ADVERTISEMENT

OT: True Detective Season 2 Premiere *SPOILERS*

jay_hq

All American
Apr 24, 2010
So what did you guys think? I thought it was terrific!

Lots of complex characters this season. The acting is great.

Usually it takes me a few episodes to get into a new series but i'm hooked after that first episode.

It's definitely gonna be almost impossible to beat the awesome acting in the first season but this season will have a lot more characters to follow and looks good since it's completely new storyline etc. The fictional town of Vinci, Ca. Where this takes place is based on a true corrupt town in Cali called Vernon. Weirdest part of opener was the backflash I had to Weekend At Bernie's when they found the dead guy on the bench.

Too early to make a final judgment, but Vince Vaughn did nothing to alleviate my concerns about casting him.

He's always been an uneven actor, particularly shaky at non-comedic roles.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUKeystone
So there are complex characters and great acting? I can't watch the show now that I know that. Please, don't be so specific with your spoilers next time.

Wow. Collin Farrell playing a tortured soul. Now that's unusual casting lol.

I wasn't thrilled but understand they had more characters to establish than the original so it was going to be slower.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
I liked it. As long as it is dark, brooding, mysterious and full of people with messed up lives, TD will be good and so far Season 2 hasn't strayed from that formula. The acting will never be at the level of the first season because you had two amazing actors. Time is going to be a full sphere in this season rather than a flat circle.

What I didn't like was the title sequence. Visually fine, but the song made me think of the Wire's "Down In The Hole". "Far From Any Road" is a great song for last seasons title sequence.

Pizzolatto seems to have a thing for refineries. Think Season 3 will be in NJ? One of his first remarks about Season 2 was that it will be about the occult beginnings of the US transportation system. So start Googling the occult and railroads.

Didn't watch the two new shows afterwards. Football versions of "Entourage" and geopolitical comedy doesn't do it for me, unless it "Spies Like Us".

Much of the outdoor location shots were shot in Ventura County. I drive by many of them everyday. TD#2 has captured the flavor of the area - not necessarily picturesque by traditional standards.

And you Jersey boys think towns are corrupt back east. California cities like Vernon, Bell, City of Industry, Oxnard are rotten to the core. Most of them have few residents and/or a significant population immigrants that the politicians steal from. Outrageous salaries, pensions, and graft over decades. The worst part is no one really cares until the corruption becomes so outrageous that the state is forced to step in by the media.

It's intriguing how the the TD#2 appears to be lumping the high speed rail project that is breaking ground in California right now with a price tag of $40 - $60 billion.

Not really tied into local corruption yet, but oh how the politicians and the unions are salivating on the funding for this project that makes no sense. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in TD#2 or if it's just a sub plot.

Reactions: Mike from MD
it gets better. first episode was def disappointing until the final five minutes which tied all the characters together. it gets better though.

it gets better. first episode was def disappointing until the final five minutes which tied all the characters together. it gets better though.

@NYSportsFan, were the folks at HBO excited by the three new series' releases? Ballers seemed alright but it feels kind of stale. Just another regurgitation of Entourage with athletes. (Big Entourage fan here). The other show, "The Brink" I am not sure how I feel about. Crazy to see guys like Tim Robbins and Jack Black do HBO. TD1 really set the tone that is now cool to do premium cable if you are traditionally a movie actor.

@NYSportsFan, were the folks at HBO excited by the three new series' releases? Ballers seemed alright but it feels kind of stale. Just another regurgitation of Entourage with athletes. (Big Entourage fan here). The other show, "The Brink" I am not sure how I feel about. Crazy to see guys like Tim Robbins and Jack Black do HBO. TD1 really set the tone that is now cool to do premium cable if you are traditionally a movie actor.

I actually left HBO in Dec (work with MSG now) but before I left there was a lot of talk about the new pilots (i was able to see Ballers pilot before I left and the first two eps of TD2) so there's def excitement. heard from someone in programming the season is good, but that person says every show is good, he said John form Cinncinati was going to be good haha. i believe theres another new show coming in Sept to pair with Leftovers S2. thats why they let Newsroom, True Blood, Boardwalk all go off without renewal, wanted to get some new shows off and running. Its funny because traditionally, what i have heard from people who work in production/set design/etc, HBO is not the best in terms of pay for those folks. but they do pay the actors haha. to be expected of course

I really liked The Newsroom and was sorry to see it go.

I'm anxiously awaiting Sorkin's next project. It's my personal belief that The West Wing was one of the best television series, ever. And his first effort, SportsNight, was outstanding as well, considering its short run.

I really liked The Newsroom and was sorry to see it go.

I'm anxiously awaiting Sorkin's next project. It's my personal belief that The West Wing was one of the best television series, ever. And his first effort, SportsNight, was outstanding as well, considering its short run.

I was looking up Sorkin stuff the other day and there is not one thing of his I don't like. Loved Sportsnight. Loved it. Loved Newsroom although it was a bit wordy at times, love a few good men, love social network, even liked Moneyball. I mean the man knows what he is doing when it comes to writing a script.

Newsroom was unwatchable once you got to about episode three and tired of watching characters lob prepared speeches at each other for the entirety of the show.

I thought Farrell was good, not sure about Vaughn yet . I didn't realize that was Rachel McAdam till I saw the credits.

Anyone watch the 3rd episode yet? For me, this season is not "must-watch TV" like the first season was. Season one had this unnerving sense of dread and tension that just isn't here.

Anyone watch the 3rd episode yet? For me, this season is not "must-watch TV" like the first season was. Season one had this unnerving sense of dread and tension that just isn't here.

Unlike season one the characters are all so unlikeable there's no one to root for so far.

With all their flaws you wanted Chole and Marty to win at the end. On top of that they were investigating the deaths of innocent people. There doesn't appear to be any innocents here.

I was shocked what happened to Colin Farrell at end of last nights episode. He must be dead, no?

It's not Games of Throne. He must be dead especially since the 2nd shot was point blank.

Maybe it's just me but I would think that if he was actually dead they would have given us a much bloodier and intense death. I wonder if he wasn't shot with salt or bean bags.

So far, this year's episodes ramble on with too much dialogue. And Vince Vaughn just isn't up to this. McAdams is good, and so is Farrell.

Been ok for me at best through the first 2 episodes. I really loved Season 1. So far, Season 2 has not been able to capture much of the essence of what made the first season so good and different from any other police drama (of which there are thousands...). Still a ways to go though, so it still has time to get better.

Been ok for me at best through the first 2 episodes. I really loved Season 1. So far, Season 2 has not been able to capture much of the essence of what made the first season so good and different from any other police drama (of which there are thousands...). Still a ways to go though, so it still has time to get better.

I think many people forget the beginning of Season 1 and just remember the last episodes when the season really exploded. Hanging in there for the possibility that the same thing happens in Season 2.

I don't think Vaughn is so bad. I just keep waiting for Owen Wilson or Jon Favreau to show up lol.

:joy:

2nd episode was much better, not so disjointed. Can't really complain with the casting, although Kitsch is a bit off.

I think the big thing that set off season 1 from 2 is how the original 2 were interviewed, giving them the whole stage, seemingly talking to the audience.

. . . Season 2 has not been able to capture much of the essence of what made the first season so good and different from any other police drama . . . .

You can see that that atmosphere is there and could still be taken advantage of. There's a seedy town with broken people doing desperate things with little chance of redemption, etc. But it just hasn't taken hold. To me, some of it is the acting, but some of it is that there just isn't enough happening. I also have to disagree about the pacing of last season. I thought last season was powerful right from the start and almost never let up. It too told a convoluted story, but you wanted to be in on it. This year, I'm not sure. This is not to say that it's bad. It's just not best of TV, at least yet. Last season was the best thing on TV.

I think many people forget the beginning of Season 1 and just remember the last episodes when the season really exploded. Hanging in there for the possibility that the same thing happens in Season 2.
It certainly "exploded" at the end of last night's show.

Great so far. VERY dark. Could they have made Vince Vaughn spookier? Woody Harrelson and Matthew Mcconaughey were smart to hang on to a good brand Exec Producers. Farrell will live but will he be a eunuch? This and Ray Donovan will be good Summer watching.

So who is more likely to be dead, Delcoro or Jon Snow?

So far, still liking it, but SNL can make a good skit out of the final bar scenes with Lera Lynn's mournful songs and Vaughn/Farrell bickering. Want to know what happened to that bar girl's face. Still holding out hope with Matt McC as an EP, shows up as Rust Cohle, the hired consultant.

Wasn't the bar maid with face scars the prostitute in The Unforgiven who gets all cut up by the drunk john?

So who is more likely to be dead, Delcoro or Jon Snow?

So far, still liking it, but SNL can make a good skit out of the final bar scenes with Lera Lynn's mournful songs and Vaughn/Farrell bickering. Want to know what happened to that bar girl's face. Still holding out hope with Matt McC as an EP, shows up as Rust Cohle, the hired consultant.

Just watched 1st episode... slightly disappointed. Last season there was a mystery and obviously a freaky "big bad" right out of the chute. Had to wait until the end of this episode to find a crime worthy of "true detectives". And none of the 3 cops have come across as particularly adept "detectives".

I am going to stick with it.. but maybe it is going to be a completely different kind of show this season.

Just watched 1st episode... slightly disappointed. Last season there was a mystery and obviously a freaky "big bad" right out of the chute. Had to wait until the end of this episode to find a crime worthy of "true detectives". And none of the 3 cops have come across as particularly adept "detectives".

I am going to stick with it.. but maybe it is going to be a completely different kind of show this season.
Frankly I like season 2 better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT