ADVERTISEMENT

Why can’t we still finish 10-10 in the B1G?

That's where RU was selected preseason the season before that as well.

There's literally no difference from the eye test of most of this season vs last season, other than scheduling two other variable OOC games.

If RU is 13-7 & 2-6 in the B1G, with 2 games vs Illinois, one at MIchigan State, one at Ohio State and hosting Purdue, the BEST case scenario most RU fans would have had, was 3-5 in the B1G, knowing what each team looks like now.

The B1G schedule is also much more difficult this year vs last year.....last year we drew Penn State twice, Minnesota twice, Northwestern twice and Ohio State twice. While PSU and NW made the NCAAs, it was a much easier slate last year. And with that said, with Minnesota having their best player back in the 2nd matchup, we still somehow coughed up that game.

Add to it going to Seton Hall, going to Wake Forest this year, vs hosting both programs last year and the record could have likely looked exactly like this year's current record, if those OOC home games, were road games last year.

Adding Mississippi State and Princeton, while helping our OOC vs last years, kinda takes the NCAAs off the table. If RU scheduled easier like they had in previous season's, there would still be bundles of Q1 opportunities to steal games and get to a 19 win level. 19 wins with Princeton, Mississippi State, at SHU and at Wake, was too much for this revamped roster.

There is literally a massive difference in the eye test from last season to this season. I don't get this take at all...

We were 6-3 in conference at this point last year with two massive road wins against top teams in conference.

NCAAs were stolen from us last year. This team should throw a party if they make the NIT. It's a night and day difference.

I think what Green Rice is saying is that we could very well run those same sets, but zero guarantee we'll get the same results
If we run similar sets, I can promise we will get good looks.

Most of our "successful" games on offense this year (and really Pike's tenure) has been excellent individual efforts by players hitting difficult shots or getting hot from 3.

Douby was so deadly at Rutgers because we ran a lot of action for him off ball to free him up in space and get a good look at the hoop. Obviously he was incredibly talented, but if our offense with Douby was just ISO ball, I'd be willing to bet his numbers would look totally different.

Get quality looks at the hoop and let the basketball Gods decide your fate.

We just don't have great shooters, either in close or from three or from the FT line. It is what it is and I have trouble seeing anything to fix that unless Gavin starts going off (I think he has the potential to be a very good shooter). So while we'll have some good shooting games like SHU or good shooting halves like today, we're going to have to rely on our defense and just enough offense for wins and that likely means not that many wins, which makes 10-10 a tall order. Would love to see it, but I don't think we'll do better than 8 B1G wins at this point.
What was obvious is we played only one decent half… we are devoid of a scorer… a real threat… we struggle at the free throw line… oh and did I mention we can’t hit a 12-15 ft. Shot… other than that when are those
interesting...good info.
the bubble of what exactly… NIT?

Zap, I respect your opinion but on this last point we disagree somewhat. I’d put the fans positive influence on a player at 5%, rather than having no impact at all. I say this for two reasons:
1. If fans don’t matter, where does home court advantage come from?
2. In these days of social media dominance, players get to read what their fans are saying about them (as opposed to just a few quotes from sportswriters).
(1) Not having to travel / being in familiar surroundings
(2) Refs being slightly influenced by the home crowd

How can you say that! This time last year we were rolling. We were fully healthy and beating good teams and dominating mediocre teams.

NCAA tournament was almost a given and talks of winning a National Championship were being had.

This year we go down 15 to every team and fans are excited when a player goes 3-11 from the field.

lol no

are you actually saying last years vs this years team is the same

this is absolutely comical from you at this point. Last year RU WON AT PURDUE....END OF DISCUSSION

incredibly bizarre take and we had net in the top 30 last year at this team

off the deep end...admit your loss here and move on

There is literally a massive difference in the eye test from last season to this season. I don't get this take at all...

We were 6-3 in conference at this point last year with two massive road wins against top teams in conference.

NCAAs were stolen from us last year. This team should throw a party if they make the NIT. It's a night and day difference.
I think Hawk's account may have been taken over by ChatGPT.

• Haha
Reactions: cm_13 and FAT MOON
10-10/11-9 also doesn’t automatically get you on the bubble like in years past, even without RU’s typically non-con blemishes. The B1G probably only gets 6/7 teams this year, and RU is 1-8 (?) in Quad 1 right now, meaning they’d effectively have to win all Q1 games
10-10 gets you on the bubble but not necessarily the right side of it. At least in the conversation though.

2-18 <0.5%
3-17 2%
4-16 7%
5-15 16%
6-14 24%
7-13 23%
8-12 16%
9-11 8%
10-10 3%
11-9 1%
12-8 <0.5%

Cumulative Probability of 10-10 or better: ~3%

Pretty bad but I've seen weirder things happen.

2-18 <0.5%
3-17 2%
4-16 7%
5-15 16%
6-14 24%
7-13 23%
8-12 16%
9-11 8%
10-10 3%
11-9 1%
12-8 <0.5%

Cumulative Probability of 10-10 or better: ~3%

Pretty bad but I've seen weirder things happen.
flux, is this based solely on our 2-6 start without regard to which teams we’ve played (and which ones we have left to play)?

Success and confidence builds positivity and optimism…. Even during loses.
It’s transferred from players to fans, not the other way around.
Fans will never have a thing to do with the overall success of a player.
Totally disagree. The energy at the RAC lifted the team back yesterday.

The aholes sitting near me did not cheer once for RU. That's 4 seats where more noise could help the team. The negativity I refer to is those fools sounded and looked like 4 dorks who read the nonsense on this board and repeat the nonsense. One even complained about Mulcahey from last year right after the 10 second call against Purdue. He was a moron and didn't know why that was called but just kept repeating the stupidity that I read on this board.

Maybe if they read positive posts they will repeat those and know enough to make noise and cheer after a made basket. There were 4 different occasions where one or another yelled don't shoot right before we hit a basket. You really think that helps or we need that negativity? I wanted to knock them all out. But I kept my cool and cheered for RU instead.

10-10 gets you on the bubble but not necessarily the right side of it. At least in the conversation though.
I suppose, but we could also go 10-10 without picking up another Q1 win. I think 10-10 would require a win at Purdue or H/A vs. Wisconsin

Zap, I respect your opinion but on this last point we disagree somewhat. I’d put the fans positive influence on a player at 5%, rather than having no impact at all. I say this for two reasons:
1. If fans don’t matter, where does home court advantage come from?
2. In these days of social media dominance, players get to read what their fans are saying about them (as opposed to just a few quotes from sportswriters).
This. Someone on this board says something and then It becomes the reality in the minds of some who know nothing about the game.

We have a great fan base who obviously don't post on this board. Most of our fans are positive and help lift the team. That is why Pike breaks cell phones. I truly hope the players pay no attention the 4 losers I refer to from yesterday. Total dorks. No Basketball IQ. Just negative BS they read here.

flux, is this based solely on our 2-6 start without regard to which teams we’ve played (and which ones we have left to play)?
It's based on taking the average probability for each of our remaining games from T-Rank and Massey Ratings and then running simulations.

It's based on taking the average probability for each of our remaining games from T-Rank and Massey Ratings and then running simulations.
Ok, thanks. So cumulatively speaking, according to those simulations, we have a 28% chance of getting at least 8 conference wins. Even without my homeristic view, that seems low.

For example, it seems entirely reasonable to me, that Rutgers could go 5-1 at home and 1-5 on the road in our remaining 12 games. So, I’d put the odds a lot higher that we would get to 8 wins.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. So cumulatively speaking, according to those simulations, we have a 28% chance of getting at least 8 conference wins. Even without my homeristic view, that seems low.

For example, it seems entirely reasonable to me, that Rutgers could go 5-1 at home and 1-5 on the road in our remaining 12 games. So, I’d put the odds at 50% that we would get to 8 wins.
You are being homeristic.

5 of our 8 B1G games we were down 14+ in the 1st half.

MSU (not one of the 5) we lost by 18.

Right now we are real bad and showing no signs of getting better.

I am done with pointing to runs we make when we are down by 20. Human nature, teams let up when up big. When push comes to shove we are 10-15+ points worse than the top 1/2 of the conference.

i think you may be wrong here....a lot of those stadium held a ton
'
EDIT: you are right

AstrodomeHouston Astros1965199954,816$95 MillionAstroTurf330-400-330
Dodger StadiumLos Angeles Dodgers196256,000$23 MillionGrass330-400-330
Qualcomm StadiumSan Diego Padres1969200356,133$27.8 MillionGrass327-405-330
H.H.H. MetrodomeMinnesota Twins1982200956,144$68 MillionFieldTurf343-408-327
Yankee StadiumNew York Yankees1923200856,937$50 MillionGrass318-408-314
Shea StadiumNew York Mets1964200857,333$28.5 MillionGrass325-404-325
Candlestick ParkSan Francisco Giants1960199957,546$21.1 MillionGrass335-400-330
KingdomeSeattle Mariners1977199959,100$67 MillionAstroTurf330-410-330
Veterans StadiumPhiladelphia Phillies1971200362,623$50 MillionNexTurf330-408-330
Cleveland MunicipalCleveland Indians1932199374,400$11.6 MillionGrass320-404-320
I think attendance may have been less in those days

I am done with pointing to runs we make when we are down by 20. Human nature, teams let up when up big. When push comes to shove we are 10-15+ points worse than the top 1/2 of the conference.
You’re right about runs when we’re down big, but you have to consider the strength of the teams we’ve played so far, and where (and when) we’ve played them, versus the games we have left.

We need a magical run in the BIG tournament . Need to be playing on selection Sunday to have a chance

For example, it seems entirely reasonable to me, that Rutgers could go 5-1 at home and 1-5 on the road in our remaining 12 games. So, I’d put the odds a lot higher that we would get to 8 wins.
These are the probabilities that were used:
Penn St 63%
at Michigan 30%
at Maryland 27%
Wisconsin 34%
Northwestern 49%
at Minnesota 39%
at Purdue 6%
Maryland 53%
Michigan 56%
at Nebraska 30%
at Wisconsin 16%
Ohio St 47%

If you want to provide alternate probabilities I can run the sims with them.

Meh, I think the final scores are more illustrative than just pointing at the worst point of the game.

Reactions: kcg88
Understood.

However the offensive adjusted stats dont lie.

We are just horrific offensively. I just dont see that changing.
No doubt our offense sucks other than in occasional spurts. Looking at flux’s probability post above, we have a 51% chance of winning at least 7 conference games.

I’m suggesting with our defense we’ll get enough good offense to win at least 8, with an outside shot to get as many as 10, depending on the health/performance of Mag and the potential availability of JWill and Ogbole.

No doubt our offense sucks other than in occasional spurts. Looking at flux’s probability post above, we have a 51% chance of winning at least 7 conference games.

I’m suggesting with our defense we’ll get enough good offense to win at least 8, with an outside shot to get as many as 10, depending on the health/performance of Mag and the potential availability of JWill and Ogbole.
If we truly are giving 20 minutes to Gavin in these B1G games ahead AND Gavin doesn't improve defensively be prepared for us to give up a lot of points.

Gavin has been that bad on defense. There is a reason why, until now, he hasn't been playing. He was beyond awful a week ago against Illinois.

Everyone is seeing what they want to see. The reality is Oskar, until now, has been getting Gavin's minutes because Pike thinks we are much better with Oskar on the floor over Gavin.

Penn State is going to win on Wednesday. They aren't good enough to just play like they want to play and win. They will tailor their game plan to attack our weaknesses. I WANT TO BE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! Unless something has magically changed gavin is going to get abused.

These are the probabilities that were used:
Penn St 63%
at Michigan 30%
at Maryland 27%
Wisconsin 34%
Northwestern 49%
at Minnesota 39%
at Purdue 6%
Maryland 53%
Michigan 56%
at Nebraska 30%
at Wisconsin 16%
Ohio St 47%

If you want to provide alternate probabilities I can run the sims with them.
My own probabilities:
Penn St 67%
at Michigan 50%
at Maryland 35%
Wisconsin 50%
Northwestern 55%
at Minnesota 40%
at Purdue 10%
Maryland 55%
Michigan 65%
at Nebraska 40%
at Wisconsin 25%
Ohio St 60%

Sim me up!

My own probabilities:
Penn St 67%
at Michigan 50%
at Maryland 35%
Wisconsin 50%
Northwestern 55%
at Minnesota 40%
at Purdue 10%
Maryland 55%
Michigan 65%
at Nebraska 40%
at Wisconsin 25%
Ohio St 60%

Sim me up!
This gives roughly 12% for 10+ wins

lol no

are you actually saying last years vs this years team is the same

this is absolutely comical from you at this point. Last year RU WON AT PURDUE....END OF DISCUSSION

incredibly bizarre take and we had net in the top 30 last year at this team

off the deep end...admit your loss here and move on

Prisoners of the moment don't account for the entire season.

I don't view Purdue as some elite program, which is disconnect #1....

Did Purdue impress you in the NCAAs 3 years ago.....2 years ago.....last year.....??? Even yesterday, I wasn't impressed with Purdue whatsoever.

Purdue is a Top 30 program with a unique, once an every 10 to 20 year 4 year college player. A player who's not good enough to be a 1 or 2 and done player and off to the NBA....

I would highly suggest a reality check on actual talent....Purdue is a balanced, safe, sturdy roster where the 2nd best player is close in talent to the 9th or 10th player. But remove Edey from camping out in the lane for 5 to 6 seconds in the paint or remove Edey from Purdue and that's a borderline NIT roster with its remaining parts.

Last edited:
If we truly are giving 20 minutes to Gavin in these B1G games ahead AND Gavin doesn't improve defensively be prepared for us to give up a lot of points.

Gavin has been that bad on defense. There is a reason why, until now, he hasn't been playing. He was beyond awful a week ago against Illinois.

Everyone is seeing what they want to see. The reality is Oskar, until now, has been getting Gavin's minutes because Pike thinks we are much better with Oskar on the floor over Gavin.

Penn State is going to win on Wednesday. They aren't good enough to just play like they want to play and win. They will tailor their game plan to attack our weaknesses. I WANT TO BE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! Unless something has magically changed gavin is going to get abused.

Guess what...if we dont attack Penn St offensively we lose

They are a very different team..heavy on offense light on D

Did Purdue impress you in the NCAAs 3 years ago.....2 years ago.....last year.....??? Even yesterday, I wasn't impressed with Purdue whatsoever.

Purdue is a Top 30 program with a unique, once an every 10 to 20 year 4 year college player. A player who's not good enough to be a 1 or 2 and done player and off to the NBA....

I would highly suggest a reality check on actual talent....Purdue is a balanced, safe, sturdy roster where the 2nd best player is close in talent to the 9th or 10th player. But remove Edey from camping out in the lane for 5 to 6 seconds in the paint or remove Edey from Purdue and that's a borderline NIT roster with its remaining parts.

Lol last year they were #1 or 2 and we won there

At this time last year we had a ncaa resume that put up anywhere from a 6 to 9 seed

Today we are 10-9

Reactions: Scangg
Guess what...if we dont attack Penn St offensively we lose

They are a very different team..heavy on offense light on D
if we score 1.01 points per possession and give up .99 points per possession we win.

If they are heavy on O and they have a perimeter attack and have multiple scorers this is a terrible matchup for Gavin.

All true, but #15 is on the roster.

Reactions: Scangg
It should. My simulator thing is actually on my work computer lol so I’ll give you the full breakdown tomorrow.
If you have time, it would be interesting to see how the odds compare to the odds of us getting the autobid.

And so far, as opposed to recent years, Vegas seems to agree

One of your worst posts. So by analogy, remove LeBron from the teams he's been on and those teams are mediocre. Got it. The team is who the team is and with Edey they've been top 5, while Purdue has been a consistent top 10-15 team since around 2010, i.e., years before Edey arrived and only really had one hiccup in 2019-2020, where they failed to make the NCAAs or be in the top 10-15. Sounds pretty elite to me other than not having always done well in the tourney.

Bart says .1%

That’s probably factoring in a high probability that we don’t finish in the top 10. I was more thinking that in reality the chance of us getting hot and winning 4 straight neutral games is probably similar to the chance that we sustain enough continuous success to win 8 of our next 12 with 6 road game in the mix.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Lol last year they were #1 or 2 and we won there

At this time last year we had a ncaa resume that put up anywhere from a 6 to 9 seed

Today we are 10-9
We were inflated at the mid point last season and came back to earth the second half. The whole body of work was an NIT team that made an early exit losing at home to Hofstra. Let’s evaluate at the end of the season for a true comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT