ADVERTISEMENT

15 Years Ago in Rutgers Football History

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
The October 15, 1976 Targum reported, “During the 1973 season, his first as head coach, (Frank) Burns witnessed the worst beating ever handed one of his squads, when Colgate rolled up a 42-0 victory at Rutgers Stadium. When the Red Raiders returned to Rutgers Stadium, the following year, Burns felt it only fitting that he comply in a similar manner. The result was 781 yard offensive show in which the Scarlet Knights retaliated by scoring more points than any Rutgers team since 1949 in a 62-21 win.”

It wasn’t until December 4, 2008 when Rutgers thumped Louisville 63-14 and topped that performance.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
That was the Bon Jovi kid’s big night with the Erin Andrews interview !!
Where is he now ?

Wow. Hard to believe it's been that long. Good to see he's still among the Scarlet faithful.

I was at that 1973 Colgate game. My brother & I were kids, but we stayed with our father through the whole game in the pouring rain..
The star of the the game for Colgate was Mark Van Eeghen. He had well over 200 yards - the best performance by visiting RB that I have witnessed to this day!
As an Oakland (Vegas) Raider Fan, even back then, I was happy when he joined the Silver & Black - following in the footsteps of Marc Hubbard, another Colgate RB..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT