ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

Sounds like a great plan from a fans perspective. All except for the guy sitting in the stands come next March and that very well may be Cassar once again. If that scenario plays out he'll have exactly one appearance in the B1G's and NCAA's in his brief college career. Sometimes kids have to do what's best for them and not the fans.

We had that scenario here with Dippery leaving, he wasn't going to wrestle with Ashnault in front of him so he chose to transfer and is having a pretty good year. You simply can't stay waiting for an injury to occur, like you suggest in both wrestlers having a history of injuries. Everyone here understood and it became just bad timing on the injury front.

Also other teams have pretty good rooms as well. The arrogance to suggest or hint at that the only place he can meet his goals is in the psu room is quite obtuse. Plus how do you know if they were wrestling in a tournament setting, as opposed to a wrestle off in the practice room, where they see each other every day the outcome wouldn't be different? That's a big assumption on your part as a psu fan.
You are kinda arrogant yourself. Neither you nor I know what makes Cassar tick. Neither of us know what his goals in life are and what makes him happy. I think he’s a better freestyle wrestler than folk. Maybe to him, staying at PSU and being apart of the NLWC is his best option. Maybe academics and life after wrestling is what’s driving him and he feels a PSU degree is what’s best for him. When you say “what’s best for him” a National championship is a great accomplishment but will it pay the bills? Get him a job? Will it mean much if he pursues goals he may have internationally? Hes a collegiate wrestler and we fans tend to believe that to all of them the ultimate goal is a National Championsip....it’s just not the case.

Cassar said he felt he was in the best place to achieve his goals... I guess he would know- since they are his goals. RU fans certainly spend a lot of time theorizing about PSU transfers.
psu fans certainly spend a lot of time talking about an RU wrestler. So what's your point? I don't see anyone from scarlet nation rushing to your board. Why the insecurity anytime someone brings something up about a psu wrestler? Was something malicious said?

You are kinda arrogant yourself. Neither you nor I know what makes Cassar tick. Neither of us know what his goals in life are and what makes him happy. I think he’s a better freestyle wrestler than folk. Maybe to him, staying at PSU and being apart of the NLWC is his best option. Maybe academics and life after wrestling is what’s driving him and he feels a PSU degree is what’s best for him. When you say “what’s best for him” a National championship is a great accomplishment but will it pay the bills? Get him a job? Will it mean much if he pursues goals he may have internationally? Hes a collegiate wrestler and we fans tend to believe that to all of them the ultimate goal is a National Championsip....it’s just not the case.
I see no arrogance in my post? I replied to a post which clearly viewed the situation from a psu fan perspective. He even laid out a plan how Rasheed could wrestle, next Cassar and the plan would then be complete with Brooks. Thinking it would be best for him to stay because clearly in his view psu is the only one who could get him to his goals. That's arrogance.

So in your perspective on the situation only a psu degree will get him a job or pay the bills? You're posing these questions in rebuttal of my post to him transferring, so clearly you're taking the opposite side of the argument. Also please tell me what is the goal of a collegiate wrestler? Obviously they want to get a degree 1st, but strictly from a sport perspective the goal isn't to win a National Championship? Do tell us, what is the ultimate goal from strictly a sports view?

Do tell us, what is the ultimate goal from strictly a sports view?
For some, the answer is World Titles. As for the academic comment you made, a PSU degree in certain fields is valued more than one from....uhh...let’s say Rutgers. Btw, I have no side in the argument you are carrying out here. I want to see what’s best for Anthony. If that means he’s at Rutgers then so be it.

psu fans certainly spend a lot of time talking about an RU wrestler. So what's your point? I don't see anyone from scarlet nation rushing to your board. Why the insecurity anytime someone brings something up about a psu wrestler? Was something malicious said?
I am talking about a RU wrestler? Missed that somehow. If you mean Suriano discussions on our board, of course we are. His health and ability to wrestle could impact PSU’s quest for another national title. We would be discussing him whether he were at RU or some other school.

They are like little kids, whining, complaining, trying to get attention.
They get called names over at Iowa and ignored at BWI, so they scamper over here.

Reactions: cyrock3
Next weekend , IMO, is the best wrestling weekend of the year, with the NJ State Championships in Atlantic City, PLUS The Big 10 Tournament in East Lansing.
NJ States start around 2pm on Friday afternoon, then an evening session. 2 Sessions on Saturday, 2 Sessions on Sunday. NJ.com only streaming the Championship bouts , NJSIAAA sold earlier rounds to Track Wrestling ( I think)

A Heads up for the Big10 Tourney starting Friday (I'll /or someone, will have a separate thread come Thur night or Friday morning:

Saturday, March 3:

10am , ET- 4 mats streaming on BTN Plus

4:30, ET- 4 mats streaming on BTN Plus

Sunday, March 4

Noon, ET- 4 mats streaming on BTN Plus

3pm, ET- 1 mat, BTN TV, Championships

Last edited:
They are like little kids, whining, complaining, trying to get attention.
They get called names over at Iowa and ignored at BWI, so they scamper over here.
You have over 300 posts and 12 likes. I’m thinking you’re the one being ignored...

Next weekend , IMO, is the best wrestling weekend of the year, with the NJ State Championships in Atlantic City, PLUS The Big 10 Tournament in East Lansing.
NJ States start around 2pm on Friday afternoon, then an evening session. 2 Sessions on Saturday, 2 Sessions on Sunday. NJ.com only streaming the Championship bouts , NJSIAAA sold earlier rounds to Track Wrestling ( I think)

A Heads up for the Big10 Tourney starting Friday (I'll /or someone, will have a separate thread come Thur night or Friday morning:

Saturday, March 3:

10am , ET- 4 mats streaming on BTN Plus

4:30, ET- 4 mats streaming on BTN Plus

Sunday, March 4

Noon, ET- 4 mats streaming on BTN Plus

3pm, ET- 1 mat, BTN TV, Championships
You being a Jersey guy....yeah.... tough to beat that kinda week for wrestling. Pennsylvania wrestling fans have a nice run and can concentrate single tournaments 3 weeks in a row (Bigs, Pa States then NCAAs). Hope you enjoy your week! Great time of the year for all fans indeed!

I am talking about a RU wrestler? Missed that somehow. If you mean Suriano discussions on our board, of course we are. His health and ability to wrestle could impact PSU’s quest for another national title. We would be discussing him whether he were at RU or some other school.
They do teach reading comprehension skills at psu, right? How could you possibly misconstrued "psu fans" as singular and directed solely at you? You framed a statement directed at RU fans, I then framed a statement directed at psu fans. Let me retort our discussion as it seems you need a refresher course on the subject.

@PSUer1989: "RU fans certainly spend a lot of time theorizing about psu transfers"

Me: "psu fans certainly spend a lot of time talking about an RU wrestler. So what's your point?"

Plus your "Suriano" thread has now gone well past just a discussion about his health. You might want to run along and refresh yourself on current events over there.

You probably don't see them over there because they don't last very long.

As for the academic comment you made, a PSU degree in certain fields is valued more than one from....uhh...let’s say Rutgers.

There's an argument for both sides being the better degree. Both schools are ranked high academically, not quite on the level of Northwestern/Michigan, but in the same tier as Wisconsin/OSU/Indiana. Each school has their own top ranked programs and are viewed pretty equal overall. Don't flatter yourself.

Bryce Meredith of Wyoming is an example of a successful wrestler who wasn't willing to wait around after losing his spot to Jack. When you're a college wrestler, you WANT to wrestle. You can't help your team unless you're 1 of the 10 guys going onto the mat. It's not like other sports where you can contribute by coming off the bench and stealing a base or playing good defense.

If he's hungry to wrestle meaningful matches and maximize his opportunities to wrestle in the NCAA tournament, it makes sense he would transfer. But, I would also understand if he really enjoys his time in the PSU wrestling room and being with Cael. You can't get that anywhere else.

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
You being a Jersey guy....yeah.... tough to beat that kinda week for wrestling. Pennsylvania wrestling fans have a nice run and can concentrate single tournaments 3 weeks in a row (Bigs, Pa States then NCAAs). Hope you enjoy your week! Great time of the year for all fans indeed!

My contractor for a job I am working on hasn't been himself of late so I asked him what was up. He goes "Its a little embarrassing, but my son's final state wrestling tournament is happening. He breezed through districts, squeaked to a region championship and I am stressing out over AC. I still think about a crappy sprawl 25 years ago that cost me my title. I need him to win w/o knowing I need him to win. Sorry."

I told him I used to coach HS and I get it. He can "slack off" for a few days and I won't give him grief. This morning the son emailed me some videos/names of kids I coached against and asked for tips/scouting reports. Instead of working.... I wrote up scouting reports on high school kids smh.

I love this time of year, if for no other reason than everyone affiliated with wrestling "unifies" with everyone else affiliated with it.

I don't think any other scholastic sport fosters camaraderie like ours.... the most individual sport out there.

Richie in the 4 with Wick in the 5 is good.

I don't think I have ever seen a tie before. Maybe I am just forgetting, but that seems weird. Like, who is the 1 seed who faces the 4, and who is the 1 seed who faces the 3?

I don't think I have ever seen a tie before. Maybe I am just forgetting, but that seems weird. Like, who is the 1 seed who faces the 4, and who is the 1 seed who faces the 3?
I think this is a straight-up vote by the 14 coaches. So, it went 7-7. There will be a seeding meeting where it will be hashed out for the final seeds.

Ru93, ignore is your friend. I ignored like 2 PSU antagonists in like August and it's much better. 1 I think had "matter" in his name and the other "pawrestler".

CAN PSU FANS GET LOST? YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE, AND I HAD ENOUGH OF ALL YOUR NONSENSE. YOU GUYS ADD NOTHING - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT OTHER RUTGERS FANS CANNOT ADD. THIS IS RUTGERS BOARD!

Take it easy. pawrestler seems to generally add to the dialogue. There are others that definitely suck.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

That match in the BIGs based on dual meet match can go either way. Last couple of seconds scramble what won that match.

CAN PSU FANS GET LOST? YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE, AND I HAD ENOUGH OF ALL YOUR NONSENSE. YOU GUYS ADD NOTHING - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT OTHER RUTGERS FANS CANNOT ADD. THIS IS RUTGERS BOARD!
Really? The pre-seeds were out for more than an hour and a half before I posted them, It was 40 minutes after that Tango finally posted them in another thread. Plus, I answered a question about them that Cabbagehead didn't know the answer to, and I'm willing to bet that most others didn't know, either. And, by saying that, I'm not slamming your fan base, just acknowledging that there were quite a few on BWI that didn't know, either.

Ru93, ignore is your friend. I ignored like 2 PSU antagonists in like August and it's much better. 1 I think had "matter" in his name and the other "pawrestler".
Matter has been banned from here finally ....he rips RU everyday over there ..he really needs to get a life....not sure about the other guy you mentioned

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The only thing I keep wondering.... is how many Pennsylvania wrestlers are there in Tennessee, that someone could be so dedicated a fan for just them. I would think its not that many. The only D1 program in the whole state is Chattanooga.

The only thing I keep wondering.... is how many Pennsylvania wrestlers are there in Tennessee, that someone could be so dedicated a fan for just them. I would think its not that many. The only D1 program in the whole state is Chattanooga.
Two of my sons, high school, and yes I'm very dedicated to them.

Track Wrestling carrying all the NJ Championship Wrestling rounds except Finals. $19.99, includes all mats starts Friday at 2:30 pm.
NJcom will stream the Finals (Free, I presume).

Reactions: plcoolg
Track Wrestling carrying all the NJ Championship Wrestling rounds except Finals. $19.99, includes all mats starts Friday at 2:30 pm.

Good and bad...sucks to pay $20... But I do like getting all mats....

man Track Wrestling is such a crappy service. I'm hesitant to give them any $$ , not for the money but for the almost guaranteed frustration

This is a no brainier and I consider it progress for the sport. For $20.00 I can watch any match I want (except the finals) this is fantastic and I already subscribed even thought I will be at the semi's live.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6131831-2018-ncaa-wrestling-by-the-numbers

2018 NCAA Qualifiers by State

PA 53
OH 30
IL 27
NJ, CA 21
MI 17
NY 13
MO, MN 12
IA, CO 11
OK, IN, GA, VA 9
MD 7
FL 6
WI 5
UT, TX, OR, KS 4
NC, WV, WA, SD 3
TN, MA, ID 2
AL, AZ, CT, HI, KY, MT, NE, NV, NM, VT, WY, (Canada, Finland ) 1

10 states with 0

https://johnnythompsonnum1.blogspot.com/2018/03/2018-of-ncaa-qualifiers-by-school.html?m=1

2018 # of NCAA Qualifiers by School

10 (2) Lehigh & Ohio State

9 (7) Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, North Carolina State, Oklahoma State, Penn State & Virginia Tech

8 (2) Arizona State & North Carolina

7 (7) Central Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Purdue, South Dakota State, Wisconsin & Cornell

6 (6) Lock Haven, Northern Iowa, Rutgers, Stanford, Virginia & Wyoming

5 (9) American, Bakersfield, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Drexel, Duke, Edinboro & Navy

4 (13) Appalachian State, Clarion, Indiana, Kent State, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Northwestern, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, Princeton & Utah Valley

3 (9) Army, Brown, Chattanooga, Columbia, George Mason, Maryland, Southern Illinois Edwardsville, Rider &West Virginia

2 (6) Binghamton, Buffalo, Fresno State, Cal Poly, Campbell & Northern Illinois

1 (11) Air Force, Bucknell, Citadel, Cleveland State, Michigan State, Franklin & Marshall, Gardner Webb, Harvard, Hofstra, Iowa State & Ohio

0 (4) Bloomsburg, Davidson, Sacred Heart & VMI

Biggest NCAA snub:

https://johnnythompsonnum1.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-5-to-stay-home-this-ncaa-tournament.html?m=1

kmub8T0TF2jrqkQ0NWcVFNZbHxAX8LLrzGqivA1W0VJalX2TbExpuFFU3F3cAEepzcFI2IgFLNtAlY8JyKk1JINzqyIGJgpLZgYoW_0fCgDfLmI=s0-d

Ian Parker
Freshman
Iowa State

Take a stand against my other four picks if you will, but indisputably the best wrestler not participating in this year's NCAA tournament that should be, is Iowa State's Ian Parker. The why as to why he wasn't selected is quite confusing. Perhaps it is because he went from 133 lbs to 141 lbs mid season and didn't have enough criteria at 141 to qualify. None the less he finished his redshirt freshman season 22-9, with an assortment of impressive victories. He was the first to show the vulnerability of potential All American Austin DeSanto of Drexel when he handed the phenom freshman a 7-5 loss. He's also defeated NCAA qualifiers Matt Schmitt of West Virginia and Ali Naser of Arizona State. If that isn't enough to convince you that he should be wrestling at this year's championships perhaps the 3-1 victory over two time NCAA champion Dean Heil of Oklahoma State he had back in late January will. Iowa State has had a disappointing season as it is, and being jipped out of arguably their best wrestler not getting a qualification only adds salt to the wound.

Just released on Twitter. Cruz with the #1, Tomasello the #2.

Nick probably third and Lee 4, but won't know until 6:00.

Did I ever tell you guys how big of a Suriano fan I am?

Reactions: Reslo
Wng, been a while first off how you been....second do you believe Donny will be running this program in the next 3 years?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT