ADVERTISEMENT

2008- Chris Paul Etienne Should Be QB

Originally posted by Pils86:
Pulling up old threads is interesting but it can lead to some embarrassment for those that made the wrong call and could lead to paybacks. Did Knight Shift predict Savon Huggins stardom? Me, I don't take this board too seriously but some do.

In 2008 the team started 1-5 with its only win against Morgan St. Teel was a 5th year senior but in the first 6 games he completied about 55% of his passes and had thrown 3 touchdowns and 7 ints. It was not unreasonable to ask for a change during the first six games. Even in game 7 Teel was not good or bad but we lucked out with bad FG kicking by UConn. Teel played as well as any qb at RU the last 6 games so he did salvage the season but we probably go 11-1 if he played that way all year.

I was good with putting in Dodd in 2013 as Nova was really playing poorly. UConn he was not good but the equipment manager gets some blame as the team was slip sliding on the frozen turf. USF he was great. ND not good, I would have subbed in Nova at some point. ND was a winnable game and it would have been huge to beat them for perception and to have a winning record for the season.
I had no intention of embarrassing anyone. As I said, now for the third time, I was surprised that Schiano stood by Teel after the 2008 start. I don't recall being all that caught up in the decision at the time.

I don't think I was posting here when we recruited Savon. But I stand by every single post I made on this board, because I am 100% right 100% of the time.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Great find!I went to the CE board,where I saw my thread showing that I had picked Palin when most of the world went for Pawlenty.I also picked Quayle in 1988 and Kemp in 1996.My record is not as good on the other side.

For all that think these old threads will cause trouble...there is a reason that there are certain posters who are on the opposite side of the fence then me are still some of my favorite posters. Bac/Joe and I have been in some epic battles. They would easily be in the negatoid/realist side while I would be a positiod/scarlet glasses kind of guy.

And both of them have come on these threads KS posted having good fun at themselves and are enjoying the posts. I have yet to see any brow beating of anyone for these old threads and in most cases, we are laughing at ourselves. Enjoy the capsule of history and laugh at it if by chance you posted in them.

Yes-agreed 111%. Funny thing is we're probably not as far apart as we think, but I definitely can be jaded at times. This lookback was pretty cool and showed exactly why I'm not coaching D1A football...but I also think it showed that my 'fan insight' is relatively accurate/ strong. I loved the info you posted in the other thread; it was very interesting to get an inside perspective of what was going on at the time (and thank you for sharing).

It's stuff like this that really helps make this place something cool.

Joe P.

I don't see any reason anyone should be embarrassed for thinking that way at the time. People's memories are funny; Teel - and the team -- and that quarterback -- caught fire after UConn's kicker hit the post with a kick that, had it been inches to the side, would have left us 1-6, with the only win over Morgan State. And you wonder why people want the QB benched? Come on, people. Hindsight is 20-20. That team didn't top 21 points in its first six (except Morgan State), then didn't score under 30 until the bowl game. NOBODY saw what was coming.

vs. Fresno State 20-39-2, 263 0 TD L 24-7
vs. North Carolina 25-40-3, 243 1 TD L 44-12
vs. Navy 13-20-1, 131, 0 TD, L 23-21
vs. West Virginia 14-32, 170, 1 TD, 1 sack, L 24-17
vs. Cincinnati 19-35, 175 3 sacks, 0 TD L, 13-10
vs. UConn 17-30, 192 0 TD W, 12-10

People, that is NOT good. Who here, sitting there after UConn, thanking the football gods that we god damn lucky to be all of 2-5, could foresee the offensive machine that was about to get kicked into action? I defy any of you to tell me you knew Teel would catch fire and would become awesome for six games after six INTs and two TDs with mediocre passing yardage through seven games?

It was not an outrageous position to take. It worked out, but it's hard to believe ANYONE saw it coming and only would have stuck with Teel because, well, nobody else seemed like a better option. (And where have we heard that before?)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT