ADVERTISEMENT

About that extension for Ash...

Coaches now need an extension after 2 years of a 5 year contract? That is absurd
Coaches should always have the next four years covered for recruiting purposes...like I said, if the buy out is low then what is the risk? You NEVER see coaches just move on once their contract expires...they ALWAYS get bought out...Ash doesn't have a ton of leverage, perfect time to extend him with a low buy out

With a soon to be 6-17 record overall...
He could have made a bowl this year and I still wouldn't advocate for it. Not a fan of long term commitments on short term results especially if you're a monetarily challenged school like us. Coaches get all the benefit and schools take all the risk.

There may be exceptions to the rule but usually a large portion of the contract is guaranteed and in those circumstances not a fan of an extension. If you tell me there's little consequence financially then it doesn't bother me and do what you like but how often is a contract structured like that?

For a new coach with a five year contract, year three is the traditional fire-or-extend threshold.

Reactions: BlockR
Look to see if the kids have mailed it in. If so, footing gets wobbly. If not, then for now next year is locked. Of course we still keep the Men’s Soccer coach around so this parting may be a high bar to overcome.

An extension for Ash at this time was never a good idea. You don't extend a guy who's only won a total of six games in his career. And Ash has yet to show that he can evaluate quarterbacks or cobble together any semblance of a passing game. We've started the past two years with weak-armed quarterbacks, and we've gone about a year without throwing for over 200 yards in a game.

Coaches should always have the next four years covered for recruiting purposes...like I said, if the buy out is low then what is the risk? You NEVER see coaches just move on once their contract expires...they ALWAYS get bought out...Ash doesn't have a ton of leverage, perfect time to extend him with a low buy out

If the buyout is not incremental $ from what it is now then maybe I see your point. However, I doubt that would be the case. His agent wouldn't agree to something that doesn't lock in incremental cash. What would be the point...

I think Ash has done a tremendous job so far this year and next year I would expect a bowl berth. An extension might be a little early this year but if we win 6 or 7 games next year an extension is definitely in order.

The Schedule is lot more manageable next year, Ash should get the team to 6 wins and a Bowl. If so, extend him 2 years.

Reactions: RUskoolie
while I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Ash, I'm certainly not ready to make any long term commitment either. Yes we've improved in some aspects of the game, but let's be honest, after last years debacle there really wasn't anywhere to go but up. We are a pretty disciplined team, defense is much better, nothing special at all about our special teams, and our passing offense is absolutely abysmal. I'd rate player development as being average and recruiting as being disappointing so far. It's likely we'll finish the season 4-8, and for anyone who saw the Purdue and Maryland games, could VERY easily be 2-10. We didn't lose, so if we wind up 4-8, while better than last year, is still nothing overwhelming. Like I said, not looking for a replacement yet, but I see absolutely no reason why we need to jump at "locking up" Ash yet either.

The Schedule is lot more manageable next year, Ash should get the team to 6 wins and a Bowl. If so, extend him 2 years.
The schedule is NOT more manageable next year. If anything it is more difficult.

We have seven common opponents from 2017 to 2018 (our six B1G East compadres, plus Illinois). So five games define the variability of the schedule. Here goes:

2017: Washington, Eastern Michigan, Morgan State, Nebraska, Purdue
2018: Kansas, Texas State, Buffalo, Wisconsin, Northwestern.

Our 2018 B1G West opponents are much more difficult, at least on paper right now.

Our 2018 Non-P5 opponents are also more difficult, in that we no longer play a MEAC team to which we cannot possibly lose. We could lose to either Texas State or Buffalo, as we know only too well from our 2017 experience.

The 2018 schedule is only easier in one game, as Kansas is much easier than Washington.

I say all this not to hijack the thread, but actually to underscore your point. Going 6-6 will not be at all easy next year. If Ash can do it he will be thoroughly deserving of an extension.

the only one who raised the question about an extension was Politi....... and he's an assclown.......

why is this even a topic?

Reactions: JCKnight
Not sure I see an offense better next year. OL will be better but RB's well be considerably worse, and we might even start a freshman QB. Gio is what he is, and Lewis is slow and inaccurate. And if Ash has shown anything offensively it's that he has no clue what direction he really wants to go.

Next year is set up to win a minimum of 6 games, almost impossible not to with that OOC schedule. He will get an extension, the question is for how long and how big of a buyout. After a few 6/7 win seasons will the fan base demand a program that actually can compete for a division title that is the real question. After 40+ years of following Rutgers football, I doubt it, we have a lot of fans that will be more than satisfied beating their chests and screaming at the top of their lungs that we are the best of the rest, kind of a NJ thing.

Hey man... you’re making too much sense for this board. What are you, some kind of scientist? Get outta here!!!!

No need for an extension after two years. Recruiting should not be impacted with three years left on his deal. Let's see what next year brings.

the only one who raised the question about an extension was Politi....... and he's an assclown.......

why is this even a topic?

You know that people here have discussed the topic. Now that it's clear the extension is a no go, don't act like the topic was conjured up out of thin air.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT