ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

Ashnault news coming soon? Mizzou just heard:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/March/12/Willie-Miklus-granted-sixth-year

Mizzou Wrestling 197-pounder Willie Miklus (Altoona, Iowa) has received a sixth year of eligibility, as announced by head coach Brian Smith Monday. Because Miklus missed the majority of the 2013-14 and 2016-17 seasons due to injuries, the NCAA granted Miklus a sixth year of eligibility for the 2018-19 season, which will be his fourth season of competition.

Joe McFarland retired from Michigan, so that's 2 B1G job openings.

197 transfer Cassar would be my guess NJ kid who lost his spot.He would have big 10 transfer rules to follow

now that’s kinda humorous ...considering the wrestler who transferred to Rutgers this past year ...or did I miss the was ian attempt at sarcasm?

How is Gravina's shoulder? I remember him just wearing down the top wrestlers his sophomore and junior years. Even when he didn't win, his constant pressure was fun to watch. I wonder what one more year of wrestling will do to his shoulder. Could he go 197?
How is Willie Scott doing? Do you think he has a possibility of taking a spot for for a year if no one can make 197? I know he was lighter as a freshman.

UALR announced that they are starting a D1 wrestling program. They made the announcement in Cleveland during the tournament. My guess is they get a SoCon invitation to replace Southern Illinois, which is heading to the MAC.

Imran Heard: St. Paul's (MD) class of 2018 138lber and former Rutgers commit has just announced that he's now attending Lock Haven University. I don't believe he was receiving a scholarship from RU, hence why he's able to decommit this late. I hate to see us lose depth, but best of luck at LHU!

Go Knights!

Imran Heard: St. Paul's (MD) class of 2018 138lber and former Rutgers commit has just announced that he's now attending Lock Haven University. I don't believe he was receiving a scholarship from RU, hence why he's able to decommit this late. I hate to see us lose depth, but best of luck at LHU!

Go Knights!

When a school offers a scholarship I can't blame the kid for taking advantage of it.LHU had two AAs (finalist & 3rd) which has created a resurgence of their program.We lost to them in a dual this season.

As far as depth we should be fine with Cleary coming of redshirt, Benner and Robinson .There is a log jam with the weights already, so it makes sense that Heard decided to move on for opportunity elsewhere to start.

Reactions: TommyRutgers
RutgersAlum - I agree with you on that. I'd rather have a decommit at a lower/mid weight compared to 184-Heavy. Props to him for likely earning a schollie too.

First thing I looked at!! Got excited as their HWT made Nationals and had a solid year, but he is a R-Sr. Their backup is not very good.

???Graduate transfer??? Does wrestling and/or basketball have different graduate transfer rules than football? I vaguely remember hearing something along those lines..

UALR announced that they are starting a D1 wrestling program. They made the announcement in Cleveland during the tournament. My guess is they get a SoCon invitation to replace Southern Illinois, which is heading to the MAC.
Presbyterian College is joining Div. 1 next year as well in men's and women's wrestling in the SoCon conference. It's the 1st college to have both teams in Div 1. Their head coach for men's is going to be former Oklahoma head coach Mark Cody.

Arkansas Little-Rock I believe is still looking for a conference. Apparently a business man named Greg Hatcher gave them $1.4 mil. to start the sport. The guy is basically the Godfather of wrestling in Arkansas. In 2007 there was not one high school student participating in wrestling. Now nearly 900. This guy was the driving force who got the sport approved by the Arkansas Activities Association. That has got to be the coolest thing I've ever heard of. It's legendary.

Last edited:
First thing I looked at!! Got excited as their HWT made Nationals and had a solid year, but he is a R-Sr. Their backup is not very good.

Interestingly, it looks like they have a commitment from the #12 heavyweight on Intermat right now. Senior out of Michigan. He is going to be looking for a landing spot. Name is Austin Emerson.

What news you expecting? If Cassar transfers, its almost certainly not going to be to Rutgers. He would only have 2 to wrestle 1 if he did. He would have 2 to wrestle 2 at any non Big Ten school.
Now I'm not saying he would come here, I'm just spitballing here. I thought we already established that he isn't receiving any scholarship money. So in theory he could come to Rutgers not receive any scholarship money, save about $20,000 on the tuition difference a year and still have 2 years to compete. As long as he's not receiving money at psu and doesn't receive any money at another B1G school he's not beholden to the B1G intra-conference transfer rules.

Now I'm not saying he would come here, I'm just spitballing here. I thought we already established that he isn't receiving any scholarship money. So in theory he could come to Rutgers not receive any scholarship money, save about $20,000 on the tuition difference a year and still have 2 years to compete. As long as he's not receiving money at psu and doesn't receive any money at another B1G school he's not beholden to the B1G intra-conference transfer rules.

I guess not everyone keeps up with all the threads/information. I agree - he wouldn't sit b/c he's not on scholly at psu. Did we recruit him out of highschool? Maybe we thought Mulligan or Normandia would be better...what a big miss, but I believe Normandia was offered and accepted the offer to RU before the states. It goes to show you how difficult it is to predict some of these wrestlers' ceiling...

Last edited:
I guess not everyone keeps up with all the threads/information. I agree - he wouldn't sit b/c he's not on scholly at psu. Did we recruit him out of highschool? Maybe we thought Mulligan would be better...what a big miss...
Well in Rutgers defense I don't think too many schools did.(but not sure) Pretty amazing story of a late bloomer. Never qualifies for the NJSIAA Championships than in his senior year has a magical run to 43-0 and a State Championship. But being the local school and the kid being in our backyard you have to consider it a miss for sure.

1. No one on this board or on any other board that I'm aware of knows if he is receiving any scholarship money at this point. Yes, he walked on initially, but that does not mean he has not started to receive some form of scholarship.
2. Are you sure about the B1G transfer rules regarding non-scholarship athletes? I think you may be confusing NCAA transfers with B1G transfers.
3. Are we really going to go through this, again?

Here is the wording for post-matriculated students:
"B. Post-Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports."

1. No one on this board or on any other board that I'm aware of knows if he is receiving any scholarship money at this point. Yes, he walked on initially, but that does not mean he has not started to receive some form of scholarship.
2. Are you sure about the B1G transfer rules regarding non-scholarship athletes? I think you may be confusing NCAA transfers with B1G transfers.

"B. Post-Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports."
While it isn't happening, based on the above B1G transfer rules, if he didn't "sign a tender from a Conference institution," then he doesn't have to sit out a year, so if he's not getting any schollie $, then he's immediately eligible. ...and even if he did, that hasn't stopped us from overcoming the rule anyway:grimace:

Reactions: koleszar
While it isn't happening, based on the above B1G transfer rules, if he didn't "sign a tender from a Conference institution," then he doesn't have to sit out a year, so if he's not getting any schollie $, then he's immediately eligible. ...and even if he did, that hasn't stopped us from overcoming the rule anyway:grimace:
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind, too. However, "lost my spot in a wrestle-off" surely isn't going to pass muster as a viable reason for a scot-free transfer, is it? Who knows. This is the B1G, trying to stay relevant one decision at a time.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind, too. However, "lost my spot in a wrestle-off" surely isn't going to pass muster as a viable reason for a scot-free transfer, is it? Who knows. This is the B1G, trying to stay relevant one decision at a time.
I'm sure Cael misdiagnosed and mishandled an injury in there somewhere or promised some or more schollie $...[winking]. No worries, we'd figure it out.:grimace:

Last edited:

No not confusing it with NCAA rules. Old B1G rules allowed those who didn't receive grant-in-aid or sign NLI to move freely throughout the conference. The new rules didn't change that. They simply now allow those who do receive grant-in-aid to transfer in conference and receive grant-in-aid at their new school, but sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility. That wasn't an option before. Old rule was you receive grant-in-aid or sign NLI, transfer in conference you could not receive grant-in-aid at new school and had to sit a year. So now I could be wrong but my thinking is tender is another term for grant-in-aid and NLI paper work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT