ADVERTISEMENT

GG to portal?

Listen to Richie’s podcast. The kid is worried about PT next year as he should be if we succeed in bringing in a handful of proven players. It’s out there on the podcast for all to hear. This isn’t about a NIL check somewhere else which should come as no surprise. Gavin doesn’t have the resume for a big payday at this point. Those speculating otherwise are likely not correct.

Again - the podcast is pretty much speculation and mostly opinion on how Gavin might be thinking given the situation. Not sure why people continue to run with it as if its a fully baked decision.

OT: I-695 Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses

This is long on hyperbole and short on facts. Sounds like she is being fed a lot of BS by Neocon warmongers.

Sure, this could be terrorism but she doesn't know shshit.
Not to mention, terrorists go after people not bridges. And unless someone was able to take control of the ship as opposed to just kill power, it's a long shot that the ship would actually hit the bridge supports like it did.

Don't look RU fans ...The "RU doesn’t run offense claim is DEBUNKED .....

By the way, I’m not one of the guys that beats the “Rutgers doesn’t run an offense” drum.

If you watch the NCAA Tournament, MOST of the teams run the same sets we run — high ball screens, pick and roll, dribble penetration, iso ball, and the occasional down screen. It’s just that the tournament teams have better offensive players who can shoot from the outside and have the touch to convert shots in the paint and at the rim.

There are only a few teams that run highly complex offensive sets.
I agree we do/did get plenty of open looks during the season we just don’t have shooters
Could we run more sets to get people open sure but with Dylan and Ace next year and 2 good gets from the portal Pikiell could potentially look like an offensive genius lol
Reactions: RUDiddy777

Transfer Portal Thread - Portal Now Open (Chol, Simpson, Wolf, Mag, Cliff, Griffiths)

I can understand that...but unless it's something crazy I'd hold on to Gavin the risk vs the possible reward makes me think you should hold on to this asset.

I’m not disagreeing in principle, but it’s not as simple as that.

Listen to Richie’s podcast. They flat out state this isn’t about NIL. They say Gavin is supposed to have a meeting with Pike to discuss his PT concerns for next year (or something to that effect).

So no - this isn’t a simple case of throwing a security pile of NIL money Gavin’s way as a sort of “retention bonus” to keep the kid parked here. The kid is obviously concerned about the caliber of portal kids we’re targeting. Ironically, he probably would’ve felt more secure if we kept Derek and Chol around.
Reactions: Jerseylegends

I happen to agree with you that RU runs an offense and it's talent, but I'm not sure any of it is debunked by this post. A good player is a good player, they get theirs. Many of these guys saw their #'s go down because they went to teams with more talent.

Eugene's offensive numbers at Oregon were far above anything he put up at RU, a TS% at least 5% higher than anything he'd done and his Efg% was like 10% higher. He doubled his 3PA rate and shot it much better.

Montez TS% and Efg% were both a decent amount higher at St. Johns than they were at RU

Young's career year was his final year at RU, no doubt

Mulcahy and Johnson weren't guys that shoot, they were both more facilitators.

Most of the above is probably more a result of maturity than anything else.
Mathis got into a run and gun system with Mike Anderson at St John's, nothing more than that.

Mulcahy fell off a cliff at Washington, in a faster paced offense and a likely weaker conference in the Pac 12.

At some point, if something isn't supported with something other than facts, why should it be claimed as a fact??

Myles Johnson ran into UCLAs system and Mick Cronin, who runs a much slower.and actually worse offense than Pike and RU.....but he went home for grad school and educational reasons, much more than coaching styles, so he might not be the best example, but he fits the profile of someone who "should" have played better in Year 4 of his career.

Breaking news.....a myth is being debunked with actual evidence that doesn't support the fans who think "RU doesn't run an offense etc..."....In order to make such a wild claim, shouldn't there actually be evidence supporting that item??

Here are the actual facts....there have been 5 known or relevant RU players in recent years who hit the portal.....and in almost all of them, the players produced at the same level OR their efficiency or production went DOWN after leaving RU. I won't bore you with the stats, the 5 players are

Myles Johnson
Montez Mathis
Jacob Young
Paul Mulcahy
Eugene Omoyuri

The argument that Eugene somehow learned offense at Oregon after a full redshirt season, while learning how to actually play basketball without doible dribbling as a freshmen, is pretty funny. So take Eugene out and all 5 players saw most of their efficiency or numbers decrease after leaving RU....that doesn't support the "RU doesn't run an offense, if others are doing it elsewhere, why aren't those players and their numbers increasing......HMMMM

Let's take a more recent comparison, since others claim that UConn "adjusted their offense.....they did not.....they adjusted and shed poor guards who were 4* kids and weren't efficient like Rashool Diggins (Umass) and Corey Floyd Jr (Providence)....which brings me to the horrible part of Cam Spencer....don't look, you may be shocked

Spencer stats for the most part are identical to last year, which collpases any argument about coaching, offense or anything, because Spencer numbers should be WAY better at UCONN, right?? WRONG.....

He averaged 10 shot attempts per game last year at RU....same 10 shot attempts per game at UConn this year

From 3.. .Spencer shot 43.4 at RU....he shooting 44.0 at UConn...

PPG 14.4 at UConn.....13.2 at RU...

Same minutes per game....31.5 RU, 32.7 UConn...

89.4 FT at RU, 91.5 at UConn with the same number of attempts per game (not a lot)

4.5 RPG at UCONN, 3.8 at RU

3.6 AST at UCONN to 3.1 at RU

Once I factor in that UConn is the overwhelming favorite and Spencer has the best roster kr supporting cast, does that support the argument on "Pike doesn't run good offense"??

I'll wait to see where the drastic difference in production is, to support that argument. The fact is, it is NOT a lack of coaching, it is talent on the floor.

If fans want to bang poor recruiting, go for it.....but if a 4th and 5th year senior season for Cam Spencer is essentially the same, the argument is essentially useless.
Brian Fonseca had a big rant about this on the NJ.com podcast with Politi. He was mocking the people saying the offensive scheme was to blame and not the players. Literally mocking.
Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT