum will say to another "what was that guys name who was getting drafted but played the Bowl game and got hurt instead?"
I agree, but it will change the fan interest level to pert ne’er negligible

How about the commitment to the other kids on the team who have zero chance at the NFL and want to win a bowl game, no matter where it is?
I understand the trend and rationale but I think it sucks.
I appreciate you can see both sides. His teammates aren't coughing up millions if he has a catastrophic injury. "Part the game man."

If I was a GM wouldn’t I see this as putting self before team? Wouldn’t I think that such a player might, in his NFL future, shut it down at season’s end to protect himself when his current contract is expiring ?

Since we are dealing with kids here, many of them have that feeling of being bullet proof. I can understand an athlete with real possibilities of being drafted high up already sewn up thinking twice about a bowl game. Also, if you already have had a serious injury, that has to be on your mind.
Since many bowl games are pretty much a joke now, why put yourself at risk if you are planning on still playing on Sundays?

Since we are dealing with kids here, many of them have that feeling of being bullet proof. I can understand an athlete with real possibilities of being drafted high up already sewn up thinking twice about a bowl game. Also, if you already have had a serious injury, that has to be on your mind.
Since many bowl games are pretty much a joke now, why put yourself at risk if you are planning on still playing on Sundays?
21 and 22 year old "kids"?

The playoff has made the second and third tier bowls absolutely meaningless. It’s just a 13th or 14th game.

The non-playoff New Years bowls (this year the Rose, Sugar, Peach and Fiesta) are a big deal. They are steeped in tradition, are in desirable destinations and get ratings. You’ve still had a great season and should be honored to be playing in one of these games. I’ll even give the Citrus, Gator and Sun Bowl games some love as they’ve been around forever.

The rest I can live without and obviously so can some of the players.

...players can take out insurance if the wanted for loss of earnings..
True.BUT,to insure Millions of dollars is very expensive.If they get the money from an agent,then they lose the ability to play in the game anyway.Ineligible.

Why should Hampton play in a meaningless bowl game if we happened to have made one?
His pro day performance is his only road to a free agent or late round signing opportunity.
His bonus would be of no consequence to his families future unless he makes an NFL squad.
His health should be his only priority...it’s more important than a first round pick because he needs to perform during workouts.
Guaranteed high picks can skip the combine

Don't like the trend either but I understand it and have no problem with anyone that chooses to do so, even it's a Rutgers player if we ever make it to a bowl game again. It only took them a 136 years to make the first one.

21 and 22 year old "kids"?
LOL, at 73 years of age everyone upright is a kid to me now.
But, when I graduated from college at the age of 22 I may have legally been an adult, but I still had the mindset of a kid. Cannot really imagine the level of things that those blessed enough with athletic talent that can make you wealthy have to deal with.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Total sh*t bag business.

You don’t seem to enjoy college football at all, I’ve never seen a happy post from you dude, in like 10 years of being here.

Why stop at a bowl? if you're a heisman candidate why even play in the last 4 games of the season? How about 6? Where's the limit?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT