ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's team is 1-3 game breakers away

Jerseylegends

Junior
Mar 15, 2023
While watching the game my thoughts were target Dremel and if he's not open, take off...I guess getting another year out of Dremel is impossible but this offense is a couple wide receivers and a more experienced Gavin in his 20s away from being able to compete with anyone on next years schedule. Also Melton has to tighten up on his side of the field. If I'm not mistaken Melton is a senior so idk, team might be breaking in two new corners next year. Longerbeam is an NFL player, idk if hes eligible for the draft but whenever he is, he's going...the defense is nasty this year but will be filthy nasty next year..if not too many guys elect to go to the league...
Depending on how much Gavin grows going into this final stretch of the season, I see these guys getting a 7 or 8 win season leading into next year and some nice preseason hype for the squad going into the new big ten. They're going to take those long flights to Jersey to get whooped.
Also I'm convinced some people on the boardd don't really understand how QBs develop in college and think all freshman come out firing like tua tagliviloa or Caleb Williams. Or maybe they are just trolling but it takes most QBs time to mature, do you see JJ mcarthy last year and in the beginning of this year? Even in the game against Rutgers the Michigan oc made it an easy game for him only throwing to receivers that were schemed wide open. And he has top tier receivers. Let Gavin get another year of experience under his belt and some game breakers at receiver, watch what a Heisman campaign in the NYC area looks like. I know the negatoids will hate that one. Lol but if wimsatt develops well for the rest of this year and has a breakout season next year, he will be on Heisman radar as a senior. "Be realistic" they'll say but I've made my money being an optimist.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but mentioning Gavin and that trophy they award in NYC in the same post is just silly right now

But I agree with the general nature of your post - Gavin is very young, the progress compared to last year is tremendous, and if he keeps progressing at the same rate (given his ridiculous natural talent) he could become something really special next year and/or year after

Let’s just leave it at that 😉

GW made some great throws. I liked that we actually used play-action this week. His misses are high. He can throw strikes if protected.

Reactions: Rokodesh
They’re on their way:

Korey Duff
Ben Black
Gabe Winowich
Isaiah Crumpler

GW is a good athlete but not accurate In throwing the ball. But as much as he needs to improve his accuracy, Ru needs better receivers that can create space and help the kid out

Reactions: Jerseylegends
They’re on their way:

Korey Duff
Ben Black
Gabe Winowich
Isaiah Crumpler
If it's possible, I'd like them to come from the transfer portal for some proven playmakers...Ben black looks good though...would like these guys to have a year to develop before being counted on to upset usc..

GW is a good athlete but not accurate In throwing the ball. But as much as he needs to improve his accuracy, Ru needs better receivers that can create space and help the kid out

Agree with this. End of the day, it takes two to complete a pass. Having receivers that can regularly find space will help him greatly.

I definitely want him to improve on the high misses since they will likely get picked more often.
Won't give him a pass for yesterday's INTs, but one rifled off the receivers' hands, the other maybe weather. There's no way for this to not sound like excuses, but perfect is the goal, it's not reality.
Won a game that appeared over, so I will take it.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
If it's possible, I'd like them to come from the transfer portal for some proven playmakers...Ben black looks good though...would like these guys to have a year to develop before being counted on to upset usc..
Proven Playmakers will come if enough people pony up. It is difficult to get them without financial support.

This is simply not true. Wimsatt is accurate enough to be 6-2. Till date, he’s completed 50.9% of his passes with 7 Touchdowns and 4 ints. This is up from 44% last year. Just like prior Rutgers QBs, he is gradually improving his completion %, as time passes on.

When Gavin demonstrates proper mechanics, he throws an NFL ball. Not many quarterbacks could have thrown the 4th quarter TD pass to Washington. But when his mechanics suffer, the ball sails on him, or is thrown inaccurately, which is why he doesn’t throw across the middle as much as people would like.

As I pointed out previously, Duff, Ben Black, and Crumpler are all going to significantly augment our WR Corp. and he will continue to improve upon his completion percentage next year. This year, he will probably hover around 50-54%, which is good enough for now.

This week against Indiana, he should be able to pile up stats, and improve his completion %.

I would love if we had Clark harris on this team. Tight ends are not that good.

Agree with this. End of the day, it takes two to complete a pass. Having receivers that can regularly find space will help him greatly.

I definitely want him to improve on the high misses since they will likely get picked more often.
Won't give him a pass for yesterday's INTs, but one rifled off the receivers' hands, the other maybe weather. There's no way for this to not sound like excuses, but perfect is the goal, it's not reality.
Won a game that appeared over, so I will take it.
Repetition, you hope that he's disciplined enough to rep perfection throughout this year, over the summer and into next season...then see what you get...These are growing pains...I truly believe a guy like Brock purdy was so game ready out of college because he started for all 4 years. If you work hard, which is what Rutgers is known for, experience of can be an equalizer against some of the more talented teams. But a game breaker or 2 at the skill positions is the cheat code...maybe a guy that can return punts..lol my heart races every time since the first game. And I'm just on the couch I see why schiano makes him fair catch every time. But it would be nice to have the threat of a punt return TD .

The reason why your coaches are all in on #2 is because if he puts in all together, he is an ALL American talent. I seen the kid scramble and juke the shit out of the MSU defender but he threw it away. Kid’s pocket awareness is very underrated.

One thing people are missing is the yards per completion. How many 15+ yds passes did we have? Think MSU didn’t have any plays over 15 yds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT