ADVERTISEMENT

64 Years Ago Yesterday - The Greatest Game Ever Played and Rutgers Connection

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Bill Pellington went undrafted from Rutgers and was then cut by the Cleveland Browns before making the Baltimore Colts for his entire career from 1953-1964. He was the defensive captain of the 1958 NFL Champion Baltimore Colts when they defeated the New York Giants 23-17 in the first sudden death NFL Championship game (“Ameche scores!”) on December 28, 1958. The following season the same teams were matched up again on December 27, 1959 and again, the Baltimore Colts defeated the New York Giants 31-16. In Pellington’s final season, the Baltimore Colts lost the 1964 NFL Championship game to the Cleveland Browns 27-0 on December 27, 1964.

It gave the NFL a boost that led to it become, arguably, more popular than college football. The World Cup final did not do that for soccer.
NFL is not arguably more popular than college football. NFL is unquestionably more popular than college football.

It gave the NFL a boost that led to it become, arguably, more popular than college football. The World Cup final did not do that for soccer.
But the WC DID do that for the World Cup. That is.. I know I won't miss another World Cup and might even check out other international games or even, *gulp*, Premier League stuff after that.

Respectfully, that WC final was more watched and influential than any game ever played in the nfl or college football

Respectfully, that WC final was more watched and influential than any game ever played in the nfl or college football

It will remain an unanswered question with respect to the US for 4 years, but for the rest of the world does it change the viewership? After that game the NFL was never the same.

Reactions: Antnee79
How many people watched the 1958 World Cup?

What were the ratings?

Outside of Europe, how many had access to a television compared to the US? For that matter including Europe?
Exactly.

How well does the average Super Bowl do? Haven’t they been some of the highest rated in history?

I am old enough, but barely so, to remember listening on the radio to the 1958 championship game. We lived in NYC, where the game was blacked out because it was played at Yankee Stadium. (Yes, I double-checked that it was Yankee Stadium). Was it the greatest game ever played? I don't know, but it certainly helped attract interest to pro football.

Reactions: ashokan
I am old enough, but barely so, to remember listening on the radio to the 1958 championship game. We lived in NYC, where the game was blacked out because it was played at Yankee Stadium. (Yes, I double-checked that it was Yankee Stadium). Was it the greatest game ever played? I don't know, but it certainly helped attract interest to pro football.

You mean your Dad and a few others didn't rent a motel room in Western Connecticut and watch it on the Hartford channel?

Exactly.

How well does the average Super Bowl do? Haven’t they been some of the highest rated in history?
Definitely in the US, but not in the international ratings. World Cup finals way ahead. So it will be interesting to see what happens to the US ratings for the 2026 final.

Definitely in the US, but not in the international ratings. World Cup finals way ahead. So it will be interesting to see what happens to the US ratings for the 2026 final.
And how we do performance-wise as that’s really all anyone cares.

This past World Cup final, while a great game will not be as transformational for Soccer as the Giants/Colts was for Football.

It was already huge. Not sure how it gets any huger.

Reactions: beaced
And how we do performance-wise as that’s really all anyone cares.

This past World Cup final, while a great game will not be as transformational for Soccer as the Giants/Colts was for Football.

It was already huge. Not sure how it gets any huger.
It was though… that game solidified Lionel Messi as the greatest player of all time, he eclipsed Pele’ that game. I can assure you that carry’s more global impact that anything that has ever occurred in either the NFL or College FB.

Case in point, how many people under 60 could even tell you who played in the 1958 game? At the same time how many people under 60 can tell you who pele’ was despite never seeing him play? That’s the kind of impact that WC final had, it wasn’t just another WC final, it was perhaps the most important, influential WC final since Maradona in 86’, and arguably more.

That single game re-wrote the history books as a man actually eclipsed Pele…. Nothing in the NFL or college football has ever come close

But the WC DID do that for the World Cup. That is.. I know I won't miss another World Cup and might even check out other international games or even, *gulp*, Premier League stuff after that.
SOCCER,a great game to play, TO WATCH? Not so great.Unless it's WOMEN in short shorts.

Reactions: ashokan
Actually, the most important thing that promoted pro football was Commissioner Pete Rozelle's decision in 1960 to have TV revenue divided equally among all clubs, instead of the New York Giants making ten times as much as the Green Bay Packers. That ensured parity, which gave truth to the slogan that "on any given Sunday," any given team could win. Having competitive games, and giving every fan base hope that its team could rise to the top, helped make the NFL extremely popular.

Actually, the most important thing that promoted pro football was Commissioner Pete Rozelle's decision in 1960 to have TV revenue divided equally among all clubs, instead of the New York Giants making ten times as much as the Green Bay Packers. That ensured parity, which gave truth to the slogan that "on any given Sunday," any given team could win. Having competitive games, and giving every fan base hope that its team could rise to the top, helped make the NFL extremely popular.

No doubt. But 1958 made the money worth worrying about.

I get most watched but can you explain why influential? Seems way too early to say that but soccer is already the most watched sport and it had the 2 biggest stars in the game.

It was though… that game solidified Lionel Messi as the greatest player of all time, he eclipsed Pele’ that game. I can assure you that carry’s more global impact that anything that has ever occurred in either the NFL or College FB.

Case in point, how many people under 60 could even tell you who played in the 1958 game? At the same time how many people under 60 can tell you who pele’ was despite never seeing him play? That’s the kind of impact that WC final had, it wasn’t just another WC final, it was perhaps the most important, influential WC final since Maradona in 86’, and arguably more.

That single game re-wrote the history books as a man actually eclipsed Pele…. Nothing in the NFL or college football has ever come close
Pele has 3 WC.

Maradona has 2.

Reactions: Section124
Pele has 3 WC.

Maradona has 2.
World cups are only a part of the equation. Messi won more domestic trophies than Pele by 3x. Additionally, Messi and Argentina won the Copa America, something Pele never accomplished. Pele played at a time when most professionals held off season jobs as something else, Messi has made his defenders look silly for 15 years at a time the competition is incomparably better

I get most watched but can you explain why influential? Seems way too early to say that but soccer is already the most watched sport and it had the 2 biggest stars in the game.
Sure, it’s the game Lionel Messi bypassed Pele as the GOAT. He single handedly became the biggest, most recognizable global sports star overnight. There is not a country in the world he can walk down the street and not be recognized anymore. I promise anyone who played in the 1958 nfl game could walk down the street in the next city over and not be recognized

Sure, it’s the game Lionel Messi bypassed Pele as the GOAT. He single handedly became the biggest, most recognizable global sports star overnight. There is not a country in the world he can walk down the street and not be recognized anymore. I promise anyone who played in the 1958 nfl game could walk down the street in the next city over and not be recognized

Unitas? Gifford? I take your point despite the hyperbole.

World cups are only a part of the equation. Messi won more domestic trophies than Pele by 3x. Additionally, Messi and Argentina won the Copa America, something Pele never accomplished. Pele played at a time when most professionals held off season jobs as something else, Messi has made his defenders look silly for 15 years at a time the competition is incomparably better
I’d rather win the World Series than the pennant. But that’s me.🤷‍♂️

I mean this quite seriously, who is Gifford?

Frank Gifford? Really? Well I'll just say from 1950-2000 at a minimum Gifford would have been recognized throughout the country. Unfortunately 1990-2000 because of Kathie Lee.

I’d rather win the World Series than the pennant. But that’s me.🤷‍♂️
Tell me you don’t understand soccer without saying you don’t understand soccer…

That’s like saying Tiger Woods wasn’t the greatest golfer of our generation because he didn’t win the Olympics.

Messi has been the most recognized star for over 10 years now. And soccer was already the most popular sport in most nations. Messi did not become the GOAT because of this World Cup. Maybe he did in Argentina but to be honest his behavior this World Cup actually lessened his popularity to me. And I actually met him about 6 years ago. Plus outside of this area, he would be hardly be recognized in the US on any given day.

That being said I am not here to debate the 1958 NFL game. Completely didn’t scenario. At the end of the day Messi won 1 World Cup and you could argue should have had more.

Tell me you don’t understand soccer without saying you don’t understand soccer…

That’s like saying Tiger Woods wasn’t the greatest golfer of our generation because he didn’t win the Olympics.
The Olympics isn't the most important title/championship in golf.

Green Jacket = World Cup.

Copa Americana = President's Trophy

No doubt. But 1958 made the money worth worrying about.
It's kind of a virtuous cycle. One reason that game was so important was that it was the first NFL game to be nationally televised. That reflected the existing growth in fan interest in pro football; the game accelerated that. Rozelle's decision to split TV money evenly further accelerated fan interest by putting all the teams on pretty much an even financial field, thus encouraging parity.

Frank Gifford? Really? Well I'll just say from 1950-2000 at a minimum Gifford would have been recognized throughout the country. Unfortunately 1990-2000 because of Kathie Lee.
So real talk, that’s what reminded me now that you say something. Now I remember Kathy lee being married to a former football player. What that player did I couldn’t begin to tell you. Meanwhile find someone under 40 who doesn’t know who Pele was…

Messi has been the most recognized star for over 10 years now. And soccer was already the most popular sport in most nations. Messi did not become the GOAT because of this World Cup. Maybe he did in Argentina but to be honest his behavior this World Cup actually lessened his popularity to me. And I actually met him about 6 years ago. Plus outside of this area, he would be hardly be recognized in the US on any given day.

That being said I am not here to debate the 1958 NFL game. Completely didn’t scenario. At the end of the day Messi won 1 World Cup and you could argue should have had more.
His behavior? What behavior are you referencing? Are you talking about the GOALIE?

Real talk, you sound like a Butthurt Ronaldo/Madrid fan.

And you are right, they should have won the 2018 final however higuane couldn’t hit a wide open net

Last edited:
The Olympics isn't the most important title/championship in golf.

Green Jacket = World Cup.

Copa Americana = President's Trophy
Not even close….

It’s clear you don’t pay attention to soccer and understand how games and champions work. The World Cup is just one of many tournaments.

Was Bill Russell better than Jordan?

Not even close….

It’s clear you don’t pay attention to soccer and understand how games and champions work. The World Cup is just one of many tournaments.

Was Bill Russell better than Jordan?
Yes, the big one.

I would think that’s the one the players would want the most.

Would #7 trade his Euro for a WC ?

Last edited:
So real talk, that’s what reminded me now that you say something. Now I remember Kathy lee being married to a former football player. What that player did I couldn’t begin to tell you. Meanwhile find someone under 40 who doesn’t know who Pele was…

I'm not sure about 40, but I'll bet there are a lot under 30 in the US who learned about Pele this week.

Reactions: RC71
Yes, the big one.

I would think that’s the one the players would want the most.

Would #7 trade his Euro for a WC ?
Messi has a WC…. Thus the importance of last weeks final superseding all doubt that he is the goat from anyone who actually pays attention. It’s clear you are a part time every 4 years soccer fan man. Heck even prior to Messi most soccer fans knew maradona was more skilled than Pele. Pele played at at time where the global competition was minimal. There were maybe 5 good international teams when he played

Additionally above you tried saying maradona had 2 WC’s, he won 1. Again tell me you don’t watch soccer without saying you don’t watch soccer.

I’ll answer this way, would Messi give up the 28 more domestic cups he has than Pele for another WC? No shot

Last edited:
I'm not sure about 40, but I'll bet there are a lot under 30 in the US who learned about Pele this week.
Absolutely not. Kids know who Pele was. That’s like saying people under 30 don’t know who Magic Johnson was…. You don’t give them enough credit

Messi has a WC…. Thus the importance of last weeks final superseding all doubt that he is the goat from anyone who actually pays attention. It’s clear you are a part time every 4 years soccer fan man. Heck even prior to Messi most soccer fans knew maradona was more skilled than Pele. Pele played at at time where the global competition was minimal. There were maybe 5 good international teams when he played

Additionally above you tried saying maradona had 2 WC’s, he won 1. Again tell me you don’t watch soccer without saying you don’t watch soccer.

I’ll answer this way, would Messi give up the 28 more domestic cups he has than Pele for another WC? No shot
So if soccer is a pyramid would you agree the WC is the top with Euro, Champions, Copa, CONCAF, FA Cup, etc. lower?

As for Maradona, yep I’m wrong. Realized as soon as I hit send as I thought he was on the ‘78 squad. He sure aged poorly. I honestly thought he was much older.

And I find that interesting you feel that way about Messi not wanting/preferring another WC compared to the other ones.

I prefer City while my older boy follows Liverpool since as my Dublin cousin says they have the biggest following in Ireland. And I can remember watching ‘86 with the borders around the screen and listening to Andres on Telemundo. I wanted West Germany.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT