ADVERTISEMENT

The MBB out-of-conference schedule

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
There's been discussion of our OOC schedule and how it might impact our NCAA hopes this year, so I decided to do a KenPom comparison of the OOC schedules last year and this year.

2022-23 (KenPom rankings at conclusion of 2022-23 season):

Columbia - 341

Sacred Heart - 326

UMass-Lowell - 134

Temple - 120

Rider - 206

Central CT State - 339

Miami - 24

SHU - 58

Wake Forest - 86

Bucknell - 303

Coppin St. - 338

2023-24 (current KenPom rankings, with last year's final ranking in parentheses just for comparison)

Princeton - 65 (91)

Boston Univ. - 307 (266)

Bryant - 213 (208)

Georgetown - 173 (219)

Howard - 238 (218)

St. Peter's - 231 (308)

Wake Forest - 79 (86)

SHU - 54 (58)

LIU - 356 (363)

Miss. State - 17 (53)

Stonehill - 354 (331)

Thus, in 2022-23, we played 24, 58, 86, 120, 134, 206, 303, 326, 338, 339, 341.

And in 2023-24, we are playing 17, 54, 65, 79, 173, 213, 231, 238, 307, 354, 356.

Bottom line is that I don't really see much difference between last year's OOC schedule and this year's. In fact, although the KenPom rankings for the current year are still incomplete since most teams have only played 4 to 6 games, one could argue that this year's OOC schedule is a tick harder, as: the best team on our OOC schedule this year is higher ranked than the best team last year (17 vs. 24); we're playing more top 100 teams (four instead of three); we're playing more top 250 teams (eight instead of six); and we're playing fewer sub-300 teams this year (three instead of five).

We'll see how the rankings play out over the course of the season, but at worst the OOC schedules are comparable, and at best, this year's is better than last year's by a bit. (Yes, I know BOTH of these OOC schedules are fairly weak, but that's a discussion for a different day -- this thread is simply comparing last season with this season).

Playing in a November tourney would be nice, but I'd be just as happy if RU scheduled a game in one of these events. Of course, Pike would say most of 'em conflict with finals...

* JIMMY V CLASSIC (NY – Madison Square Garden)
Dec. 5
UConn vs. North Carolina; Illinois vs. FAU

* HALL OF FAME SERIES (Toronto – Coca-Cola Coliseum)
Dec. 9
Purdue vs. Alabama; TCU vs. Clemson

* HOLIDAY HOOPSGIVING (Atlanta – State Farm Arena)
Dec. 9
Auburn vs. Indiana; Mississippi State vs. Tulane

* ORANGE BOWL CLASSIC (Sunrise, Fla. – FLA Live Arena)
Dec. 9
Florida vs. Richmond; Florida State vs. USF

* HALL OF FAME BARCLAY’S TRIPLEHEADER (Brooklyn – Barclays)
Dec. 10
St. John’s vs. Boston College; Colorado vs. Miami; Fordham vs. North Texas

* SEATTLE TIP-OFF (Seattle – Climate Pledge Arena)
Dec. 15
Gonzaga vs. UConn

* CBS SPORTS CLASSIC (Atlanta)
Dec. 16
Kentucky vs. North Carolina; Ohio State vs. UCLA

* JERRY COLANGELO CLASSIC (Phoenix – Footprint Center)
Dec. 16
Grand Canyon vs. Portland; Saint Mary’s vs. UNLV; Washington State vs. Santa Clara; UC Santa Barbara vs. LMU

* HALL OF FAME SERIES (San Antonio – AT&T Center)
Dec. 16
Tennessee vs. NC State; Cal vs. Ole Miss

HALAL GUYS SHOWCASE (Houston – Toyota Center)
Dec. 16
Texas vs. LSU; Texas A&M vs. Houston

* HOLIDAY HOOPSGIVING (Atlanta – State Farm Arena)
Dec. 17
Georgia Tech vs. Penn State; South Florida vs. Loyola Chicago

* HALL OF FAME SERIES (Phoenix – Footprint Center)
Dec. 20
Arizona vs. Alabama; Arizona State vs. Northwestern

There are so many tournaments, it seems stupid that we shouldn't be in at least 1 or 2 of them. Sure, don't pick the Thanksgiving week one, but there's plenty of other choices.

Charleston Classic is played the weekend before Thanksgiving. Pike can still have his thanksgiving break. With a potential top ten team next year, you have to showcase them.

Charleston Classic is played the weekend before Thanksgiving. Pike can still have his thanksgiving break. With a potential top ten team next year, you have to showcase them.
If Rutgers is a potential top ten team next season it needs to play in the Maui Invitational, Battle 4 Atlantis or, at least, the ESPN Invitational.

If RU gets an invitation to any of those three next season the athletic director should make them accept.

If Rutgers is a potential top ten team next season it needs to play in the Maui Invitational, Battle 4 Atlantis or, at least, the ESPN Invitational.

If RU gets an invitation to any of those three next season the athletic director should make them accept.
The AD should be working the phones to make sure we get into one of these Tournaments . . .

We need a team to drop out because those tourneys are already set. But if they do drop it , Pike and Hobbs has to do everything to get in and preferably Maui or Battle for Atlantis. You can be assured Rutgers will be a top 10 ten. Mark it in ink. !!

We need a team to drop out because those tourneys are already set. But if they do drop it , Pike and Hobbs has to do everything to get in and preferably Maui or Battle for Atlantis. You can be assured Rutgers will be a top 10 ten. Mark it in ink. !!
You can’t give tourney organizers hard Nos for years and expect to be at the top of the list for new invitations.

You can’t give tourney organizers hard Nos for years and expect to be at the top of the list for new invitations.
Normally true but it is not often we have a Final Four potential team with player class coming either 1,2, or 3 in the country that can play with the Blue Bloods. That is a huge selling point .

They are usually scheduled out a year. Doubt the top ones have openings for 24 unless is one backs out.

They are usually scheduled out a year. Doubt the top ones have openings for 24 unless is one backs out.
Yup, and Dayton will play in Maui for the second time since 2019 and fifth time since 2000.

Is Dayton expected to be a top-10 team next season?

We have generational talent coming in next year. When you have 2 (likely) lottery picks you have a responsibility to showcase them. And why wouldn’t you want RU to a national story all year, which it will be provided we actually play these made for TV events. If we don’t it won’t hurt us, but it will be a huge missed opportunity.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
We have generational talent coming in next year. When you have 2 (likely) lottery picks you have a responsibility to showcase them. And why wouldn’t you want RU to a national story all year, which it will be provided we actually play these made for TV events. If we don’t it won’t hurt us, but it will be a huge missed opportunity.
Generational talent? You think it will be at least 15 years before Rutgers recruits talent like that again?

because posters here still try to idolize the idea that being a bubble team every year is the benchmark

Not just the fans, but players I’ve got to imagine would want to play in one of these 4 team or holiday tournaments.
not clear why pike and Hobbs are tone deaf on this.

There is only one tournament that matters, and it ain't in November

Last edited:
There is only one tournament that matters, and it ain't in November

Not really. The season is 5 months long. And if these tournaments don’t matter why is it that all of the top teams play them?

Not really. The season is 5 months long. And if these tournaments don’t matter why is it that all of the top teams play them?
As in most things related to college sports, it probably involves $$, but they could also be fun trips for the players and the fans, exposure, the chance to test yourself early in the season, etc, etc.

None of which changes the fact that there is only one tournament that really matters.

Reactions: Plum Street
The teams for the 2024 ESPN Events Invitational (Disney World) are not set yet. I don't think they have had a team from the B1G since Maryland won the tournament in 2019.

I don't think conference TV deals matter, they have teams from conferences who don't have TV deals with ESPN.

Reactions: High Quality H2O
The teams for the 2024 ESPN Events Invitational (Disney World) are not set yet. I don't think they have had a team from the B1G since Maryland won the tournament in 2019.

I don't think conference TV deals matter, they have teams from conferences who don't have TV deals with ESPN.
Penn State is in the ESPN Events Tournament this year.

My impression is RU wasn’t invited in the past. Serious question - How do you know RU was invited and turned them down?
I can’t reveal everything I’m told but if you look back you can find a post from me in early June saying a deal about been struck to play an old local rival on Nov 6 in Trenton. That was a month before it was announced and disputed by an “insider“ in another thread.

I also gave the news 2-3 weeks ahead of its announcement that a game had been inked for Dec 23 at Pru with a strong SEC team that was in the 2023 NCAA tournament and was a top OOC game this year. That game replaced the never-announced Dec 23 game against St Johns at MSG that fell through before it could be finalized with MSG because SJU made the coaching change.

The only reason I gave those out before they were announced was because there was anxiety on this board about the OOC schedule and RU took a crazy amount of time to announce them. I don’t need the attention of being someone with inside info and those two were two of the rare times I gave out something.

My impression is RU wasn’t invited in the past. Serious question - How do you know RU was invited and turned them down?
Just to add to @ruinac’s comments, it is up to Pike, his staff, and the AD if necessary to go out and work the phones and get games scheduled and get into Tournaments. They shouldn’t be waiting around for someone to offer us something, they should be marketing the players we have coming in and getting us better opponents.

Last edited:
I can’t reveal everything I’m told but if you look back you can find a post from me in early June saying a deal about been struck to play an old local rival on Nov 6 in Trenton. That was a month before it was announced and disputed by an “insider“ in another thread.

I also gave the news 2-3 weeks ahead of its announcement that a game had been inked for Dec 23 at Pru with a strong SEC team that was in the 2023 NCAA tournament and was a top OOC game this year. That game replaced the never-announced Dec 23 game against St Johns at MSG that fell through before it could be finalized with MSG because SJU made the coaching change.

The only reason I gave those out before they were announced was because there was anxiety on this board about the OOC schedule and RU took a crazy amount of time to announce them. I don’t need the attention of being someone with inside info and those two were two of the rare times I gave out something.
What games did they turn down? Is it just the thanksgiving week games?

I will say that as someone who wants us to play better non conference games, what Seton Hall did doesn't make sense either. Flew to California to take losses to USC and Iowa. There are real benefits to staying close to home.

Reactions: biazza38
What games did they turn down? Is it just the thanksgiving week games?

Quite a few of the 4-team tournaments played in the area that are played earlier or after Thanksgiving. How silly was it to turn down approaches last year, including the HOF at Mohegan Sun Nov 19 and 20 only to play a one-off against Temple at Mohegan Sun the day before - Nov 18?

As much as I’m not a fan of the 3 game tournaments, because I think there are a lot of bad ones, a two game tournament would be beneficial. I think Uconn played at the garden in one.

Reactions: ruinac
If we're not going to be in one of these things next year, I'd like us to at least schedule a neutral site game or two against top 25 teams at MSG

Reactions: ScarletDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT