ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

I'm absolutely sure Cael did not diagnose, nor mishandle and injur
No not confusing it with NCAA rules. Old B1G rules allowed those who didn't receive grant-in-aid or sign NLI to move freely throughout the conference. The new rules didn't change that. They simply now allow those who do receive grant-in-aid to transfer in conference and receive grant-in-aid at their new school, but sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility. That wasn't an option before. Old rule was you receive grant-in-aid or sign NLI, transfer in conference you could not receive grant-in-aid at new school and had to sit a year. So now I could be wrong but my thinking is tender is another term for grant-in-aid and NLI paper work.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Correnti at 197 and I might have to bulk up from 135 to 285 to wrestle heavy!!

Deonte Wilson is the highest ranked Senior 285 on Intermat. From Long Island. Does anyone know anything about him? He is not committed anywhere, and a google search shows very little on him.

1 Gable Steveson Apple Valley MN Senior Minnesota
2 Cohlton Schultz Ponderosa CO Junior

3 Seth Nevills Clovis CA Senior Penn State 3
4 Anthony Cassioppi Hononegah IL Senior Iowa 4
5 Isaac Reid Kiski Area PA Senior Lock Haven 5
6 Terrese Aaron Mexico MO Senior Northern Illinois 6
7 Paul Robinson Bremen GA Senior Army West Point
8 Deonte Wilson Amityville NY Senior

Here he is 3 weeks ago, he has good size:

Reactions: bigmatt718
Kanen Storr transferred to Michigan and is expected to wrestle 141. Many thought he'd transfer to UVA.

I am glad to see correnti going to 197. Good move. He will be a beast there.

Correnti at 197 and I might have to bulk up from 135 to 285 to wrestle heavy!!

Bill, do you know if they gave Correnti the choice between 197 or 285 once Mulligan quit? Or if it was already known that Correnti was not going to be able to put on enough weight to go to heavy.

Based on his reported weight gain throughout the year, I am curious if maybe Correnti back to 197 was already known and factored in to Mulligan quitting.

If you don't want to answer I understand.

Cabbage
I think he just could not bulk up enough at heavy so that was the reason for dropping back to 197. Mulligan leaving did not play a part.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
@Lex Knapp and others
Are we recruiting A.J. Ferrari (2x TX HS state champ from Allen, TX, Bo Nickal's HS and club, ranked #3 @195 by Intermat as a sophomore) and Nic Bouzakis (2x FL HS state champ from Tampa, FL and wrestles for Lake Highland Prep, ranked #16 by Intermat as an 8th grader)? Both were OW at the USAW Folkstyle Nationals, and have brothers that are very good too. I know they're national recruits, but these are the type of kids we need to land from OOS.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...stler-repeat-as-Folkstyle-Nationals-champions

They're also friendly:

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=650378132

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Jacob Casper signed on to the NC State RTC (along with their two graduating seniors-Kevin Jack and National Champ Michael Macchiavello. Gwiz is also there)

The NC State program is a good example of what Rutgers can and will be in a short time.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKWC
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Jacob Casper signed on to the NC State RTC (along with their two graduating seniors-Kevin Jack and National Champ Michael Macchiavello. Gwiz is also there)

The NC State program is a good example of what Rutgers can and will be in a short time.

A bit of a shame not landing Casper but he wrestled at Duke so NC State a lot closer. Hopefully we land some folks for the RTC soon.

NC State is definitely the program I want RU to most emulate. They're a new money wrestling power, like RU is becoming, but we definitely need to start landing some big name upperweight talent in the RTC to close the gap.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
USA Wrestling has just posted the senior level freestyle rankings leading up to the US Open. Johnni DiJulius is ranked at #10 in the 61kg division. His home town is listed as New Brunswick, NJ.

But, check this out...Tyler Graff, who was a SKWC resident athlete in 2016-2017 but who spent last season at the VA Tech Regional Training Center, also has his home city listed as New Brunswick, New Jersey! I hope I am not wrong in speculating that means he is going to be either a NJRTC or SKWC resident athlete for 2018. Graff is ranked #5 in the 61kg division!

Perhaps someone in the know can confirm whether Tyler will be working with our guys this season. Both he and Johnni would be great training partners for the lower weights.

Link to ratings article:
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6180092-us-senior-mens-freestyle-rankings

Last edited:
USA Wrestling has just posted the senior level freestyle rankings leading up to the US Open. Johnni DiJulius is ranked at #10 in the 61kg division. His home town is listed as New Brunswick, NJ.

But, check this out...Tyler Graff, who was a SKWC resident athlete in 2016-2017 but who spent last season at the VA Tech Regional Training Center, also has his home city listed as New Brunswick, New Jersey! I hope I am not wrong in speculating that means he is going to be either a NJRTC or SKWC resident athlete for 2018. Graff is ranked #5 in the 61kg division!

Perhaps someone in the know can confirm whether Tyler will be working with our guys this season. Both he and Johnni would be great training partners for the lower weights.

Link to ratings article:
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6180092-us-senior-mens-freestyle-rankings

I don't have time to go back and listen to exactly how he phrased it, but Goodale mentioned Graff in the interview.

Best news we can get now is positive news with respect to Meredith and Cruz.

I don't have time to go back and listen to exactly how he phrased it, but Goodale mentioned Graff in the interview.

If we land Meredith for the RTC, Ashnault will win the NC at 149. That's my bold prediction for next year.

@Lex Knapp and others
Are we recruiting A.J. Ferrari (2x TX HS state champ from Allen, TX, Bo Nickal's HS and club, ranked #3 @195 by Intermat as a sophomore) and Nic Bouzakis (2x FL HS state champ from Tampa, FL and wrestles for Lake Highland Prep, ranked #16 by Intermat as an 8th grader)? Both were OW at the USAW Folkstyle Nationals, and have brothers that are very good too. I know they're national recruits, but these are the type of kids we need to land from OOS.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...stler-repeat-as-Folkstyle-Nationals-champions

They're also friendly:

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=650378132
No one has any info on this?

He mentioned Graff when talking about who RU guys have worked out with. Not as someone that is going to be part of the SKWC. Meredith would be huge get

Tbh, I got a healthy Ash winning the title next year... top contenders at 149 would be Ash, Micah Jordan, kolo.. can’t think of anyone else that would be favored over these guys...
Tbh, I got a healthy Ash winning the title next year... top contenders at 149 would be Ash, Micah Jordan, kolo.. can’t think of anyone else that would be favored over these guys...

I’ll throw some other guys that will be in the mix as well.

Deakin-Northwestern
Lugo- Iowa
Leeth- Missouri
O’Connor-UNC Redshirt Freshman next year is the wildcard in the bunch. He beat Heilmann in wrestle offs

I agree Ash would have to be one of the favorites but lots of tough kids and I’ll bet some more 141 lbs might jump up to 149.

Will Ashnault be wrestling in the US Open? He isn't on FloArena, but you never know if it will be a last minute decision. I thought I heard he will be wrestling freestyle soon.

Ashnault has registered for US Open. Current Entries are on FLOARENA. Registration still open

https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/586a5daf-a661-b0e9-d1a3-24e74c3a0357

Go to Senior Mens Freestyle 65kg (143.3lbs)

Mens Freestyle Schedule
2018 US OPEN
Las Vegas

Friday, April 27

Senior Men’s Freestyle

Mandatory Check-in, Weigh-in Card Pickup, and Waiver Drop-off
6:30AM - 7:00AM

Senior Men’s Freestyle
Medical Check and Weigh-in
7:00AM – 7:30AM

Pairing Clinic and Tournament Set-up
7:00AM - 9:00AM

Nationals Rules Clinic for Athletes and Coaches
8:30AM - 9:00AM

Senior Men’s Freestyle – (Session 1) Preliminaries, Quarterfinals, Consolation Rd 1-3
9:00AM – 1:00PM

Senior Men’s Freestyle – (Session 2) Consolation Rd 4-5 3:00PM – 6:30PM

Senior Men’s Freestyle – (Session 2) Semi-Finals
5:00PM – 6:30PM

Saturday, April 28

Senior Men’s Freestyle: Weigh-in +2kg
7:00AM – 7:30 AM

Senior Men’s Freestyle
– (Session 3) Consolation Rd 6, Consolation Semi-Finals, 3rd 5th 7th place matches
9:00AM - 1:00PM

Senior Men’s Freestyle – (Session 4) Finals
3:00PM – 5:00PM

Last edited:
There are some other Scarlet Knights besides Anthony Ashnault competing this weekend at the US Open. All are registered in the Junior Division:

Alex Esposito: 125 kg
Matthew Correnti: 97kg
Joe Grello: 79kg
and
Incoming Freshman Malcolm Robinson at 61kg ( approx 134.2 lbs) which is approximately 7 pounds lighter than he competed at this past season.

These are Freestyle matches and they will be broadcast on Flowrestling.com

Edit: Cohlton Schultz is competing in the Junior 125 kg class in Greco-Roman. He should be the favorite.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
2018 InterMat Recruiting Class Rankings

1. Penn State
2. Ohio State
3. North Carolina State
4. Minnesota
5. Nebraska
6. Michigan
7. Stanford
8. Missouri
9. North Carolina