ADVERTISEMENT

The MBB out-of-conference schedule

I will say that as someone who wants us to play better non conference games, what Seton Hall did doesn't make sense either. Flew to California to take losses to USC and Iowa. There are real benefits to staying close to home.
It's important to know your team. Seton Hall played in an event with USC, Iowa and Oklahoma.

That event could have been played on SHU's campus and the Pirates still would have taken two losses. They were clearly the weakest team in that event.

Reactions: biazza38
I will say that as someone who wants us to play better non conference games, what Seton Hall did doesn't make sense either. Flew to California to take losses to USC and Iowa. There are real benefits to staying close to home.

If you don't have a lock on 8 to 10 difference maker games and you are a Seton Hall, then you have to play those games.

The OOC tards keep acting as if we aren't going to play USC, UCLA, Oregon or Washington at least once next year, along with all of the quality opponents in conference. There is literally no need to play a holiday tournament game 2000 miles away.

Schedule something locally at MSG, Barclay's or Prudential Center and end the discussion. I am 100% looking forward to playing a game at Pauley Pavillion in the next year or two, mixed with a trip to USC at the Galen Center in LA. No one cares about an ESPN holiday tournament on Thanksgiving morning or mid afternoon....no one is watching these games unless you are a fan of one of those programs.

It's Maui or maybe Atlantis or skip it.....not worth the time or travel, we have enough travel built into our schedule in 2024 and beyond, no need to add to it.

If you don't have a lock on 8 to 10 difference maker games and you are a Seton Hall, then you have to play those games.

The OOC tards keep acting as if we aren't going to play USC, UCLA, Oregon or Washington at least once next year, along with all of the quality opponents in conference. There is literally no need to play a holiday tournament game 2000 miles away.

Schedule something locally at MSG, Barclay's or Prudential Center and end the discussion. I am 100% looking forward to playing a game at Pauley Pavillion in the next year or two, mixed with a trip to USC at the Galen Center in LA. No one cares about an ESPN holiday tournament on Thanksgiving morning or mid afternoon....no one is watching these games unless you are a fan of one of those programs.

It's Maui or maybe Atlantis or skip it.....not worth the time or travel, we have enough travel built into our schedule in 2024 and beyond, no need to add to it.
Like it or not the committee considers non conference SOS, not just overall SOS. I agree that keeping it local is the right move though.

Reactions: bac2therac
“In November and December, there are 76 men’s college basketball tournaments and multi-team events (MTEs), according to Blogging the Bracket, an SB Nation website that tracks these events each year. All but 24 of the 362 schools in Division 1 are participating in a tournament or MTE,”

If only 24 teams aren’t playing this year the number of teams who haven’t played in any year since COVID must be close to 1.

Last edited:
  • Angry
“In November and December, there are 76 men’s college basketball tournaments and multi-team events (MTEs), according to Blogging the Bracket, an SB Nation website that tracks these events each year. All but 24 of the 362 schools in Division 1 are participating in a tournament or MTE,”

If only 24 teams aren’t playing this year the number of teams who haven’t played in any year since COVID must be close to 1.

Infuriating

Georgetown looking good vs Merrimack
giphy.webp

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Generational talent? You think it will be at least 15 years before Rutgers recruits talent like that again?

If Dylan Harper ends up committing, I'd say getting two of the top 3 players in a class would qualify.

In the last 20 years, only three schools/coaches have managed to get commitments from 2 of the Rivals Top 3 players: Duke/Coach K (2022, 2018, 2016), Kentucky/Calipari (2011, 2009), UCLA/Howland (2012)

Reactions: Degaz-RU and Scangg
You think Rutgers will land 2 of the top 3 overall high 5 star one and done top 5 type lottery projected talents again in the next 15 years?

Russ confirmed mega Rutgers bull #RutgersRuss
If it happens once, why can't it happen again? I'm an optimist

Relating to the thread topic , I am puzzled today at Kenpom’s listing of our out of conference strength of schedule as 324. We have played #51, # 310 , # 215, #189, # 218 , and # 256. Princeton , Boston U, Bryant , Georgetown , Howard , and St. Peter’s.
5 of the 6 except Georgetown who has a 357 out of conference strength of schedule , have out of conference strength of schedules ranging from 70 ( Bryant ) to only 132 ( St. Peter ‘s ) .
How is ours # 324 ? Can anyone explain ?

We have upcoming #70, # 62, # 338, # 28, and # 345 but #338 LIU plays the 149 out of conference strength of schedule and # 345 Stonehill plays a 62 strength of schedule. ( They play against high Power 6 teams ). Will it get better or get worse for RU? Please explain if you know.

Relating to the thread topic , I am puzzled today at Kenpom’s listing of our out of conference strength of schedule as 324. We have played #51, # 310 , # 215, #189, # 218 , and # 256. Princeton , Boston U, Bryant , Georgetown , Howard , and St. Peter’s.
5 of the 6 except Georgetown who has a 357 out of conference strength of schedule , have out of conference strength of schedules ranging from 70 ( Bryant ) to only 132 ( St. Peter ‘s ) .

We have upcoming #70, # 62, # 338, # 28, and # 345 but #338 LIU plays the 149 out of conference strength of schedule and # 345 Stonehill plays a 62 strength of schedule. ( They play against high Power 6 teams ). Will it get better or get worse for RU? Please explain if you know.
I think you’re misunderstanding the SOS number. It’s not an average of the KenPom rankings of the teams on our OOC schedule. It’s a ranking of the relative strength of the OOC opponents as a collective whole as compared to other teams.

I think you’re misunderstanding the SOS number. It’s not an average of the KenPom rankings of the teams on our OOC schedule. It’s a ranking of the relative strength of the OOC opponents as a collective whole as compared to other teams.
Thank you. So the fact we have played few ranked teams or teams ranked in top 75 to date compared to all other teams . That makes more sense . Now the playing of Princeton neutral , Wake away , Seton Hall away , Mississippi neutral should improve it a little even though LIU and a Stonehill will keep it there. But at least LIU and Stonehill are playing heavyweights so we are not the only ones playing those teams.

Reactions: Degaz-RU

I dont know but to date our schedule is pretty poor

It will improve with the next 4 though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT