ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Good article on Hurley rise

Every team outside of DM is a challenge.

Just stop at not an expert. Listen more. Post less.
You’re acting like losing most big ten games is not the most likely outcome. Do you disagree with me?

This year is the least college basketball I’ve probably watched in 25 years. That was planned knowing this years ceiling and floor were pretty low and next year will be the most energy we put into a season in quite sometime.

Looking forward to conference play. Season can get scary bad if defense does not step up.

Definition of a fair weather fan right here ^

Guy barely watches Rutgers basketball this year and next year will be begging people for 100 level seats.

Reactions: Kbee3 and TRU2RU
Not true.He likes playing at MSG in front of large crowds.
He’s cried about 75% of opposing fan bases being too mean to him while he rants like a lunatic on the sidelines. It’s hard to become a joke when you’re a championship-winning coach but he’s managed to do it.

Not true.He likes playing at MSG in front of large crowds.
Correct. Danny H also likes winning. 7-0 at MSG this season.

TKR posters don't like coaches who win, especially national championship coaches. Harbaugh hate promptly followed by Hurley hate.

Reactions: Chanticleer108
Guy is an unhinged doosh. And also a cry baby.

Glad we didn’t offer him a 10 year contract or whatever else him and his dad were looking to bend Rutgers over for.

He would have bolted after the first sign of success.
He still would've brough success which the next hire could've built upon SMDH

Lol the B1G has a horrible basketball product which is hard to watch. I would not be pissed at anyone who stated so or watched other leagues....
(1) lol
(2) why would you think that I’m pissed about what he watches?

I will be 62 next March Madness, I have been a Rutgers basketball fan since 1980.
If Rutgers basketball doesn’t perform next year Sweet 16 at a minimum I am done.
I love basketball to much to continue to watch shi**y basketball.
I don’t have many Marches left.
If Hurley stays at UCONN, I will go all in.

Will not go through another coach hoping to build Rutgers to what it should be, Which is UCONN.
Cliff has to go he is part of the problem, watching him play ugly basketball makes my eyes hurt.
He is not a winner.
You might be a long time fan but your long term dedication stinks

Reactions: TRU2RU
Did you miss the 1980 part 😂
Thanks for the suggestion,
I got this if Pike doesn’t cash in next year I am out.
Because he is on his way out. Unless Rutgers hires the next Dan Hurly or Hurly himself it’s over in this day of NIL.
This year was a disgrace.
Bandwagon 😂😂😂
On a serious note… the program is the best it’s ever been. Yes, even better than the late 70s, because Pike is a great coach that wants to be here and the university is more committed than ever. It sounds like you’re just getting old, tired and grumpy. Which is fine. It happens. There will 1000 fans waiting to take your seats as the excitement is higher than ever.

You might be a long time fan but your long term dedication stinks
Yeah in this new age of college sports, I think they should create a fan portal.
Each year fans can enter a portal, and Based on their donation size they get offered perks. Uniforms, courtside seat dinner with the coach. Opportunities to coach a game or be on staff.
Every year you start over again.
Now that is dedication!

On a serious note… the program is the best it’s ever been. Yes, even better than the late 70s, because Pike is a great coach that wants to be here and the university is more committed than ever. It sounds like you’re just getting old, tired and grumpy. Which is fine. It happens. There will 1000 fans waiting to take your seats as the excitement is higher than ever.

Many here are as old if not older and have been fans just as long. I think that grumpy probably best describes some of the fans who constantly reference personal quitting or the demise of RU/College sports. Perhaps they don't like change or prefer not to roll with the changes. Perhaps they are just frustrated with raised expectations and the steps needed to get from the middle to the top. Progress is rarely ever linear, but I agree with you that the program is in good hands and there is significant excitement about next season and beyonr from "most" of the fanbase.

Yeah in this new age of college sports, I think they should create a fan portal.
Each year fans can enter a portal, and Based on their donation size they get offered perks. Uniforms, courtside seat dinner with the coach. Opportunities to coach a game or be on staff.
Every year you start over again.
Now that is dedication!
Let me say I totally dislike the NIL, the portal system, and this has soured me on college sports
I still support RU as a fan and that will never change
At one time players were loyal and loved the program and school well after graduation
Now, we have players like Eugene O, Paul M, transferring when I had thought they bled scarlet
It is disappointing

Let me say I totally dislike the NIL, the portal system, and this has soured me on college sports
I still support RU as a fan and that will never change
At one time players were loyal and loved the program and school well after graduation
Now, we have players like Eugene O, Paul M, transferring when I had thought they bled scarlet
It is disappointing
Let me know, When the Qb at Michigan is playing in the rivalry game against OSU, and already has a back channel deal to be the QB at OSU the next year.
We are not far from that, at that point what really is the point?

Last edited:
Reactions: wheezer
Weird take. Harbaugh is a scumbag cheater. You like scumbag cheaters?
Let us be serious - if a lying, cheating, stealing coach got a Rutgers team close to a national title, TKR would be overflowing with love for coach, not hate.

We’ve had some bad actors too. But instead of bringing in super players using whatever means necessary and loving them, our coaches bring in mediocre players then make them play naked and throw basketballs at them.

Let us be serious - if a lying, cheating, stealing coach got a Rutgers team close to a national title, TKR would be overflowing with love for coach, not hate.

We’ve had some bad actors too. But instead of bringing in super players using whatever means necessary and loving them, our coaches bring in mediocre players then make them play naked and throw basketballs at them.
Speak for yourself. I would not donate another dime if Harbaugh was hired. Or Hurley. I'm not a win at all costs kind of fan. Your examples are irrelevant. Both were fired immediately.

Reactions: Fat Koko and TRU2RU
I will be 62 next March Madness, I have been a Rutgers basketball fan since 1980.
If Rutgers basketball doesn’t perform next year Sweet 16 at a minimum I am done.

Will not go through another coach hoping to build Rutgers to what it should be, Which is UCONN.
Cliff has to go he is part of the problem, watching him play ugly basketball makes my eyes hurt.
He is not a winner.
It's been a lot worse than this. The disappointing mediocrity of this season is light years better than the utter hopelessness of the Hill, Littlepage, and Jordan eras. There is at least some hope now.

To be fair, Rice was not fired immediately and probably would not have been fired for at least another year had the video not been on ESPN.
That's a fair point, I suppose. One version of the story was TP wanted to fire him right away. But Rutgers being Rutgers and living in fear of lawsuits, consulted the lawyers (big mistake), and they struck the fear of being sued in the minds of the BOG and the worm Barchi. But you are right. However, they did not stand by Rice because he was a great coach. Versions of that story differ, but I would be more inclined to believe TP than that worm Barchi.

It's been a lot worse than this. The disappointing mediocrity of this season is light years better than the utter hopelessness of the Hill, Littlepage, and Jordan eras. There is at least some hope now.
True, and if next year with 2, 1 and dones success that allows for building doesn’t come, it is over.
No reason we should be in this do or die season, past is not an excuse.
We have so much more to sell and are uniquely positioned as a bball program.

Yes! Now I am excited about this basketball program.

Let's go Pike and team next season. Patient, passionate fans have earned it.

So very, very true…that little reality/truth nugget does not sit well with some 🤭

If anyone wants to really dig into the Hurley/Rutgers stuff. The first time around, when he was at Wagner, he was demanding at least a 7 or 9 year contract in order to clean up the Mike Rice stuff and then hit the ground running. Clearly, we didn't go with that.

The second time around, and I heard this from someone who would know, but is no longer with us: Hobbs offered Hurley a package that was very inviting. So much so that Hobbs thought he had him and even told Kevin Willard that. He was confident, but then Hurley got cold feet. On the CBS sports podcast, they gave some context into which I think he got cold feet--while Hurley was trying to decide to leave URI or not--some of his advisor told him, "Yeah, RU is offering you a nice package and they are upping their support, but you are going to enjoy those perks only to lose. Rutgers is a losing job and it is going to drive you crazy. Wait for something more of sure thing." Ultimately he turned it down. Remember there were two separate times we offered him the job, but I believe the first was the only time where he demanded the ridiculous amount of years.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to really dig into the Hurley/Rutgers stuff. The first time around, when he was at Wagner, he was demanding at least a 7 or 9 year contract in order to clean up the Mike Rice stuff and then hit the ground running. Clearly, we didn't go with that.

The second time around, and I heard this from someone who would know, but is no longer with us: Hobbs offered Hurley a package that was very inviting. So much so that Hobbs thought he had him and even told Kevin Willard that. He was confident, but then Hurley got cold feet. On the CBS sport podcast, the gave some context into which I think he got cold feet--while Hurley was trying to decide to leave URI or not--some of his advisor told him, "Yeah, RU is offering you a nice package and they are upping their support, but you are going to enjoy those perks only to lose. Rutgers is a losing job and it is going to drive you crazy. Wait for something more of sure thing." Ultimately he turned it down. Remember there were two separate times we offered him the job, but I believe the first was the only time where he demanded the ridiculous amount of years.
This sounds credible. Thanks for sharing.

That's a fair point, I suppose. One version of the story was TP wanted to fire him right away. But Rutgers being Rutgers and living in fear of lawsuits, consulted the lawyers (big mistake), and they struck the fear of being sued in the minds of the BOG and the worm Barchi. But you are right. However, they did not stand by Rice because he was a great coach. Versions of that story differ, but I would be more inclined to believe TP than that worm Barchi.
And they made TP the fall guy.

• Sad
Reactions: Knight Shift
He’s referring to trilly Donovan info that someone he knows who is not a slam dunk source claims Will Wade will take Ace Bailey if he gets a high-major job.

Trilly broke most of the news that has been posted about Ace and Dylan’s recruitment.

He has said although he wouldn’t be surprised if Wade made a move for him that he doesn’t have reason to believe Ace isn’t going to Rutgers now.
Simple solution! Hire Wade!!!! Younger better coach on the rise ! Problems solved!

Speak for yourself. I would not donate another dime if Harbaugh was hired. Or Hurley. I'm not a win at all costs kind of fan. Your examples are irrelevant. Both were fired immediately.
You would donate to Harbaugh who videotapes games but would donate to Schiano given his history? 😆
Need to find you a moral compass

True, and if next year with 2, 1 and dones success that allows for building doesn’t come, it is over.
No reason we should be in this do or die season, past is not an excuse.
We have so much more to sell and are uniquely positioned as a bball program.
It is by far the easiest it’s ever been to win in college hoops and win anywhere. You create a winning program and culture by building upon your success incrementally every year. What you don’t do is have a sliding 4 year stretch and now holding on for dear life for a freshman. Seats hot 🥵 for an average coach trying to prove he can be great! I am hopeful and confident Ace and Dylan will be here . No excuses

Reactions: socaldave

He is not a winner.
Is that on Cliff or the coaches? He did fine on defensive side. That is thanks to Pikiell. However, Cliff, like the rest of the team, struggled offensively. Pikiell is not an offensive minded coach, but neither is anyone on his staff (or so it seems). The problem may lie on that side of equation.

Is that on Cliff or the coaches? He did fine on defensive side. That is thanks to Pikiell. However, Cliff, like the rest of the team, struggled offensively. Pikiell is not an offensive minded coach, but neither is anyone on his staff (or so it seems). The problem may lie on that side of equation.
He is a good shot blocker of the other teams guards and 3’s who beat their man to the hole. That does not make him a good defender.
He doesn’t defend well against a competent opposing 5
I don’t agree he is a good defender

He can’t move his feet in space!
Iowa kills our trap because they expose Cliff by engaging the center.
ReWatch the play in game: ND ran 5 high slip screens for the center and killed cliff in space.
ReWatch the NIT game last 7 minutes.
I like Cliff but one on one defense not good. Help side good but only because he ALWAYS goes for the block leaving us exposed on the offensive glass. (Hedges never)
Cliff great shot blocker great young man wish him the best!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT