ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

One thing comes to mind about the US vs Wales soccer game. How many forced laborers died building this stadium?

Qatar 2022 may be worse than Sochi 2014.

This ref isn’t going to allow the sorts of hard fouls the US‘s qualifying group employ regularly. We better adapt quick.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Man I really hope the ref's don't play a part of this match. England was robbed for a penalty, thought it didn't cost them. FIFA - the most biased, corrupt officiating in all of professional sports. IMHO.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
This ref is calling stuff very soft.

Ona separate note, Weah looks off right now.

Based on Infantino’s remarks I expect no favors for the West with the colonial powers most disadvantaged.

I’m just a pedestrian fan that drops in every blue moon. I think we usually have good athleticism but that was some nice touch there on the pass and shot on goal.

I think the US players may be a little nervous. First World Cup for everyone in the field at the moment. Gonna be some youth issues.

Luckily for us, Wales is not great. I think maybe Iran is better than Wales. But we’ll see.

And now Aaronson off the bench to run like a jackrabbit in the 2nd half.

Game is opening up now as Wales needs to attack.

To be fair, more often than not, that and the other two yellows would‘ve garnered warnings at most in most of our qualifiers. It’s good to see the US players adapting to the light fouls calls.

Probably should withdraw Weston at the half. Tweeked the groin it seems, plus he's on a yellow. Probably should take Dest off too, based on yc plus coming back from an injury.

Reactions: mildone
Probably should withdraw Weston at the half. Tweeked the groin it seems, plus he's on a yellow. Probably should take Dest off too, based on yc plus coming back from an injury.
Particularly since any two yellows in group play, maybe beyond, not sure, is a suspension in this tournament.

Not a great half for this US team, we’ve seen them play much, much better while playing better teams. But they got a bit better as the half went on.

Good to be up a goal. But the play has been sluggish even accounting for Wales pre-goal defensive posture.

For the love of God, someone please muzzle Lalas.

In fact, they should all shut up except Donavan who actually does a decent job of analysis.

Not a great half for this US team, we’ve seen them play much, much better while playing better teams. But they got a bit better as the half went on.

Good to be up a goal. But the play has been sluggish even accounting for Wales pre-goal defensive posture.
Ream has been terrific. Hard to fathom he's only there due to multiple injuries. Turner with nothing to do. I'll take it and run.

Reactions: mildone

Don't agree. The US has dominated the game and has dictated most of the play. I would question some players taking too many touches, along with a few loosing control, but I didn't see many chances for Wales.

The team does have to stay under control with the tackling. As noted above, this isn't Concacaf where anything not drawing blood goes.

Hope we can turn up the tempo and get another goal or three.

Really? I thought they looked pretty good. Maybe it would’ve been nice to have more opportunities but Wales looked packed in and I’ve never thought of the US as a team that could break through that kind of defense.

Don't agree. The US has dominated the game and has dictated most of the play. I would question some players taking too many touches, along with a few loosing control, but I didn't see many chances for Wales.

The team does have to stay under control with the tackling. As noted above, this isn't Concacaf where anything not drawing blood goes.

Hope we can turn up the tempo and get another goal or three.
I’m not talking results. I’m talking quality of play. Ours quality has been lacking in the first half. As bad as Wales looks at the moment, as weak as their play from the back, we should be up by 3 goals.

Yes, we dominated but mostly because of lack of strong competition, so far at least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT