ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Recruiting Class has to be one of our best!

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
Everything is in place for a an excellent 2016 recruiting class:
-One of the most talented NJ crop of recruits in recent history
-A decade of winning Rutgers football: The 2016 graduates in the region were in 1st-2nd grade when RU started their breakout into winning football. They don't view RU as a perennial loser. Their view of RU football isn't tarnished like it may have been 10-15 years ago.
-The last NFL season gave further proof that RU is a viable stepping stone to get to the League.
-The Big Ten conference membership is here. Our schedule is full of some of the best teams in the nation.
-We held our own in the first year of the Big Ten. 8-5 record.
-Coach Flood has job stability and has had 3 years to hone his recruiting pitch
-The RU scandals around Mike Rice and the AD's have faded in the rear-view mirror

The most important thing is that after 3 underwhelming recruiting classes, we really have to get a top class in to compete and backfill the graduates from the excellent class of 2012. This staff has to do it. Actually, there are no more excuses left!

How dare you state the obvious. Prepare for the usual mediocrity enablers to stomp you down.

The last line is more or less it. The excuses have run out. Either the staff has the ability to reel in 4 star players at this point, or they dont. If they dont, then eventually we will have to move on.

Everything rides on this class, which will be directly correlated on this coming season.

for-whom-the-bell-tolls.jpg

This class will be the highest or damn near highest rated class ever. It still won't be good enough for many on here

Originally posted by ScarletStateofNJ:

The most important thing is that after 3 underwhelming recruiting classes, we really have to get a top class in to compete and backfill the graduates from the excellent class of 2012.
Define underwhelming for me. Somehow those underwhelming classes have led to that 8-5 B1G record that you speak off.

Originally posted by vkj91:
This class will be the highest or damn near highest rated class ever. It still won't be good enough for many on here
it never is.

very long time between now and signing day.

Originally posted by PhilaPhin the Bigns:

The most important thing is that after 3 underwhelming recruiting classes, we really have to get a top class in to compete and backfill the graduates from the excellent class of 2012.
Define underwhelming for me. Somehow those underwhelming classes have led to that 8-5 B1G record that you speak off.
Please stop. Rutgers was 3-5 in the Big Ten.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:

2015 Class- 53rd ranked class. 1 **** star player. No Top 10 NJ players
2014 Class- 57th ranked class. 0 **** star player. No Top 10 NJ players
2013 Class- 45th ranked class. 1 **** star player (Nadir Barnwell) One Top 10 NJ player (Nadir Barnwell)

Like I said- underwhelming.

The most important thing is that after 3 underwhelming recruiting classes, we really have to get a top class in to compete and backfill the graduates from the excellent class of 2012.Define underwhelming for me. Somehow those underwhelming classes have led to that 8-5 B1G record that you speak off.
2013 Class- 45th ranked class. 1 **** star player (Nadir Barnwell) One Top 10 NJ player (Nadir Barnwell)

2011...4 **** top 20 class......how did it perform?

The most important thing is that after 3 underwhelming recruiting classes, we really have to get a top class in to compete and backfill the graduates from the excellent class of 2012.Define underwhelming for me. Somehow those underwhelming classes have led to that 8-5 B1G record that you speak off.

They were the ones that led us to our vaunted 8-5 (3-5) record.

Originally posted by derleider:
The last line is more or less it. The excuses have run out. Either the staff has the ability to reel in 4 star players at this point, or they dont. If they dont, then eventually we will have to move on.
You are now officially set up to be labeled a "star-tard"
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The HC and staff will be judged on how the team performs on the field over the next few years. The recruiting needs to improve for RU to be good on the field in the B1G. However, for those that think that RU was going to start signing 6+ 4 or 5 star players every year because it is now in the B1G have their heads in the clouds. RU is a middle of the road Div1 program which got serious about competing 10 years ago. The step to championship level is much greater than many realize...and if that jump gets made...almost assuredly there will be questions raised and maybe NCAA involvment regarding the recruiting. It happened at Ole Miss, Oregon recently and has occured historically.

Originally posted by Ru2bnj:
The HC and staff will be judged on how the team performs on the field over the next few years. The recruiting needs to improve for RU to be good on the field in the B1G. However, for those that think that RU was going to start signing 6+ 4 or 5 star players every year because it is now in the B1G have their heads in the clouds. RU is a middle of the road Div1 program which got serious about competing 10 years ago. The step to championship level is much greater than many realize...and if that jump gets made...almost assuredly there will be questions raised and maybe NCAA involvment regarding the recruiting. It happened at Ole Miss, Oregon recently and has occured historically.
So if it's not recruiting it's?......... coaching

I filled in the blank for you.

Here is the simple answer to everything. Will Kyle Flood ever be a Power 5 Head Coach again......

Answer: No

Originally posted by drewbagel423:

They were the ones that led us to our vaunted 8-5 (3-5) record.
Really? By my rough estimate about 8 of them contributed this year. That's 8 of 24, NONE of the four star guys played, and of the 8, five were rated 5.6 or worse.

Originally posted by RUchip:
Here is the simple answer to everything. Will Kyle Flood ever be a Power 5 Head Coach again......

Answer: No
I understand how important recruiting is, but I also think it's fair to judge the coach solely on his on-field success. Flood has made a bowl game in each of his first three seasons, and won 8 games last season against the toughest schedule in school history. I know there will be counterarguments to that -- did it with Schiano's classes, can't recruit, etc -- but let's give the guy a little credit where it's due.

If it is higher than the last 3 classes that were ranked in the Mid 50's that will be damn fine by me.
Build on from there.

Originally posted by ScarletStateofNJ:Originally posted by PhilaPhans:

Knucklehead, the 2012 & 2011 classes is why we got to the last 2 Bowls. 2011 had Lumpkin, Kroft, Kaleb Johnson, Nova, Kirksey, Snydr, etc.

Originally posted by RU#1fan:

If it is higher than the last 3 classes that were ranked in the Mid 50's that will be damn fine by me.
Build on from there.
This is what I want as well, it is also very realistic. Flood should be able to at least do this.

Demanding top 25 classes is not realistic at this stage of the game.

Well, RU's B1G record was 3-5...with wins over 1-7 Indiana, 3-5 Michigan and 4-4 Maryland.

Knucklehead, the 2012 & 2011 classes is why we got to the last 2 Bowls. 2011 had Lumpkin, Kroft, Kaleb Johnson, Nova, Kirksey, Snydr, etc.
Mature. As I said i a prior post, virtually none of the kids who made that class highly ranked contributed. NOT one of the 4 stars produced. The guys you highlighted like Lumpkin, Kroft, and Snyder were all 5.5 Three stars and so was Stephenson. The exact type of recruits you people are saying we are now going to get killed because of. You realize a 5.4 is a two star?

Originally posted by Ru2bnj:
How about an average of 2 a year to start.

This is the issue with the "optimists". Somehow realistic expectations (RU in the Big Ten will recruit close to as well as it did in the Big East when the Big East was on the verge of completely breaking up) gets turned into - well you expect us to have top 10 recruiting classes every year which was never going to happen.

No one is expecting that. I do expect that RU, being in one of the top 3 recruiting states in the Big Ten and next to another one should be able to recruit at least in the top half of the Big Ten. We are not.

Again - no one is talking about championship level right now. But the classes we are recruiting are setting us up for non-bowl level, especially if PSU and Michigan improve like they look like they should.

With Michigan almost certain to improve with Harbaugh and Maryland likely to out recruit us, we are looking straight down the barrel at competing with Indy for last place in the East. PSU will improve coming off sanctions. Does anyone realistically think we will compete with the top tier teams (OSU, PSU, Michigan, Mich State) if we continue to recruit as we have done since Flood took over? We beat Michigan, Indy, and Maryland (huge comeback) in our initial season. Basically got blown out in 4 losses and lost to a depleted PSU. If things don't improve on the recruiting front, we will be looking back at 2014 as the good old days.

You had to expect our recruiting would improve after moving from uncertainty in the Big East/American to the B1G. Add in the awesome game day experiences for PSU and Michigan, you would think that recruits would be lining up. I still have hope that we will finish with a top 35 type class. That would allow us to compete with Indy and Maryland but not make a move against the other 3 teams in our division. This is a huge recruiting class in terms of whether Flood makes it here or not. To think otherwise is irrational.

I think some of you guys are looking at the wrong end of the star ratings from the recruiting perspective. While it would be great to get a bunch of four or even five star recruits, that should go in the wishful thinking bin. Great if it happens, but not something you want to have to go to the bank with. What we really ought to be looking at is the number of two star recruits that are coming in. The last two recruiting classes each had ten two stars according to Rivals commitment lists. That's just far too many. Sure, I can see the coaches taking a chance on an underrated recruit here and there, but you can't build a solid team making that many bets on talent. I think if the staff can cut the number of two stars to four or five or less in the 2016 class, that would be an incremental step forward in our recruiting. Any four or five stars on top of that would be gravy. Yeah, that doesn't sound so exciting, but right now incremental improvements are what we should be looking for.

Or in the 45-55 range, which will be fine with you since Flood is a nice guy and doing things the right way.

I didn't want to bring this up but Hester brother is a test. If we don't pass, there is no hope.

Originally posted by T2Kplus10:

Or in the 45-55 range, which will be fine with you since Flood is a nice guy and doing things the right way.
you don't need to speak for me. I've never said I am excited about recruiting the last few years. In fact, the thread I started talked about misses and the need to improve. Difference between us is I am realistic. Anybody with a pulse knew last years class wouldn't look great star wise because of the prior year's meltdown. It was quite obvious when we couldn't even get highly rated kids on campus. I have said and will continue to say, this year HAS to be different and I believe it will be. The recruits we have right now are very solid and have offers from top BCS programs. They are "top of the board" type recruits and a great base. We have had a steady stream of highly ranked kids visit and then come back again. Walker despite being committed, continues to come back to campus......
People like yourself, have continually said Flood's classes are going to set us back 10 years and it simply isn't true. As I said, this class will end up being the top or close to top class we have ever had, combined with his ability to find guys like Cole and Turay and we will be just fine. Great thing about this discussion is we can revisit it in Feb. Just like we were able to revisit the 3 win predictions, fired by midway predictions, and the a guy like Narduzzi would crush it in recruiting(check out his Pitt class)......of course, just like the 3 win predictions few will own up to it.

Mature. As I said i a prior post, virtually none of the kids who made that class highly ranked contributed. NOT one of the 4 stars produced. The guys you highlighted like Lumpkin, Kroft, and Snyder were all 5.5 Three stars and so was Stephenson. The exact type of recruits you people are saying we are now going to get killed because of. You realize a 5.4 is a two star?
So 4* Mera didn't contribute. 4* Shuler transferred and started to contribute at Northwestern. Lumpkin was 5.7 as was Gause, Kirksey, and Nova. Multiple recruits with multiple p5 offers is probably the best indicator and no can argue that the last very classes were very lightly recruited. Also a little early to anoint Cole a success story?

Originally posted by RUPartisan:

So 4* Mera didn't contribute. 4* Shuler transferred and started to contribute at Northwestern. Lumpkin was 5.7 as was Gause, Kirksey, and Nova. Multiple recruits with multiple p5 offers is probably the best indicator and no can argue that the last very classes were very lightly recruited. Also a little early to anoint Cole a success story?
missed Mera....great so one of them contributed. Are we really supposed to be excited that Shuler caught 20 passes at Northwestern? yes, as I said kids contributed but it doesn't change the kids who "made" that class didn't really produce on the field. Why can't you guys admit that? I love how last year there were countless threads about how three stars players aren't created equal and 5.5 and 5.6's are huge reaches and then you throw out 4 of them in your rational about how great that class was....makes no sense. I see now we are moving the discussion to P5 offers. The 2013 class had 6 kids without another P5 offer. Three of them are:
Cioffi
Goodwin
Turret

Wiafe is a 4th

Originally posted by RUfan121:

How dare you state the obvious. Prepare for the usual mediocrity enablers to stomp you down.
Please define what a mediocrity enabler is. Do you think that you have any more effect on how the program performs than someone who has a different viewpoint on this board?

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

Please stop. Rutgers was 3-5 in the Big Ten.
And was the ONLY Big Ten team to be 2-0 against out of conference Power 5 teams
There were some positives too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT