ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier's Mack front runner for Louisville job...

This will be an interesting one. Mack is a Xavier alum and his wife has strong ties in Dayton. Money talks though. The guy can flat out coach.

No way Hurley goes there if it does open up.

He didn't have a good game against FSU. He was outcoached by Hamilton which is a dubious achievement.
You're going to judge a coach on one game? Look at his record and if you watch his teams, you can see that they have good offensive schemes and play defense.

Beyond money is it ?

And are you factoring in that the NCAA might throw the book at them ?

I don't think it will be that bad. Louisville fired everyone and Bowen never played

Bingo - the NCAA threw the book at Penn State football for the Sandusky stuff then quickly reinstated the scholarships and reversed the sanctions with the reasoning that the school Prez, AD and coaching staff were all gone. Same will apply here.

I think it is a risk for Mack to accept Louisville. Mack is a Xavier grad but his wife is supposedly originally from Louisville so this could be interesting.

Ville is clearly a step up--and not just 1--from Xavier...history, passion, ACC...
BE is not a destination league for coaches, unless in specific circumstances, such as Wright at Nova...

Ville is clearly a step up--and not just 1--from Xavier...history, passion, ACC...
BE is not a destination league for coaches, unless in specific circumstances, such as Wright at Nova...
You don't think Xavier, one of the most successful programs in college basketball over the past 20 years is a destination?

doesn't matter what i think, it hasn't proven itself to be a destination...Matta left for OSU, Prosser for Wake...clearly Xavier is a better job than it ever has been before...but if it can't keep an alum there...but I was also referring to all other BE jobs except Nova...and that is largely due to Wright...

doesn't matter what i think, it hasn't proven itself to be a destination...Matta left for OSU, Prosser for Wake...clearly Xavier is a better job than it ever has been before...but if it can't keep an alum there...but I was also referring to all other BE jobs except Nova...and that is largely due to Wright...

Pay scale was much different. Matta and Prosser are eons ago. McDermott staying. But some guys will always chase the $ or get out of dodge before their weaknesses become obvious.

Pay scale was much different. Matta and Prosser are eons ago. McDermott staying. But some guys will always chase the $ or get out of dodge before their weaknesses become obvious.
Agreed and Luisville is a different animal. Mack wouldn't be leaving Xavier for Pitt or Ole Miss.

come on--almost every big east coach would jump to go to ACC, sweetened by the fact of more money and greater potential

Great job for a great coach. Perfect fit. Mack has ties to Louisville too. Good for that program - those kids deserve it.

Pretty obvious on this one: Mack's wife has family in Louisville and they are giving him a substantial raise. The BE will not be able to go toe-for-toe on salary on balance with the P5 schools, although it still is much higher than the other conferences. $1.5 - 2.5 M/year isn't bad, but it also has to be the destination for a coach (like Wright, Mullin, Ewing and Cooley for instance). Mack looked like he might be in that spot, but the Louisville personal connection was probably a big differentiator.

Mack to Louie at $4 Mil a year and 7 year contract.
Supposedly taking some of his assistants with him.
Let the Xavier job speculation begin :D

Pretty obvious on this one: Mack's wife has family in Louisville and they are giving him a substantial raise. The BE will not be able to go toe-for-toe on salary on balance with the P5 schools, although it still is much higher than the other conferences. $1.5 - 2.5 M/year isn't bad, but it also has to be the destination for a coach (like Wright, Mullin, Ewing and Cooley for instance). Mack looked like he might be in that spot, but the Louisville personal connection was probably a big differentiator.

$4M per vs. $1.6M per will win out every time. Xavier is a pretty good job, but it still is a stepping stone position because it does not have big bucks behind it. They always do well in getting a good Coach when the present Coach moves on, so they'll be ok.

so who gets the Xavier job...does the Loyola coach get a look?
I thought about that as well. Or you elevate Mack's top assistant or maybe look at Schmitt of St Bonaventure or Oats from Buffalo.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT