ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wrestling News

How did RU get the commitment from O'Neil.
Watching the Powerade match yesterday, the commentator said he was a State Qualifier.
His 2nd place finish was awesome at the Beast this year and he seems like a quality recruit
Did the coaches see something that would predict these kind of results?
I would not think his past results would have put him on RU radar.

Does he have the kind of upside similar to Cassar where he never made a run at a state title until he was a Senior? I have not watched High School Wrestling in years so forgive my ignorance (Thank you flo for letting me watch it now)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
How did RU get the commitment from O'Neil.
Watching the Powerade match yesterday, the commentator said he was a State Qualifier.
His 2nd place finish was awesome at the Beast this year and he seems like a quality recruit
Did the coaches see something that would predict these kind of results?
I would not think his past results would have put him on RU radar.

Does he have the kind of upside similar to Cassar where he never made a run at a state title until he was a Senior? I have not watched High School Wrestling in years so forgive my ignorance (Thank you flo for letting me watch it now)

O'Neill got second in Fargo(so that puts him on almost everyones radar) this summer. He also was wrestling up a weight for DePaul because of Cabinillas, so that is probably main reason he did not place as a Soph.
He will make a run at a state title this year and next year. He is only a Junior.
And as WNG said he has been at the SKWC for years.

Southern Scuffle today and tomorrow. Featured team is Penn St obviously, OK St and Mizzou also there. IMO, not nearly as good a tourney as it used to be, surpassed this year by Cliff Keene Tourney and Midlands tourney as far a depth of ranked wrestlers. I'll be watching on the laptop while watching Bowl games on the big screen TV. Good day of sports:

133 probably the feature weight with Daton Fix, Roman Bravo Young , and Austin Gomez. Flowrestling will be streaming.

https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/62a160d7-df65-aa6c-10ea-ede67f99dbd3

Preview breakdown on each weight class:
https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6304519-southern-scuffle-2019-bracket-reactions

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

10 AM: Pigtail Round

10:45 AM: Championship Round of 32

1:30 PM: 1st Round of Consolations

2:15 PM: Championship Round of 16

4 PM: 2nd Round of Consolations

5:45 PM: 3rd Round of Consolations

7:30 PM: Championship Quarterfinals & 4th Round of Consolations

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

10 AM: 5th Round of Consolations

12 PM: Championship Semifinals & Consolation Quarterfinals

2 PM: Consolation Semifinals

7 PM: Championship Finals & Medal Matches

Last edited:
IMO, not nearly as good a tourney as it used to be, surpassed this year by Cliff Keene Tourney and Midlands tourney as far a depth of ranked wrestlers.
That does seem to change almost every year though. Some years the Scuffle is a far better tournament, while other years, such as this year, the Midlands is a better tournament.

Midlands was better this year due to my UNI Panthers being there, of course.

That does seem to change almost every year though. Some years the Scuffle is a far better tournament, while other years, such as this year, the Midlands is a better tournament.

Midlands was better this year due to my UNI Panthers being there, of course.

Also this years South Florida duals took teams away from some tourneys.
The Cornell coach was lamenting he can't get Penn St or Iowa to wrestle them in a dual match, lol. Appparently he's one of those advocating for more high profile dual matches.

Reactions: Leonard23
The Cornell coach was lamenting he can't get Penn St or Iowa to wrestle them in a dual match, lol. Appparently he's one of those advocating for more high profile dual matches.
Well, the Brands' have become a little famous for not dualing teams that they can't beat.

Koll wants national duals to be for the national championship, or at the very least, to have an affect on scoring at the NCAA tournament. Like, if you win a national duals tournament, you get spotted 25 points at NCAAs. BTW, do you have a link for Koll complaining about that?

The national duals should always be what determines the TEAM champions for the season. I've always put ZERO stock in the "team" race at the NCAA tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT