ADVERTISEMENT

A Pathetic Performance For The Ages

Yeah, nm all the nfl players he produced. Must be what you said.

How many of those NFL players were on the team prior to 2005?

Schiano did a great job building up the program to the point where it could take advantage of the changing conference landscape, and he did a great job capitalizing on the increased success to bring in better talent.

None of that changes the fact that his first build here benefited greatly from outside factors.

Yes , I wanted greg . Three years ago I would have told you Greg would turn this around . Today, I will tell you I hope Greg can turn it around.
I too wanted Greg based on how he built the program in the BE. I now realize I was wrong.
The game has apparently passed him by and nothing the Greg 2.0 apologists say will change that.

Plum - We all wanted Greg. Do you think Greg can still get it done here or is he toast?

Not everyone wanted Greg. There was a poll, and about 45% of the responses were "Only Happy if we Hire Greg" and about 5% were "Not Happy if we Hire Greg".... the other 50% were in varying degrees of "I have preferences, but want a thorough search conducted"

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/poll-time-for-the-late-october-which-coach-poll.177897

I was in the "Conduct a thorough search - no preference" bucket at the time, but had doubts that he'd be able to replicate the success he had the first time because circumstances were very different.

Ryan, Cruicshank, Monongai, The coaches haven't exactly put them in position to succeed.
Ryan couldn't outrun 2 DBs when he was hit in stride 10 yards in front of the closest DB today. That play HAS to be a touchdown. A good receiver has the speed to do that.

Cruickshank has been meh this year he has lost a step.

I like Monangai but Brown is bigger with similar speed and more power.

We really miss Bo this year and losing the cuse transfer hurt us bad.

Nobody on the OLine is an NFL draft prospect (at least not yet).

Reactions: Kbee3
Greg was the right guy to hold the fan base together, but with NIL and his total lack of offensive player development he's probably not the guy to keep the team together. Not sure anyone can, but at least the fan base stayed engaged through COVID and into this season. Absent some new circumstance, next year might be a ghost town around here.
Wins will hold the fan base together, if you do t win it doesn’t matter who is coaching

That is how Senior Day 2022 will be remembered . This is an all-time classic comedy of errors . Pathetic and embarrassing performance for a program that never misses an opportunity to disappoint.
This is a low point and that is saying something. This goes down as one of the all time Pathetic performances. No excuses for what happened out there
First half was competitive and would've been even, except for 4 ridiculously bonehead mistakes. Second half was a complete shitshow. This was like the Michigan game in that respect. It's why I think we're getting better and have more talent than we've had for awhile, but it's just hard to see it, given so many mistakes.

Just look at the first quarter, where we held them to 1 first down their first two possessions, while we had a nice drive ending in a FG to take a 3-0 lead and then we give up our 2nd KO return TD of the year - that just shouldn't happen. But even then, we bounce back with a nice return of our own and finish it off with a very nice TD to go up 10-7. And then we stuff them on D again, but eff it up with a fumble by Langan, resulting in an easy scoop and score to put PSU up 14-10 after the 1Q, without giving up more than one first down.

Then early in the 2Q, we finally get a break and recover a fumble on the PSU 24, but after no first downs, we miss a fairly short FG, which could've cut the lead to 14-13. And then on the ensuing PSU possession, we get a 3 and out and tackle the punter deep in PSU territory, but a very ticky-tack offsides was called on RU. Could've easily had points there. Then the wheels starting coming off as we did hold PSU, but got the ball back on our 4 yard line and Gavin threw a terrible pass for an INT when he had Ryan open for a huge gain. PSU, of course, converts the 30 yard TD drive and we're down 21-10 with 6 minutes left in the 2Q. PSU's offense finally gets untracked on their last drive of the half and they go up 28-10 in a half that was played pretty evenly from the LOS.

Then, in the 2nd half, we get a big play on our opening drive on the perfect slant pass to Ryan, getting the ball down to the PSU 20 and then the final nail in the coffin. Wimsatt gets destroyed on an all out blitz, fumbles and PSU takes it to the house - Wimsatt simply needs to see that coming and get the ball out (a little blocking would've helped too - or a running game). 35-10. Game over. Seems like we kind of gave up after that. To me it was a game with so much potential that we just gave away - not saying we would've won without those huge mistakes, but maybe it's only a 2-3 TD loss instead of 55-10.

Not everyone wanted Greg. There was a poll, and about 45% of the responses were "Only Happy if we Hire Greg" and about 5% were "Not Happy if we Hire Greg".... the other 50% were in varying degrees of "I have preferences, but want a thorough search conducted"

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/poll-time-for-the-late-october-which-coach-poll.177897

I was in the "Conduct a thorough search - no preference" bucket at the time, but had doubts that he'd be able to replicate the success he had the first time because circumstances were very different.
Notice my post on that thread…

I nailed the prediction

Right now, imo, next year is a crucial season for Schiano. It'll be his 4th year with a roster of his own guys, with a schedule that should be able to get us to 6 wins.
The biggest issue for Schiano going into next season is what to do about Wimsatt. At this point, he doesn’t appear to be the answer. At the moment, he’s not even mobile which was supposed to be his strength. Maybe that changes next season but his accuracy issues cannot be blamed on the OL the way they could under Ash. I’m not saying Sit would be having more success right now at RU, but it was fair to say he had no shot to be successful in Ash’ last 2 seasons because no QB could’ve gotten throws off with that line.

We’re better in the trenches. The D overall is much better. Sam Brown is a stud. Wide outs are not a strength but I’m not sure that matter with Wimsatt as some of his throws are just so inaccurate to this point.

Where Schiano is striking out is at QB. He has the surrounding blocks to take the next step next season barring the portal burning him.

Reactions: Unionst
in this era of offense, we remain offensive…almost a decade strong. It’s mind boggling we can’t even field an average offense. Our offense fails our D each game. Need to score 24-30 per game to be competitive.

I was fine with GS returning as I didn’t have confidence Hobbs could bring the right coach in, but in year 3 we lose at home by 45, in a comedy of errors. Facing 1-7 in league play.

Worst of all, what hope is there on offense right now. No young emerging talent other than Brown at skill position. Need a QB who can hit 50% of throws—not asking for much. Wimsatt not able or willing to run is useless.
Well with Bret Bielema as option #2, your confidence was off base.

I feel very much like i did in the 80s ans 90s under Anderson//Graber/Shea. Team could compete at times especially against weak sauce teams but would always get wrecked by Syracuse WVU Pitt and Penn State. It was a dream of mine to be able to knock one off and now its the same situation with the big 3 in the big 10 but perhaps more of a hopeless situation due the the overwhelming gap in program potential

I too wanted Greg based on how he built the program in the BE. I now realize I was wrong.
The game has apparently passed him by and nothing the Greg 2.0 apologists say will change that.

I am coming to this realization as well.

I was absolutely ecstatic when we hired him since: #1 he did it before AT RUTGERS and #2, largely because of #1 and the mess that Ash left, I really didn’t think we had a realistic shot at a better candidate.

Frankly -I still believe #2. I am not going to reinvent history and say that GS was the wrong choice AT THE TIME. Unfortunately it is starting to look that way in hindsight

People forget how bad Ash left this program( F’in scumbag). It was a monumental rebuild. It’s not the losing per se but the lack of noticeable year-to-year improvement that bothers me. As others have said above in GS1.0 while still losing you could see the improvement in 2004 and 2005 (before the breakout in 2006). Not nearly the case right now

I feel very much like i did in the 80s ans 90s under Anderson//Graber/Shea. Team could compete at times especially against weak sauce teams but would always get wrecked by Syracuse WVU Pitt and Penn State. It was a dream of mine to be able to knock one off and now its the same situation with the big 3 in the big 10 but perhaps more of a hopeless situation due the the overwhelming gap in program potential
Anderson and graber at least had some decent wins.
We haven’t beaten a ranked team in over a decade . Yesterday was pathetic.

Reactions: RUaMoose

I was absolutely ecstatic when we hired him since: #1 he did it before AT RUTGERS and #2, largely because of #1 and the mess that Ash left, I really didn’t think we had a realistic shot at a better candidate.

Frankly -I still believe #2. I am not going to reinvent history and say that GS was the wrong choice AT THE TIME. Unfortunately it is starting to look that way in hindsight

People forget how bad Ash left this program( F’in scumbag). It was a monumental rebuild. It’s not the losing per se but the lack of noticeable year-to-year improvement that bothers me. As others have said above in GS1.0 while still losing you could see the improvement in 2004 and 2005 (before the breakout in 2006). Not nearly the case right now
I agree I dont think it was the wrong hire at the time. What I do think was wrong was the ridiculous contract he was given, considering his poor reputation at the time. He made it seem like he was doing rutgers a huge favor by coming here, when literally no one else wanted him.

This is kinda where I am at . He needs to find a QB. Having a hs coach as the OC is not the way to build this

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Greg was the right guy to hold the fan base together, but with NIL and his total lack of offensive player development he's probably not the guy to keep the team together. Not sure anyone can, but at least the fan base stayed engaged through COVID and into this season. Absent some new circumstance, next year might be a ghost town around here.
NIL will hurt your team going forward in recruiting just like it's hurting my team in basketball. Unless Rutgers and Seton Hall figure out how to get NIL money both our programs will not be able to compete for top recruits in either sport.

NIL will hurt your team going forward in recruiting just like it's hurting my team in basketball. Unless Rutgers and Seton Hall figure out how to get NIL money both our programs will not be able to compete for top recruits in either sport.
Except in basketball there is much more parody and you can get a solid team that is capable of getting hot in March

Notice my post on that thread…

I nailed the prediction

Hey look at that!
I picked "Conduct a throughout search. I don't have a preference"!!

It's funny going back read some of these old threads from Oct 2019 to Dec 2019.
There was alot more "Only Schiano" than people probably remember.
Even a staff article titled "Schiano is the only man for the job."

Hey look at that!
I picked "Conduct a throughout search. I don't have a preference"!!

It's funny going back read some of these old threads from Oct 2019 to Dec 2019.
There was alot more "Only Schiano" than people probably remember.
Even a staff article titled "Schiano is the only man for the job."
Who knows how many posters put me on ignore because from jump street I hated the idea of hiring Greg back.

And kinda like Jerry Jones, those fans would rather lose while holding onto their beliefs than win and admit they were wrong.

Reality is this team is going NO WHERE with Greg Schiano at the helm. But people already know my thoughts on the subject.

Not sure there was another poster who nailed the perfection like me though, and yes, I’m boasting! Lok

Except in basketball there is much more parody and you can get a solid team that is capable of getting hot in March
Maybe this yr. but moving forward we are both in trouble . If you have been following recruiting you will see most 4& 5 star recruits are going to the highest bidder . There was one 4 star recruit we were both recruiting that just signed with Colorado $$$$$$ over both of us. I would think the same is happening to your football team .

Maybe this yr. but moving forward we are both in trouble . If you have been following recruiting you will see most 4& 5 star recruits are going to the highest bidder . There was one 4 star recruit we were both recruiting that just signed with Colorado $$$$$$ over both of us. I would think the same is happening to your football team .
Also I would think that Rutgers has double troubles. You have to come up with NIL money for both football and BB .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT