ADVERTISEMENT

Why can’t we still finish 10-10 in the B1G?

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Sure, it’s an uphill climb, but isn’t it possible to win out at home while picking up two road wins?

Not throwing in the towel unless and until we get our 11th B1G loss.

As a fan I look at it the same way as our coaches and players do…with optimism.

Last edited:
Sure, it’s an uphill climb, but isn’t it possible to win out at home while picking up two road wins?

Not throwing in the towel unless and until we get our 11th B1G loss.

As a fan I look at it the same way as our coaches and players do…with optimism.
Maryland on the road will now clearly be a very unlikely game to snag given their recent play. Sweep the Wolverines (unlikely) and upset somebody else on the road and the do some damage in the BigTen tournament in Minneapolis and you’re a bubble team at least…so there’s still a chance. Worst loss of the season so far is neutral court vs Princeton who is playing very well. Mississippi St just beat a top 10 Auburn team.

I have a decent sample size and the probability of repeating that often is quite low
Then that’s on coaching.

If we don’t run similar sets in the next game then seriously what’s the point in this continuing further…

I have a decent sample size and the probability of repeating that often is quite low
The sample we had of Mag before these last two games was that we should have expected 12 points and 6 rebounds. If we got that from him today we probably win.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Let’s revisit this topic in a week IF we get a sweep against Penn state and Michigan

Personally …IF we get to 4-6/12-9, I still think the goal would be at that point to go 4-6 in the second 10 game and finish 16-15….

Right now …if we can start to put together some games in the 70s where we don’t have a single digit stretch over any 10 minute period , then I’ll start to get optimistic again

Make the makable shots !!!

We just don't have great shooters, either in close or from three or from the FT line. It is what it is and I have trouble seeing anything to fix that unless Gavin starts going off (I think he has the potential to be a very good shooter). So while we'll have some good shooting games like SHU or good shooting halves like today, we're going to have to rely on our defense and just enough offense for wins and that likely means not that many wins, which makes 10-10 a tall order. Would love to see it, but I don't think we'll do better than 8 B1G wins at this point.

Let’s revisit this topic in a week IF we get a sweep against Penn state and Michigan

Personally …IF we get to 4-6/12-9, I still think the goal would be at that point to go 4-6 in the second 10 game and finish 16-15….

Right now …if we can start to put together some games in the 70s where we don’t have a single digit stretch over any 10 minute period , then I’ll start to get optimistic again

Make the makable shots !!!
Beating Penn State and Michigan this week is a must to realistically keep postseason hopes alive.

Our offense was humming (at times) against Ohio State and Nebraska too and the carryover has been non-existent.
After Ohio State we scored 77 at Iowa. After Nebraska we played at Illinois. Hard to judge from that. You may be right but let’s see how we do against Penn State.

The shooting percentages of the team and players doesn't suggest more consistent offensive performances in future games.Better talent is the answer but that won't occur until next season.The harsh reality is that the team might have to overcome long scoring droughts to win any game which puts added pressure on the defense.

This is what I will root for. That's what good fans want. The aholes sitting near me yesterday were not real RU fans. Only game they came to and no cheering just jeering. Pathetic. Oh, and they were saying all the garbage I see here on this board.

Negativity breeds negativity. Positivity breeds positivity. Keep up the good work Billy.

I think the last 12 games need to be grouped into 3 games at a time

Penn State
at Michigan
at Maryland

RU needs to be beat Penn State. It would be demoralizing for the program and fanbase if it cannot. But another question is can it pick up a win in one of the other two road games. Maryland is getting better by the minute and their strength is their D and that does not bode well for RU. Michigan is having a rough season and has been highly erratic even at home. Its a 50/50 type game but RU has never won there. 2-1 would be the goal here and if you want post season, Michigan is a game you have to win.

Wisconsin
Northwestern
at Minnesota

Tough stretch, although the first two are at the RAC, those are top 4 league schools. The matchups do not look good on paper but I still believe RU is going to upset a big name this year. I like the idea of splitting the first 2. RU has lost at Minnesota for 2 straight years and the Gophers are vastly improved. Its a game that RU could win but will they? 1-2 in this stretch might not be so bad considering the alternative of 0-3

at Purdue
Maryland
Michigan

Purdue on the road is an auto loss but coming back to the RAC. Maryland as mentioned before is tougher and they have won at the RAC before but sometimes are vulnerable on the road. Michigan at home absolutely is a must win. If RU wants to go post season they might have to go 2-1

at Nebraska
at Wisconsin
Ohio State

tougher end to the season. I dont like RUs chances to win at Nebraska or Wisconsin. Ohio State is not good and I expect RU to win that game. 1-2 here is the call.

so get to NIT selection I think RU needs a 17-14 finish which means going 7-5 the rest of the way

2-1
1-2
2-1
1-2

even giving them the optimistic case of winning at Michigan and beating Maryland at the RAC that still gets me to 6 wins...finding that 7th is going to mean finding a another road win somewhere at Minnesota or Nebraska. Its going to be tough given the inconsistency of this team.

16-15 might place them on nit bubble, I believe low and mid level conference tourney regular season champs who do not win their conference tourneys are no longer given auto bids to the NIT so that may change the dynamic of the NIT field but not sure if a 17-16 type record would be enough.

Honestly love the OP's optimism. I think we all go to the games in hope of the turnaround that you are envisioning. Just hard to see it with the talent level that we have, especially since I'm not sure we have the Mag back that we lost last season.

This is what I will root for. That's what good fans want. The aholes sitting near me yesterday were not real RU fans. Only game they came to and no cheering just jeering. Pathetic. Oh, and they were saying all the garbage I see here on this board.

Negativity breeds negativity. Positivity breeds positivity. Keep up the good work Billy.
Success and confidence builds positivity and optimism…. Even during loses.
It’s transferred from players to fans, not the other way around.
Fans will never have a thing to do with the overall success of a player.

Fans will never have a thing to do with the overall success of a player.
Zap, I respect your opinion but on this last point we disagree somewhat. I’d put the fans positive influence on a player at 5%, rather than having no impact at all. I say this for two reasons:
1. If fans don’t matter, where does home court advantage come from?
2. In these days of social media dominance, players get to read what their fans are saying about them (as opposed to just a few quotes from sportswriters).

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Zap, I respect your opinion but on this last point we disagree somewhat. I’d put the fans positive influence on a player at 5%, rather than having no impact at all. I say this for two reasons:
1. If fans don’t matter, where does home court advantage come from?
2. In these days of social media dominance, players get to read what their fans are saying about them (as opposed to just a few quotes from sportswriters).
Home court advantage is a direct result of the fans responding to the play on the court.

16-15 might place them on nit bubble, I believe low and mid level conference tourney regular season champs who do not win their conference tourneys are no longer given auto bids to the NIT so that may change the dynamic of the NIT field but not sure if a 17-16 type record would be enough.
interesting...good info.

Home court advantage is a direct result of the fans responding to the play on the court.
Yes, and that’s why I say 95% players, 5% fans. I have witnessed many times at the RAC, as you have, the home crowd giving our guys a much needed boost, especially on defense, after one nice offensive play lights the flame.

I've seen cases, at the RAC, where the crowd has willed players and gave them a 'pick me up' especially on the defensive end. I still agree with your original premise, but i don't think it's so black and white.

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
Zap has played in MLB stadiums filled in front of 60K fans rooting him and his teammates on. His opinions carry a lot of weight on such topics...

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
In order likely to unlikely

Q3 Vs Penn St
Q3 vs Michigan
Q2 Vs Ohio St
Q3 vs Maryland
Q2 @ Minnesota
Q2 @ Michigan
Q2 vs Northwestern
Q2 @ Maryland
Q1 Vs Wisconsin
Q1 @ Nebraska
Q1 @ Wisconsin
Q1 @ Purdue

8 wins are there, we always matchup well vs Purdue and vs Wisconsin, home or road. for whatever reason, I think we steal one of of the remaining three. Penn St, Michigan, Maryland and Ohio St at home should be the easiest. If we win @ Michigan, it gives us momentum into the @ Maryland game, a place we have won @ in 20-21 and 21-22 and lost at home later in the year, won our only game at home 22-23. If we win @ Maryland, we might lose the home game vs MD. @ Minnesota is winnable could be 7, the only game vs Minn. The 8th could be either @ Nebraska or vs NW.

It's only terrible if you think we would be an NCAA team this season. Most pundits had RU finishing No. 9 or No. 10 in the B1G standings... and that appears to be where RU will finish.

That's where RU was selected preseason the season before that as well.

There's literally no difference from the eye test of most of this season vs last season, other than scheduling two other variable OOC games.

If RU is 13-7 & 2-6 in the B1G, with 2 games vs Illinois, one at MIchigan State, one at Ohio State and hosting Purdue, the BEST case scenario most RU fans would have had, was 3-5 in the B1G, knowing what each team looks like now.

The B1G schedule is also much more difficult this year vs last year.....last year we drew Penn State twice, Minnesota twice, Northwestern twice and Ohio State twice. While PSU and NW made the NCAAs, it was a much easier slate last year. And with that said, with Minnesota having their best player back in the 2nd matchup, we still somehow coughed up that game.

Add to it going to Seton Hall, going to Wake Forest this year, vs hosting both programs last year and the record could have likely looked exactly like this year's current record, if those OOC home games, were road games last year.

Adding Mississippi State and Princeton, while helping our OOC vs last years, kinda takes the NCAAs off the table. If RU scheduled easier like they had in previous season's, there would still be bundles of Q1 opportunities to steal games and get to a 19 win level. 19 wins with Princeton, Mississippi State, at SHU and at Wake, was too much for this revamped roster.

Reactions: RU84

There's literally no difference from the eye test of most of this season vs last season, other than scheduling two other variable OOC games.
How can you say that! This time last year we were rolling. We were fully healthy and beating good teams and dominating mediocre teams.

NCAA tournament was almost a given and talks of winning a National Championship were being had.

This year we go down 15 to every team and fans are excited when a player goes 3-11 from the field.

Zap has played in MLB stadiums filled in front of 60K fans rooting him and his teammates on. His opinions carry a lot of weight on such topics...
Probably more than 50K a few times. I doubt he ever played in front of 60K. MLB stadiums aren't that big. The only venue that had a baseball capacity over 60K was Municipal Stadium in Cleveland.

Reactions: dconifer and zappaa
It's only terrible if you think we would be an NCAA team this season. Most pundits had RU finishing No. 9 or No. 10 in the B1G standings... and that appears to be where RU will finish.
It’s terribile no matter what the expectations are . If you’re expected to stink and then stink… Guess what you still stink.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs

If RU is 13-7 & 2-6 in the B1G, with 2 games vs Illinois, one at MIchigan State, one at Ohio State and hosting Purdue, the BEST case scenario most RU fans would have had, was 3-5 in the B1G, knowing what each team looks like now.

The B1G schedule is also much more difficult this year vs last year.....last year we drew Penn State twice, Minnesota twice, Northwestern twice and Ohio State twice. While PSU and NW made the NCAAs, it was a much easier slate last year. And with that said, with Minnesota having their best player back in the 2nd matchup, we still somehow coughed up that game.

Add to it going to Seton Hall, going to Wake Forest this year, vs hosting both programs last year and the record could have likely looked exactly like this year's current record, if those OOC home games, were road games last year.

Adding Mississippi State and Princeton, while helping our OOC vs last years, kinda takes the NCAAs off the table. If RU scheduled easier like they had in previous season's, there would still be bundles of Q1 opportunities to steal games and get to a 19 win level. 19 wins with Princeton, Mississippi State, at SHU and at Wake, was too much for this revamped roster.
lol no

are you actually saying last years vs this years team is the same

this is absolutely comical from you at this point. Last year RU WON AT PURDUE....END OF DISCUSSION

incredibly bizarre take and we had net in the top 30 last year at this team

off the deep end...admit your loss here and move on

10-10/11-9 also doesn’t automatically get you on the bubble like in years past, even without RU’s typically non-con blemishes. The B1G probably only gets 6/7 teams this year, and RU is 1-8 (?) in Quad 1 right now, meaning they’d effectively have to win all Q1 games

Probably more than 50K a few times. I doubt he ever played in front of 60K. MLB stadiums aren't that big. The only venue that had a baseball capacity over 60K was Municipal Stadium in Cleveland.
i think you may be wrong here....a lot of those stadium held a ton
'
EDIT: you are right

AstrodomeHouston Astros1965199954,816$95 MillionAstroTurf330-400-330
Dodger StadiumLos Angeles Dodgers1962 56,000$23 MillionGrass330-400-330
Qualcomm StadiumSan Diego Padres1969200356,133$27.8 MillionGrass327-405-330
H.H.H. MetrodomeMinnesota Twins1982200956,144$68 MillionFieldTurf343-408-327
Yankee StadiumNew York Yankees1923200856,937$50 MillionGrass318-408-314
Shea StadiumNew York Mets1964200857,333$28.5 MillionGrass325-404-325
Candlestick ParkSan Francisco Giants1960199957,546$21.1 MillionGrass335-400-330
KingdomeSeattle Mariners1977199959,100$67 MillionAstroTurf330-410-330
Veterans StadiumPhiladelphia Phillies1971200362,623$50 MillionNexTurf330-408-330
Cleveland MunicipalCleveland Indians1932199374,400$11.6 MillionGrass320-404-320

I think the last 12 games need to be grouped into 3 games at a time

Penn State
at Michigan
at Maryland

RU needs to be beat Penn State. It would be demoralizing for the program and fanbase if it cannot. But another question is can it pick up a win in one of the other two road games. Maryland is getting better by the minute and their strength is their D and that does not bode well for RU. Michigan is having a rough season and has been highly erratic even at home. Its a 50/50 type game but RU has never won there. 2-1 would be the goal here and if you want post season, Michigan is a game you have to win.

Wisconsin
Northwestern
at Minnesota

Tough stretch, although the first two are at the RAC, those are top 4 league schools. The matchups do not look good on paper but I still believe RU is going to upset a big name this year. I like the idea of splitting the first 2. RU has lost at Minnesota for 2 straight years and the Gophers are vastly improved. Its a game that RU could win but will they? 1-2 in this stretch might not be so bad considering the alternative of 0-3

at Purdue
Maryland
Michigan

Purdue on the road is an auto loss but coming back to the RAC. Maryland as mentioned before is tougher and they have won at the RAC before but sometimes are vulnerable on the road. Michigan at home absolutely is a must win. If RU wants to go post season they might have to go 2-1

at Nebraska
at Wisconsin
Ohio State

tougher end to the season. I dont like RUs chances to win at Nebraska or Wisconsin. Ohio State is not good and I expect RU to win that game. 1-2 here is the call.

so get to NIT selection I think RU needs a 17-14 finish which means going 7-5 the rest of the way

2-1
1-2
2-1
1-2

even giving them the optimistic case of winning at Michigan and beating Maryland at the RAC that still gets me to 6 wins...finding that 7th is going to mean finding a another road win somewhere at Minnesota or Nebraska. Its going to be tough given the inconsistency of this team.

This is a good way of putting it.

To the OP’s original question, 8-4 seems very unlikely. At that point, we may as well set our sights on the autobid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT