ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of teary eyes and long faces at Cameron

I wanted UNC to lose for our sake, but they were probably in anyway. I thoroughly enjoyed that. Hubert Davis did not substitute at all in the 2nd half as the entire starting five played every minute…love that.

Would’ve been a good moment for the Duke community if Duke and Coach K pulled this one out but UNC deserved to win. Very big moment in the basketball community looking forward to the ceremony.

The lesson to be learned here is, that no matter how big a game seems, no matter how important it is, no matter how right the moment seems, you still have to go out there and fight like hell to get it done

tomorrow versus PU ……. Cannot take anything for granted and must be on the mark from the start
Assume nothing

Last edited:
The lesson to be learned here is, that no matter how big a game seems, no matter how important it is, you still have to go out there and fight like hell to get it done

tomorrow versus PU ……. Cannot take anything for granted and must be on the mark from the start
Assume nothing

good point. It’s fun to think a crowd can will a team to win, but the players gotta play

So Coach K takes the mic in an impromptu moment to start off the festivities and honors.. apologized for fo the loss and called it unacceptable in an acceptable season... a season that is not over.

Later some AD-type mentioned how Coach K's teachings are "unbeatable"... and I swear I could see him wince.

So Coach K takes the mic in an impromptu moment to start off the festivities and honors.. apologized for fo the loss and called it unacceptable in an acceptable season... a season that is not over.

Later some AD-type mentioned how Coach K's teachings are "unbeatable"... and I swear I could see him wince.
Yep. They are 26-5 in a parity laden year. He acted like a cranky whining crybaby.
You know Pike would have acted with way more class

giphy.webp
https://media0.giphy.com/media/USnf...b43dea7634452dedfa01a3715&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Can't say that I didn't take a bit of glee in that. I get that it's emotional, but the tears of sadness over a loss from fans who have experienced nothing but winning seem a bit over the top.

With that said, I hope Pikiell is here for another 15 years and gets us 25% of what Coach K got Duke.

Not a big fan of UNC or Coach K. in K's initial talk he called the loss "unacceptable." What a lack of class. It's an insult to the UNC kids who just whipped his butt to say that losing to them is unacceptable. Furthermore, he might have congratulated UNC just a little on fighting like hell and winning at Cameron. Not a very classy speech. And then his second one was rambling.

Not a big fan of UNC or Coach K. in K's initial talk he called the loss "unacceptable." What a lack of class. It's an insult to the UNC kids who just whipped his butt to say that losing to them is unacceptable. Furthermore, he might have congratulated UNC just a little on fighting like hell and winning at Cameron. Not a very classy speech. And then his second one was rambling.
No doubt a great coach but he's generally been been a salty loser when things don't go his way.

Goes to show, returning players, emotional seniors and a legend retiring meant nothing.
They lost to a lesser team they beat by 20 earlier in the year
just a month or so ago it was

emotion seemed to work the other way.. revenge for the 20 point beatdown at UNC
not a fan of either.. but UNC's cheating scandal and how they reacted, "so sue me", was too much.. they cannot lose enough for me

I do wonder how they found seats for everyone who came back.. no way that building was code-capacity tonight

K is without a doubt the GOAT
Wish he would have won in his Cameron send-off, but like he said, their season isn't over

If they beat Cuse, Noles get him on Thursday at noon in Brooklyn. Ham has a winning record against K lifetime, and is 1-1 this year, but this Duke team is loaded, and sure to be highly motivated after last night's game

Either way, K has left a huge mark on the game. Most wins, 5 natty's, 15 conference titles, 13 tourney titles, 3 gold medals, etc. - and even after flirting w/the Lakers job, he came back to college.

Not a huge fan b/c of being a rival with FSU, but respect him and appreciate all he's done for the game and what he represents

K is without a doubt the GOAT
Wish he would have won in his Cameron send-off, but like he said, their season isn't over

If they beat Cuse, Noles get him on Thursday at noon in Brooklyn. Ham has a winning record against K lifetime, and is 1-1 this year, but this Duke team is loaded, and sure to be highly motivated after last night's game

Either way, K has left a huge mark on the game. Most wins, 5 natty's, 15 conference titles, 13 tourney titles, 3 gold medals, etc. - and even after flirting w/the Lakers job, he came back to college.

Not a huge fan b/c of being a rival with FSU, but respect him and appreciate all he's done for the game and what he represents
Need to disagree with GOAT.

Let me introduce you to JOHN WOODEN.

All done in 27 years not 40 something it took K

Also might have been the classiest most modest coach in history.

Didn't realize Wooden only did it for 27 years. Also in those days only had 32 teams, less games to win in NCAA tourney.

Reactions: RUsojo
Need to disagree with GOAT.

Let me introduce you to JOHN WOODEN.

All done in 27 years not 40 something it took K

Also might have been the classiest most modest coach in history.
I call K the GOAT bc he started behind the 8 ball w 2 Powers (UNC + State) in his backyard (and another legend (s) in Dean + Roy 8 miles away), built Duke from the ground up and achieved all that w a 64 team ncaa field and parity across the board

I take nothing away from Wooden - he’s a legend. But times were much different then. Having Al Cindor + Walton, no three point shot, no shot clock, etc - definitely not apples to apples

But for what K started with + competed against (in one of if not the toughest conference over the past 40 years) and where he took Duke is unrivaled in my book

I call K the GOAT bc he started behind the 8 ball w 2 Powers (UNC + State) in his backyard (and another legend (s) in Dean + Roy 8 miles away), built Duke from the ground up and achieved all that w a 64 team ncaa field and parity across the board

I take nothing away from Wooden - he’s a legend. But times were much different then. Having Al Cindor + Walton, no three point shot, no shot clock, etc - definitely not apples to apples

But for what K started with + competed against (in one of if not the toughest conference over the past 40 years) and where he took Duke is unrivaled in my book
That guy “Al Cindor” did have a great hook shot 😉

Duke had a pretty good history before he got there. He didn’t as you said build them from the ground up. “Duke Basketball” was a thing already.

Your book is wrong. 😛

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRnj and shields

Most people don't know that Al Cinder was the godson of the legendary Al Coholic.

K is a great coach, in the debate for greatest of all time...but people do forget that Bill Foster, yes, RU's Bill Foster took Duke to the National Final in 1978 (W Spanarkel, Gminski, etc.)...in fact, I was a Kid when my father & I went down to Greensboro to see RU in '76 Regionals, & we visited with Bill Foster on Campus on the Friday in between games. (my father knew him well). He was telling us he was getting this kid from Connecticut out of his junior year in high school to play next year (Mike Gminski),..Bob Wenzel was an assistant on that team..anyway, Duke had a dip after he left, and K had to build it back up. Yes, it was that class of '86 which started his 4 decades of success, but Duke already had a history..

Reactions: patk89
I despise UNC. I’d rather Duke beat them 100% of the time and K get all the accolades. I’ll cheer for a legendary coach who has built his reputation by and large the right way over some POS lying, no-show class promoting state university. I challenge any of you to tell me that Dean Smith or Roy Williams is more honorable than K.

• Haha
Reactions: gregkoko
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT