ADVERTISEMENT

OT: True Detective Season 2 Premiere *SPOILERS*

Frankly I like season 2 better.

Still have not watched S1E2 yet, but I have thought about e1 again comparing it to last season. Immediately, last season, we saw a mysterious crime and a talented detective who had mysterious problems. Immediately, we saw the tension between the 2 main characters.

This season... we have 3 detectives, all are messed up, we know why the main character (Colin Farrel) is messed up.. and how he became entwined with the "legitimate businessman". As far as we know, the 3 main detectives have no prior relationship or even a reputation that the others know about. They also totally revealed the background for the chick detective also. The motorcycle cop.. um.. may be still a bit of a mystery.

I just think it failed badly as a first episode. Nothing much to hook onto.. I'm not even sure if I, as a viewer, care why I should care the "legitimate businessman" / old guy was killed and had his eyes burned out with acid. Compare that to the first season with a young woman used as roadside art sculpture.

I hope this isn't just going to be about the messed up lives of these cops with the "detective" part fading into the background. I know this story doesn't have as many moving parts as Game of Thrones.. but so far, my guess is it has too many for the kind of single season with limited episodes show.

am liking this season better than the first - think it is developing nicely! there was mystic religious edge to first season that carried until thee full development of the plot mystery.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT