ADVERTISEMENT

Steep decline of the Atlantic 10

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
its 15 now with the addition of Loyola Chicago who is struggling this season and not sure this was the right move from them from their geographic brethren in the Missouri Valley

Currently rated 12th best conference in the NET, at its peak it was around 7, its fallen below even the WAC and CUSA this year

Looking like one bid league, Dayton played a tough schedule but lost them all and VCU has a win over Pitt to its credit but thats basically it for the conference. Its straight up trash.

In the past schools like have been good enough to land in the top 25 and have some one off seasons in the top 10 and even though Dayton did it a few years its clear this league is in a decline. Last year Richmond had that run late to get a 2nd bid from the league and then bounced Iowa in the tourney. I would say having 15 schools is part of the reason.

George Washington and St Joe's should go to Colonial
Saint Bonaventure and Fordham to MAAC
La Salle to NEC

That gets you back down to 10. Honestly schools like Georgetown, Seton Hall, and St Johns belong more in the A 10 than they do in the Big East

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Committee always has a boner for the A-10 so they'll still get two bids. Georgetown SHU SJU to the A-10 is laughable, they've been Big East schools forever and can easily compete with Marquette, Xavier, Providence.

Taking Loyola was stupid, that program was irrelevant before Moser and they'll go right back to it. They're, what, the 4th best Chicago school?

Taking them was the equivalent of taking George Mason, whose success was entirely due to Jim Larranaga. Mason hasn't made the tournament once since they moved from the CAA to the A10.

Reactions: RUkhoury
the A10 would have been better served going after Wichita State who could be reunited with their old rival Creighton

It's easy to say they should stay in their league, but the money and TV contracts matter. At least Loyola Chicago was on TV last night.

In terms of the NCAAS, sometimes a league has an off year. I wouldn't put too much stock into it, someone will steal a bid and Dayton will get in.

My ideal A-10 would be:

UMass
Rhode Island
St. Joe's
La Salle
Fordham
Dayton
St. Bonaventure
Duquesne
George Washington
Temple (go independent in football)

George Mason, Richmond, and VCU go back to the CAA. Saint Louis goes to the Missouri Valley, and Loyola Chicago goes back there. Davidson goes back to the SoCon.

I realize that $ dictates this will never happen.

First down year in a long time. League has been decent. Look at last year “weak bubble team” Richmond took down B1G champ Iowa. Didn’t St.Louis just get one of better players in NJ?

Reactions: ScarletDave
the A10 would have been better served going after Wichita State who could be reunited with their old rival Creighton
I normally respect your opinion but this is the kind of thing that used to appear in The Mugrat. Why would the Big East jettison three of its founding schools and give up the NYC and DC markets? Not to mention with whom would they replace them. The purpose being to prop up the A10. Maybe you should worry about how the Big 10 is going to manage the coast to coast behemoth that will be coming soon.

My ideal A-10 would be:

UMass
Rhode Island
St. Joe's
La Salle
Fordham
Dayton
St. Bonaventure
Duquesne
George Washington
Temple (go independent in football)

George Mason, Richmond, and VCU go back to the CAA. Saint Louis goes to the Missouri Valley, and Loyola Chicago goes back there. Davidson goes back to the SoCon.

I realize that $ dictates this will never happen.

wasnt this the league makeup from about 20 years ago?

Fordham does not belong in the A10....they have not been successful at all at this level

I normally respect your opinion but this is the kind of thing that used to appear in The Mugrat. Why would the Big East jettison three of its founding schools and give up the NYC and DC markets? Not to mention with whom would they replace them. The purpose being to prop up the A10. Maybe you should worry about how the Big 10 is going to manage the coast to coast behemoth that will be coming soon.
because the addition of UConn has cornered the NYC market. No surprise its the midwest schools next in line in the Big East. Nova headed south with Jay gone. Georgetown is playing to an empty arena in DC. St Johns totally irrelevant. The Big 10 adding the top schools from the Big 12 is glorious

They draw well in the Garden for sure but I’m not sure at all they have “cornered” the NY market. Simply too far away. Never ever local news or sports. Closer to Boston and Providence markets.

First down year in a long time. League has been decent. Look at last year “weak bubble team” Richmond took down B1G champ Iowa. Didn’t St.Louis just get one of better players in NJ?
Bonnies stars now play for Iowa State

The American is next when they lose Houston , central Floria and Cincinnati to the bjg 12…..

Yeah the shakeup there will be interesting

Where did Southern Mississippi go? Weren't they in American?
Sun Belt. I don’t think they’ve been relevant since the Clarence Weatherspoon days of the early 90s.

The American is next when they lose Houston , central Floria and Cincinnati to the bjg 12…..
The AAC basketball lineup is going to be awful. and Temple will be competing there.

ECU, FAU, Rice, North Texas, Tulsa, Tulane, Charlotte, SMU, USF, UAB, Wichita, and TEMPLE

Tickets will be plentiful in North Philly

Reactions: Local Shill
The AAC basketball lineup is going to be awful. and Temple will be competing there.

ECU, FAU, Rice, North Texas, Tulsa, Tulane, Charlotte, SMU, USF, UAB, Wichita, and TEMPLE

Yeah they need to head back to A10 or het a lifeline from big east

It was questionable at the time, but UConn made the right move to get out of that mess.

It’s like all the conference USA teams moved to the AAC just to end up right back in conference USA

Yeah they need to head back to A10 or het a lifeline from big east
Wouldn’t be surprised if Wichita State eventually moves to A10 though have they done anything since Greg Marshall was let go? Also would Temple consider moving back to A10 and making their FB an independent a la UConn.
Talking about Northeast independents, would be nice for a small FB conference - a la the Yankee Conference - to be formed with UCOnn / UMAss / Temple / Army and maybe others schools like Fordham etc. Think you need 6 schools to form a conference.

What !! First off Creighton is in the Big East and to suggest Seton Hall, St John's and Georgetown got to the A10 is just being a jerk. How many years was Rutgers on the bottom of Big East and Big 10 until Pikrll saved them. Seton Hall, St John's and Georgetown see original Big East schools and will br hood again we ith yhdc t ight hire. Hell didn't Seton Hall beat Rutgers this year.

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
A10 is most likely a one-bid league. They have a number of near-bubble teams, but the games against weak members will gradually sink everyone’s net/sos. Maybe one team wins all the remaining regular season games but get’s upset by #2 in the conference championship - but I doubt that’s enough.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT