ADVERTISEMENT

3 people spoke to Francesca about Rutgers ...

Francesa admitted he didn't know the recruiting situation. He said he heard that Flood not only left the recruit cupboard bare but that the "doors were ripped off the cupboard" and the "kitchen set on fire".
LOLOL, Yeah, he "heard" that in Politi's piece from the Ledger the other day. Same place anyone else who has a web browser or some change heard it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
They are a better program than we will ever be. We should join the MAC and call it a day. Save the money and the grief. The politicians are just jockeying to get their hands on the Big Ten revenue when we get it anyway. You are naive if you think that money is going to be 100% reinvested back into athletics at New Brunswick campus.

I suggest saving what self respect you have left and not posting on this topic anymore.

I suggest saving what self respect you have left and

I realize I'm painting a negative picture but it's a real possibility. Half of me thinks we turn it around...the other half thinks we become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the 2000's where the powers that be pocket the money and never reinvest it back into the athletic programs. If you don't think there's a small possibility of that happening you are in denial. This is New Jersey after all.

Last edited:
That was pure sarcasm. I was making fun of the absolute idiots that keep bringing up Al Golden now.

Thank God. Listen I know Mike doesn't know his ass from his rear end when it comes to CFB in 2016 but saying we don't belong in the B1G isn't totally insane. Basketball is unbelievably bad (seriously it's hard to be that bad in bball) and football gets routed by the first tier teams (OSU, UM, Wisky, Nebraska, MSU). Even if Ash compiles the best 4 recruiting classes in the history of the school the next 4 years there's a very good chance that a Harbaugh lead Michigan and a Meyer lead OSU team continue to wipe the field with us. I happen to think both are gone in 5 years but until they are we will get it jammed up our cornholes twice every fall. And that sucks for the players, the university and the alumni/fans.

Im
I heard the call. Mike was yelling, said it several times.

I heard when he first made the comment. He said Michigan will beat Rutgers by 80 right before the start of the2014 season. He was wrong then so he's gloating about it happening 2 years later.

Reactions: shields
Thank God. Listen I know Mike doesn't know his ass from his rear end when it comes to CFB in 2016 but saying we don't belong in the B1G isn't totally insane. Basketball is unbelievably bad (seriously it's hard to be that bad in bball) and football gets routed by the first tier teams (OSU, UM, Wisky, Nebraska, MSU). Even if Ash compiles the best 4 recruiting classes in the history of the school the next 4 years there's a very good chance that a Harbaugh lead Michigan and a Meyer lead OSU team continue to wipe the field with us. I happen to think both are gone in 5 years but until they are we will get it jammed up our cornholes twice every fall. And that sucks for the players, the university and the alumni/fans.
I'm not even sure Harbaugh lasts 5 more years

Reactions: BoogieKnight
just like the rest of NJ--we eat our own and we perpetuate an embarrassment rather than move on--stupid, you bet

nonsense. So does Iowa St belong in the Big 12?

I'm playing devil's advocate. Dropping down to the MAC or FCS would save the university a great deal of uneccessary scrutiny. We have a better chance of becoming Johns Hopkins than Ohio State. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Jeismeister
When you lose 78 zero we as fans need to just shut up and deal with the criticism ....Recruit recruit recruit recruit and then recruit some more....block out the noise and recruit........anyone have a better idea?
yes, wheezer said it .... get the aac on the phone

I'm playing devil's advocate. Dropping down to the MAC or FCS would save the university a great deal of uneccessary scrutiny. We have a better chance of becoming Johns Hopkins than Ohio State. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Yes there is . We are a huge state flagship U with no instate competition in a talent rich state. We have no business competing on a Johns Hopkins level

Maybe we shouldn't run the hurry up offense when down 50-0 at halftime and keep giving the ball back for the opponent to pile up points. Make a darn adjustment and run the play clock down to 1 sec, that way you keep the blow out to maybe 40 or 50 instead of 80.

Not sure if you watched the game but that's what we did. Slowed it way down.

I was at the Iowa game and I expected them to push us around and we ran for 200 yards. Iowa is a program we should be like.

Well, we are in the B10 and we are not leaving, no matter what these fools say in the media. Easy to kick a Rutgers when they are down.

If this staff can keep the recruiting class largely together, then it will get better.

Yes there is . We are a huge state flagship U with no instate competition in a talent rich state. We have no business competing on a Johns Hopkins level

Really starting to think this talent rich state thing is way overblown. The North Jersey parochials do a good job of pumping up their players. Texas is a talent rich state. Florida and Louisiana are talent rich states. We have our Peppers and Gary's, our Hamiltons and Carroos and then it drops off.

Last edited:
My son is good friends with Brian Monzo, Francessa'a studio engineer. We went to Monmouth Park several summers ago, and they were there. I asked why Mike hates Rutgers so much, and he said it was all just to bust Chris Carlins chops, back when he worked there. It no doubt grew from there big time, and I even heard back in the early 70's no idea if it's true, he was denied entrance into Rutgers.

Hey we let up 80 points vs wvu under schiano. Thought those days were over. Anyway Schiano fixed the program and so will ASH..,,,,,, like Flood as a person but boy did he hurt this program.

nonsense. So does Iowa St belong in the Big 12?
I don't get the parallel here. They are decent in football. Almost beat Baylor a few weeks ago with a new coach. Their men's basketball program has been real good for the last 30 years or so. Their women's teams do well. Always real good in wrestling. Yeah. The same as Rutgers.

The only time I've ever heard Mike support RU was after that Big East tournament game with the referee fiasco. He ripped into the officials for quitting on the game...and that was against his beloved St. Johns.

Reactions: Peteyd
They are a better program than we will ever be. We should join the MAC and call it a day. Save the money and the grief. The politicians are just jockeying to get their hands on the Big Ten revenue when we get it anyway. You are naive if you think that money is going to be 100% reinvested back into athletics at New Brunswick campus.
BK: You speak the truth. As a matter of fact Steve Sweeney has suggested that once B10 money hits Rutgers that Rowen University and other State Colleges should benefit as well. There were many quid pro quo's before UMDNJ was dismantled and handed over to Rutgers. The current Administration is fully aware of what's going to be expected once Christie is out of office and once the Dem. Machine takes over again you will see people jump ship like rats both in Trenton and Rutgers. I am absolutely certain and know for a fact that Trenton will squeeze Rutgers to a point where some of that B10 money will be used to offset Administrative Cost in other departments and there is nothing the B10 can do. Don't quote me on this but I believe Governor Scott Walker f....d Wisconsin over in a similar way. At least for a short while.

Last edited:
I don't get the parallel here. They are decent in football. Almost beat Baylor a few weeks ago with a new coach. Their men's basketball program has been real good for the last 30 years or so. Their women's teams do well. Always real good in wrestling. Yeah. The same as Rutgers.

Iowa St will never, and I mean never, be a football powerhouse. They are a distant 2nd in their own state popularity wise. and close game with Baylor (which they lost) notwithstanding they have not won anything of significance on the football field in my lifetime (or at least since I started following sports). In addition the state of Iowa has no recruiting base and if any coach has any modicum of success they will be hired by one of the other P5 schools (Gene Chizik did nothing at ISU and somehow still got the Auburn job)

Basketball is irrelevant. We all know that. Not that I don't like it but as far as power 5 conferences go that aren't named the ACC it simply doesn't matter

Point is we have a MUCH higher ceiling than ISU, we have a much bigger school and and we have no in state competition.

So why should they get a seat at the big boy table over us? They shouldn't . And it won't matter because neither one of us (RU or ISU ) is "dropping down"

Well then neither do Perdue, Illinois, Indiana, Minny, or Maryland for that matter.

Relax we're in a mostly talentless rebuilding year where we played 3 of the top five teams in the nation (two on the road) with a rookie coaching staff. We are not off track to be a decent team in the B1G.

I agree with this. However, I truly believe the ceiling for Rutgers regardless of who is the coach or how much money is thrown at the program is on an Iowa, Nebraska and possibly a Wisconsin level. We will never compete with Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State. But I see no reason why we don't have a higher ceiling than Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland and Minnesota. If Penn State ever gets the right coach, surpassing them is still doable but will be a heavy lift.

The thing that perplexes me is this: As recently as 2012 Rutgers was a better football team than 3/4 of the Big Ten. Why are people acting like we've been horrible forever?

Try telling that to the casual fan...In reality, yes we were good in 2012, but who did we beat on a national scale? Arkansas was a good win but they were a sub 500 team...

I agree with this. However, I truly believe the ceiling for Rutgers regardless of who is the coach or how much money is thrown at the program is on an Iowa, Nebraska and possibly a Wisconsin level. We will never compete with Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State. But I see no reason why we don't have a higher ceiling than Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland and Minnesota. If Penn State ever gets the right coach, surpassing them is still doable but will be a heavy lift.

Agreed. We'd need to catch lightening in a bottle to beat the big boys. But heck we beat Mich two years ago so maybe we catch OSU and UM looking past us / not so good on a season where we are at our best. Long shot but should happen once in a century or so.

It's all cyclical except when it comes to Michigan and Ohio State and even with Michigan, they just had a down period of about 7-8 years. We are 3-5 vs. Michigan State lifetime with the 3 wins coming when we were independent/playing in the Big Least so while I respect them I can't say they are as consistently good as UM and OSU. I know Nebraska isn't what they were under Osborne and Solich but we will never be at their level either. Just too much history. I think Iowa is our ceiling. Possibly, Wisconsin but even Wisconsin is a big stretch and it will take at least a decade before we get there, if we ever do. I just don't think NJ is as deep a state in high school talent as people make it out to be and we will need to raise the recruiting budget and get more into the south, Texas and the midwest.

Mike Francessa infuriates me. He talks at the callers like he is angry and barely lets them talk, many times attempting to humiliate them. He is an arrogant jerk who claims to know so much about sports, but has absolutely ZERO grasp of what this rutgers team is, can be and will be. Frankly he sounds like the buffoon he is as a result.

He talked that Rutgers couldn't beat Michican state/indiana etc. they are 2-0 vs Indiana and i was at a game where they beat Michigan State. They almost beat them LAST year. He forgets that they beat Michigan 2 years ago.

All those wins came AFTER they were blown away by West Virginia all those years ago, so things can and do change given time. Hell, even a couple years can change things drastically

Did he mention that Oregon gave up 70 points at home to Washington? Does that mean Oregon doesn't belong in the Pac 12? They've been competing for championships. At least we only lost by 35 (on the road) to Washington when our team was healthier.

Mike Francessa infuriates me. He talks at the callers like he is angry and barely lets them talk, many times attempting to humiliate them. He is an arrogant jerk who claims to know so much about sports, but has absolutely ZERO grasp of what this rutgers team is, can be and will be. Frankly he sounds like the buffoon he is as a result.

He talked that Rutgers couldn't beat Michican state/indiana etc. they are 2-0 vs Indiana and i was at a game where they beat Michigan State. They almost beat them LAST year. He forgets that they beat Michigan 2 years ago.

All those wins came AFTER they were blown away by West Virginia all those years ago, so things can and do change given time. Hell, even a couple years can change things drastically

Did he mention that Oregon gave up 70 points at home to Washington? Does that mean Oregon doesn't belong in the Pac 12? They've been competing for championships. At least we only lost by 35 (on the road) to Washington when our team was healthier.

He may have been pushing buttons a little with the Rutgers doesn't belong in the Big Ten thing but I genuinely think he was saying it more because he felt bad for our players and school in general. HIs main point was that as long as Urban is at OSU and Harbaugh at Michigan, they are going to raise eachother's game so much that even the Wisconsin's and Michigan States of the world are going to have a hard time keeping up in the Big Ten. So Rutgers has no prayer and should just forget about it. Of course things change, coaches leave, retire, etc. He actually praised the Ash hire and thinks he has a good pedigree he just thinks that Rutgers in the Big Ten is "an impossible job". And he's not completely talking out of his ass with that.

We lost 78-0...he has every right to crap on us..in fact he predicted Michigan would hang an 80 on us and he was right

Rutgers got their worst loss in modern history handed to them. It most likely was the worst loss in any major conference in 30 years plus

He has no right to crap on anything. No one who discusses this game and fails to mention that Rutgers beat Michigan just 2 years ago in its first year in the Big Ten.. has a right to comment as an unbiased observer.

78 is not 80.. he was wrong two years ago when he "predicted" it and he is still wrong.

Worst loss.. by 5 points.. Schiano lost 80-7.. and 3 years later we shoulda beat those damn eers and 5 years later the refs screwed us.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT